Use Not this verse : 1 John 1:9...if you are born again.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The old man is going to be BURNED, DESTROYED in the fire, as the old man pursues their sinful works of the flesh, not the spirit.
Notice it says they will be saved, YET SO AS THROUGH FIRE. Their bad works are going to burn up in the judgement. Only the spirit is saved.
This is inescapable, God is not mocked, what a man sows he reaps.

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone [b]defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you can read, saved believers still can sin. they are just not sinning with the NEW MAN of the Spirit, but they sin with the OLD MAN of the flesh.
Anyone who denies this reality is trying to deceive you. Both are still present with us as we still live in this body of flesh.
If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. is proven true, according to the scriptures, in multiple places.
1 John 1:8 is in the present tense - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

There are some delusional people on this board who are suffering from a terminal case of self righteousness by claiming they have so sin (in the present tense - sinless perfection) deceive themselves, and the truth is not in them.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
As you can read, saved believers still can sin. they are just not sinning with the NEW MAN of the Spirit, but they sin with the OLD MAN of the flesh.
Anyone who denies this reality is trying to deceive yo

You're teaching the deception.

Paul said that the born again, are "made free from sin", because "Jesus is the one time eternal sacrifice for sin".
Paul teaches that the "old man of sin is dead", so, how can what is DEAD, "sin"?
This is why Paul told YOU, to "reckon the old man dead".

You decided however that you know more about it, and that your old man is not dead, and that you sin.

So, is Paul the deceiver, or are you Scott?

A.) You.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Paul said that the born again, are "made free from sin", because "Jesus is the one time eternal sacrifice for sin".
Paul teaches that the "old man of sin is dead", so, how can what is DEAD, "sin"?

You decided however that you know more about it, and that your old man is not dead, and that you sin.

A.) You.
Several have called you out on this thread as being deceived, and see those who push a strange doctrine and then cannot defend it according to scriptures complain about cut and paste of the scriptures as they know the scriptures contradict what they teach, so they do not like what the scripture says, they have their private interpretations.

The other truth is once they start twisting the scriptures, they twist them all. Heading down a slippery slope. It really is a hard and narrow path that leads to eternal life.

15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

17 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked;

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Several have called you out on this thread as being deceived,

Let me rephrase .. your nonsense, Scott.

"several who dont understand the Cross of Christ, who believe that salvation can be lost, and are trying to confess sin to stay saved and try not to go to hell", have shown up on all my Thread's for many years.... on all Forums.... , Scott.
You're just the latest one of those...., and you wont be the last.

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

A.) You.
Except you are ignoring the very scriptures I posted about the old man that Paul wrote, who tells saved people to 'PUT OFF the OLD MAN'
If he tells them to do that, then logically the old man can be put on by them and have effects on their spiritual life as in pointing to their judgement, not of eternal death like you claim. See your so mixed up about being your sinlessness, you got this bug under your but and can't see beyond the ragged emotions of your mind when challenged with the truth. So then you malign me when I am pointing out to you your error. You definitely think you got it all figured out, but people like that are some of the blindest people around.

I am putting you on ignore now. Bye.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Except you are ignoring the very scriptures I posted about the old man

Scott,

You posted that we are to "put off the old man"..... and then you teach this as "resist sin". "we still sin"

That's wrong.

See you are not understanding that "the old man of sin is dead"...>"Crucified with Christ".....so, you dont deal with it...... you "reckon it dead"..
In other words, you understand that its GONE.
And WHO has replaced it?

A.) The "new Creation in Christ". The "Son/Daughter of God".

You are trying resurrect the old DEAD man of sin as..>"see i still sin".

Ok then.
Take care.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I only know you by your posts.
So, what you write, is who you are, to me.
Initially you wrote that you sin and confess, and you feel that this is what all Christians do.
This is based on a verse in 1 John that isn't directed to the body of Christ tho you can't realize it.
So, many posts back i showed you that 1 John 3:9 is the opposite of your verse, and that its doctrine for the body of Christ... and you apparently didn't read it, or just dont care. ?
Sorry but you lie. John wrote to believers- not to unbelievers.

Well your don't care remark just shows your smugness.

You need to learn what it means in the original and not just simple word for word.

YOu seem to make all verses that describe forgiveness, growth in holiness and sanctrification, mercy and partience as not being for believers.

Once again you have deluded yourself to believe that at the moment you were born again you received perfect knowledge and knew all thoughts and deeds that would be sin and have never had a nanosecond where you once again reverted back to teh old man.

Have the last word for we have reached an end.

I close once more with this warning to you:

1 John 1:8​

King James Version​

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

We will see before the thro9ne of our Savior who is right and who is deceived.

For I say with Paul: "for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Jesus has become "sin" for the believer, and died, so did their sin, and their "old man of sin".

Believers who are confessing sin, and so called "bible translators" who dont understand, teach to "sin and confess".

If you read 1 John 3:9, you'll note that it says that there is no sin found with the born again.
1 John 3:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

! John 3:9 clearly does not say what you claim!
It says that if we confess our sins, Jesus will forgive us and cleanse us. It says that there is sin found in believers, and we must confess those sins.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Sorry but you lie. John wrote to believers- not to unbelievers.

The Letters , the epistles were often just an exact recanting of what an Apostle did with some unbelievers.

Sometimes a verse is for both the unbeliever, and can be used as the Gospel by believers.

Like this..
John 3:16 says....>"for God so loved the world"...... "that whosoever believeth in Jesus".....
See that?
That verse is not given to the Church (Believers) as they have already believed.
Do you understand?

1 John 1:9 is TO the unbeliever, but it can be used, somewhat as the Gospel, as it talks about the unbelievers having sin.

See, often, an Atheist is like the person John is talking to, in 1 John 1:9,... as they dont believe in sin, or anything else related to the Cross.
So, you would say...>"if we say we dont have sin".... but that is not you with the sin, that is them with the sin..

See that?

Let me show it to you like this...

Lets say, i said....... "Ronald, we have to learn what it means to rightly divide the word so that we dont apply a verse to ourselves that is meant for the unbeliever'.

Now, i just said..>"so that WE Dont".
But im not talking about me, im talking about you.....but i said "we".
See it?
That is "if WE say we have no sin", and John is not talking about Himself, as He does not have any sin.
They do... They are the "we" in the verse.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
1 John 3:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

Jim B....In your typical carnal minded rush to always try to fire up an argument, you have actually quoted 1 John 1:9, and said you posted 1 John 3:9.

You posted the wrong verse, Jim B.

Here is 1 John 3:9

"""""Whoever has been born of God.... DOES NOT SIN...., for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. """""

Go ahead now and edit your post, or just delete it, JimB.

- Thx again.

Last edited:

TahitiRun

Feb 28, 2022
AtlanticCoast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice...>"The righteousness of GOD"...... is Where?

Where is it??

= Its "IN CHRIST".... is the "Righteousness of God" ......and who is "IN CHRIST" where the "righteousness of God"" is found? ??

A.) ALL the Born again.......are "in Christ" having been "made righteous"... as "the Righteousness of God" "in Christ".
I would agree that those born of God are "in Christ". However, all things are "in Christ". For "each one of us" live, move and have our being "in Him". All of humanity was created "in Christ" and "unto/for" Christ:

Act 17:27 that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us:
Act 17:28 for in him we live, and move, and have our being, as certain even of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Col 1:16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers, all things have been created through him, and unto him,
Col 1:17 and he is before all things, and in him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church; who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Col 1:19 For it was the good pleasure of the Father that in him should all the fullness dwell,
Col 1:20 and through him to reconcile all things unto himself, having made peace through the blood of his cross, through him, I say, whether things upon the earth, or things in the heavens.

Man was created "in" the image of God. And that image of God is Christ.

Gen 1:27 And God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them;

Col 1:15 who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation,

2Co 4:4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them.

And God "blessed" man whom He created:

Gen 1:27 And God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them;

Gen_5:2 male and female created He them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;

All were blessed "in Christ" from the foundation of the world and all will inherit the Kingdom of God.

TahitiRun

Feb 28, 2022
AtlanticCoast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old man is going to be BURNED, DESTROYED in the fire, as the old man pursues their sinful works of the flesh, not the spirit.
Notice it says they will be saved, YET SO AS THROUGH FIRE. Their bad works are going to burn up in the judgement. Only the spirit is saved.
This is inescapable, God is not mocked, what a man sows he reaps.....
This is a good post, however it is not only applicable to the works of believers, but also unbelievers:

Here are a few scriptures to validate this:

1Co 5:3 For I verily, being absent in body but present in spirit, have already as though I were present judged him that hath so wrought this thing,
1Co 5:4 in the name of our Lord Jesus, ye being gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus,
1Co 5:5 to deliver such a one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

1Pe 4:6 For unto this end was the gospel preached even to the dead, that they might be judged indeed according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Luk 20:38 Now he is not the God of the dead, but of the living; for all live unto him.