Project underway to create an updated King James Version (KJV)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BibleBeliever5

Jan 30, 2021
The South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A project is happening to update the old language of the KJV without changing the meaning. The project website is www.kjvupdate.com. What is your opinion about this endeavor?
*I should add that the New King James Version (NKJV) changes the meaning of the KJV in numerous places. (Edit)

Last edited:
Reactions: shortangel

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A project is happening to update the old language of the KJV without changing the meaning. The project website is www.kjvupdate.com. What is your opinion about this endeavor?

So, no effort is going to be made to correct the contextual inaccuracies between the original source texts and the updated English version, such that the translations errors remain.

Reactions: Nancy

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No need, since 'God Preserved NO contextual errors' - all archaic words are to be
updated to understand the 'current definitions' of old words no longer used! Amen?

Sorry Grace, that is just your opinion.

Stephen in Acts 7 stated

Acts 7:5: - And God gave him no inheritance in it, not even enough to set his foot on.​
NKJV

which was not disagreed with by the scholars who were listening to his defence, however in Genesis 13:14-15 the English translation states this: -

Gen 13:14-15: - 14 And the Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: "Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are — northward, southward, eastward, and westward; 15 for all the land which you see I give to you and your descendants forever.​
NKJV
which is contrary to what Stephen said.

I would humbly suggest to you that the verse Gen 13:15 should be translated in this manner: -

Gen 13:15 for all the earth which you see, that entity, I will give to your descendants for a long period of time where the end point of that time period, is beyond man’s capacity to comprehend when it will occur in the future.​
My translation paraphrase.​

The Hebrew word Strong definition of: -

1673054526287.png

Which is best understood to have the sense of, "The entity described,".

1673054779720.png

Which has the sense of "this" as the entity that God is going to give to Abraham's descendants for a period of time after him. In this verse in the "traditional" translations, the wrong context is conveyed in that it suggests that Abraham actually was given by God the described portion of the earth as his inheritance/possession.

Grace, which given context of Gen 13:15 is correct, and is the traditional translation like the KJV be corrected in this instance.

Shalom

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The King James 2000 Bible has already accomplished this. Here is an example (Rom 13:2):

King James Bible
Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

King James 2000 Bible
Whosoever therefore resists the power, resists the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves judgment.

"Judgment" is accurate since that is what the Greek word κρίμα (krima)
means. "Damnation" means eternal Hell, which may or may not apply. But the KJV translators probably meant condemnation. Usage: (a) a judgment, a verdict; sometimes implying an adverse verdict, a condemnation, (b) a case at law, a lawsuit.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, no effort is going to be made to correct the contextual inaccuracies between the original source texts and the updated English version, such that the translations errors remain.
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are suggesting that the KJV has inaccuracies as opposed to modern versions, that is incorrect. The critical text of Westcott and Hort (which for all practical purposes is still in effect through Nestle-Aland etc) is the most corrupt text you could find. On the other hand the Hebrew Masoretic Text and the Greek Received Text supporting the KJV are the most faithful and reliable texts.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not sure what you mean, but if you are suggesting that the KJV has inaccuracies as opposed to modern versions, that is incorrect. The critical text of Westcott and Hort (which for all practical purposes is still in effect through Nestle-Aland etc) is the most corrupt text you could find. On the other hand the Hebrew Masoretic Text and the Greek Received Text supporting the KJV are the most faithful and reliable texts.
This is the KJV of Gen 13:15 -

Gen 13:15: - For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.​
KJV

Not that much different to the NKJV.

This is the Hebrew Intelinear for this verse: -

1673071538883.png

And these are the options for the Interlinear: -
1673071595713.png

With respect to the above Interlinear, I still stand behind my previous statement that all translations of the original Texts have contextual errors in them.

It is these contextual errors that lead us astray into error in our understanding of God's plan for mankind.

The KJV has no immunity from having contextual errors in its translation.

Now your justification is that the KJV was translated from the least corrupted source document, whereas I was not commenting on the source documents, but on the English translations presenting the same contextual understanding as the original texts did in the Hebrew. Where the contextual understanding between the Hebrew and English language version differs, it can only be assumed that there is a contextual error present in the English translation.

Now would you like to adjust your last post and comment on the KJV contextual accuracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLT63

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My opinion.....Suspect.

So many meanings of Ancient words have been Modernly “changed” to mean the Complete Opposite of the Ancient meaning.

And am Suspect...of “WHO”...is doing the “updating”....and “why”...ie INTENT.

Reactions: Moses_the_younger

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the KJV of Gen 13:15 -

Gen 13:15: - For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.​
KJV

Not that much different to the NKJV.

This is the Hebrew Intelinear for this verse: -

View attachment 28169

And these are the options for the Interlinear: -
View attachment 28170

With respect to the above Interlinear, I still stand behind my previous statement that all translations of the original Texts have contextual errors in them.

It is these contextual errors that lead us astray into error in our understanding of God's plan for mankind.

The KJV has no immunity from having contextual errors in its translation.

Now your justification is that the KJV was translated from the least corrupted source document, whereas I was not commenting on the source documents, but on the English translations presenting the same contextual understanding as the original texts did in the Hebrew. Where the contextual understanding between the Hebrew and English language version differs, it can only be assumed that there is a contextual error present in the English translation.

Now would you like to adjust your last post and comment on the KJV contextual accuracy.

Scripture is simply the WRITTEN Knowledge God Directed...Hebrews/Israel to Write.

The Understanding of Gods Knowledge...is Expressly Given an individual...
BY God Himself.

1 Chr 22:
[12] Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would humbly suggest to you that the verse Gen 13:15 should be translated in this manner: -

Gen 13:15 for all the earth which you see, that entity, I will give to your descendants for a long period of time where the end point of that time period, is beyond man’s capacity to comprehend when it will occur in the future.​
My translation paraphrase.​

However....your translation of a long period of time, HAS an Ending.
Forever......has NO Ending.

The Earth, shall NOT end.
Inhabitants of the Earth, shall NOT end.
Every Inhabitant of the Earth shall Continue to Inhabitant the Earth....
....Some ON the Face of the Earth, changed...MADE Glorified Body’s
....Some IN the Earth, changed....MADE dust.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*I should add that the New King James Version (NKJV) changes the meaning of the KJV in numerous places. (Edit)
I imagine every so often people attempt to update the language in the KJV. Every Bible strives to be a perfect Bible, I suspect. That would include the KJV.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
However....your translation of a long period of time, HAS an Ending.
Forever......has NO Ending.

However, the expression translated as forever is finite and not infinite as you are asserting. Here is the verse Genesis 13:15 from the Interlinear: -

1673116681787.png

So, we need to consider the Hebrew words OT5704 and OT:5769 to unpack the meaning of these two words. Here are the Root word definitions for OT: 5704: -

1673116831517.png

1673116913162.png

1673116948991.png

And for the Hebrew Root word OT:5769: -

1673117109835.png

1673117185018.png

We can see that the time period of this expression is for a set period of time which is finite in nature and the land that Abraham has walked upon and seen is further defined in Genesis 15:17-21 and became known as the Promised Land which God began giving them on their return from the Land of Egypt as a sign covenant such that they would have confirmed to them that at some time in the future they would inherit the whole earth during Eternity.

We also should note that God also warned through Solomon that He would remove israel from the "Promised Land," if they continued to indulge in idolatrous worship in this passage: -

2 Chron 7:19-20: - 19 "But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods, and worship them, 20 then I will uproot them from My land which I have given them; and this house which I have sanctified for My name I will cast out of My sight, and will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples.​
NKJV

Even in the verses where God speaks through the prophets and even Moses, God clearly states that when He gathers Israel once more to Himself, that He will plant them in fertile soil and teach them on the mountain/religion of Israel. He does not speak of gathering them to the Land of Canaan, but that He will gather them to Himself where they are living scattered throughout the whole earth so that they can become a blessing to all of the inhabitants of the earth. But this can only be discerned when we look at the Hebrew texts where these promises are made.

Shalom

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, the expression translated as forever is finite and not infinite as you are asserting. Here is the verse Genesis 13:15 from the Interlinear: -

View attachment 28209

So, we need to consider the Hebrew words OT5704 and OT:5769 to unpack the meaning of these two words. Here are the Root word definitions for OT: 5704: -

View attachment 28210

View attachment 28211

View attachment 28212

And for the Hebrew Root word OT:5769: -

View attachment 28213

View attachment 28214

We can see that the time period of this expression is for a set period of time which is finite in nature and the land that Abraham has walked upon and seen is further defined in Genesis 15:17-21 and became known as the Promised Land which God began giving them on their return from the Land of Egypt as a sign covenant such that they would have confirmed to them that at some time in the future they would inherit the whole earth during Eternity.

We also should note that God also warned through Solomon that He would remove israel from the "Promised Land," if they continued to indulge in idolatrous worship in this passage: -

2 Chron 7:19-20: - 19 "But if you turn away and forsake My statutes and My commandments which I have set before you, and go and serve other gods, and worship them, 20 then I will uproot them from My land which I have given them; and this house which I have sanctified for My name I will cast out of My sight, and will make it a proverb and a byword among all peoples.​
NKJV

Even in the verses where God speaks through the prophets and even Moses, God clearly states that when He gathers Israel once more to Himself, that He will plant them in fertile soil and teach them on the mountain/religion of Israel. He does not speak of gathering them to the Land of Canaan, but that He will gather them to Himself where they are living scattered throughout the whole earth so that they can become a blessing to all of the inhabitants of the earth. But this can only be discerned when we look at the Hebrew texts where these promises are made.

Shalom
I do not FIND the LAND Gift as finite, but rather, the Receiver of the LAND Gift Having Conditions.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not FIND the LAND Gift as finite, but rather, the Receiver of the LAND Gift Having Conditions.

This is an interesting point that you are making, and I agree that later in the scriptures, conditions were set concerning the possession of the described entity portion of the earth, first mentioned in Genesis 13:15. However, I am not sure that these conditions that you allude to can be found in the Book of Genesis. Perhaps you might like to enlighten me on the scripture passage where these conditions are mentioned, particularly the first mention of the conditions.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an interesting point that you are making, and I agree that later in the scriptures, conditions were set concerning the possession of the described entity portion of the earth, first mentioned in Genesis 13:15. However, I am not sure that these conditions that you allude to can be found in the Book of Genesis. Perhaps you might like to enlighten me on the scripture passage where these conditions are mentioned, particularly the first mention of the conditions.
A condition IS Always Established ...
By an Offering...From One party To another party.

AND...

The Other Party ACCEPTING the Offering.

Example;
Any BANK can Offer you....a loan, credit card, savings account, checking account, pay your bills account....blah, blah ....IF you Accept their Offer...(whether or not you pay attention to the Banks “FINE PRINT” of the Banks TERMS) your Accepting...is your Agreement TO BE BOUND by the TERMS.
Any FAILURE of you TO abide by the Terms...will result in a NEGATIVE Consequence Upon you.

Okay...Scripturally...
Moses was A Head Of his Family, workers, their families, ie a clan of communal people living, working, tending animals and chores together.

Moses personally...chose to Subject Himself To the Authority OF God...Making God HIS MASTER.
Moses was NOT ONLY learning and doing the WILL OF his Master....
Moses “as the Head Of His Clan”... Moses had become...The teacher, the Spokesman, OF God, to teach, Be the example, for his Clan TO ALSO, understand ...To BE / Remain a part of Moses’ Clan...AS WELL....requires the Clan members To Willingly Submit to God Being THEIR MASTER.

Every man has Freewill. Choose to Submit, Be Subject To the Terms....or Not.

In Brief...

EX 19: 5
Gods OFFERING.....IF....THEN

EX. 19: 8
All peoples of Moses Clan Response...We will Do

For 4,000 and forward....for All the children of Israel......Each Established Tribe Of Israel....
The IF...Then....Offering Continues.
The....We will do....Continues.

And the negative Consequences....for Failing TO Do....has been Repeated Over and Over and Over for Generations.