• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can tell me until your blue In The face, as long as you continue to takes works which believers do, also called works of sanctification, and make them required for justification (salvation) I can not believe you, or any church which teaches it
NOT of works lest anyone should boast

NOT by works of righteousness which we have done, but by his mercy he saved us

you keep ignoring these verses, the Bible has to agree, it can not contradict, your belief systems destroys the word of God and makes it contradictory,
And I've already told you repeatedly that the works we do in Christ, which are the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21), were prepared FOR us by God in advance (Eph. 2:10). That's why we cannot boast because they are NOT of our own.

It doesn't matter to me if you refuse to believe this - because you will have to answer to HIM - not me . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus did not say this in John 6

he said whoever eats WILL NOT DIE PERIOD (they also will never thirst or hunger, live forever, and are assured they WILL (not might) be risen on the last day.
you eat food which perishes, if it did what Jesus said, you would not have to eat it every week, because it as he said would ENDURE FOREVER
I trust Jesus, I pray you will soon
the Bread of Life Discourse in John 6, Jesus stated in NO uncertain terms:
John 6:53-56
Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”

It is interesting to note that the usual Greek word used for human eating is “phagon”, however, this is not the word used in these passages. St. John uses the word, “trogon”, which means, to munch or to gnaw - like an animal eats his food. Jesus was again using hyperbole as he often did to drive his point across so that the crowd would understand that he was NOT speaking metaphorically. He meant what he said.

Just as the Paschal Lamb was to be eaten, it is also true for the Lamb of God.
In verses 57-58, He says:
"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

The context of ALL of these verses is clear that He is talking about everlasting life - not earthly life.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a serious question that i am going to ask everyone .
Then i will answer it first .
DO you believe without a doubt that if you died tonight you would for sure spend eternity with God . why or why not .
DO you think its possible to know this .
the answer will show exactly where our trust is .
So to answer the first question . YES i would be with God forever . Why . CAUSE i believe in the ONE WHOM HE DID SEND .
Do i think its possible to know this .
WELL if we are not sure , THEN WHAT ARE WE Trusting in , ME , ITS JESUS my friends .
For if we are not fully convinced HE is the only way to be saved , well that to me seemth not safe at all .
I actually have folks tell me , THERE is no way for sure and for certain you can know you have eternal life and would be with GOD .
THAT scares me for them big time . CAUSE what are they trusting in . cant be JESUS , it must be their own efforts .
Now , faith without works is dead . and that be a fact . BUT IF OUR TRUST is not SOLEY IN JESUS for salvation . WE IN TROUBLE .
What i mean by faith without works is dead . Is that many profess to KNOW JESUS,
yet in works they do deny HIM . aka they still living a life of sin and loving it . AND that proves THEY DO NOT KNOW HIM .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what all need to do is , make sure its the biblical JESUS we love and obey and beleive in .
For many follow another jesus and another gosple , which i have bad news , its NOT JESUS .

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I've already told you repeatedly that the works we do in Christ, which are the will of the Father (Matt. 7:21), were prepared FOR us by God in advance (Eph. 2:10). That's why we cannot boast because they are NOT of our own.

It doesn't matter to me if you refuse to believe this - because you will have to answer to HIM - not me . . .
Yep

does not make you right

if your doing the works to cooperate to be saved

you can boast of saving yourself,

someone has convinced you otherwise, I pray God opens your heart

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bread of Life Discourse in John 6, Jesus stated in NO uncertain terms:
John 6:53-56
Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”

It is interesting to note that the usual Greek word used for human eating is “phagon”, however, this is not the word used in these passages. St. John uses the word, “trogon”, which means, to munch or to gnaw - like an animal eats his food. Jesus was again using hyperbole as he often did to drive his point across so that the crowd would understand that he was NOT speaking metaphorically. He meant what he said.

Just as the Paschal Lamb was to be eaten, it is also true for the Lamb of God.
In verses 57-58, He says:
"As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate, and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.”

The context of ALL of these verses is clear that He is talking about everlasting life - not earthly life.
You have not countered my argument

Jesus said whoever “munches or gnaws” will live forever, never die, never hunger or thirst, has eternal life, and will be risen on the last day.

of course he used the terms used in the law. And in the case the passover, it should have opened their eyes to what he was trying to say, but because of unbelief they could not hear.

they rejected him outright, you just twist his words and claim he meant something else, and did not mean what he said would happen to ALL who ate it (the spirit gives live the words I SPEAK are spirit and they are life. That’s the food he was talking about, the meat of the gospel. Himself being the paschal lamb, that we must eat if we are to be freed from the penalty of sin, and given life eternal through him.

you focus on words, but reject what the words offer. Yu hunger and thirst weekly at MASS. Because you have not eaten the true bread of life. Which one can eat and NOT DIE. You eat like the fathers, who ate over and over yet still were dead.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what all need to do is , make sure its the biblical JESUS we love and obey and beleive in .
For many follow another jesus and another gosple , which i have bad news , its NOT JESUS .
I have a serious question that i am going to ask everyone .
Then i will answer it first .
DO you believe without a doubt that if you died tonight you would for sure spend eternity with God . why or why not .
DO you think its possible to know this .
the answer will show exactly where our trust is .
So to answer the first question . YES i would be with God forever . Why . CAUSE i believe in the ONE WHOM HE DID SEND .
Do i think its possible to know this .
WELL if we are not sure , THEN WHAT ARE WE Trusting in , ME , ITS JESUS my friends .
For if we are not fully convinced HE is the only way to be saved , well that to me seemth not safe at all .
I actually have folks tell me , THERE is no way for sure and for certain you can know you have eternal life and would be with GOD .
THAT scares me for them big time . CAUSE what are they trusting in . cant be JESUS , it must be their own efforts .
Now , faith without works is dead . and that be a fact . BUT IF OUR TRUST is not SOLEY IN JESUS for salvation . WE IN TROUBLE .
What i mean by faith without works is dead . Is that many profess to KNOW JESUS,
yet in works they do deny HIM . aka they still living a life of sin and loving it . AND that proves THEY DO NOT KNOW HIM .
1 John

I write the words so you may KNOW that you have eternal life, and continue to believe

the true power that keeps us secure in Christ is the knowledge of we die today, we WILL be in heaven. It is to wake up every day knowing you are not i hell (where you deserve to be) and thanking Gd for it and goi;g out and taking the love he gives you which flows to eternal life (rivers of living water it is called) and sharing that love with others.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And not one of them has the power or merit to save. There is no way out of that. Only Jesus saves. Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Consider this:

In the Judgment, will any of our deeds or words be counted toward our deserving salvation? No. Only the deeds and words and thoughts of Jesus in our stead. Only His death in our stead. Nothing we can do or say makes us deserving of salvation. We have our part to do in accepting the gift. But all of our righteousness is as filthy rags. For every verse you can quote that seems to say we are saved by our works, I can quote 5 which say clearly that it is impossible. Without Christ's actuating Spirit we can do nothing--not even repent.
The apostles had the authority(by Jesus name) to remit sins.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, so the way to eternal life changed from faith to faith plus works?

ok...

acts 2: 38 does not say what you think, you can not study the Greek and come up with the same conclusion
Acts 2 was the birth of the N.T. church. Acts 2:38 was the first command of how to be saved in the new church.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because she believed what her Son taught - and promised (Matt. 16:18).
No, how do you know Mary said stuff other than what she said in the Bible? Is there a book of someone hearing her?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it doesn't. There is no logic to that--not even in the text itself. One follows another; they are not one and the same.
No, the same passage as Acts 2:38, Peter said "save yourself".

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, they didn't. Jesus wouldn't condone something which is, by definition, blasphemy.
John 20:23

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The apostles had the authority(by Jesus name) to remit sins.
Forgiving someone's sin is not akin to atonement. Being forgiven is not the same as giving someone salvation. We all have the authority to forgive one another, and ask God to forgive others also. God honors our expression of mercy on behalf of others. But they still need to accept the salvation granted them through the grace and mercy of the Father found in the the Son.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep

does not make you right

if your doing the works to cooperate to be saved

you can boast of saving yourself,

someone has convinced you otherwise, I pray God opens your heart
Then you're just being purposely obtuse because you can't argue the point.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiving someone's sin is not akin to atonement. Being forgiven is not the same as giving someone salvation. We all have the authority to forgive one another, and ask God to forgive others also. God honors our expression of mercy on behalf of others. But they still need to accept the salvation granted them through the grace and mercy of the Father found in the the Son.
No, this is saying...

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Which leads to speaking the name of Jesus during water baptism for the remission of sins per Acts 2:38.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have not countered my argument

Jesus said whoever “munches or gnaws” will live forever, never die, never hunger or thirst, has eternal life, and will be risen on the last day.

of course he used the terms used in the law. And in the case the passover, it should have opened their eyes to what he was trying to say, but because of unbelief they could not hear.

they rejected him outright, you just twist his words and claim he meant something else, and did not mean what he said would happen to ALL who ate it (the spirit gives live the words I SPEAK are spirit and they are life. That’s the food he was talking about, the meat of the gospel. Himself being the paschal lamb, that we must eat if we are to be freed from the penalty of sin, and given life eternal through him.

you focus on words, but reject what the words offer. Yu hunger and thirst weekly at MASS. Because you have not eaten the true bread of life. Which one can eat and NOT DIE. You eat like the fathers, who ate over and over yet still were dead.
Since you don't seem to be able to understand what Jesus was saying in the Bread of Life Discourse - I'll approach it another way.

In John 6:66 - many of his disciples LEFT Him that day and returned to their former way of life because they couldn't handle what Jesus was telling them. Jesus didn't stop them - didn't even try to correct what they were thinking.
He just turned to the Twelve and said:
John 6:67
“Do you also want to leave?”

1. WHY did they abandon Him and leave His ministry?
2. WHY did He NOT explain that He was only speaking "symbolically"?
3. WHY did He NOT explain to the Apostles after the crowd left - as He ALWAYS did - what He "really" meant?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John

I write the words so you may KNOW that you have eternal life, and continue to believe

the true power that keeps us secure in Christ is the knowledge of we die today, we WILL be in heaven. It is to wake up every day knowing you are not i hell (where you deserve to be) and thanking Gd for it and goi;g out and taking the love he gives you which flows to eternal life (rivers of living water it is called) and sharing that love with others.
Thats the hope and the confidence paul spoke of
when he said , for we are made partakers OF CHRIST if we hold the confidence , IN HIM , HOPE IN HIM , FIRM to the END .
Yes indeed . And if we are HIS then as paul also said we have the Spirit . And if we have the Spirit
then the body is dead because of sin .
Ye shall know them by their fruits . NOW leap up and praise the GLORIOUS KING .
Who we obey is whose we are . Sound those praises out .

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2 was the birth of the N.T. church. Acts 2:38 was the first command of how to be saved in the new church.
So Johns gospel was pretty much meaningless?

lol. The church started when Jesus said it was finished. However. The plan of salvation has always been the same

Status
Not open for further replies.