Typical questions people ask about the Olivet Discourse.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
Our men's group is discussing the Olivet Discourse and in order to facilitate a good discussion, I would like to present a list of typical questions often asked about the subject. Can you help me think of questions to ask?

I already have three in mind.

Why does Luke talk about armies while Mark and Matthew talk about the Abomination of Desolation?
What does Jesus mean by "the elect"?
What does Jesus mean by "this generation?"

Can you think of other questions that we typically ask? Our meeting is next week. I want to gather your questions and put them together with mine and make a list for our group to follow.

Thanks in advance. :)

Davidpt

Dec 6, 2023
East Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
Our men's group is discussing the Olivet Discourse and in order to facilitate a good discussion, I would like to present a list of typical questions often asked about the subject. Can you help me think of questions to ask?

Why does Luke talk about armies while Mark and Matthew talk about the Abomination of Desolation?

Can you think of other questions that we typically ask? Our meeting is next week. I want to gather your questions and put them together with mine and make a list for our group to follow.

-----------------------------
The day of the Lord, where does that fit in the Discourse?
-----------------------------

The gathering in Matthew 24:31, is that involving the rapture or something else?
-------------------------

If the destroying of the 2nd temple is the main focus of the Discourse, why does Jesus start out by answering in the following manner?

Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Mark 13:5 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:
6 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

Luke 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
----------------------------------------

Have the times of the Gentiles already been fulfilled? Why this might matter will help how to determine when this generation shall pass away, the fact this generation cannot pass away until all things are fufilled first, which obviously includes the times of the Gentiles being fulfilled first.
------------------------------

Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

This verse records an exile from their homeland---and shall be led away captive into all nations. Shouldn't that mean there eventually has to be a return back to their homeland? If yes, shouldn't this also help us determine when this generation shall pass away, since a return to their homeland would need to be fulfilled first before this generation can pass away?

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Hi all,

Why is it that despite the disciples' question regarding the temple in Jerusalem, in all three synoptic gospels the first thing Jesus begins to speak about after He sat down on the Mount of Olives, was the persecution and tribulation His disciples would endure?

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

One thing that you could ask about is that both Matthew and Mark have the statement “let him that readeth understand” which is said just after a reference to the book of Daniel.

The question is did the book of Daniel get unsealed by this statement, meaning people who read Daniel will understand the book of Daniel or is it referring to people reading the Olivet Discourse itself that are going to understand the Olivet Discourse.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

Most tend to disagree but I'm adamant that many get wrong the answer to: "What did Jesus identify as the "Great Tribulation?' "

I also think many get wrong, "What are "all these things" that must take place in this generation?"

I would also ask, "What are the specific "birth pains" that Jesus said would take place, and when?

I would also ask, "What did Jesus mean when he said that his Coming would take place in 'this generation?"

Also, "What do the leafing of the 'Fig Tree' refer to, according to Jesus?"

Also, "Who did Jesus indicate the people were who would be gathered at the Coming of the Son of Man?"

Also, "Who did Jesus indicate would be "Taken," and who "Left" at some point, and what event would that be?"

I'm sure there are more! My own answers to these questions have lead many to presume I'm a Partial Preterist, but I am not. Asking these questions to a group of inquiring students is a great idea. We should encourage individuality rather than conformity.

Have a good time with it, Cady!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

1.) The armies shown by Luke brings the desolation of Jerusalem, that's full of abomination

Ezekiel 33:29KJV
29 Then shall they know that I am the Lord, when I have laid the land most desolate because of all their abominations which they have committed.

2.) The "Elect" are God's called and chosen the church, saved believers who are sanctified by the Spirit

1 Peter 1:2KJV
2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

"This Generation" is the generation that will be eyewitnesses of the events seen in Matthew Chapter 24, a future generation that will be present on earth to see the Lord's 2nd coming, and it didn't take place in 70AD as preterist falsely claim

Matthew 24:29-30KJV
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,

What is the main purpose for the Discourse (1) was it written that believers might know through signs of the second coming of Christ, or (2) that believers might understand the Kingdom of God has come, and through preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom of God, the spiritual Kingdom of God shall be complete? IOW is Christ preoccupied with His coming again, or is He preoccupied with telling His disciples about the spiritual Kingdom of God?

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Did the events that Jesus predicted happen within that generation before the city and the temple fell?

Why does Jesus repeatedly use the term “you will” when speaking to the deciples in the Olivit discourse?

Timtofly

Apr 9, 2020
Mount Morris
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do people think the Olivet Discourse was over in 15 minutes?

"And in the day time he was teaching in the temple; and at night he went out, and abode in the mount that is called the mount of Olives. And all the people came early in the morning to him in the temple, for to hear him." Luke 21:37-38

This all took place over several days, from Palm Sunday to at least Tuesday. Tuesday evening they ate the Last Supper and then went to the Garden to pray. I am sure others will argue more days than that if they thought about it. It seems Jesus spent Sunday and Monday evenings, at the least, on the Mount of Olives, and was back teaching in the temple early Monday and Tuesday morning. They wanted Jesus arrested by that point.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
One thing that you could ask about is that both Matthew and Mark have the statement “let him that readeth understand” which is said just after a reference to the book of Daniel.

The question is did the book of Daniel get unsealed by this statement, meaning people who read Daniel will understand the book of Daniel or is it referring to people reading the Olivet Discourse itself that are going to understand the Olivet Discourse.
And the reason it's written that the reader should understand is because most people who read Daniel do not understand Daniel (such as yourself).

grafted branch

Dec 11, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the reason it's written that the reader should understand is because most people who read Daniel do not understand Daniel (such as yourself).
I’m not sure what you’re driving at, currently both the Olivet Discourse and the book of Daniel are highly contested. Certainly those believers who fled Jerusalem in the first century read and understood else they would not have fled, and an argument could be made that in the future the reader’s will all understand and come to a consensus about what pertains to them at that time, but this remains to be seen.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the main purpose for the Discourse (1) was it written that believers might know through signs of the second coming of Christ, or (2) that believers might understand the Kingdom of God has come, and through preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom of God, the spiritual Kingdom of God shall be complete? IOW is Christ preoccupied with His coming again, or is He preoccupied with telling His disciples about the spiritual Kingdom of God?
You aren't going to take future literal eyes on this earth and the clouds of this earth, and remove them through your symbolic allegory in a (Spiritual Kingdom)

"Yes" Future literal eyes, future literal clouds of earth, and the future literal second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens

Reformed eschatology removes the literal seen because it destroys their preterist teaching in 70AD fulfillment of Matthew Chapter 24

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You aren't going to take future literal eys on earth and the clouds of this earth, and remove them through your symbolic allegory in a (Spiritual Kingdom)

"Yes" Future literal eyes, future literal clouds of earth, and the future literal second coming of Jesus Christ in the heavens

Reformed eschatology removes the literal seen because it destroys their preterist teaching in 70AD fulfillment of Matthew Chapter 24

How does knowing the Kingdom of God that is not of this world, is not visible, and is within you, is a spiritual Kingdom, take away literal fulfillment that shall be when Christ comes again?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does knowing the Kingdom of God that is not of this world, is not visible, and is within you, is a spiritual Kingdom, take away literal fulfillment that shall be when Christ comes again?
Once again, you aren't removing literal eyes and clouds and turn them into a symbolic allegory, your claims aren't even in the ballpark regarding the scripture presented

Yes reformed eschatology that you follow removes the literal seen to make way for the false teachings in 70AD fulfillment, it's that simple

It wasn't the generation in 70AD, it's a future generation that will be eyewitnesses of the events, including the literal 2nd coming of Jesus Christ

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again, you aren't removing literal eyes and clouds and turn them into a symbolic allegory, your claims aren't even in the ballpark regarding the scripture presented

Yes reformed eschatology that you follow removes the literal seen to make way for the false teachings in 70AD fulfillment, it's that simple

It wasn't the generation in 70AD, it's a future generation that will be eyewitnesses of the events, including the literal 2nd coming of Jesus Christ

I have no idea of what the heck you are talking about! 70 AD is simply the date when Jerusalem and the temple fell to final ruin FOREVER through the Roman Army under the providence of God!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the events that Jesus predicted happen within that generation before the city and the temple fell?

Why does Jesus repeatedly use the term “you will” when speaking to the deciples in the Olivit discourse?
Matthew 24:3KJV
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where does Scripture tell us that a single generation, you apparently think is future shall be eyewitnesses of all these things that shall be fulfilled before the second coming of Christ?

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea of what the heck you are talking about! 70 AD is simply the date when Jerusalem and the temple fell to final ruin FOREVER through the Roman Army under the providence of God!
Who is "This Generation" that will not pass until all is fulfilled, past, present, or future, please explain?

Matthew 24:34KJV
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does Scripture tell us that a single generation, you apparently think is future shall be eyewitnesses of all these things that shall be fulfilled before the second coming of Christ?
It states (Generation) singular, not (Generations), your suggestion it's multiple (Generations) is false