The Gospel Vs Modern Day Evangelism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
According to the Gospel:The bible says that in order to be saved or be a born again Christian you have to repent and have faith in Jesus Christ. And once the father has begun a good work in you he will finish it.The following scriptures deal with the plan of salvation. Isaiah 55:77 aLet the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his bthoughts; And let him creturn to the LORD, And He will have dcompassion on him, And to our God, For He will eabundantly pardon. John 1:12; 3:3; 5:2412 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become achildren of God, even bto those who believe in His name,3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one ais born 1again he cannot see bthe kingdom of God.” 24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and abelieves Him who sent Me,has eternal life, and bdoes not come into judgment, but has cpassed out of death into life.Romans 10:9-10; 139 1that aif you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and bbelieve in your heart thatcGod raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, 1resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth heconfesses, 2resulting in salvation. 13 for “aWHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”Ephesians 2:8-98 For aby grace you have been saved bthrough faith; and 1that not of yourselves, it is cthegift of God; 9 anot as a result of works, so that bno one may boast. Titus 3:5-75 aHe saved us, bnot on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, butcaccording to His mercy, by the dwashing of regeneration and erenewing by the HolySpirit, 6 awhom He poured out upon us brichly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by His grace we would be made aheirs 1according to the hope ofeternal life. 1 John 5:11-1311 And the testimony is this, that God has given us aeternal life, and bthis life is in HisSon. 12 aHe who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not havethe life. 13 aThese things I have written to you who bbelieve in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have ceternal life.Revelation 3:2020 ‘Behold, I stand aat the door and bknock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, cI will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me. (Referring to knocking on a door of a church)Modern Day Evangelism:When people come forward to be saved by Jesus Christ or to attain salvation theEvangelist will ask them four questions.1. Do you believe that you are a sinner? When they answer yes they will proceed.2. Do you want to go to heaven? When they answer yes they will proceed with the next question.3. Do you want to pray and ask Jesus Christ into your heart? When they answer yes and pray the prayer they will ask the final question.4. Were you sincere? When they answer yes they will declared that person saved.Now let’s review this…First off, saying that you are a sinner means absolutely nothing. To prove my point just ask the devil if he is a sinner and he would probably reply, “Yes, and a mighty fine one at that.” We are all sinners. We were born sinners. We were conceived from our mother’s womb as a sinner and God hating. The question is NOT are you a sinner. The questions is this, has god so worked in your heart that the sins you once loved you now hate. Now, when the evangelist asks if you want to go to heaven it also means absolutely nothing. Everybody wants to go to heaven. They just don’t want God to be there when they get there. The devil even wants to go to heaven so long as he doesn’t have to obey God. So the question is NOT do you want to go to heaven. The real question is since the gospel has been preached to you, has the holy spirit worked in your heart in such a way that the God you once hated and ignored you now love and deem worthy above all else. For the third question about praying and asking Jesus into your heart in order to be saved is in fact not found in the bible. The bible clearly says to repent of your sins and believe in Christ in order to be saved. So it isn’t about praying one prayer and being saved. It’s about understanding what it means to sin against a holy and just God and why you need Jesus in your life to help you turn away from your old self and be born a new creature that lives like Jesus. To be sure that you were saved you will be born a new creature and you will continue to repent and continue to have faith. The evidence that you have been truly born again is this. You will continue to repent of your sins and you will continue to believe in Jesus Christ and when you stray off that narrow path God will discipline you and put you right back on it.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Well, the concept of evangilism isnt really a bad concept in itself. I cant really decide a persons own salvation and all i can say is be on the alert and stay disciplined in the word.

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
Well, the concept of evangilism isnt really a bad concept in itself. I cant really decide a persons own salvation and all i can say is be on the alert and stay disciplined in the word.
I'm not saying evangelism is bad by any means. What I am saying is beginning about 50 years ago many evangelical churches have been using the method above to get people saved. The problem with this however is that these people truly believe they are saved and they will go living the rest of their lives like they always did thinking it's okay because they got saved once and if you ask them how they know this they will say because some evangelist who should of spent more time reading the bible instead of preaching told them they were saved. Have you not read...Matthew 7:21-23 21 “aNot everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 “aMany will say to Me on bthat day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many 1miracles?’ 23 “And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; adepart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’This is what is happening to the majority of American Christians. They declare Jesus Christ as lord but they continue to live in carnality for the rest of their lives. So on that day they will stand before Christ and be judged and he will say depart from me you who practice lawlessness which means that they believed Jesus to be their lord and savior and yet they lived their lives as if he never gave them a law to obey. The evangelists will do this so they can brag about how many people they got to come forward and how the attendance at their church is increasing. Salvation isn't just a little prayer that you were sincere about. Salvation is gained through understanding what it means to sin against a holy god and once you understand that you will truly feel repentance for them. You are supposed to repent and put all of your faith in Jesus Christ and do the will of the father. Also the signs that you are saved or born again will be that you will continue to repent and have faith. When you start to walk off that path of righteousness God will discipline you and put you back on it.Also I am not judging people and if they have salvation or not. In the bible it says that not only the gate to heaven is narrow but the path is narrow. You cannot deny the fact that many people claim that they believe in Jesus Christ but they live their lives doing the things of the world and loving and smelling like the world. They enjoy all the things that God hates and they think it's okay. A true Christian would not live like that.

gumby

May 29, 2009
I do agree that alot of people as you are saying dont live a rightious and pure life but then again were all natural born sinners and the most i can say is try to live an honest life and please god and things will pan out
smile.gif

Jimmy Engle

Jun 17, 2009
New York
I do agree that alot of people as you are saying dont live a rightious and pure life but then again were all natural born sinners and the most i can say is try to live an honest life and please god and things will pan out
smile.gif
I'm just trying to shed some light on a serious problem that is going on. People need to realize that salvation is not a flu shot. It's not a prayer that you pray one time and then you are saved and everything is okay. If there is a lost doctrine in the church today it is the lost doctrine of regeneration. Regeneration is not merely a human decision. You do not get saved merely because you've decided to jump out of the line going to hell in order to jump into the line going to heaven. Salvation is a supernatural work of God where by the power of God is manifest to such a degree that it parallels or exceeds the very power of god manifested in the creation of the universe. The universe was created out of nothing. But when God saves a man he recreates them out of a corrupt mass. When people have truly repented, when people have truly believed, there is a work of regeneration going on in which that person becomes a new creature. And as a new creature with a new nature they will live a different life. The evidence of regeneration is that your life is being transformed. If any man live in Christ he is a new creature and new creatures live a different way. The evidence of conversion is not a decision card filled out. It's a life lived out. This is something I just can't stress enough.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Read Romans 8:1-31 it covers a good majority of what your talking about
smile.gif

gumby

May 29, 2009
Thanks Gumby...that pretty much proves my point and then some.
Your welcome jimmy, and for the record i was never trying to disprove your point. I agree that christians these day domt need to be svaed just once by some one hit wonder pastor and call themselves saved forever. People need to live it.