We are judged by works, not by faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes a person who is a christian can lose faith, and have to make a trip to the lake of fire, when they come around to not trusting having faith in God, or Jesus.

Yeah, I have no problem with saying that. Though I am not the judge.

Love to ya my man,

just the other day I had a thought in my own head is Jesus Christ really the way, the truth and the life?

O.K. - I was sensing that that was most likely your position by the way you perceive the relationship between faith and works. I guess I really should be able to detect stuff like this since I've diligently been studying this topic for over 39 years now - lol

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
O.K. - I was sensing that that was most likely your position by the way you perceive the relationship between faith and works. I guess I really should be able to detect stuff like this since I've diligently been studying this topic for over 39 years now - lol

Have you come up with a different theory or scenario?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible teaches us that our works judge us, not our faith. We aren't judged by what we believe, but by what we do.

Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

In the Bible good works have always been necessary to be judged righteous with God. That includes all NT believers, because God is not a respecter of persons when righteously judging any man's work.

The Bible never says we are judged by our faith alone, and not by our works. We are justified by works, because our deeds judge our faith, whether it is of God or not.

Good works is not just a show of faith, but are the necessary means of being just and righteous with God. Christ comes to make our works truly good, because they are not from a pure heart of faith. He does not come to bypass works and judge us by our faith alone.

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

We see here how we are not only justified by our works, but we are also resurrected unto life by our works being judged as good with God.

Faith without works is so useless, because without the good works we do by faith, we do not receive the reward of inheriting the kingdom of God forever.

Faith is not the end goal. Good works are the goal of faith, because the reward of inheritance is by good works, not by faith alone.

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The Bible says being charitable in life is greater than faith. Faith and hope are important, and faith is the gift of God, so that we can please Him by doing good. Doing good and not evil is how we are judged by God to be worthy to walk with Him in white forever.

Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
'Then said they unto Him,
"What shall we do,
that we might work the works of God?"
Jesus answered and said unto them,
"This is the work of God,
that ye believe on Him Whom He hath sent."
'
(Joh 6:28-29)

:)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh? Would like to hear what your thoughts are about it if you would like to share with me. I may not have anything to say with what you share, but nonetheless.

@Rapture Bound maybe on a new topic?

Sure, I'd be glad to share my thoughts. Perhaps the best way would be for you to check out my thread where I provide compelling evidence for my claim @ < Once Blood Bought and Justified, Always Blood Bought and Justified? ... You Betcha! > .... there you will find the most common objections to my position and how I go about answering them. I'm pretty confident that when you read my thread that plenty of questions will arise my friend.

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh? Would like to hear what your thoughts are about it if you would like to share with me. I may not have anything to say with what you share, but nonetheless.

@Rapture Bound maybe on a new topic?

Here's a conversation that I had with a friend who holds to the LOS [Loss Of Salvation] position that will shed more light on my position :

The question that we were discussing was, "Are all of a believers sins already forgiven as it pertains to a believer's justified standing before God?"

Here's the dialogue which, in essence, displays the distinction between a person's possession of a true or a false sense of eternal security before God.

Me : Another way to perceive the question would be, "Can believers possess a present assurance of a future entrance into Heaven? ... or will failure on the part of some to confess or repent of their future sins "sufficiently" disqualify them from their Heavenly inheritance [in which case will necessarily render the impossibility of any single believer from possessing the present assurance that their future sins will never disqualify them]?

Many of those who believe that some genuine believers will lose [forfeit] their salvation agree that the believer can [and must] have assurance that they are a child of God. However, they don't believe this assurance includes a "future tense assurance." That is to say, they claim that this assurance can only be a present possession - believers are yet in some type of "probationary standing" in which they may yet fail to inherit what God has promised them [concerning their Heavenly inheritance ... future tense]. And if what they are saying is true, they cannot even logically claim to possess assurance that they will "remain saved" come next week or even tomorrow for that matter!

As I see it, the crucial question to ponder in the midst of this is, "Were genuine believers merely placed into some sort of probationary period [the first of a "two-step process" necessary to make the "final cut"?]. Or, did Christ's blood shed at Calvary actually and decisively atone for, and end once for all, the question of the issue of God's wrath and condemnation as it relates to those who have been washed by the precious blood of Jesus? It is my strong conviction that the latter is the gospel truth... it truly is the Good News that God legitimately offers to all.

To illustrate my assertion - What if a friend of mine was to say to me, "Today I've received Jesus as my Lord and Savior! I've placed all my faith and hope in His atoning work for the forgiveness of my sins; it's like a ten ton weight has been lifted off of me!!"? ... Should I respond by saying, "Praise God for this amazing news, I hope and pray that you make it to Heaven someday, I hope that you realize that you are still on probation despite the fact that you have been washed and cleansed you by the blood of Jesus?" ... I certainly hope that wouldn't be your response [whether it be verbal or your internal mind-set].

Now, it may be true that I may wonder if he or she truly placed their faith in Christ's atoning work on their behalf, and have asked for forgiveness solely on that basis. And, I may anxiously await to see if their are any fruits or evidence of the Holy Spirit's indwelling presence subsequent to my friend's profession of faith. But once again, the question revolves full circle back to question of genuineness. Was that person's faith truly "saving", was their faith directed, and placed upon the proper object of faith?... that being Christ's atoning work and His righteousness alone apart from anything that they can offer.

The real question at hand here is NOT, "will any person who has been justified before God lose or forfeit that position?"...but rather, "did that person ever experience the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit and a justified standing before God?"

Friend : It's an important questions that you bring up. I guess if you believe you can be saved and down the road lose your salvation, you can only be 100% sure of your present state of being a saved person.

But even if you can forfeit salvation for whatever reason, it doesn't mean there must be insecurity. Like being a dad to a child. The possibility of you leaving your child is there, but it's not like you are afraid this might happen, or feel insecure about it. Yet such things happen, even to good people.

Me : You replied "But even if you can forfeit salvation for whatever reason, it doesn't mean there must be insecurity."

Well, from my perspective, it doesn't seem logically possible that at least some degree of insecurity doesn't exist in the minds of those who believe in LOS [Loss Of Salvation]. If they claim that some genuine blood-bought believers will ultimately perish, what then provides them with the assurance that they will not be one of those casualties? What then is it exactly that makes them so [presently] assured that they [specifically] are not going to be counted among those casualties? ...what makes them [as individuals] so special? ...what then provides [them] any type of genuine security or guarantee?

Keep in mind that it's exclusively those who assert that at least some genuine believers will necessarily and ultimately be cast into the Lake of Fire [LOS] that can logically claim that their future sins have not yet been forgiven [present tense] and covered by trusting in [past tense] the blood of Christ. In other words, in their case, and in their minds, they may or may not continue in their justified status before God [i.e. - their eternal destiny is yet (presently) in jeopardy].

Therefore, if their eternal destiny is yet in jeopardy, it appears to me that there must necessarily be some degree of present insecurity. After all, according to the LOS mindset, they may or may not remain in a justified standing before God next month or even next week [varying and depending upon just how short of a time period each individual LOS person reckons is sufficient to potentially forfeit their justified status].

Friend : You stated, "Keep in mind that it's exclusively those who assert that at least some genuine believers will necessarily and ultimately be cast into the Lake of Fire [LOS] that can logically claim that their future sins have not yet been forgiven [present tense] and covered by trusting in [past tense] the blood of Christ."

Check Lutheran theology. They certainly believe God has forgiven us past, present and future sins, yet they believe you can forfeit your salvation.

No genuine believer will be cast into the lake of fire, but if you can stop being a genuine believer in the future the possibility is there.

The security for the Lutheran comes from knowing that God will keep you as long as you keep trusting in Him alone for your salvation. Lutherans believe if you start to include works into the equation you have gone from grace to putting yourself under the law, and is thereby putting your salvation at risk.

Ask Lutherans if they feel uncertain about their future salvation. I know the answer. They will most certainly tell you "no!"

Me : You replied, "Ask Lutherans if they feel uncertain about their future salvation. I know the answer. They will most certainly tell you "no!"

It seems to me that that type of security is a false sense of security ... Why? as I clearly demonstrated in my prior post, by their own admission they say that some of them will forfeit their justified status [i.e - their justified status in in jeopardy ... it is changeable/alterable. Some "Protestants" or "non- Roman Catholics" even believe that they can "morph in and out of their justified status" [i.e - born again, "un-born again", then - "born again ... again", "un-born again ... again" ...etc., etc. etc. - can you see the folly in this?] - which is clearly the Roman Catholic Church position]. Why do they presume that they are one of those who will "pass the test"? What is the basis or grounding for their so-called "assurance"? ... it simply does not exist, that is, if their claim is true that some blood-bought believers will actually forfeit their justified status and perish eternally?

You said, "The security for the Lutheran comes from knowing that God will keep you as long as you keep trusting in Him alone for your salvation."

My question to them would be, "How can I be assured that I will keep trusting in Him?" ..."what exactly is the basis or grounding for such a presumption? ... again, that is, if their claim is true that some blood-bought believers will actually forfeit their justified status and perish eternally? ... it simply doesn't exist.

Friend : no further response.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alright thanks @Rapture Bound i was just hoping for a simple paragraph or two.

It doesnt matter anyway i suppose.

People believe how they will and want.

I just want the truth its much simpler than our worldly wisdom.

Love to you, and take care,
Matthew

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
You make some great points, sometimes I just let myself go ahead and do whatever it may be.
As long as it's not sinning works of the flesh and trasngression of Jesus' rule of life, then have at it! There's plenty of liberty in the perfect law of Christ. And the purpose is not take enjoyment out of life, but only the sinful pleasures of the world.

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Many religions help to live a good life and to enjoy the things of this world moderately and richly, without the degradation and corruption of ungodly living.

But only Jesus Christ can give power to cleanse inwardly first, and to be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
alright thanks @Rapture Bound i was just hoping for a simple paragraph or two.

It doesnt matter anyway i suppose.

People believe how they will and want.

I just want the truth its much simpler than our worldly wisdom.

Love to you, and take care,
Matthew

Do you really suppose that a paragraph or two explanation on why the LOS position is faulty would be sufficient to back that truth claim? .... come on now my friend - lol

God Bless!!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you really suppose that a paragraph or two explanation on why the LOS position is faulty would be sufficient to back that truth claim? .... come on now my friend - lol

God Bless!!
Cheers, and with truth yes.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as it's not sinning works of the flesh and trasngression of Jesus' rule of life, then have at it! There's plenty of liberty in the perfect law of Christ. And the purpose is not take enjoyment out of life, but only the sinful pleasures of the world.

Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.

But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Many religions help to live a good life and to enjoy the things of this world moderately and richly, without the degradation and corruption of ungodly living.

But only Jesus Christ can give power to cleanse inwardly first, and to be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Thank you for the good word friend. Yes your right.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its either in or outside the gate from my perspective dear friend @Rapture Bound makes it simple and easy.

Anyway gotta figure out the next move here in real life

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
op: we are judged by works, not by faith?

Once again, Correct! mans' { theory } LOS (loss of salvation) critics 'claim' one "can
author and lose faith/be condemned"?

However, Christ Teaches that is Impossible! For the true believer In Him!!

Heb_12:2 "Looking unto Jesus THE Author And Finisher of our faith..."​
+
Rom 8:29 "For whom He did foreknow, He also Did Predestinate To Be Conformed
To The Image of His SON, that He might be The Firstborn among many brethren."​
[ Where do puny men "get More Power" Than God to Undo"What ↑ He Has Predestinated?
is "their faith" actually "their OWN" that "they are able to LOSE/throw away"??? ]

Thus, these Plain And Clear Scriptures Are True, whether or not the believer Co-operates with
God, "building On The Foundation Of Christ, with "good works [ gold, silver, precious stones ]",
or
does not Co-operate, producing "bad works [ wood, hay, stubble ]" = BOTH "Shall Be Saved!"
(v 15 ↓):

Please read/study
1 Corinthians 3:8-15 prayerfully and Carefully! As well as:

Because Of:

God Has Over 12-Dozen Plain and Clear Scriptures About our 'moment of [living] faith In Christ',
"Receiving ETERNAL Life", Before Even one work [ For 'reward' ] is even thought of:

God's OPERATION On All HIS New-born babes In CHRIST
+ Update
+
God's Eternal Assurance

+
God's Eternal Life Insurance

Amen.

Last edited:

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cheers, and with truth yes.

My mistake, I thought you really desired to know the answer to the question ... but you simply don't perceive it as being a very important question that affects the eternal destiny of every person ever born on this planet. In any case, that decision is yours. Blessings!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
So, how in the world can we ever know that we've done enough good works in order to qualify for salvation?
You're not reading what I write. Not only don't I say such things, but I don't think I read anyone else on this site saying it.

I have shown the opposite from the Bible. None of any works we do before Christ ever qualify of to be saved by Jesus.

Before coming to Jesus, all our past works of good or evil were as filthy rags, and are forgiven and wiped clean from our soul, spirit, and life. We are instantly become newborn creatures, where all the old past life is done away with, and all things are now clean and new and of God.

Other Christian gospels do not believe this, because they don't teach it as ever being possible in this life. They disparage it as being 'sinlessly perfect', as though that were in itself sinful.

They teach an imperfect gospel, where the newborn is still sinning, and needs to gradually sin less like the adults. All things of the spirit and body are not all new and all of God.

They are never sinless, even at new birth, but only exhort to sin less. The Bible gospel is of instantly becoming sinless as Christ, in whom is no sin (1 John 2), and the other Christian gospel is only of becoming less a sinner, in whom remains sin.

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

This is saying to grow as newborn babes by the milk of the word. We are to grow as we began in Christ Jesus, pure and blameless as newborn babes. As Isaiah prophesies, washed clean as the wind-driven snow, and made instantly white as snow. All white as snow.

By sinning with the devil in works of the flesh, we don't just cease to grow, but we cease to be pure and holy and clean as newborn babes in Christ. Instead, we are to resist the devil, eschew doing evil, do righteousness, and grow in righteousness and purity of life as Jesus did from His youth. (Luke 2)

Like the holy tree of God with holy roots, righteous trunk, blameless branches, and good fruit, we remain pure of heart and blameless living, as we grow.

As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

As we have once received Christ as newborn pure and blameless babes of God, so we ought grow and walk righteously and blamelessly in Him. Even as Jesus did from His own youth up.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

Even as Jesus walked holy, harmless, undefiled, and separate from sinners from His youth up, so ought we walk as Him from our own youth up from being born again of God.

Being Bible newborn, we start that way, and being faithful newborn babes, we remain that way, while growing and walking like Him from youth to finish.

The gospel for faith without works, does not separate like Jesus Christ from sinning, but only teaches being separate from judgement and condemnation of their sinful works. By their own gospel, they begin in a less-than good and perfect new birth, and continue that way.

Growth to them is only sinning less and less, but never sinless. Not at birth neither during growth.

If they ever do acknowledge the true newborn birth of God in the Bible, where all things of our lives are now new and all of God, then they would have no excuse nor justification for not staying that way as they grow up into less a sinner only.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
How is the assurance of salvation even possible according to your gospel of works??
You call it my gospel, which is fine. I own it for myself and teach it, and so I also call it my gospel, even as Paul did. However my gospel is not the gospel of works only, but the Bible gospel of justification by works.

A gospel of works only can include works without faith, works of our will by our own faith, or works of another righteousness not found in the word of God.

The Bible gospel of justified works by God, is only those works that are judged and justified by God, as being His own righteousness. Those Bible works that justify us are very specifically defined by the doctrine of Christ. They are only those works that are done by faith from a purified heart of Christ, and they are in practise according to Christ's word and law of the NT.

And here is how we can ensure our salvation and calling unto the end, by all of our works being justified with God:

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

By adding these works from a pure heart to our faith in Jesus, we can ensure remain pure and blameless as newborn babes, and never fall from grace into sinning.

There is however, a secret warfare that we must also fight in the Spirit, so that these outward works are indeed blameless from a pure heart. That is where Jesus commands us to first cleanse within the platter by His faith, in order to ensure the outside the cup is also blamelessly clean as any babe in Christ:

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

That secret inward good fight of the Spirit, that Paul speaks of in 2 Cor 10, is only seen by God and the faithful believer, while the resulting outward works are seen of men, whether to honor or to dishonor.

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The error here is skipping by repenting of sinning, and then believing the gospel and trusting in the blood of Jesus to wash newly clean with all things now being of God.

The great error of faith alone without works teachers, is they just cannot frame themselves to include works in any of their preaching of their gospel of faith without works.

I suppose that's why they never mention works worthy of repentance.

Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Without repenting of sinning, they never were saved by Jesus Christ in the first place, so there's nothing to lose.

A faith without works salvation is the imperfect salvation of another gospel, where they teach being saved while still sinning, They never have the perfect salvation of Jesus Christ by repentance from dead works, where all their past life is washed clean, and all their new life is now pure and of God. Even as newborn babes from the womb.

Long story short, in the context of the thread: Since we are judged by our works, then our works judge our justification with God.

In the context of being saved and made completely new by repentance and confession unto salvation.

Those newborn babes in Christ, that are now washed clean from sinning in spirit, soul, nor life, if we do sin, then we are no more new creatures in Christ, but old sinning creatures living again. The old man is revived from our cross to sinning again.

It does not mean we no more have the Advocate of the whole world available to us. We can come to Him as the whole world can, to confess our sinning with godly sorrow, and be forgiven, clean washed and renewed unto pure life by His blood.

I wouldn't call it losing salvation, because the Bible doesn't. It's called falling from grace and becoming children of the devil by doing his unrighteousness, rather than being sons of God by doing His righteousness.

But without repenting of sinning, no man is saved and made completely new and of God by Jesus Christ in the first place.

The gospel of being saved and justified without works of repentance, is another gospel of unclean and imperfect believers.

They can believe and live that way all they wish, and like all good neighborly sinners, then can have a good life in this world. But it won't resurrect them from the dead unto everlasting life with God.

All men sinning at the end of death, are resurrected unto everlasting shame separate from God. The Father judges every man by our works, not by our personal beliefs.
Well as you seem completely incapable or unwilling to answer a simple question with a simple yes or no, This is the end here. Have the last word if you wish.

But be warned, it you preach salvation by any kind of works plus faith, you are guilty of preaching another gospel as is written in the Scriptures, aka the Inspired Word of Almighty God.

Rapture Bound

Jun 26, 2023
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You call it my gospel, which is fine. I own it for myself and teach it, and so I also call it my gospel, even as Paul did. However my gospel is not the gospel of works only, but the Bible gospel of justification by works.

A gospel of works only can include works without faith, works of our will by our own faith, or works of another righteousness not found in the word of God.

The Bible gospel of justified works by God, is only those works that are judged and justified by God, as being His own righteousness. Those Bible works that justify us are very specifically defined by the doctrine of Christ. They are only those works that are done by faith from a purified heart of Christ, and they are in practise according to Christ's word and law of the NT.

And here is how we can ensure our salvation and calling unto the end, by all of our works being justified with God:

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

By adding these works from a pure heart to our faith in Jesus, we can ensure remain pure and blameless as newborn babes, and never fall from grace into sinning.

There is however, a secret warfare that we must also fight in the Spirit, so that these outward works are indeed blameless from a pure heart. That is where Jesus commands us to first cleanse within the platter by His faith, in order to ensure the outside the cup is also blamelessly clean as any babe in Christ:

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

That secret inward good fight of the Spirit, that Paul speaks of in 2 Cor 10, is only seen by God and the faithful believer, while the resulting outward works are seen of men, whether to honor or to dishonor.

And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Well, hopefully and prayerfully, the following post will help you to get back on the right track :

"Saved; yet so as by Fire" :

1 Corinthians 3:15 "If anyone’s work shall be burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire." [KJV]....

Verses 10-14 :
"According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward."

As a "Once Justified, Always Justified" proponent, a common question that is asked of me concerning the above verses runs along the following lines:

" If you've got these people who are not building with the right materials and not building on the right foundation, it seems like, fire is going to come, it's going to test it, if their work is burned up, this person's going to suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire. So, if you've got a person who goes to the Judgment Seat of God in the end, and everything gets burned up, how is that different from a lost person who shows up at Judgment Day and has no good works?"

My Perspective :

The context of 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 is primarily concerned with the role of teachers in the building up of the church. However, I think the principle behind the text "..will be saved, but only as through fire." (v15), is something that should concern all believers. For it seems to be a reference to the Judgment Seat of Christ; hence verse 13, "each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire..." [note: the terms 'each one' and 'anyone' could be referring to all believers].

All believers will stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ [not just those in ministry leadership roles], as in 2 Corinthians 5:10, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

Notice also that the text (i.e. 1 Corinthians 3:15) was originally addressed to believers who Paul referred to as 'carnal' or 'infants' in Christ [1 Corinthians 3:1], because of all their divisions, envy and strife [1 Corinthians 3:3]. One could argue that such believers will be saved, but only as through fire [i.e. by the skin of their teeth]. So the text (1 Cor 3:15) could arguably apply to spiritually immature as well.

Returning to the main text -- verse 15, ""If anyone’s work shall be burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire."

It's unthinkable to me that there will be a single genuine believer who will arrive at the end of their life and 'the fire is going to hit them', and nothing in his/her life will be deemed to be according to the will of God. It appears to me that there will be nobody entering into Heaven who didn't live a life that was consistent with doing the will of God.

Instead, I propose that there are two main takeaways or precious truths contained within it :

(1) There will be eternal rewards awaiting those who diligently seek to do the will of God and have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit. We only get one "shot" at those rewards ... there will be no "do-overs" ... so we should earnestly strive for those rewards.

(2) Salvation is simply granted to man as a free gift, through God's immeasurable grace and mercy ... not of works. Those who are not genuine believers [i.e. - "lost people"] imagine this scriptural reality to be either "too easy" or "too good to be true". They somehow cling to the demonic delusion that they can somehow merit a Heavenly inheritance by their moral performance.

The various questions that arise from our main text [1 Cor. 3:10-15] revolve full circle back to the issue of the relationship between faith and works. Faith and works are clearly revealed throughout scripture as being polar opposites concerning their roles in a person's justified status before God. A person can only be considered righteous before God by faith in Christ's atoning work on their behalf.

Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: ... v.9 ,"Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Romans 4:5, "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

It is vital to understand that [saving] faith is merely an instrument that grasps Christ, and, as such, is intrinsically unworthy in itself: . . . we are righteous by faith, that is, through mercy for the sake of Christ we are righteous, not because faith is a virtue which merits the remission of sins by its own worthiness. . . . Therefore we do not say that we are righteous by faith in the sense that this is a worthiness of such great power that it merits remission, but in the sense that there must be some instrument/faculty in us by which we lay hold upon our Mediator who intercedes for us, and on account of whom the Father is favorable toward us.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Hello @Ghada , welcome to CyB!
You have lots of very good points in your post, thank you!
"We know them by their fruits"...that produce good works, amen!

The issue for me is that, there is not a "works based salvation" offered, because then, why would we need Christ?
Thank you very much for the compliment. But if the points are good, then why isn't the conclusion? Or maybe I'm not clear enough about the conclusion? I don't say the Bible teaches a 'works' based salvation and justification. The Bible does not teach being justified by works only, nor by all works, but only by specific works of God through us by Jesus Christ.

James 2 cannot be speaking of any works without faith, since the context is of faith. Nor can he be speaking of any sinful works of the flesh, since the context is of doing good in the family of God, as well as doing faithful service for God, as with Abraham and Rahab.

In the Bible, all works are not the same, because God does not judge all works the same. He judges all works, but only His works of righteousness by the faith of His Son are justified by the Father.

All men understand the difference between good and evil works, however not all men discern the difference between natural good deeds of any man, and Christ's good deeds only through the faithful members of His body on earth. Natural man does have conscientious and good and helpful works to our fellow man and neighbors, but they are not judged by God as being holy and righteous and pleasing to Himself.

Why not? Because God does not see in them the Spirit of His Son doing them. When God judges works worthy of Himself, it is only because He judges Jesus Christ to be the Author and Finisher of those works by His faith.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Paul is saying here that in Christ, the works he now does are not his own as before Christ, but are now Jesus' works done through him.

Even in works, it is still Jesus that the Father is honoring to justify us by. When we please the Father as the Son by pure works of His goodness and righteousness, He judges that it is His Son doing the works through His own body, even as He did in the days of His flesh.

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

The members of the body are justified by the faithful works done, only because it is the Son that is honored and judged as making them worthy of the Father through us. We are judged worthy to walk with God, only because of Jesus Christ within us. He is One doing them through members of His body.

And so, with this Bible judgement in mind pertaining to works, we now see that James 2 only speaks of Jesus' works through us, that justify us. To say no man is justified by any works at all, is in fact saying none of man's works are being done by Jesus Christ. It judges the works of Jesus' members are the same as the works done by natural man. And so they teach no works have any part in being saved and justified by Christ.

They are declaring the opposite of Paul, that their works are still being done by themselves alone, and not done by Christ Jesus. Even as they separate their own faith from their works, they also separate their own works from God.

That is why there are Christians teaching all their works are still judged by God as filthy rags, just like the natural good deeds of any man, that has not Christ. They are teaching that all good deeds of all men on earth are the same, and so judged the same by God: either filthy rags of our own righteousness, or sinful works of the flesh. And so, they teach for themselves the Psalm that condemns all men with no faith. The judge themselves to be the same as the unrighteous that never do good by Jesus Christ doing the works through them.

We see also that Paul is speaking only of those natural works of our own without Christ, that do not save nor justify any man with the Father.

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Titus 3 alongside Eph 2 and Rom 4, clarifies that Paul is only speaking of our own works done alone without Christ. James never speaks of 'our' works, but only of the works justified by God through Jesus Christ. Those who say Paul is sepak of any and all works, are condemning themselves the same as the natural man that has not the faith of Christ, nor discerns the spiritual difference between natural good works of man, and the Spirit's good works through His faithful believers.

It is impossible for Paul in Romans 4 to be speaking of Abraham's work of faith by offering up Isaac. In James 2 God justified Abraham by his work, because God judged that work as being done by Himself, through the righteous and pure faith of God in him. Abraham was not justified by his naturally good works of providing for his own household, but only for the service He did to God in obeying him contrary to all natural good sense.

We see by revelation of Heb 11, that Abraham only did that service, because of his faith in God. While journeying and climbing the mount, and raising the knife to slay his promised son, Abraham believed in his own heart that God would raise Isaac from the dead, in order to fulfill His promise of a chosen seed.

By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

It was God speaking the words of faith into Abraham's heart at that time, and Abraham believed Him. And so in James 2, we see it was not until he had offered up Isaac, that God justified Abraham and called him His Friend. And since Rahab is justified by the same work, then we can say she too believed the God of Israel would spare her from the destruction of the city.

The words of the Spirit spoken to their hearts were recieved and believed as being God's own will.

The Bible shows that only believing God's words to be true, does not justify a man with God. Only when we believe to do His word and will, are we justified with God, because it is not us alone doing the work, but is God Himself doing His will through us on earth.

God already knows His word is true. God is not pleased by any faith that only agrees with Him, but does not do the work that brings His words to pass in this life.

Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

The gospel of faith without works is only the imperfect gospel of imperfect faith, where the believers are still judged as the natural man and believers of other religions, because their works are still same as before. They are all their own according to their own natural good will. They just endeavor to sin less along the way. But then, plenty of natural men and women do the same, as well as the faithful in other religions of man.

Although, we know them BY their fruits; produced naturally from becoming born again :)
You can see the above Bible teaching about natural good works of man.

The Bible never teaches anything of God's work in man being natural. Rom 7 & 1 Cor 2 teach all things of God, including His law and works are all spiritual in nature. Romans 11 teaches God's holy things and holy fruits are only produced from spiritually holy roots.

The Christian teaching of 'natural outflow' of good works is the Christian theological version of having natural good works, that are as filthy rags to God. They are done naturally by man's own will, and not done by the Spirit and love of God in Jesus Christ.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

If Jesus is not doing the works in and through us, then nothing man does naturally is any good nor justified with the Father.

Reactions: Nancy