The Rapture is not Biblical!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of the rapture is a Protestant addition to Futurist interpretations of the book of Revelation. It was not invented to scare people but evolved from the Roman Catholic Church’s attempts to suppress the Protestant Reformers in the 16th century. Martin Luther through intense study of the Scriptures concluded that justification comes through faith in Jesus Christ and not through the church, who claimed that “Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus,” (There is no salvation outside the church). Furthermore, Luther and the Reformers who followed in his footsteps all agreed that the biblical Antichrist and the man of sin (II Thessalonians 2) referred to Papal Rome. To defend its reputation, the Catholic Church counterattacked Luther and the Protestant Reformers. At the Council of Trent in 1545, the Jesuits, a society notorious for intrigue and sedition, were commissioned to develop a new interpretation of the scriptures to counteract Protestant applications of the Bible’s Antichrist prophecies to Rome. Francisco Ribera, a prominent Jesuit priest, thus concluded that all prophecies of the Antichrist and the man of sin applied not to the Catholic Church or Christians, but to someone who would come in the distant future, in the biblical last days.

Three centuries later, this Jesuit Futurism, originally confined to the Roman Church, found its way into Protestants of the Church of England. John Darby, a Protestant pastor, lawyer, theologian, and respected Christian started the Dispensational movement, whereby God deals with mankind in major dispensations or periods. He promoted the last-day rapture to be followed by the appearance of the man Antichrist. Later, many Protestants have accepted the rapture doctrine and made it dogma.

The rapture doctrine is not found in the Bible. Though Moses, Enoch and Elijah were taken away by God at the end of their lives, they were not taken to heaven alive since it is written: “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable,” (I Corinthians 15: 50). The Scriptures say of Moses: “no man knows his burial place to this day,” (Deuteronomy 34: 6). Moses was not “raptured” into heaven still alive. Likely, Enoch and Elijah died naturally, and God disposed of their bodies. Furthermore, we find in Revelation 2: 10: “Be thou faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life.” Death is thus a prerequisite to inherit the kingdom of heaven. In addition, I Corinthians 15: 22 states: “As in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.” Clearly, no one is raptured into heaven alive, and faithfulness to God unto death determines the destiny of each Christian.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of the rapture is a Protestant addition to Futurist interpretations of the book of Revelation. It was not invented to scare people but evolved from the Roman Catholic Church’s attempts to suppress the Protestant Reformers in the 16th century. Martin Luther through intense study of the Scriptures concluded that justification comes through faith in Jesus Christ and not through the church, who claimed that “Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus,” (There is no salvation outside the church). Furthermore, Luther and the Reformers who followed in his footsteps all agreed that the biblical Antichrist and the man of sin (II Thessalonians 2) referred to Papal Rome. To defend its reputation, the Catholic Church counterattacked Luther and the Protestant Reformers. At the Council of Trent in 1545, the Jesuits, a society notorious for intrigue and sedition, were commissioned to develop a new interpretation of the scriptures to counteract Protestant applications of the Bible’s Antichrist prophecies to Rome. Francisco Ribera, a prominent Jesuit priest, thus concluded that all prophecies of the Antichrist and the man of sin applied not to the Catholic Church or Christians, but to someone who would come in the distant future, in the biblical last days.

Three centuries later, this Jesuit Futurism, originally confined to the Roman Church, found its way into Protestants of the Church of England. John Darby, a Protestant pastor, lawyer, theologian, and respected Christian started the Dispensational movement, whereby God deals with mankind in major dispensations or periods. He promoted the last-day rapture to be followed by the appearance of the man Antichrist. Later, many Protestants have accepted the rapture doctrine and made it dogma.

The rapture doctrine is not found in the Bible. Though Moses, Enoch and Elijah were taken away by God at the end of their lives, they were not taken to heaven alive since it is written: “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable,” (I Corinthians 15: 50). The Scriptures say of Moses: “no man knows his burial place to this day,” (Deuteronomy 34: 6). Moses was not “raptured” into heaven still alive. Likely, Enoch and Elijah died naturally, and God disposed of their bodies. Furthermore, we find in Revelation 2: 10: “Be thou faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life.” Death is thus a prerequisite to inherit the kingdom of heaven. In addition, I Corinthians 15: 22 states: “As in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.” Clearly, no one is raptured into heaven alive, and faithfulness to God unto death determines the destiny of each Christian.
Good run down.

Reactions: Hillsage

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure the Rapture is Biblical.
1 Thessalonians 4
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

How could it be any clearer?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thessalonians 4
16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.

Simply stated. There it is in Scripture.

There is coming a day when the living believers will be caught up and transformed, the corruptible putting on incorruptibility, mortal putting on immortality.

Philippians 3:20-21
(20) For our citizenship is in Heaven, from where we also wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
(21) who will transform our body of humiliation, for it to be conformed to His body of glory, according to the working of Him to be able even to subject all things under Himself.

Much love!

Reactions: Taken

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken,

It's more of simply a taking up, and it did happen when Jesus came for his bride. Atleast in my opinion, anyway. I do not except a future rapture of people rising to the sky to meet the Lord, except only in death now today because it was a one time event for them then, however upon death, I suppose people are gonna have this 'second coming experience' sorta like they did. I imagine you leave your body, go to the realm of YAhava, and ... well... judged and placed where you wanted to be in the first place. Outside the kingdom or inside with Yahava and the Lamb.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sorry but Paul in Thessalonians made it perfectly clear the rapture is biblical.

The on thing I find comfort in , is that who reject teh rapture of the church, will be taken up into heaven.

Paul also confirmed this in 1 cor as well.

When that trumpet toot- we all gonna scoot!

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thessalonians 4

How could it be any clearer you ask? Let me share from a 4 year bible study on this very subject. It came in the mail once a month. Each issue was 12 pages long and started in 1986. Below is just 2 paragraphs to hopefully help you see that there may a lot more for you to see, in just unpacking ONE WORD. In that 4 year series he gives the names of the two Jesuit priests chosen by the pope to VEIL the eyes of adults so Martin Luther's claim that the Pope was the Antichrist would hopefully derail the exodus of the church from Rome to Protestantism. One Jesuit came up with the Futuristic interpretation of 'The Revelation'. And the other came up with the 'Preteristic" interpretation of the book of 'The Revelation'. Both lies kept the pope off the hotseat by diverting the coming of the antichrist to PRE and POST the time of the PRESENT pope. It woke me up. I hope you will take a 'little' bit to read these 2 briefs paragraphs.

"PAROUSIA

As stated earlier in this series, I believe every word that the Bible says about the coming of our Lord; I don't believe what the harlot church system says about it, nor what the television evangelists say about it, nor what the tradition-bound preachers say about it, nor even what some Bible translators say about it; but I certainly believe what the Bible says about it!

We have amply demonstrated that the Greek word PAROUSIA, generally translated "coming," literally means "presence." In the following texts relating to our Lord's coming the word PAROUSIA appears in the Greek text and should be translated PRESENCE; and in giving the texts we are using the word PRESENCE. "What shall be the sign of Thy PRESENCE?" (Mat. 24:3). "So shall also the PRESENCE of the Son of man be" (Mat. 24:27,37,39). "They that are Christ's, at His PRESENCE" (I Cor. 15:23). "What is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye, before our Lord Jesus Christ at His PRESENCE?" (I Thes. 2:19). "...He may establish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Thes. 3:13). "We which are alive, and remain unto the PRESENCE of the Lord shall not prevent (hinder) them which are asleep" (I Thes. 4:15). "Be preserved blameless unto the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Thes. 5:23). "Now we beseech you brethren, by the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ and by our gathering together unto Him" (II Thes. 2:1). "Be patient therefore brethren, unto the PRESENCE of the Lord" (James 5:7). "Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the PRESENCE of the Lord draweth nigh" (James 5:8). "There shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of His PRESENCE?" (II Pet. 3:3-4)."

EDIT:
It took me enough time to find this in my liivrary that Ronald has also posted 'his opinion'. .

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken,

It's more of simply a taking up, and it did happen when Jesus came for his bride. Atleast in my opinion, anyway. I do not except a future rapture of people rising to the sky to meet the Lord, except only in death now today because it was a one time event for them then, however upon death, I suppose people are gonna have this 'second coming experience' sorta like they did. I imagine you leave your body, go to the realm of YAhava, and ... well... judged and placed where you wanted to be in the first place. Outside the kingdom or inside with Yahava and the Lamb.

Disagree.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could it be any clearer you ask? Let me share from a 4 year bible study on this very subject. It came in the mail once a month. Each issue was 12 pages long and started in 1986. Below is just 2 paragraphs to hopefully help you see that there may a lot more for you to see, in just unpacking ONE WORD. In that 4 year series he gives the names of the two Jesuit priests chosen by the pope to VEIL the eyes of adults so Martin Luther's claim that the Pope was the Antichrist would hopefully derail the exodus of the church from Rome to Protestantism. One Jesuit came up with the Futuristic interpretation of 'The Revelation'. And the other came up with the 'Preteristic" interpretation of the book of 'The Revelation'. Both lies kept the pope off the hotseat by diverting the coming of the antichrist to PRE and POST the time of the PRESENT pope. It woke me up. I hope you will take a 'little' bit to read these 2 briefs paragraphs.

"PAROUSIA

As stated earlier in this series, I believe every word that the Bible says about the coming of our Lord; I don't believe what the harlot church system says about it, nor what the television evangelists say about it, nor what the tradition-bound preachers say about it, nor even what some Bible translators say about it; but I certainly believe what the Bible says about it!

We have amply demonstrated that the Greek word PAROUSIA, generally translated "coming," literally means "presence." In the following texts relating to our Lord's coming the word PAROUSIA appears in the Greek text and should be translated PRESENCE; and in giving the texts we are using the word PRESENCE. "What shall be the sign of Thy PRESENCE?" (Mat. 24:3). "So shall also the PRESENCE of the Son of man be" (Mat. 24:27,37,39). "They that are Christ's, at His PRESENCE" (I Cor. 15:23). "What is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye, before our Lord Jesus Christ at His PRESENCE?" (I Thes. 2:19). "...He may establish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Thes. 3:13). "We which are alive, and remain unto the PRESENCE of the Lord shall not prevent (hinder) them which are asleep" (I Thes. 4:15). "Be preserved blameless unto the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ" (I Thes. 5:23). "Now we beseech you brethren, by the PRESENCE of our Lord Jesus Christ and by our gathering together unto Him" (II Thes. 2:1). "Be patient therefore brethren, unto the PRESENCE of the Lord" (James 5:7). "Be ye also patient; establish your hearts: for the PRESENCE of the Lord draweth nigh" (James 5:8). "There shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of His PRESENCE?" (II Pet. 3:3-4)."

EDIT:
It took me enough time to find this in my liivrary that Ronald has also posted 'his opinion'. .

That is the best thing to do, is research it out, it helps a whole lot.

Also good @Taken.

Reactions: Hillsage and Taken

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken,

What an imagination!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"PAROUSIA

EDIT:
The Rapture is future.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Rapture is future.
If it is true now, shouldn't it have been a doctrine to begin somewhere before; Like the Catholic church from which came the Lutheran Church neither of which believed it up till....today. Finally in 1830 John Darby is given credit for the doctrine. And he was PRE TRIB. Now we have MID TRIB, and POST TRIB. So bro. which one of those 3 prongs of the one legged pitchfork is your 'truth'?

I went through the late 80's telling people to not believe the book by Edgar. C. Whisenant '"88 reasons why the rapture will occur in 1988"

I had numerous patients telling me it was true and I was wrong. But in 1999 all they had was maxed out credit cards and dead pets at the vet who they were sure were going to be left behind by the billions. Kind of a sad commentary then and it will be so in "the future" in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is true now, shouldn't it have been a doctrine to begin somewhere before; Like the Catholic church from which came the Lutheran Church neither of which believed it up till....today. Finally in 1830 John Darby is given credit for the doctrine. And he was PRE TRIB. Now we have MID TRIB, and POST TRIB. So bro. which one of those 3 prongs of the one legged pitchfork is your 'truth'?

I went through the late 80's telling people to not believe the book by Edgar. C. Whisenant '"88 reasons why the rapture will occur in 1988"

I had numerous patients telling me it was true and I was wrong. But in 1999 all they had was maxed out credit cards and dead pets at the vet who they were sure were going to be left behind by the billions. Kind of a sad commentary then and it will be so in "the future" in my opinion anyway.
The Bible doesn't give the day or your, but it is clear the time is at hand. Israel is back.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible doesn't give the day or your, but it is clear the time is at hand. Israel is back.
Now you sound like Hal Lindsey who wrote the book "Late Great Planet Earth" that locked me in to believing that doctrine, back in the 70's. But when rapture didn't happen following his date for Israel becoming a nation until his predicted RAPTURE....YEAR,(not day or hour) do you know what he did? He re-edited and revised his book. He changed the long standing 40 years for a generation to something stupid like 80 years and kept selling his books. Last I checked he was on REVISION 4 I think. Want to hear something funny that just happened? I accidentally hit the $ because I capitalized REVISION $. Yep that's what I'd call a GOD-INCIDENCE in my book. But don't call him a FALSE TEACHER, just keep buying more revisions.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now you sound like Hal Lindsey who wrote the book "Late Great Planet Earth" that locked me in to believing that doctrine, back in the 70's. But when rapture didn't happen following his date for Israel becoming a nation until his predicted RAPTURE....YEAR,(not day or hour) do you know what he did? He re-edited and revised his book. He changed the long standing 40 years for a generation to something stupid like 80 years and kept selling his books. Last I checked he was on REVISION 4 I think. Want to hear something funny that just happened? I accidentally hit the $ because I capitalized REVISION $. Yep that's what I'd call a GOD-INCIDENCE in my book. But don't call him a FALSE TEACHER, just keep buying more revisions.
If you had read the Bible that says no man knows the day or hour you wouldn't have been deceived. Why are you blaming Lindsey for YOUR neglect of Bible study? Look in your mirror if you want to blame someone.

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had read the Bible that says no man knows the day or hour you wouldn't have been deceived. Why are you blaming Lindsey for YOUR neglect of Bible study? Look in your mirror if you want to blame someone.
I have read the bible, and have studied way more than you appear to have studied. At least go back and READ my post. I told you in BOLD word that Lindsey wasn't dumb enough to name the day and the hour and he still missed his prediction by the whole "YEAR". Because his false prediction was based upon whatever OT feast he hung his hat on.

But hopefully we both know this Jack; Time will prove who is right, so I'll leave you now knowing I tried. hmmx1:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have read the bible, and have studied way more than you appear to have studied. At least go back and READ my post. I told you in BOLD word that Lindsey wasn't dumb enough to name the day and the hour and he still missed his prediction by the whole "YEAR". Because his false prediction was based upon whatever OT feast he hung his hat on.

But hopefully we both know this Jack; Time will prove who is right, so I'll leave you now knowing I tried. hmmx1:
Did you say you believed Lindsey? If so, it's YOUR fault.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would enjoy commenting on the following found in the OP...

John Darby, a Protestant pastor, lawyer, theologian, and respected Christian started the Dispensational movement, whereby God deals with mankind in major dispensations or periods.

I do not know why we have so many Christians who believe the entire Bible is written directly to them, the Church of God. There is nothing in the Bible to indicate such thinking, and I would like to add nothing could be further from the truth. It's true the Word of God was written for everyone for all time, and it's for our learning because it contains what everyone should know. That does not mean every part of it is addressed to everyone in this time, because the subject matter was written either to the Jews, to the Gentiles, or to the Church of God
(1 Corinthians 10:32).

To rightly understand the Word of God, one must understand what part is written to the Church of God and what part is written for the learning of the Church. Every word from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, is written for our learning. However, not all of the words from Genesis 1:1, to Revelation 22:21, are addressed to us. We must learn to distinguish not only the various people, but also the different time periods God has spoken to if we want to understand the written Word of God. The time God spoke to the children of Israel is not the same time period He has spoken to us. The time He spoke to the prophets in the time of the Old Testament is not the same time period He spoke to His Son Jesus Christ in the time of the gospels.