• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do that with your understanding, not with your works.

Everyone who is born again, already exists IN The Spirit of God.
Yet, you are told to "walk in it".

Why do you need to be told to "walk in it" if your born again Spirit, already exists "IN Christ"?

A.) Because exiting in it, and walking in it, are not the same.

To exist in it, happens by BIRTH, and walking in it, by revelation knowledge.

Most believers think that walking in the spirit, is to try to be like Christ by behavior.
Thats not it.
And some think that speaking in their prayer language is walking in the spirit.
That's not it.

I don't need to be told, silly. With God inside me making me a new creature that loves righteousness as part of my divine nature, I walk free from sin naturally. I an in Christ, and He is in me. Get it?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most believers think that walking in the spirit, is to try to be like Christ by behavior.
Thats not it.
And some think that speaking in their prayer language is walking in the spirit.
That's not it.

Right. That is just trying to keep the Ten Commandments with your sin nature still intact. The law made no one righteous. But having the Spirit inside gives us divine power to not sin as part of our new nature.

I don't understand why you can't understand what I'm saying even after multiple times. Is English not your first language? Is it Hebrew?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But having the Spirit inside gives us divine power to not sin as part of our new nature.

No it doesn’t.

It gets you to:

“Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:2)

So we are to:

“Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.” (Colossians 3:5-7)

And because we do these things:

“Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not…” (1 John 3:6)

Because:

“…Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:16)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh. Please partake of this.

Philippians 3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, 5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; 7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. 8 For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.

9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, 11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

Here we have proof that every saving faith is initiated by God "He who has begun a good work in you" Carried through and completed by God "will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" and that every good work attendant to it is instigated and enabled by God "11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ," so that God gets all the credit "to the glory and praise of God."

Mmmm.. Yum. I don't know about you but a good stuffing meal makes me feel sooo...., Sleeepy.

That is if you do not quench the Spirit. 2 Peter 1:5-11.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Uh huh. He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;.

Daniel,

You are like that blind scientist, in a classroom, who teaches the "big bang theory" but forgets to tell the class where all the stuff originally came from that "banged".

So, its the same with your "lets start after the start and pretend this is the start", nonsense

Notice.
He that Began a Good work in you....
= That is Salvation......started by God.
And it, this REDEMPTION, will be COMPLETED, until the day of Jesus.
That is GOD Completing the Salvation HE BEGAN, and not you doing it.

But here is the part you forgot to tell the Class...

Before GOD will START your Salvation IN YOU.......You have to do this...>"faith comes by HEARING", and "hearing by the Word of God..""
AND...
You have to do this..

= "ALL THAT BELIEVE"....>"Shall be saved".

So, you forgot the part about BELIEVING the Gospel, that initiates God starting Salvation, in those who have BELIEVED.

Daniel, You left out the REASON that God "starts your salvation".
Is that because you don't understand this verse, (likely) or is it because you've never done this, yourself? (hopefully not).

LOOK HERE :

"the work of God, is that you BELIEVE ON JESUS, whom GOD sent", and if you will then.. Jesus told YOU..

"ALL that believe in me, I give unto them, Eternal Life, and they shall never perish".

Now, Daniel, do you see the BELIEVING PART that has to occur before the "God START's" Part?
Be sure you see it before you die and meet Him.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:2)

Yes, but that is to baby Christians living up to the knowledge they have, but have not matured in all the fruit of the Spirit to never stumble. 2 Peter 1:2-11

2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but that is to baby Christians living up to the knowledge they have

No.

Baby Christians do these things:

“For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?” (1 Corinthians 3:3-5)

And we can fall back into these baby things if we stop walking in the Spirit; no matter how long one has been in the faith.

DanielConway

May 8, 2022
columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, Daniel, do you see the BELIEVING PART that has to occur before the "God START's" Part?
Be sure you see it before you die and meet Him.

No, I do not. The scripture you quoted itself described believing on Christ as a work. The scripture I quoted expands on that, positioning every work we do in the faith that is acceptable to God as of God. The wording does not allow for exceptions, therefor even the work of believing is of God. Why do you want to snatch away some of the Glory that is rightly God's due for yourself? Are you greedy? Consider:

[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Last edited:

DanielConway

May 8, 2022
columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
< Prev12345621Next >View in Context

2 Grace to you and peace be multiplied in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; 3 seeing that his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that called us by his own glory and virtue; 4 whereby he hath granted unto us his precious and exceeding great promises; that through these ye may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in that world by lust.

5 Yea, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply virtue; and in [your] virtue knowledge; 6 and in [your] knowledge self-control; and in [your] self-control patience; and in [your] patience godliness; 7 and in [your] godliness brotherly kindness; and in [your] brotherly kindness love.

Lets take a good look at the wording of the text you provide as proof that we must somehow, in our own strength, make our election good enough for God to accept. Read 3 seeing that his divine power hath granted unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that called us by his own glory and virtue; This wording inescapably points to God as the sole author of what is being called forth in us in our Christian walk. This of an ends includes bringing someone to us to preach it to us, as God is the master of both the mere flesh and the supernatural after all. Now look at 5 Yea, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply virtue; etc. It does not say ADD to on your part all diligence, etc. which would imply an appeal to our will, but ADDING, implying an outside source is doing the work here, or perhaps a now indwelling agent that is not innate to our fleshly active. In fact the antecedant center of purpose as God in the preceding verse implies that it is him.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Uh huh. Please partake of this.

Philippians 3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, 4 always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, 5 for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; 7 just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart, inasmuch as both in my chains and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers with me of grace. 8 For God is my witness, how greatly I long for you all with the affection of Jesus Christ.

9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, 10 that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, 11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

Here we have proof that every saving faith is initiated by God "He who has begun a good work in you" Carried through and completed by God "will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" and that every good work attendant to it is instigated and enabled by God "11 being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ," so that God gets all the credit "to the glory and praise of God."

Mmmm.. Yum. I don't know about you but a good stuffing meal makes me feel sooo...., Sleeepy.
Hi @DanielConway Great verse there in Philippians 1.6..........faith a work of God from the beginning in the believer's experience.......

Reactions: amigo de christo

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He sure talks like it, but when you read all of his posts, you find he doesn't. What he doesn't have are the fruit of the Spirit to walk in. Don't try to outdo him with snide remarks, friend, or you'll be quenching the Holy Spirit yourself.
He doesn't believe a saint can be lost? According to what I've read of him, he doesn't believe so, and appealed to Matthew 7:21-23 as "proof" for it.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

Baby Christians do these things:

“For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?” (1 Corinthians 3:3-5)

And we can fall back into these baby things if we stop walking in the Spirit; no matter how long one has been in the faith.

Many "Christians" who do not live up the the standards of Christianity are not filled with the Spirit yet, but are still being drawn by the Holy Spirit to complete repentance. And many of those love sin so much they follow false teachers that confirm they are still saved because "we will always sin until we leave these carnal bodies." (That is one huge group in Protestantism in particular whose doctrines have infiltrated many denominations started after the beginning of the Reformation.)

DanielConway

May 8, 2022
columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1stCenturyLady, please consider the example of the John in Revelation. The Roman Church is unanimous in adjudicating that St. John had attained unto sainthood at that point, and yet we read

Revelation 22:
6 The angel said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God who inspires the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.”

7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll.”

8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”

Here we have the apostle Saint John openly committing a Cardinal sin, worshiping an angel, well past his point of presumed ordination. You think about that for a bit.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we have the apostle Saint John openly committing a Cardinal sin, worshiping an angel, well past his point of presumed ordination. You think about that for a bit.

That was not a 'Cardinal sin' whatever that is. It was an unintentional sin of awe from a pure human nature. The angel set him straight. And I imagine John stood up and obeyed.

What are you trying to protest against me? More likely against the Word of God, that says we are free from sin, and 1 John 3:4-5 which tells the type of sin we are freed from. 1 John 1:7 shows that even as we walk in the Spirit, Jesus is still cleansing us from some type of sin. What type. 1 John 5:16-17 shows us. And unintentional sin is a sin not unto death, so Jesus is cleansing us of those sins as we continue walking in the Spirit. 1 John 3:4 is a sin unto death.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He doesn't believe a saint can be lost? According to what I've read of him, he doesn't believe so, and appealed to Matthew 7:21-23 as "proof" for it.

He actually pointed to Matthew 7:21-23? That is proof that we can be lost if we turn to wickedness when we've already been sanctified! Hebrews 10:26-31.

I did read in this thread that he said a Christian can lose their salvation. I showed it to you as I remember.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady Great passage there; Peter's Epistles are short, but full of meaning.........

Because of verses 8-11, I believe that verses 5-7 should be taught from the pulpits weekly and said in unison (like the Lord's Prayer) until everyone has memorized it. I did, and it keeps me in the fear of the Lord. Salvation is not guaranteed as some teach, otherwise why would Paul warn us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Because of verses 8-11, I believe that verses 5-7 should be taught from the pulpits weekly and said in unison (like the Lord's Prayer) until everyone has memorized it. I did, and it keeps me in the fear of the Lord. Salvation is not guaranteed as some teach, otherwise why would Paul warn us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling?
We don't get assurance by participation in ritual, but by resting on the finished work of Christ (John 19.30: "It is finished". This is tremendously assuring....) :)

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't get assurance by participation in ritual, but by resting on the finished work of Christ (John 19.30: "It is finished". This is tremendously assuring....) :)

Yes, what was finished was the Old Covenant. His death made way for the will and testament of the New Covenant that we inherited.

Reactions: farouk

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He actually pointed to Matthew 7:21-23? That is proof that we can be lost if we turn to wickedness when we've already been sanctified! Hebrews 10:26-31.

I did read in this thread that he said a Christian can lose their salvation. I showed it to you as I remember.
Not quite. He argued that only those Jesus never knew are told to depart, therefore if you're Once Saved, then you're Always Saved.