The great commission?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn’t Peter go directly to the Gentiles, did he not understand Jesus, was he being disobedient, or is there a current misunderstanding?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why didn’t Peter go directly to the Gentiles, did he not understand Jesus, was he being disobedient, or is there a current misunderstanding?
I believe that you are the one with the misunderstanding. Here is the way the Great Commission was to be fulfilled (Acts 1:8):

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me
(1)both in Jerusalem,
(2)and in all Judaea,
(3) and in Samaria,
(4) and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Peter was PERFECTLY OBEDIENT. He preached the Gospel is Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost and 3,000 souls were saved. Following that thousands of other Jews were also saved, first in Jerusalem, then in Judea, and then in Samaria. A short while later Peter went to the house of the Gentile Cornelius, and many Gentiles were saved.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that you are the one with the misunderstanding. Here is the way the Great Commission was to be fulfilled (Acts 1:8):

But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me
(1)both in Jerusalem,
(2)and in all Judaea,
(3) and in Samaria,
(4) and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Peter was PERFECTLY OBEDIENT. He preached the Gospel is Jerusalem on the day of Pentecost and 3,000 souls were saved. Following that thousands of other Jews were also saved, first in Jerusalem, then in Judea, and then in Samaria. A short while later Peter went to the house of the Gentile Cornelius, and many Gentiles were saved.
So he retired after Cornelius, or did he go into all the nations?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Waiting on him,

While there was a general mandate, I don't think that changed whether Jesus had individual plans for each person, what part they would play.

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Waiting on him,

While there was a general mandate, I don't think that changed whether Jesus had individual plans for each person, what part they would play.

Much love!
I’m learning, it seems as if Paul didn’t see himself as receiving the commission?
1 Corinthians 1:17 KJV
[17] For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m learning, it seems as if Paul didn’t see himself as receiving the commission?
1 Corinthians 1:17 KJV
[17] For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Interesting, isn't it!

:)

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting, isn't it!

:)

Much love!
What are the nations you referenced in one of your other posts? If you will. I can’t remember the thread, but I’m questioning as to rather the commission was given to all or only His disciples.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the nations you referenced in one of your other posts? If you will. I can’t remember the thread, but I’m questioning as to rather the commission was given to all or only His disciples.
I was mentioning what some have called the Table of Nations in Genesis 10, the geneology that gives the origins of 70 nations,

5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Some have surmised that the "upwards of 500" (1 Cor 15) who saw Jesus at the same time after His resurrection were here in Galilee for this commission, and Jesus was including them also.

To the church, Jesus says, some I have given apostles, and some prophets, and some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers.

Not all are apostles, so not all are sent out.

After Herod killed James, and threatened to kill Peter, wasn't this when a great many Christians left Jerusalem, heading out into the world? A diaspora . . . a seeding . . .

Much love!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was mentioning what some have called the Table of Nations in Genesis 10, the geneology that gives the origins of 70 nations,

5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Some have surmised that the "upwards of 500" (1 Cor 15) who saw Jesus at the same time after His resurrection were here in Galilee for this commission, and Jesus was including them also.

To the church, Jesus says, some I have given apostles, and some prophets, and some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers.

After Herod killed James, and threatened to kill Peter, wasn't this when a great many Christians left Jerusalem, heading out into the world? A diaspora . . . a seeding . . .

Much love!
This is good information, thank you.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rome and Antioch, are not all the nations.
Jesus' instructions were to the apostles not just to Peter.
No single individual could do it alone. Nor would one lifetime be enough.
That is why Jesus founded a Church to carry out the commission through space and time..

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus' instructions were to the apostles not just to Peter.
No single individual could do it alone. Nor would one lifetime be enough.
That is why Jesus founded a Church to carry out the commission through space and time..
I get it, but I’ve not been commissioned to baptize anyone, far as I can tell

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul said I wasn’t sent of Christ to baptize.
I guess he felt the same as me?

I do note though he said he’s to preach the gospel, which I also am compelled as well.

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
The call was given to the Church, not just to Peter. We are all to go to "the nations". We are all to share the Good News of Jesus with the "unreached" around us.

Another factor was the significant difficulty with travel during that time. It was hard to go from place to place and took a great deal of time. God is fulfilling His plan through His Church, which includes Peter, Paul, myself and if you are a child of God, you.

Reactions: kcnalp

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The call was given to the Church, not just to Peter. We are all to go to "the nations". We are all to share the Good News of Jesus with the "unreached" around us.

Another factor was the significant difficulty with travel during that time. It was hard to go from place to place and took a great deal of time. God is fulfilling His plan through His Church, which includes Peter, Paul, myself and if you are a child of God, you.
Paul claimed the Gospel had been successfully preached to every creature under heaven?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Have you read Foxes book of Martyrs