Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just don't think we need to redefine the Bible to current language changes or woke lifestyles.

Where would you be sir if the Bible was still in it's original language. The truth is Truther, it needs to be understood. I agree with you about lifestyles, as the standards never change, but language does, and therefore understandable versions need to change with it.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where would you be sir if the Bible was still in it's original language. The truth is Truther, it needs to be understood. I agree with you about lifestyles, as the standards never change, but language does, and therefore understandable versions need to change with it.
The English language has barely evolved in the last 100 years.

An old dictionary can cure the "thee's and thou's" that folks can't seem to understand.

However, school kids still easily the KJV as it stands.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The English language has barely evolved in the last 100 years.

An old dictionary can cure the "thee's and thou's" that folks can't seem to understand.

However, school kids still easily the KJV as it stands.

The 'thees' and 'thous' aren't really the problem, because they're so obviously "old" and if you don't already know what they mean you can look them up in a dictionary.

The real problem is the words that have changed their meaning. These can catch people out and cause them to misinterpret what they read without realising it.

Who these days is likely to know that the word "prevent" in the KJV actually means "precede"? Or that "reins" actually means "kidneys". This is why updates are necessary.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 'thees' and 'thous' aren't really the problem, because they're so obviously "old" and if you don't already know what they mean you can look them up in a dictionary.

The real problem is the words that have changed their meaning. These can catch people out and cause them to misinterpret what they read without realising it.

Who these days is likely to know that the word "prevent" in the KJV actually means "precede"? Or that "reins" actually means "kidneys". This is why updates are necessary.
Words have not changed, but slang has changed and words have been added to the English language, like scientific words etc.

None of these words that have been added are relevant to the scripture.

We can't worry about "modernizing God's word" to fit modern English.

Also, don't give the KJV a southern drawl.

38 Then Peter said unto themALL, Repent, and be baptized every one of Y'ALL in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and Y'ALL shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The real problem is the words that have changed their meaning

This isn’t as big an issue as the modern Bible proponents make it out to be.

I guess you would rather trust the promoters of the faulty “best” manuscripts which are MISSING some of God’s word in exchange for “updated” language that affects so little of the scriptures as translated in the King James Bible.

But it’s not just “updated”, it’s changed to totally different meanings in some cases. And good strong words are often “updated” with weak ambiguous ones.

Like “hell” is updated to an untranslated “Sheol”

A bad and unwise trade off.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I use a bible update it's called the NIV or again the NLT both of which are updated from the KJV.

Reactions: Deborah_

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Words have not changed, but slang has changed and words have been added to the English language, like scientific words etc.

"Prevent" and "reins" have changed.. they don't have the old meanings any more even in "formal" English.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Prevent" and "reins" have changed.. they don't have the old meanings any more even in "formal" English.

Look up those words and study it out.

It’s not hard to do.

And if “outdated” English is a challenge to you, don’t even touch Hebrew and Greek.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess you would rather trust the promoters of the faulty “best” manuscripts which are MISSING some of God’s word in exchange for “updated” language that affects so little of the scriptures as translated in the King James Bible.

This isn't the big issue that KJV-only enthusiasts make it out to be. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it's a non-issue. None of God's word is missing from the new versions. Many many duplications have been removed (which I have never found a problem), and the very small remainder can be read in footnotes (with explanations).

Reactions: Pearl and Jim B

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Look up those words and study it out.

It’s not hard to do.

And if “outdated” English is a challenge to you, don’t even touch Hebrew and Greek.

Of course it's easy to do if you know that the meaning is or might be different - the problem is that the average modern reader won't know! They will simply assume that these words have their modern meaning, and be confused or even totally misled. To do as you suggest would entail looking up every single word in a dictionary just in case it has a different "old" meaning - which is not practical, and will simply put people off reading the Bible altogether.

Reactions: Pearl

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use a bible update it's called the NIV or again the NLT both of which are updated from the KJV.

That's actually not the case. They're both original translations based on the best available manuscripts. Of course there are some similarities.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been using Craig S. Keener's "The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament" along with my Bible reading. He makes an interesting point regarding translation: the content of the source documents must make sense according to the culture that we live in. One example he uses is the idea of sheep/lambs. There are cultures that don't have these animals, but have pigs, so translating the word "sheep" is meaningless to them. Expanding on this idea, he says that since we don't live in the Greek/Hebrew culture of thousands of years ago, the concepts expressed in the source documents must be translated so that the meanings are clear to our modern minds.

One of the things that immediately came to mind was that, not only don't we live in that Greek/Hebrew culture, we also don't live in the early 17th Century culture of England. That is why I don't like the King James translation. None of us truly understand what living in that culture was like, so the concepts put forth are alien to us. Perhaps not as much so as the Biblical culture, but none of us are feudal peasants living a subsistence culture under feudal lords and a monarchy. We live a modern lifestyle in a technological culture, governed (for the most part) by representative democracies (or similar systems). There was, for example, no electricity, no modern mass transit, no electronic communication, no industrial manufacturing, etc.

In my opinion, this unfortunately leads to people misunderstanding what the King James translation actually means. They re-translate the KJV Bible into their modern minds, thinking that what it says according to their 21st Century minds is what it actually meant (not forgetting, of course, that the 17th Century translators had to interpret what the Biblical authors mean in the cultures they lived in!)

My advice to anyone is to use a translation that transmits what the Biblical authors truly meant into our 21st Century understanding. If I had to choose one that best fits this model I (like many, many others) would choose the NIV. However, my favorite is the NET. Not only does it fit the above criteria, but the 60,000+ translator notes carefully explain the meanings and doctrine of the earliest and best source texts.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's actually not the case. They're both original translations based on the best available manuscripts. Of course there are some similarities.
Each to their own. it's not a deal breaker. I am saved as much as anybody who uses the KJV.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each to their own. it's not a deal breaker. I am saved as much as anybody who uses the KJV.

I don't know what you're trying to say. a) You're not saved by any Bible translation. You're saved by God because of your faith in Jesus Christ. b) It has nothing to do with what translation you use.

The KJV is easily misunderstood, allowing people to go off on all kinds of doctrinal tangents. You should use a translation that communicates most clearly to you.

Reactions: Deborah_

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what you're trying to say. a) You're not saved by any Bible translation. You're saved by God because of your faith in Jesus Christ. b) It has nothing to do with what translation you use.

The KJV is easily misunderstood, allowing people to go off on all kinds of doctrinal tangents. You should use a translation that communicates most clearly to you.
No, the opposite.

The modern translations are founded in biased, false doctrines.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I wasn't 'trying' to say anything. What I said was that our salvation does not depend on which translation of the bible we prefer. So that a person who prefers the NLT can be just as much saved as one who insists on the KJV. Like I said it's no deal breaker - God love me NLT and all.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador