The Real Sabbath Day of GOD = Genesis 2;2-3, Exodus 20;8-11, Luke 4;16

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miz KJV Only

Oct 20, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis 2;2-3
And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Exodus 20;8-11
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:14-17
Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

Deuteronomy 5:13-14
Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Nehemiah 13:14-21
Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof. In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the Sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath.

And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? If ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the Sabbath.

Isaiah 56:6-7
Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Isaiah 58:13-14
If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Luke 4:14-16
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of Him through all the region round about. And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luke 6:6-10
And it came to pass also on another Sabbath, that He entered into the synagogue and taught: and there was a man whose right hand was withered. And the scribes and Pharisees watched Him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against Him. But He knew their thoughts, and said to the man which had the withered hand, Rise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth. Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the Sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it? And looking round about upon them all, He said unto the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Acts 13:40-44
Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you. And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the Grace of God. And the next Sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Colossians 2:16-17
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days; Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

AMEN

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis 2;2-3
And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made.

Exodus 20;8-11
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exodus 31:14-17
Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.

Deuteronomy 5:13-14
Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Nehemiah 13:14-21
Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof. In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the Sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the Sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath.

And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the Sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day. So the merchants and sellers of all kind of ware lodged without Jerusalem once or twice. Then I testified against them, and said unto them, Why lodge ye about the wall? If ye do so again, I will lay hands on you. From that time forth came they no more on the Sabbath.

Isaiah 56:6-7
Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Isaiah 58:13-14
If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

Luke 4:14-16
And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of Him through all the region round about. And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luke 6:6-10
And it came to pass also on another Sabbath, that He entered into the synagogue and taught: and there was a man whose right hand was withered. And the scribes and Pharisees watched Him, whether he would heal on the sabbath day; that they might find an accusation against Him. But He knew their thoughts, and said to the man which had the withered hand, Rise up, and stand forth in the midst. And he arose and stood forth. Then said Jesus unto them, I will ask you one thing; Is it lawful on the Sabbath days to do good, or to do evil? to save life, or to destroy it? And looking round about upon them all, He said unto the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Acts 13:40-44
Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you. And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the Grace of God. And the next Sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Colossians 2:16-17
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days; Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

AMEN

Were you aware that we are still in the 7th day maam? Yes God's sabbath day is still going.

Reactions: Mark51

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can that be, please elaborate.
Sure, thanks for asking Jun. You know that Jehovah rested at the end of the 6th day, and we went into the 7th day which He referred to as the Sabbath. Now notice what Paul said, which reveals that they were still in it in his day, and that it would continue on until they entered into His rest as well:
(Hebrews 4:3-11) . . .For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. 4 For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” 5 and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.” 6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience, 7 he again marks off a certain day by saying long afterward in David’s psalm, “Today”; just as it has been said above, “Today if you listen to his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God. 10 For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own. 11 Let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall into the same pattern of disobedience.

Reactions: David in NJ

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were you aware that we are still in the 7th day maam? Yes God's sabbath day is still going.
As usual you are in ERROR! We can't see it in our English Bible Translations but God changed the day of the sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week. Matthew 28:1 reads:

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

NOTE* The word "sabbath" and the word "week" are the same Greek plural words "sabaton."

Last edited:
  • Wow

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual you are in ERROR! We can't see it in our English Bible Translations but God changed the day of the sabbath from the seventh day to the first day of the week. Matthew 28:1 reads:

"In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

NOTE* The word "sabbath" and the word "week" are the same Greek plural words "sabaton."
Different sabbath Jun

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

• Love

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Different sabbath Jun
The reasons most Christians do not get context of many Bible texts is because they read the Bible like it's an ordinary book instead of as spiritual, [1 Corinthians 2:14!].

In the case of Matthew 28:1, the words "sabbath" and "week" are the same Greek plural words "sabaton." Note that the word "day" is italicized meaning that the printer is warning the English reader that all italicized words in the KJV Bible is not in the original manuscripts. Check me out and don't rely on your own understanding. Read Hebrews Chapter 4!

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think this a different sabbath from that of the seventh day, then prove it by scriptures.
Sure, thanks for asking sir. Paul stated this: (Hebrews 4:3-6) 3 For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. 4 For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” 5 and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.” 6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience,
Thus showing that during Paul's day some were still entering into God's rest day. We believe His rest day has not yet ended, but clearly it had not ended when Paul penned those words in the first century.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sabbath is nothing more than a day off. Only necessary tasks need to be done, although others can be performed at a person's discretion. Read how Jesus handled the Sabbath.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thus showing that during Paul's day some were still entering into God's rest day. We believe His rest day has not yet ended, but clearly it had not ended when Paul penned those words in the first century.
Please define the "rest" in view. Physical or spiritual and please expound.

Last edited:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sabbath is nothing more than a day off. Only necessary tasks need to be done, although others can be performed at a person's discretion. Read how Jesus handled the Sabbath.
You keep arguing for the Seventh Day Sabbath is a "day off." If it is why did God say to keep it holy and no work of any kind is to be done? Does that sound sensible to you? And why is the punishment so severe as "stoning to death" when it is violated like the man who picked up sticks in Numbers 15?

It doesn't make sense otherwise Colossians 2:16-17 should suffice.

To God Be The Glory

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep arguing for the Seventh Day Sabbath is a "day off." If it is why did God say to keep it holy and no work of any kind is to be done? Does that sound sensible to you? And why is the punishment so severe as "stoning to death" when it is violated like the man who picked up sticks in Numbers 15?

To God Be The Glory
The 'Death Penalty' for violating the Sabbath makes perfect sense when you understand Genesis.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please define the "rest" in view. Physical or spiritual and please expound.
That rest day is the 7th creative day Jun. It doesn't really have a spiritual or physical identification. It is simply the time period after He stopped creating.
(Genesis 2:1-3) . . .Thus the heavens and the earth and everything in them were completed. 2 And by the seventh day, God had completed the work that he had been doing, and he began to rest on the seventh day from all his work that he had been doing. 3 And God went on to bless the seventh day and to declare it sacred, for on it God has been resting from all the work that he has created, all that he purposed to make.

• Sad

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That rest day is the 7th creative day Jun. It doesn't really have a spiritual or physical identification. It is simply the time period after He stopped creating.
Why then is the stoning to death is the punishment when the 7th Day is violated, if there is no spiritual or physical significance attached to it?

In your estimation, was creation of the world the ONLY WORK God performed that week?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To God Be The Glory
If you are still living under the OT law then you are denying Christ!

"At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath; his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat. When the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, “Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath.” He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? How he entered the house of God, and they ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests? Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and yet are guiltless? I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.” Matthew 12:1-8 (my emphases added)

Colossians 2:16-19, "Therefore, do not let anyone condemn you in matters of food or drink or of observing festivals, new moons, or Sabbaths. These are only a shadow of what is to come, but the body belongs to Christ. Do not let anyone disqualify you, insisting on self-abasement and worship of angels, initiatory visions, puffed up without cause by a human way of thinking and not holding fast to the head, from whom the whole body, nourished and held together by its ligaments and tendons, grows with a growth that is from God."

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why then is the stoning to death is the punishment when the 7th Day is violated, if there is no spiritual or physical significance attached to it?
If you are still living under the Old Covenant -- alas!! -- then you are doomed. Accept Jesus Christ and the New Covenant which was purchased with His blood.

And read post #18, immnediately above.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are still living under the Old Covenant -- alas!! -- then you are doomed. Accept Jesus Christ and the New Covenant which was purchased with His blood.

And read post #18, immnediately above.
There is only ONE COVENANT!!!

You can accept Jesus one hundred times a day and IT WILL NOT BRING YOU ANY CLOSER TO SALVATION! We read in John 15:16:

"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."

To God Be The Glory