"This Generation" declared by Jesus.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Matthew 24:34

Of course there is more, in fact all of Matthew 24 is referred to in verse 34.​

This issue that has now been going on for two millennia (50-80 generations) is that the signs Jesus gave have been carried forward for lack of those things previously being seen. So--for lack of sight, we have assumed "this generation" of the coming of the Son of Man is still future. Lack of sight. Let me say that again: For lack of sight, we have taken an assumptive position about the end of all things. And hey, why not, after all if time goes on, we must be right to assume--right?

One would think so--no, scratch that--nearly everyone thinks so. In fact, if you said anything different to your friends, family, pastor, or priest...you'd likely be labeled a heretic. And that is how it has been for 2,000 years.

But I would argue--not because I need to or because I am suggesting my opinion is better than all the others--but because an argument is what one is liable to get. Anyway--not my opinion--but this is what Jesus spoke of, saying, "Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." This is these many generations "trampling" on the truth for lack of understanding.

Go figure. Which is why He finished the above description, saying, "the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Meaning, that what most have expected--is not true.

But how shall I even begin to tell you what is true? Who will believe it?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Matthew 24:34

This issue that has now been going on for two millennia (50-80 generations) is that the signs Jesus gave have been carried forward for lack of those things previously being seen. So--for lack of sight, we have assumed "this generation" of the coming of the Son of Man is still future. Lack of sight. Let me say that again: For lack of sight, we have taken an assumptive position about the end of all things. And hey, why not, after all if time goes on, we must be right to assume--right?

One would think so--no, scratch that--nearly everyone thinks so. In fact, if you said anything different to your friends, family, pastor, or priest...you'd likely be labeled a heretic. And that is how it has been for 2,000 years.

But I would argue--not because I need to or because I am suggesting my opinion is better than all the others--but because an argument is what one is liable to get. Anyway--not my opinion--but this is what Jesus spoke of, saying, "Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." This is these many generations "trampling" on the truth for lack of understanding.

Go figure. Which is why He finished the above description, saying, "the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Meaning, that what most have expected--is not true.

“this generation” to me it speaks of a wicked, sinful and perverse generation. Ephesians 2:2-3. among whom we also all once lived in the lust of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:--That all these things must come upon “this generation”. my perspective is: that which is flesh is flesh as “this generation” “lust of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind —considering John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abides on him.
^think about that… shall not see life but instead the wrath of God abides on him. What is these things come upon “this generation” and what generation does the “wrath of God come upon”? It has been debated always…coming to pass… the “wrath of God come upon” …this generation.

Also possibly relative is “the darkness is now passed” to “this generation will not pass” where He said “they that hate their brother walk in darkness still” …is this walking in darkness still the same as “this generation will not pass until” …until the darkness has passed?

More references “You shall keep them, O Lord, You shall preserve them from this generation

what is ‘this generation’ the Lord shall preserve and keep them from?

What is ‘this generation’?
What is ‘the generation to come’ .
has ‘the generation to come’ come yet?

Psalm 102:18-23 ‘this shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the Lord.

Psalm 71:17-24 O God forsake me not; until I have shown your strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

Matthew 12:44-46 Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

Matthew 23:31-39 You serpents, you generation of vipers …verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation…

this adulterous and sinful generation’? Mark 8:38 whosoever will be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation…

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good question. I don’t know except that It could be “all things are become new?” 2 Corinthians 5:17

Are you looking for a certain reply?
Just stating the obvious: Every generation [under the sun] is the same ("nothing new").

Reactions: amadeus

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is already void, as Jesus said, "the world sees me no more."
KJV 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
That is not a physical return or physical second coming. It is Jesus coming again after He has prepared a place for us, "that where I am, you may be also"...which is in the presence of the Father, whom is God, who are One, whom is spirit.

In other words, Jesus has gone to the Father, is One, meaning spirit, and comes in the spirit that we may be also...that is those who have been born of the spirit of God. Spirit.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga

The true sign came when Israel became a state , when the good and bad figs returned , the meaning of when you think not is because they will think Christ is already here , whom is satan as the antichrist pretending to be Christ

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true sign came when Israel became a state , when the good and bad figs returned , the meaning of when you think not is because they will think Christ is already here , whom is satan as the antichrist pretending to be Christ
If so...then explain why Jesus says "when you do not expect" speaking to those of that ("this") generation.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is not a physical return or physical second coming. It is Jesus coming again after He has prepared a place for us, "that where I am, you may be also"...which is in the presence of the Father, whom is God, who are One, whom is spirit.

In other words, Jesus has gone to the Father, is One, meaning spirit, and comes in the spirit that we may be also...that is those who have been born of the spirit of God. Spirit.
While it may not be physical in the present mortal bodily sense, for Christ was raised with a spiritual body, yet those remaining on the earth will surely see Him, hear the shout and the trumpet, and witness the dead being raised. Whatever you mean by spiritual I don't know, but however these things transpire, they will be experiential events that will end the world as we know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
If so...then explain why Jesus says "when you do not expect" speaking to those of that ("this") generation.

the explanation is in the fact that satan comes first .

Luke 12:40 "Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not."

This is a very interesting verse, for the time that most people will be unprepared for Jesus Christ's return, is when they think that Christ is already here. When they are deceived into thinking that the first chirst is the True Christ.

Reactions: Davy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great subject Scott. We believe Jesus was enthroned as King ushering us into the last days of this world in 1914. Of course although not completely gone yet, some feel that generation is, but as you and I know the end has not yet happened. Keep in mind that later in that chapter he gave a hint that it would appear late, in fact so late that some of the faithful slave themselves would declare their master is delaying and fall away from the faith v48

The scene of this world is changing so drastically that even non students of the Bible can see that something is very strange, and most who have any knowledge of God at all believe that we are very near to Jesus' return. We believe we are right on the verge of the great tribulation, as maybe you do as well, of course we still do not know the day or hour, but the chapter was given to us to help Jesus disciples discern the time period, so that we can keep on the watch and be prepared.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

adore this @ScottA!! ❤️ “It is Jesus coming again after He has prepared a place for us, "that where I am, you may be also"...which is in the presence of the Father,…”
(Wow)

“In other words, Jesus has gone to the Father, is One, meaning spirit, and comes in the spirit that we may be also
...” (wow again) John 17:21-23 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: [23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t mean to imply it isn’t. instead I was letting you know it doesn’t make sense to me in case you could help.

• God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
    • Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
    • So he put them all together in prison three days.
    • And they went three days in the wilderness and found no water.
    • ‘Prepare provisions for yourselves, for within three days you will cross over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land which the Lord your God is giving you to possess.’
    • Now for three days they could not explain the riddle.
    • And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
    • ‘Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.’
    • For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    • “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and to build it in three days.’ ”
    • “Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’
    • There is nothing new under the sun.
The pattern here (of which I have only listed a few) defines God and the acts of God over three days, which is the order of things we experience in the world. However, the "yesterday, today, and forever" definition is only how it is experienced in the world. That definition of God is also defined by God in the scriptures with out division--as "I am"--as One. Which then explains the "three days" pattern rather as "nothing new" or divided "under the sun." Both are true, but one is in the world in time, and the other is with God in whom there is no time.

Thus, when Jesus says, "I am" and "after three days I will rise", He speaks of each in their own terms--that of God, and that of the world. Which is why Paul instructed that the word of truth must be "rightly divided" in order to understand what is written of the world, and what is written of the kingdom of God. So then, when Jesus says "this generation" speaking of the kingdom of God coming upon men, He speaks of One generation that includes all men--all of creation from beginning to end, "the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this." Which Paul explained, comes "each in his own order", meaning, each in his own generation.

Therefore, Jesus, referring to the salvation of all and the terms thereof, to all from beginning to end in the timeless terms of God and the kingdom, saying "this evil generation"...spoke of every generation as one, for all are evil, all under the same judgement.

Last edited: