Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
christains fall into the a fourth group . THEY wait upon the LORD and by HIS Spirit they do as they ought too .
Very small group . Very tiny . Prosperity preaches are all out false . I say things direct my friend .
Since we on the note of prosperity preachers , i say go ahead and ban TBN forever cause its plumb full of
men and women of belial . Now i wont continue to make this list of all that are false ,
cause i dont have that kind of time . Its bad my friend . EVERONE today, however , just wants to overlook error
and have fake unity . What we need is real unity . That means JESUS loved above all , which means we love HIS DOCTRINE
it MATTERS . Doctrine matters . Say it with me . Doctrine matters . Be encouraged my friend .
But if folks wont warn , then at least let me do it . I aint here to have the world love me , Though i do love the people ,
I am here OUT OF LOVE To point to JESUS and that would mean the biblical one . We are running out of time
and a STRONG delusion is brewing and building . And none wants to go under that .
Doctrine matters.

Yep. Brother is right. The only way to know the biblical Lord Jesus and be saved is to read the Bible. One can’t profess to know the Biblical Jesus, without continually reading the bible. Our flesh will lead us astray if we do not keep reminding ourselves of the scriptures.

It’s time to raise our hands and dance a jig to the glorious Lord.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doctrine matters.

Yep. Brother is right. The only way to know the biblical Lord Jesus and be saved is to read the Bible. One can’t profess to know the Biblical Jesus, without continually reading the bible. Our flesh will lead us astray if we do not keep reminding ourselves of the scriptures.

It’s time to raise our hands and dance a jig to the glorious Lord.
Please try to stay on topic.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the parable of the sower, Jesus described preaching the gospel as broadcasting seed, rather than planting one seed at a time. As a result of broadcasting the seed, some would fall on hard ground, some in rocky soil, some among weeds and some in good soil.

By contrast, those who live in apartments or small houses, plant one seed at a time in good soil, hoping to have tomato plants, flowers, or what-have-you. Unlike broadcasting the seed, which falls on various kinds of soils, the apartment dweller already knows in advance that the soil is good and that the single seed will take root and grow to maturity.

Isn't it interesting that, in this case, Cornelius was instructed to send for Peter and Peter was instructed to visit Cornelius? And isn't Peter's visit to a small household more like the apartment dweller planting seed in good soil, than the farmer broadcasting seed? And just as the apartment dweller knows the soil is good and productive in advance of planting the seed, what do you think God knew about the heart of Cornelius, which had to be true before he sent Peter to preach the gospel to this man and his family personally?

According to the parable of the sower, there is no guarantee that the seed will take root or produce a crop. In other words, the preacher has no guarantee that everyone hearing the gospel will believe it or persevere. But, in the case of Peter and Cornelius? Isn't it logical to conclude that God had already prepared the heart of Cornelius to hear and accept the gospel, and that upon hearing it would believe it unto salvation?

Just thinking out loud here.

@Tong2020
I'm inclined to believe that one size does not fit all. We do not expect to find salvation as the Apostle Paul did. Seems like a "divine special" event. No one is waiting for that bright light. I think the situation with Cornelius could be another "divine special" event also. A situation with a broader purpose and message. It's easy to see the edification of Cornelius and his family because they were filled with the Holy Spirit but the larger message God had planned may in fact been for Peter and the Apostles. The manifestation of Cornelius and his family's conversion rattled the minds of those bogged down in the transition from the law to faith, Jew vs. Gentile. Was it a sign to Peter and others to facilitate their commission? I wonder why God didn't reveal the mystery through Jesus Christ before he ascended into Heaven. Why later by Jesus to Paul and the Holy Spirit to the Apostles and Prophets? Why was it necessary for Jesus to leave before the Holy Spirit arrived? I accept that we are not blessed enough to understand everything and must have faith that God has his reasons.

Reactions: Truman

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm inclined to believe that one size does not fit all. We do not expect to find salvation as the Apostle Paul did. Seems like a "divine special" event. No one is waiting for that bright light. I think the situation with Cornelius could be another "divine special" event also. A situation with a broader purpose and message. It's easy to see the edification of Cornelius and his family because they were filled with the Holy Spirit but the larger message God had planned may in fact been for Peter and the Apostles. The manifestation of Cornelius and his family's conversion rattled the minds of those bogged down in the transition from the law to faith, Jew vs. Gentile. Was it a sign to Peter and others to facilitate their commission? I wonder why God didn't reveal the mystery through Jesus Christ before he ascended into Heaven. Why later by Jesus to Paul and the Holy Spirit to the Apostles and Prophets? Why was it necessary for Jesus to leave before the Holy Spirit arrived? I accept that we are not blessed enough to understand everything and must have faith that God has his reasons.
One thing i have long learned my friend , There is no need to over think things .

Reactions: amadeus

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please try to stay on topic.
Can you imagine JESUS scolding someone who simply encouraged and reminded us of truth .
If i ever make a post and folks come on it and bring reminders OF TRUTH , key word is TRUTH
and even if its not on my topic , I IS GONNA PRAISE THE LORD JUST FOR BEING REMINDED of THE Truth .
Truman , who am i ...............naught but dust and ash my friend .
I wish to GOD everyone would point to truth and always remind me , EVEN OF THINGS I ALREADY KNOW
and even if it aint on the topic i started . POINTING to the LORD is a sound of pure beauty to my soul .
So let folks remind . Now if what one says if false , THEN YEAH correct that , but this dear sister
was simply reminding .

Reactions: Nancy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you imagine JESUS scolding someone who simply encouraged and reminded us of truth .
If i ever make a post and folks come on it and bring reminders OF TRUTH , key word is TRUTH
and even if its not on my topic , I IS GONNA PRAISE THE LORD JUST FOR BEING REMINDED of THE Truth .
Truman , who am i ...............naught but dust and ash my friend .
I wish to GOD everyone would point to truth and always remind me , EVEN OF THINGS I ALREADY KNOW
and even if it aint on the topic i started . POINTING to the LORD is a sound of pure beauty to my soul .
So let folks remind . Now if what one says if false , THEN YEAH correct that , but this dear sister
was simply reminding .
I find it disrespectful.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth. Everyone thinks they know it, yet one will realize very quickly from this forum, that our truths are all over the place.

For most of my life, me and my family went to the same church, listened to the same preachers, same sermons, but we never discussed what was said. This led to me believing that the four of us all got the same message from the same sermon. It wasnt till just about a couple of years ago, i found out that i was wrong. I was pretty much the most unknowing person sitting in those pews back then. I didnt know much about religion except for john 3:16. I thought all the preachers taught the same thing. At every church. Imagine my surprise at finding out they dont.

this is where till this day, i still remain confused about how using the same Bible, there can be soooo many different beliefs. I believe that those who do get to Heaven will all believe the same thing. But untill then, are we to just stand by and let people have their own beliefs? I dont think paul would agree to that. And so here we are, fighting each other over our beliefs. The truth..its what we all want for everyone else while thinking we ourselves already have it.

Reactions: Nancy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The truth. Everyone thinks they know it, yet one will realize very quickly from this forum, that our truths are all over the place.

For most of my life, me and my family went to the same church, listened to the same preachers, same sermons, but we never discussed what was said. This led to me believing that the four of us all got the same message from the same sermon. It wasnt till just about a couple of years ago, i found out that i was wrong. I was pretty much the most unknowing person sitting in those pews back then. I didnt know much about religion except for john 3:16. I thought all the preachers taught the same thing. At every church. Imagine my surprise at finding out they dont.

this is where till this day, i still remain confused about how using the same Bible, there can be soooo many different beliefs. I believe that those who do get to Heaven will all believe the same thing. But untill then, are we to just stand by and let people have their own beliefs? I dont think paul would agree to that. And so here we are, fighting each other over our beliefs. The truth..its what we all want for everyone else while thinking we ourselves already have it.
I think if we would check our hearts, as well as allow our emotions to settle down before we spoke, things would be different.
A saying I've adopted is, "You may disagree with me, but I'll defend your right to disagree with me." It's how I like others to treat me.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prove they are not for everybody...you can't. Just like I can't prove they are for everybody. Don't believe me? Prove me wrong! Lol

1Co 14:26 What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28 but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. 30 But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent.

If any man speak in an unknown tongue …” (It could be Greek or a reading of Hebrew). “… let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.” That is exactly what we had in most synagogues. You had a maethurgeman there who would listen to one language being said, and he would repeat back in the language of the people so they could understand it, and hear the message all for the edifying of the ekklesia. There is no use speaking to Greeks in Hebrew when they do not understand Hebrew. So when you read from the Old Testament, in Hebrew, you better have someone who can interpret.

They had an interpreter because the one who gave the reading from the Bible could not be the same one to interpret. There had to be another man over listening so that he could, in the same tone of voice, repeat what the other man said. If he did not say it exactly, this man would be right there to watch and to correct him. And the other man would watch the first. It was checks and balances because they did not have the Scripture like today when you can check whether or not I am quoting scripture correctly. He says, let them be “by course.”

Verse 28, “But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church [ekklesia]; and let him speak to himself, and to God.” A man can read Hebrew or give any message in Hebrew, but do it to himself, because the others cannot understand. If they cannot understand, then it is not helping, it is not “edifying.”

Verse 29, “Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other [others, plural in Greek] judge.” The practice was to let all types of people speak. Paul says two or three prophets. By prophets he does not mean people, who foretell events. A prophet was one who “forth-told” that is tells forth things, like a preacher. This is one of the classical meanings of “prophet.”

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 14:26 What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28 but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. 30 But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, the first one must keep silent.

If any man speak in an unknown tongue …” (It could be Greek or a reading of Hebrew). “… let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.” That is exactly what we had in most synagogues. You had a maethurgeman there who would listen to one language being said, and he would repeat back in the language of the people so they could understand it, and hear the message all for the edifying of the ekklesia. There is no use speaking to Greeks in Hebrew when they do not understand Hebrew. So when you read from the Old Testament, in Hebrew, you better have someone who can interpret.

They had an interpreter because the one who gave the reading from the Bible could not be the same one to interpret. There had to be another man over listening so that he could, in the same tone of voice, repeat what the other man said. If he did not say it exactly, this man would be right there to watch and to correct him. And the other man would watch the first. It was checks and balances because they did not have the Scripture like today when you can check whether or not I am quoting scripture correctly. He says, let them be “by course.”

Verse 28, “But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church [ekklesia]; and let him speak to himself, and to God.” A man can read Hebrew or give any message in Hebrew, but do it to himself, because the others cannot understand. If they cannot understand, then it is not helping, it is not “edifying.”

Verse 29, “Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other [others, plural in Greek] judge.” The practice was to let all types of people speak. Paul says two or three prophets. By prophets he does not mean people, who foretell events. A prophet was one who “forth-told” that is tells forth things, like a preacher. This is one of the classical meanings of “prophet.”
People have a hard time parsing tongue (language) from tongue (spiritual utterances) because of traditions. They just do not want to see it, they cover their ears and eyes. I think you're spot on regarding this. BUT I do believe there is spiritual prayer language too. Pentecost was not a spiritual prayer language.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing i have long learned my friend , There is no need to over think things .
I believe that often it is our thinking... coming from that old man of us struggling to regain his lost dominion in us... that becomes an obstacle to the leading of the Holy Spirit in us and therefore growth toward being like Jesus.

Will someone think too much about this now and present a well thought out argument against it?

Who directs our steps?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem. 10:24

We read the scriptures [eating the flesh of Jesus] and then as it is quickened by the Holy Spirit [drinking the blood of Jesus] we growing becoming more and more like Him!

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that often it is our thinking... coming from that old man of us struggling to regain his lost dominion in us... that becomes an obstacle to the leading of the Holy Spirit in us and therefore growth toward being like Jesus.

Will someone think too much about this now and present a well thought out argument against it?

Who directs our steps?

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem. 10:24

We read the scriptures [eating the flesh of Jesus] and then as it is quickened by the Holy Spirit [drinking the blood of Jesus] we growing becoming more and more like Him!
I say if any wants to THINK on and ponder on anything , LET IT BE THE GLORIOUS WORDS OF OUR RISEN SAVOIR .
Arise and let all that has breath praise the glorious Lord our savoir JESUS CHRIST . The ONLY NAME WHEREBY ANY CAN BE SAVED .
Folks over think the simplicity of the gospel as well . Can you believe we got men like pope francis and scores of others
that say other religions dont even need to repent and come to the saving faith of Christ to be saved . Talk about overthinking
and what it does to a mind . As for me i keep it real , real simple . BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST and YE SHALL BE saved
but BELIEVE NOT IN HIM and ye shall be damned . Course JESUS said it first . Now let all that has breath
arise and praise with thunderous praise our glorious LORD . FOR THE LORD IT IS HE WHO IS GOD
and there is no other GOD .and no other way unto GOD but in the SON .

Reactions: amadeus

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Are they for everybody?
isn't tongue a language
11 And G2532 that every G3956 tongue G1100 should confess G1843 that G3754 Jesus G2424 Christ G5547 is Lord G2962, to G1519 the glory G1391 of God G2316 the Father G3962.
G1100
Original: γλῶσσα

Transliteration: glōssa

Phonetic: gloce-sah'

Thayer Definition:

the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech
a tongue
the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
Origin: of uncertain affinity

TDNT entry: 12:59,1

Part(s) of speech: Noun Feminine

Strong's Definition: Of uncertain affinity; the tongue ; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): - tongue.

you probably meant gift of tongues i guess

·TONGUES, GIFT OF granted on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4), in fulfilment of a promise Christ had made to his disciples (Mark 16:17).
What this gift actually was has been a subject of much discussion. Some have argued that it was merely an outward sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit among the disciples, typifying his manifold gifts, and showing that salvation was to be extended to all nations. But the words of Luke (Acts 2:9) clearly show that the various peoples in Jerusalem at the time of Pentecost did really hear themselves addressed in their own special language with which they were naturally acquainted (comp. Joel 2:28, 29).
Among the gifts of the Spirit the apostle enumerates in 1 Corinthians 12:10-14:30, “divers kinds of tongues” and the “interpretation of tongues.”
This “gift” was a different manifestation of the Spirit from that on Pentecost, although it resembled it in many particulars. Tongues were to be “a sign to them that believe not.”

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
isn't tongue a language
11 And G2532 that every G3956 tongue G1100 should confess G1843 that G3754 Jesus G2424 Christ G5547 is Lord G2962, to G1519 the glory G1391 of God G2316 the Father G3962.
G1100
Original: γλῶσσα

Transliteration: glōssa

Phonetic: gloce-sah'

Thayer Definition:

the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech
a tongue
the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
Origin: of uncertain affinity

TDNT entry: 12:59,1

Part(s) of speech: Noun Feminine

Strong's Definition: Of uncertain affinity; the tongue ; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): - tongue.

you probably meant gift of tongues i guess

·TONGUES, GIFT OF granted on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4), in fulfilment of a promise Christ had made to his disciples (Mark 16:17).
What this gift actually was has been a subject of much discussion. Some have argued that it was merely an outward sign of the presence of the Holy Spirit among the disciples, typifying his manifold gifts, and showing that salvation was to be extended to all nations. But the words of Luke (Acts 2:9) clearly show that the various peoples in Jerusalem at the time of Pentecost did really hear themselves addressed in their own special language with which they were naturally acquainted (comp. Joel 2:28, 29).
Among the gifts of the Spirit the apostle enumerates in 1 Corinthians 12:10-14:30, “divers kinds of tongues” and the “interpretation of tongues.”
This “gift” was a different manifestation of the Spirit from that on Pentecost, although it resembled it in many particulars. Tongues were to be “a sign to them that believe not.”
There are three types of tongues, two are unknown, but one of the two can be interpreted by someone with that gift of the spirit.

If all tongues are a known language, then when the church at Corinth forbade tongues, they forbade speaking in known languages - which would mean they would have had to learn sign language to have church services and preaching.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
There are three types of tongues, two are unknown, but one of the two can be interpreted by someone with that gift of the spirit.

If all tongues are a known language, then when the church at Corinth forbade tongues, they forbade speaking in known languages - which would mean they would have had to learn sign language to have church services and preaching.
thank you

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
there are lots of known tongues here flapping on about their excellent swimming skills while they drown and a few unknown tongues trying to deliver bouyancy rings to those who speak of being great swimmers.
excellent knowledge on the bible like all knowing but little did they know they are just fools and them unknown tongues just like what i did

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order. - 1 Corinthians 14:39-40

It is always nice to be in service where tongues are not forbidden and things are done decently and in order... Like it is in my church!

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob