Was Jesus 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
'And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.' (1corinthians15:45)

Was Jesus 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

Definitely, 'immortal', till death on the Cross, there's no defilement or blemish in Him. That's why, He is the perfect sacrifice to take away the sins of this world. (Isaiah ch. 53)

Reread, how the priest inspect a sacrificial lamb before it is offered as a sacrifice.

Why, all after Adam become 'mortal', is because of rebellion and sin, non is better than Adam, but alone Christ.

'For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.' (1corinthians15:21&22)

Conclusion made simple and short, in contrast to lengthy vain replies and quotes. for it is written, "You will know them by their fruit."

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answer to the question at the top of the thread, I would say that in his human form he was mortal - he could die, which he did - and in his resurrected form he is immortal.

And you could also say Jesus never stopped being "Immanuel" (God with us) in the flesh while He was here on earth in a flesh body.

One needs to be careful of thinking that our actual 'person' is in our flesh; it isn't. Our actual person is made up of our spirit and soul that only dwells... inside our flesh body. When our flesh bodies dies, it simply goes back to the earthly material matter where it came from. But the 'you', your ID, or person, is hard linked to your spirit body and soul which goes back to God Who gave it (Eccl.12:5-7).

Like Jesus said in John 3, that which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of The Spirit is spirit. That's about the 2 different dimensions and orders of existence, this earthly one and the heavenly one. When your flesh dies, the heavenly order is suddenly exposed to you.

John 4 says that "God is a Spirit". Thus Jesus' Spirit inside His flesh body NEVER stopped being God. Jesus simply relegated His Godly power to fulfill the prophecy of His suffering to fulfill Scripture. At any time during His 1st coming Jesus still had the Power as God via His Spirit.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek word immortality is athanasia and is formed by the negative prefix a followed by a form of the word for “death” (thanatos). Thus, the basic meaning is “deathlessness,” and refers to the quality of life that is enjoyed, its endlessness and indestructibility. (1 Corinthians 15:53,54; 1 Timothy6:16) The Greek word aphtharsia, meaning “incorruption,” refers to that which cannot decay or be corrupted, that which is imperishable. (Romans 2:7; 1 Corinthians15:42,50,53; Ephesians 6:24; 2 Timothy 1:10).

The expressions “immortal” or “immortality” do not occur in the Hebrew Scriptures, but they do show, however, that YHWH God, as the Source of all life, is not subject to death, so, is immortal. (Psalm 36:7, 9; 90:1, 2; Haha kun 1:12)) This fact is also emphatically stated by the Christian apostle Paul in referring to God as “the King of eternity, incorruptible," at, 1 Timothy 1:17.

The Hebrew Scriptures make very plain and clear that man is not inherently immortal. References to the human soul (nephesh) as dying, heading for the grave, and being destroyed are numerous. (Genesis 17:14; Joshua 10:32; Job 32:22; Psalm 22:29; 78:50; Ezekial 18:4, 20) The Christian Greek Scriptures, or New Testament are in harmony old testament so likewise contain references to the death of the soul (psykhe). (Matthew 26:38; Mark 3:4; Acts 3:23; James 5:20; Revelation 8:9; 16:3) So the Christian Greek Scriptures do not dispute or alter the inspired teaching of the Hebrew Scriptures that man, the human soul, is mortal, subject to death. The Christian Greek Scriptures, however, do contain the revelation of God’s purpose to grant immortality to certain of his servants.

It's my understanding from the scriptures that because human beings are mortal not immortal, then when Jesus was on earth as a human he was mortal, not immortal. There's nothing in the scriptures written down anywhere that Jesus was immortal, until he was resurrected from the dead.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek word immortality is athanasia and is formed by the negative prefix a followed by a form of the word for “death” (thanatos). Thus, the basic meaning is “deathlessness,” and refers to the quality of life that is enjoyed, its endlessness and indestructibility. (1 Corinthians 15:53,54; 1 Timothy6:16) The Greek word aphtharsia, meaning “incorruption,” refers to that which cannot decay or be corrupted, that which is imperishable. (Romans 2:7; 1 Corinthians15:42,50,53; Ephesians 6:24; 2 Timothy 1:10).

The expressions “immortal” or “immortality” do not occur in the Hebrew Scriptures, but they do show, however, that YHWH God, as the Source of all life, is not subject to death, so, is immortal. (Psalm 36:7, 9; 90:1, 2; Haha kun 1:12)) This fact is also emphatically stated by the Christian apostle Paul in referring to God as “the King of eternity, incorruptible," at, 1 Timothy 1:17.

The Hebrew Scriptures make very plain and clear that man is not inherently immortal. References to the human soul (nephesh) as dying, heading for the grave, and being destroyed are numerous. (Genesis 17:14; Joshua 10:32; Job 32:22; Psalm 22:29; 78:50; Ezekial 18:4, 20) The Christian Greek Scriptures, or New Testament are in harmony old testament so likewise contain references to the death of the soul (psykhe). (Matthew 26:38; Mark 3:4; Acts 3:23; James 5:20; Revelation 8:9; 16:3) So the Christian Greek Scriptures do not dispute or alter the inspired teaching of the Hebrew Scriptures that man, the human soul, is mortal, subject to death. The Christian Greek Scriptures, however, do contain the revelation of God’s purpose to grant immortality to certain of his servants.

It's my understanding from the scriptures that because human beings are mortal not immortal, then when Jesus was on earth as a human he was mortal, not immortal. There's nothing in the scriptures written down anywhere that Jesus was immortal, until he was resurrected from the dead.
It is also my understanding that there's nothing in the Scriptures written down anywhere that Jesus was immortal until he was resurrected from the dead.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the FATHER,) full of grace and truth.' (John 1:14)

'And also written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.' (1 Corinthians 15:45)

'The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from Heaven.' (1 Corinthians 15:47)

How can we witness to others using the sound doctrine knowledge of the Holy Bible, if such a question arise ?
I too will be made a quickening spirit. Also Jesus became the Lord from heaven after he was resurrected.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it? Another poster had warned me to be careful about discussing the Trinity, but I didn't see anything in the rules. Can you clarify what it is and what the scope of the prohibition is, especially since I've already at least alluded to the Trinity in several posts?
They only kill the forums when I begin to post in debt.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was ASKING @Lambano what the forbidden topic is. Someone had alerted me the Trinity was a touchy subject here, but I don't know if it is the forbidden topic to which Lambano was referring.
They just locked the last forum we were on together so nobody can post there. If I get a little too involved here they will lock this one too.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Talk to the admins about it. I didn't make the rules. But things really got very nasty indeed.
I never ever get nasty. But what does happen is people get very nasty to me and it's always for the same reason. I have an answer for every verse they post and they don't want that. They want to be able to win really bad so they can say see here's proof that Jesus is God. And they can't do that with me. So they complain to management and always call me names and ask me why I'm here and try to get me banned. When Management has had enough they lock the post.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yo Taken,
When it comes to scripture we can claim anything a fact. If Jesus was in a flesh body and it died, that would suggest Jesus by the flesh was mortal. What was inside of him of course was eternal, which came from heaven into that body.

It’s by faith we even believe that God exist or that even the Word of God came down from heaven, born of Mary by the overshadow of the Holy Spirit of Yahava.
You make a lot of sense MatthewG:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
When Jesus resurrected, did He rise in His spirit or in His body ?

Apparently, In the same body He was buried, even with the wounds He inflicted visible.

if He is mortal, why death could not hold Him, and why His body didn't decay ?

Every natural human who die, death able to hold them captive and their body naturally decay.

Jesus also truly had a human body, what makes Him different ?

What makes one 'mortal' ?

What makes one 'Immortal' ?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Jesus resurrected, did He rise in His spirit or in His body ?

Apparently, In the same body He was buried, even with the wounds He inflicted visible.

if He is mortal, why death could not hold Him, and why His body didn't decay ?

Every natural human who die, death able to hold them captive and their body naturally decay.

Jesus also truly had a human body, what makes Him different ?

What makes one 'mortal' ?

What makes one 'Immortal' ?
How many days does it take the body to decay? I believe he was raised with a different body, but I'm not sure since he still had nail holes on his body.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
How many days does it take the body to decay? I believe he was raised with a different body, but I'm not sure since he still had nail holes on his body.
Do the math, His tomb was empty.................

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter,

Consider, not being able see Spirit. Therefore the risen body, though shown to doing interesting things by the Lord Yeshua, would have to be fleshly in order to see. Do you consider Jesus by his risen body was not alive by blood, because it was used to pay for the world’s sins. Looking again his risen body was risen by the Holy Spirit of his Father, Yahavah. That was pouring life into sustaining the material flesh of the Lord until he goes on forward to bring in his former glory.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter,

Consider, not being able see Spirit. Therefore the risen body, though shown to doing interesting things by the Lord Yeshua, would have to be fleshly in order to see. Do you consider Jesus by his risen body was not alive by blood, because it was used to pay for the world’s sins. Looking again his risen body was risen by the Holy Spirit of his Father, Yahavah. That was pouring life into sustaining the material flesh of the Lord until he goes on forward to bring in his former glory.
I know that but somebody else was saying Jesus must have been God because his body did not decay. I simply asked how long does a body take to decay and nobody answered that question.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that but somebody else was saying Jesus must have been God because his body did not decay. I simply asked how long does a body take to decay and nobody answered that question.
Let me ask you this. How were the people buried? They knew how the Egyptians buried their dead? Had baptism for the dead, with the molten sea. Isn’t there a special way Hebrews were buried?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask you this. How were the people buried? They knew how the Egyptians buried their dead? Had baptism for the dead, with the molten sea. Isn’t there a special way Hebrews were buried?
And I will bet you my car that the wealthy Jewish Joseph who buried Jesus spared no cost.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is also my understanding that there's nothing in the Scriptures written down anywhere that Jesus was immortal until he was resurrected from the dead.
Then you and I are in agreement that before Jesus sacrificed his human life his human body for mankind he was mortal. If Jesus had been immortal before he sacrificed himself it would have been impossible for him to be put to death. So yes the only begotten Son of God didn't have immortality until after he was resurrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.