Spirit-Filled Members: Please Comment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So what you are saying is that today there are Missionaries and Evangelists, which I agree.

You do realize today there are those self proclaiming themselves as Prophets and Apostles,(mostly associated with NAR and those influenced by them) who claim these Offices are for today? This is my contention.

Those who claim the gift of prophecy, often have contradictory messages and still one must resort to testing their utterances against Scripture.

1 John 4:1 NASBS
[1] Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Not that familiar with the NAR but I suspect that many of their teachings are heretical--which makes them false teachers, since they don't seem to correct the false teachings. The whole notion of separate "offices" is somewhat erroneous anyway, since, pastor, elder and overseer are somewhat interchangeable. There was no rigid hierarchy over the early churches (up to around 150 A.D.). It was thought that leadership would "emerge" rather than being selected by some kind of governing body over the local churches. Bishops began to govern the local churches under their purview and then, under Constantine, the entire hierarchy was moved into the grand basilicas. In contrast, Jesus said, in Matthew 23:8--->"Don't let anyone call you 'rabbi' because you only have one teacher and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters." It appears that humans are seduced by the power and wealth that comes with holding a privileged position in hierarchies.

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone prophesies, what do you call them?
Depends on what they prophecy. If it is a 'new' revelation, contradicting God's Word, I call them a false prophet.

I'm still waiting to hear these so called 'prophecies'.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
. There was no rigid hierarchy over the early churches (up to around 150 A.D.).

Hello Lady,

The letters of Clement and Ignatius clearly show otherwise, not to mention the clear ordination of presbyters and bishops in the NT, Timothy and Titus the most obvious examples...

Do you have evidence that it was otherwise?

Peace be with you!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If there are no more apostles (in its simplest sense, a church-founder) or prophets (one who gives a clear gospel message) then there are no more teachers. The key phrase is "appointed in the church".
You are partly right and partly wrong. Here are the spiritual gifts given to the Church "for the perfecting of the saints" at the time when the epistle was written (c 60 AD): And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

At that time the New Testament was incomplete and the apostles were still alive, while the prophets were active in the churches. By the time John wrote Revelation (c 96 AD) the New Testament was completed by him and the apostles had almost all passed on. John was the LAST NEW TESTAMENT PROPHET and God made that abundantly clear through him. Prophecy = divine revelation = the Word of God, and we treat the entire Bible as the Word of God.

Paul told us in 2 Timothy 3:16,17 that "ALL SCRIPTURE" ( the Word of God) was totally sufficient for everything needed by Christians as well as the unbelieving world (which needs the Gospel). So now why are some Christians hankering after prophets, and claiming that there are prophets among us? Because we are in the age of FALSE PROPHETS (as Christ warned) and people want to have their ears tickled.

Also it is the elders who would be appointed in the churches, and ideally those elders would be either evangelists, or pastors, or teachers, or governors, or helpers. The gifts are given by the Spirit but the office of elder (pastor/elder/bishop) is according to biblical qualifications.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have explained to you why that would be a fool's move. Explain to me why you cannot tell me about your professed experience in the prophetic. Or are you just "blowing smoke"? :)
Why would it be a fool's move, if you are the ones claiming Prophets exist today? I think it's a fools move to claim there are Prophets today, but can't point to one. LOL

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on what they prophecy. If it is a 'new' revelation, contradicting God's Word, I call them a false prophet.

I'm still waiting to hear these so called 'prophecies'.

And if it's not "new" revelation?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I explained it to you. Apparently you're not reading my posts, and since you're not I'll move on.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him
Fine, in the meantime I'll ignore claims of Apostles and Prophets for today until one of you bring forth living evidence of such.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And if it's not "new" revelation?
Then it is simply Bible exposition or exhortation, and one does not need to be a prophet for that purpose. Once you get a clear understanding of the meaning of Bible prophecy, it is impossible to separate it from direct divine revelation. Which is equivalent to Scripture.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So far, there has been no answer to my challenge.
Right. Because you're standing in front of everyone with boxing gloves on, punching your fists together, saying, Who's first!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then it is simply Bible exposition or exhortation, and one does not need to be a prophet for that purpose. Once you get a clear understanding of the meaning of Bible prophecy, it is impossible to separate it from direct divine revelation. Which is equivalent to Scripture.
I was hoping for Prism's answer . . .

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are partly right and partly wrong. Here are the spiritual gifts given to the Church "for the perfecting of the saints" at the time when the epistle was written (c 60 AD): And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

At that time the New Testament was incomplete and the apostles were still alive, while the prophets were active in the churches. By the time John wrote Revelation (c 96 AD) the New Testament was completed by him and the apostles had almost all passed on. John was the LAST NEW TESTAMENT PROPHET and God made that abundantly clear through him. Prophecy = divine revelation = the Word of God, and we treat the entire Bible as the Word of God.

Paul told us in 2 Timothy 3:16,17 that "ALL SCRIPTURE" ( the Word of God) was totally sufficient for everything needed by Christians as well as the unbelieving world (which needs the Gospel). So now why are some Christians hankering after prophets, and claiming that there are prophets among us? Because we are in the age of FALSE PROPHETS (as Christ warned) and people want to have their ears tickled.

Also it is the elders who would be appointed in the churches, and ideally those elders would be either evangelists, or pastors, or teachers, or governors, or helpers. The gifts are given by the Spirit but the office of elder (pastor/elder/bishop) is according to biblical qualifications.

The primary purpose of the OT prophets was spiritual leadership (and, in some cases, such as the case of Moses, physical leadership too). God caused them to do miracles as a way of authenticating them to the people. He told them to destroy "prophets" whose prophecies did not happen. But there was yet another purpose in prophecy--to tell of events in the distant future. Thus, Isaiah spoke of the Messiah 700 years before His advent. Similarly, End-time events were predicted by the prophet, Daniel. Jesus Himself, predicted End-time events and spoke of Daniel's prophecies (see Matthew 24). Did you forget that in the End-times: " 'In the last days,' God says, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy..." Joel 2:28-32 and restated in Acts 2:17-18.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Because you're standing in front of everyone with boxing gloves on, punching your fists together, saying, Who's first!
What do you want me to do with what I perceive to be false teachings? Pass out Graham crackers, milk and Play Doh?

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (KJV) (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds, Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In post #83 I responded to your comment "However, there are still "prophets" today..".
Let's go back and I'll ask 'WHO?' or "What is their message?"
If you can't answer this, I'll just assume you are either making this up, or wishing it so.
I can't believe how many are saying there are Prophets today, but can't point to just one.
How can I answer?
Who: Those who are chosen by God...
Their message: Whatever the Holy Spirit says.
You are challenging me to prove to you the existence of prophets.. well that is like asking someone to prove the existence of the Holy Spirit....it is by faith and personal encounters that people come to believe. You ask for something I cannot give you...only He can.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can I answer?
With words that all here can understand.
Who: Those who are chosen by God...
Perhaps none today, since none can be produced.
Their message: Whatever the Holy Spirit says.
How will you know it is the Holy Spirit speaking and not an evil spirit?
You are challenging me to prove to you the existence of prophets.. well that is like asking someone to prove the existence of the Holy Spirit....it is by faith and personal encounters that people come to believe. You ask for something I cannot give you...only He can.
There are prophets...mainly false prophets.I can prove their existence by their words. I have encountered many false prophets. I have not yet met a true Prophet...

Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 2:3 (KJV) How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With words that all here can understand.

Perhaps none today, since none can be produced.

How will you know it is the Holy Spirit speaking and not an evil spirit?

There are prophets...mainly false prophets.I can prove their existence by their words. I have encountered many false prophets. I have not yet met a true Prophet...

Hebrews 1:1-2 (KJV) God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Hebrews 2:3 (KJV) How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
Everyone can give an example of a false prophet. Why call them a false "prophet" ..why not just call them false "teachers" or false "witnesses" or liars?
My point is you can't present only one side of the equation without the other side being present as well.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Everyone can give an example of a false prophet. Why call them a false "prophet" ..why not just call them false "teachers" or false "witnesses" or liars?
My point is you can't present only one side of the equation without the other side being present as well.
Good quotations there from Hebrews 1, anyway...

Reactions: Heart2Soul