The Study and Interpret the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You don’t speak for me.

I bring no filters.

I let the word filter out impurities in me.

And everyone should have the same attitude.

“Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.” (Psalms 119:9)

Great.

No scriptural advice from an experienced minister?

Typical “minister” of these times…

What are you wanting, the prescriptive answers to anger in the first post quoted?

When it was suggested that you could ignore the thread, your response was to attack the writer.

I too would have withdrawn from having a conversation with you, as no good could come from it. The writer graciously gave you an option that you could have followed if you had wished too. It seems to me that you are searching for answer but have difficulty in expressing those question without your anger taking over.

May God draw you further into His Loving Embrace so that you can know His peace that come from entering fully into a relationship with Him.

I know of no other words that would be appropriate for you at this time.

Shalom

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Like you, English in not my first language! My first and most fluent language is Infantile Gibberish. I have spoken it continually for well over 80 years.

I am not here to "exegete" the Triune theiotes Mr. Bowman but am deeply concerned that our Lord Christ Jesus is being reduced to a mere man and man deified as you will soon witness for yourself.

Alas, this too is to be expected. That also means that they will fined it very difficult to obey the universal instructions He mandated for every disciple of His. Even professing Christian don't know, understand and obey very many of His instructions/commandments. /sigh/ I have an extended teaching on that subject too - for another thread.

Shalom Aleichem
Shalom
J.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom
J.
We were warned that this type of falling away from the faith would occur. It will only get worse. Some Christian leaders have already openly rejected the gospel and Christ, which the scriptures inform us there is no returning, no second chance. It is one of the signs of the end times. (2Thess 2:3, a warning: Heb 3:12. Both references in context.)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
We were warned that this type of falling away from the faith would occur. It will only get worse. Some Christian leaders have already openly rejected the gospel and Christ, which the scriptures inform us there is no returning, no second chance. It is one of the signs of the end times. (2Thess 2:3, a warning: Heb 3:12. Both references in context.)
I fully concur Mr. Bowman.
To be honest, I am not being edified nor stretched at all here.
J.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An object lesson:

The first "filter" on the list is Personality. This filter may or may not be a significant problem for an individual when they approach their Bible studies. Just because one is confrontational in one area, this does not necessarily mean that they bring emotional anger to their studies. Being humble, on the other hand, even in giving an admonishment does not necessarily translate to how one approaches their Bible studies. However, these two different personality traits do give some indication how they might influence their approach to their studies. Think about it.

Evaluate your own personality, the prevailing attribute you generally live your life with, and those personalities you often slide into, public and private personas, when and where and what are their significance - if any. All of filters we will be looking at are just that - personal.

I'll let this comment stand for a while in case there are other comments or suggestions any one wishes to make on this subject. Then, we can take up item two, one's worldview.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
On this thread or in this forum, or both? What would like to see?
Both, I am interested in the core doctrines, salvation, redemption, justification, sanctification, the crucified and risen Messiah, the sealing of the Holy Spirit, from a Jewish perspective since my wife was a Messianic Jewess, passed away two years ago.
I have studied Isaiah 53 word for word in Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries Mr. Bowman and am still amazed what our Lord and Savior endured..
If possible, maybe you can assist re links on Jewish study tools.
Here in South Africa there is a cry for study tools from sincere believers Mr. Bowman.

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Heb 6:3 And this will we do, if God permit.
Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
Heb 6:7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
Heb 6:8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
Heb 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Heb 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

I believe this is in context and applicable for all genuine believers.
Yours in Christ Mr. Bowman.
J.

Reactions: ChristisGod

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both, I am interested in the core doctrines, salvation, redemption, justification, sanctification, the crucified and risen Messiah, the sealing of the Holy Spirit, from a Jewish perspective since my wife was a Messianic Jewess, passed away two years ago.
I have studied Isaiah 53 word for word in Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries Mr. Bowman and am still amazed what our Lord and Savior endured..
If possible, maybe you can assist re links on Jewish study tools.
Here in South Africa there is a cry for study tools from sincere believers Mr. Bowman.J.

Sorry you are having such a difficult time finding teaching materials here. Unfortunately this thread is on Bible Study and Interpretation.

I am not aware of many on-line Jewish study tools. Most of what I have are books, some of which may be available in S.A.

There several on-line Messianic teachers.

Nehemia Gordon<[email protected]
Scott Lively Ministries<[email protected]
Frst Fruits of Zion<[email protected]
Passion For Truth Ministries<[email protected]

Messianic Books:

Our Father Abraham, Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith by Marvin R. Wilson
Jewish Roots, A Foundation of Biblical Theology by Dan Juster
The Church and The Jews, The Biblical Relationship by Dan Gruber
Grafted In, Israel, Gentiles, and the Mystery of the Gospel by D. Thomas Lancaster
Jewish Literacy by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin (Strictly a Jewish perspective of history and theology)

Other Books which may help:

Scripture Twisting, 20 Ways the Cults Misread the Bible by James W. Sire
Misreading Scripture With Western Eyes, Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible, by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien

I trust that these resources, that you may find available S.A., will assist you.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sorry you are having such a difficult time finding teaching materials here. Unfortunately this thread is on Bible Study and Interpretation.

I am not aware of many on-line Jewish study tools. Most of what I have are books, some of which may be available in S.A.

Messianic Books:

Grafted In, Israel, Gentiles, and the Mystery of the Gospel by D. Thomas Lancaster
Jewish Literacy by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin (Strictly a Jewish perspective of history and theology)

Misreading Scripture With Western Eyes, Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible, by E. Randolph Richards and Brandon J. O'Brien

I trust that these resources, that you may find available S.A., will assist you.

Think you misunderstood me Mr. Bowman, but like you've said, the is Bible study and Interpretation, your forte.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Guess this is where Bible study and Interpretation came to an screeching halt?

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

2Co_1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

2Co_11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

πανουργία panourgia (pan-our-ǰiy'-a) n.
1. adroitness.
2. (in a bad sense) trickery or sophistry.

ἁπλότης haplotes (ha-plo'-tees) n.
1. singleness.
2. (subjectively) sincerity (without dissimulation or self-seeking).
3. (objectively) generosity (copious bestowal).

I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s - - cunning, your - minds may be led astray from your simple and - pure devotion - to - Christ. 4 For if - someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One - we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One - you received, or a different gospel than the one - you accepted, you put up with it way too easily.

J.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Messianic Books:

Are you familiar with Jews for Jesus ?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is really a perplexing situation, and it is a problem that is growing in size. The entire body of Christ is under attack worldwide. Some of the attacks are overt, such as you can see in Asia and the Middle East. Here in the West it's more subtle, it consist of deception and lies, as well as overt actions.

Back when I was young and foolish, I engaged in such debates. Of course no one ever change their their positions or their opinions. That is when I learned a hard lesson of simply stating what I believe and why I believe it and left it at that. Folks could either accept or reject, and in the exchange. I sometimes actually learn something, but not usually what the opponent was expecting for me to learn. For me, debates are a waste of effort, energy and time. I would rather spend these resources in Bible study. However, as it has happened on this thread, I have been asked some questions. I really try to respond and address those questions. When folks disagree with me I can accept that, and I will listen to their rebuttal and evaluate it. If it has biblical value I will certainly consider it, if not, I reject it and go on with my life.
I have found the major attacks on Christianity are the Deity and humanity of Christ ,that He forever remains God Incarnate( in the flesh ) and the Bodily Resurrection, Ascension and 2nd Coming of Christ. And then the Trinity . I find Christ is the target of the enemy. So His Person and work are his number 1 target.

Reactions: AW Bowman

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone is familiar with Tovia Singer Christophany, debunking everything to the point there was no Messiah, no resurrection, nothing.
J.
I think you have the ministry confused. Moishe Rosen is the founder of Jews for Jesus ministries. They are Messianic Jews.

Home

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I think you have the ministry confused. Moishe Rosen is the founder of Jews for Jesus ministries. They are Messianic Jews.

Home
I know Jews for Jesus are Messianic, but there are vehement opponents, Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox Judaism.
Ever listened to any of his debates?
J.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know Jews for Jesus are Messianic, but there are vehement opponents, Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox Judaism.
Ever listened to any of his debates?
J.
No Moishe Rosen came to our church in the Bay Area twice in the 80's and I have his autobiography. I have not listened to the other guys debates.

AW Bowman

Jun 7, 2022
East Texas
hatalmidim.boards.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States