What Are we Getting Saved From?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont know how to help the misled Christian - its such a burden to carry.
A burden for whom? Refer him to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" Matt 11:28-30

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is mute! There is no place of everlasting fire so why would God need ask such a question! You dont understand Bible imagery...like someone else I know lol.
Should we believe you or Jesus?

Matthew 25:41 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Death" NEVER means "cease to exist" in the Bible. Even though MANY will wish they didn't exist!
Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

And no, God won't ask their permission. God didn't ask permission to burn Sodom alive including children. God didn't ask permission to drown all on Earth but 8 including children, "making them an example". Hell fire will be filled with people who don't believe in Hell. The really sad part is that they will take some of their families with them to Hell fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok outta time for today i guess, so ill spare you the page that you prolly dont care about anyway...but long story short, you are reading from an english mistranslation, and that is not what either of those vv are saying; the first is a ref to Gehenna, when they could have used Tartarus for yyour concept of "hel," and the second is a ref to the grave, Sheol, whatever, im sure youll see.
Sorry I was way too busy to address this. Ok so yes I have heard that before. Mind you I am not a bible scholar by any means. I just quickly looked for some stuff on Hell and what Jesus said about it. To me when I read Jesus' words it is clearly a warning to avoid Hell at all costs. Now if that means utter destruction or endless torment I don't know. But He said it would be better to pluck your own eyes out than go there. Thats pretty scary to contemplate.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just because I'm trying to understand the reality of what we are doesn't mean that I don't believe God!
I know that....but you seem to require God to furnish you with knowledge that only he is privy to.
Do we need to know? If we even had the ability to comprehend, would it change anything?

No, the Scriptures say that we have an earthly (physical) body and that Christians after their resurrection will have a spiritual body
That is the elect speaking to the elect.....All those who wrote books of the Christian scriptures were of the "heavenly calling". They had a collective expectation of going to heaven "born again" in a new spirit body, but not all were "called" to that heavenly inheritance.

Reading through the Hebrew scriptures, there is no mention ever given to Adam or even to Israel that they would have a spiritual existence after their resurrection. To them, death was exactly what it meant....a cessation of life....losing the ability to think, act or feel any emotions. (Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, 10)
There was no teaching of a 'storage facility' or 'celestial dorm' where souls would sleep awaiting the resurrection....God would remember the dead in every detail and resurrect them. If you 'woke up' after you had died an agonizing death from some incurable disease that ravaged your body beyond recognition....and you found that your body was the way you remembered it before you became ill, would you complain that it wasn't you? If everything inside you mind identified you as "you", would you be someone else or a mere copy of yourself? Would it matter?

Job 33:4 (WEB):
(4) The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.Job 32:8 (WEB):
(8) But there is a spirit in man, and the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding.
If you look these words up in a concordance revealing what they mean in their original language, you will not see either is conveyed as a conscious entity, devoid of a body.
The two words in that verse are "rûaḥ" (spirit) meaning...."wind, breath, mind, spirit."

And "nᵊšāmâ" meaning... "breath, spirit
  1. breath (of God)

2. breath (of man)

3. every breathing thing".
The "spirit" in man is his breath...the very thing that keeps him alive....it's his ability to breathe. That "breath" is what sustains life in the body of all "souls"...it was imparted by God's spirit by creating in them the natural ability to begin breathing at birth. The spirit is not some creepy spiritual entity that inhabits the body and leaves when you die.

To my understanding it can only be a true resurrection to life if there is a some part of us, most likely spiritual, that is uniquely us, which continues in existence in a dormant or unconscious state when we die, and which god can revive again, or He can destroy us.
In John 5:28-29 the "tombs" from which Jesus calls the dead...are "mnēmeion", meaning...
  1. "any visible object for preserving or recalling the memory of any person or thing
    1. a memorial, monument, specifically, a sepulchral monument".
So the tombs are not just graves where the dead lie buried.....it carries the meaning of those who are in God's memory. Those he will remember at the resurrection in order to restore their lives.
If you visit a Jewish cemetery you will find very elaborate burial tombs and sepulchers, with clearly marked names of the dead and family lineage.
This reflects that aspect of the resurrection.....being remembered by God.
Someone being consigned to "Gehenna" meant having no memorial tomb and thus, not remembered by God, so no resurrection for them.....they are left in eternal death. This is where Christendom's "hell" comes from...Gehenna was the garbage dump, kept burning day and night by the addition of sulfur (brimstone). Nothing alive ever went into Gehenna, hence it was not a place of suffering....it was a place to dispose of garbage.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I said, I don't have doubts about God! I'm just trying to understand the nature of living beings. It's not a vital subject; I'm just sharing my thoughts about it. :My2c:
Me too......but I believe that it is a vital subject....and the Bible itself clarifies many things if you study what it teaches in more than a superficial manner. Original word studies reveal so much.

Who would we be God's representatives to? The animals don't have enough understanding to consider who God is. The angels already know who God is and have direct access to Him.
If we are to give praise and glory to God, who is the recipient? Being God's representatives means doing what God himself would do if he was physically present.....he put a lot of effort into the creative process and preparation of planet Earth for habitation....giving his human children a beautiful place to live and enjoy in return for keeping it in pristine condition was surely not too much to ask...? We have God's creativity and a need to keep busy. Satisfying work brings joy and contributes to our health.

If you know anything about God, you will see that he delegates, both with his angelic sons, who all have their assignments, as well as his human children, who all had their assignments as well. Look at the way Israel was ordered...everyone knew their role and fulfilled it as he instructed...mothers, fathers, children, kings, priests and teachers all knew what was required of them.

Probably because it was God's purpose from before the world existed to call many humans with a promise of sharing in Jesus' inheritance, and a promise of a heavenly home:
There was no pre-determination as to who would do anything "before the world existed"...the "world" was the "kosmos"...the world of humankind...it has nothing to do with God planning things at the creation of the planet.

God had to allow the humans to make their free willed choices before he could act to do anything. Only after the fall did God implement his plan of action to send "the seed of the woman" to save the children of Adam and his wife, who were plunged into a cycle of sin and death with no way to extricate themselves.....God sent his son to cancel the debt, and restore what Adam lost for them...perfect sinless life in paradise on earth...forever. Its not more complicated than that.

"reflecting God’s glory and those made in God’s image" - relecting to whom, and for what purpose?
What an odd question....what is the "glory" that Jesus spoke about that he enjoyed with his Father before the world was? (John 17:5)
Why is God glorious? For what purpose? Why did he make man in his own image?

Not everyone is called to be a Christian, and not all that are called are chosen. There will be billions of people who are not Christians who will be resurrected as humans and will live on the earth. It is not for us to know now how many God has chosen to have a share in Jesus' inheritance.
Some people find the limitation of 144,000 a bit upsetting because it might mean that they are not among a relatively small, finite number....but the two groups in Revelation are clearly the elect (144,000 of spiritual Israel seen in heaven with Jesus.) These will rule with Christ as "kings and priests"....(Revelation 20:6)...and they will have earthly subjects.....those who will benefit from the rule of the Kingdom where God's will is "done ON EARTH as it is in heaven". (Revelation 21:2-4)

Since the resurrected ones are brought back to "paradise" (as the thief was promised) the end of this present world system will see only those who "come out of the great tribulation" (which occurs on earth) as survivors. (Revelation 7:13-14) These will be the faithful Christians who are not of the elect (the little flock, Luke 12:32)....these are the "other sheep" (John 10:16) whom Jesus has been gathering to survive the end of this world and to form the nucleus of the new world to come (2 Peter 3:13)....these alone survive the great tribulation as the prelude to Armageddon.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The 144,000 are on the earth, and it says they are all Israelites.
No, the 144,000 are seen on a heavenly Mt Zion, not any earthly location. They are not fleshly Israel but 'spiritual Israel'...."the Israel of God" (Galatians 6:16) made up of both Jewish and Gentile disciples of Jesus Christ. The natural Jews prove every day that God is no longer with them, in fact he rejects all who have innocent blood on their hands. (Isaiah 1:15) Look at the Middle East today....it is filled with bloodshed, which is why God chose a new, more obedient "Israel".

Why didn't John know who the great multitude was? Because the Church was already in heaven, before the Great Tribulation had started.
You forget that John wrote his Revelation at the close of the first century. Like Daniel, who also wrote about similar events, John was not in full knowledge about what he was writing.
There were many symbolisms which he probably wondered about, but were thousands of years in the future...to take place on "the Lord's Day".

We are in the Lord's day now, waiting for the final curtain to come down on this disgusting world, and Christ to come as judge...he will be accompanied by the full complement of his "bride", the last of whom do not need to sleep in death, but are changed into spirit form instantaneously.

Why do they need to have tears wiped away? Because they realised the truth too late, during the Great Tribulation, and missed out on the calling to become adopted sons of God, members of the body and bride of Christ, joint heirs with our Lord Jesus.
Wiping away tears is an act of kindness, indicating that the source of those tears has now been removed. Those who die at the tribulation are clearly identified by Paul....
2 Thessalonians 1:6-10...
"For after all it is only right for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted, along with us, when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God, and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These people will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes to be glorified among His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—because our testimony to you was believed." (NASB)

Read those verses carefully.....when Paul says "along with us", he is speaking about his fellow elect, those who also suffer affliction along with them, as followers of Jesus Christ. The ones who will suffer "destruction" are "those who do not know God" (because they don't want to know him) and "those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus" (so those who know what to do as Christ's disciples, but who fail to carry it out in their lives). We cannot be mere label wearers....we have to live as Christ lived, and teach as Christ taught.

Those mentioned by Paul are the only ones who will merit eternal death in the judgment....so it would benefit all of us to check and see if we are "doing the will of the Father" when Jesus comes to make an accounting with us. (Matthew 7:21-23)

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
that spiritual death is what is being conveyed there, maybe?
"Maybe" again? What place does "maybe" have in a Bible discussion where the Bible explains itself? I don't deal in "maybes"....I deal with what is clearly stated. I don't look for hidden meanings because the Bible provides its own answers.....unless of course you are your own teacher.
That might result in a bunch of :Oh no:that last thought whist I concoct another even more confusing one....:doldrums:
You can never settle on the truth because it is constantly escaping you. What did James say...?
James 1:5-8...
"But if anyone is deficient in wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without reprimand, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed around by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8 since he is a double-minded individual, unstable in all his ways." (NET)

Faith is what eliminates doubt.

i mean…are you even hearing yourself? You dont think it might be wise to allow for other possibilities there?
Again what other "possibilities" are there? The same language was spoken by all humans until after the flood. It was only when humans began to rebel again that God confused their language to force them to do as he commanded them. He broke up their plans to stay put and build empires for their own glory by making their language unintelligible to others. Those who did understand one another formed into groups and set of for far flung places, taking their false religious ideas with them. Noah and his sons were still faithful servants of the true God so their language remained unaltered. That is the Bible's explanation.....where do your ideas come from?

strong delusion?
"Everlasting life" is a strong delusion? Really?
unsure
Show me where death was ever supposed to be in God's original plan for the human race.
Maybe you don't think its possible? Or maybe you don't think God wanted us to live forever? What is it that convinces you that its a delusion?

you imagine that “eternal” means “forever” then, i take it? That would be aidios, not aion, wouldnt it?
In the Christian Scriptures, the word ai·onʹ may denote a time period of indefinite or indeterminate length, a period of remote, but not endless, time. For example, ai·onʹ can be rendered to by the expression “of old,” “of old time,” “in ancient times.” in some translations, and the meaning is self evident. Often, however, the context suggests that ai·onʹ is to be understood to refer to a time period of undefined length because of the possibility of such periods being endless in duration. That would make sense because in the flesh, "forever" can mean endless life until the person disqualifies him/herself from life by disobedience.....that means that they can live for an undefined period of time and then lose their life by making a wrong choice. That was the proposition in Eden.....everlasting life was held out to the first humans on the condition of their continued obedience....but if they disobeyed, their life would be terminated in death. Unending life was held out to them but they lost it.

In a similar way, the adjective ai·oʹni·os (drawn from ai·onʹ) can, as is evident from the context, signify both “long lasting” (Romans 16:25; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 1:2) and “everlasting.” (Matthew 18:18; Matthew 19:16)
Another Greek adjective, a·iʹdi·os, specifically means “eternal” or “everlasting.” (Romans 1:20; Jude 6)

Understanding these specific terms then, I see no incompatibility...do you?

"Everlasting life" is NOT "immortality" because it carries the proviso that life can be brought to an end if circumstances warrant it. Both humans and angels can have their lives terminated, but an immortal cannot die under any circumstances.

So you are right to include those terms, but I don't believe that you do so, fully comprehending what they mean....

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know that....but you seem to require God to furnish you with knowledge that only he is privy to.
Do we need to know? If we even had the ability to comprehend, would it change anything?
I don't require God to do anything! I don't see anything wrong with trying to understand, logically, what the Scriptures tell us. A better understanding makes it easier to believe and can only increase our faith. We're encouraged to study the Scriptures, not to just believe them without any understanding of them - 2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV):

(15) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.​

That is the elect speaking to the elect.....All those who wrote books of the Christian scriptures were of the "heavenly calling". They had a collective expectation of going to heaven "born again" in a new spirit body, but not all were "called" to that heavenly inheritance.
As far as I'm aware there is only one calling, and only one faith:

Ephesians 4:5 (KJV):
(5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,​
Romans 12:4-5 (WEB):
(4) For even as we have many members in one body, and all the members don’t have the same function,
(5) so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.​
1 Corinthians 12:13 (WEB):
(13) For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit.​
Ephesians 4:4 (WEB):
(4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you also were called in one hope of your calling;​

Reading through the Hebrew scriptures, there is no mention ever given to Adam or even to Israel that they would have a spiritual existence after their resurrection.
Correct, Adam wasn't informed of everything! Some things were kept from him, and others, for a long time. As Paul said, Romans 14:24-25 (WEB):

(24) Now to him who is able to establish you according to my Good News and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret through long ages,
(25) but now is revealed, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known for obedience of faith to all the nations;​

He also reveals another secret, about the resurrection of Christians, 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (WEB):

(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.
(53) For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
(54) But when this perishable body will have become imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”​

Also, 2 Timothy 1:9-10 (KJV):

(9) Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
(10) But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:​

If you 'woke up' after you had died an agonizing death from some incurable disease that ravaged your body beyond recognition....and you found that your body was the way you remembered it before you became ill, would you complain that it wasn't you? If everything inside you mind identified you as "you", would you be someone else or a mere copy of yourself? Would it matter?
Yes, it would matter. If God creates a new living being, and that being identifies itself as you, then he/she will no doubt be content. But if it's not actually you then it matters to you! It wouldn't be you waking up, it would be somebody else who just happens to think like you did and has identical memories to those you had. Would Jesus have been willing to die, praying that God would restore to him the glory that he had previously had, and that he desired the Church to be with him after his resurrection (John 17:5,24), if the resurrected person was just a copy, a new creation? If death is the end of life forever, then it would not matter to that person if God was to create another living being that thought it was you. It still wouldn't be you - your life will have ceased.

If you look these words up in a concordance revealing what they mean in their original language, you will not see either is conveyed as a conscious entity, devoid of a body.
The two words in that verse are "rûaḥ" (spirit) meaning...."wind, breath, mind, spirit."
So in John 4:24, where Jesus says, "God is a spirit", where 'spirit' is translated from the Greek word pneuma, meaning "a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze", does that mean that God is not a conscious entity? ;)

In John 5:28-29 the "tombs" from which Jesus calls the dead...are "mnēmeion", meaning...
  1. "any visible object for preserving or recalling the memory of any person or thing
    1. a memorial, monument, specifically, a sepulchral monument".
So the tombs are not just graves where the dead lie buried
Yes they are! The word is always translated as sepulchre, grave or tomb.

Someone being consigned to "Gehenna" meant having no memorial tomb and thus, not remembered by God, so no resurrection for them.....they are left in eternal death.
Maybe according to the traditions of men they will not be resurrected, but not according to God! The body of the thief on the cross next to Jesus may have been dumped in Gehenna, but Jesus told him that he would be in paradise one day (Luke 23:43). If Joseph of Arimathaea hadn't asked for Jesus' body then maybe Jesus' body would have also been thrown into Gehenna!

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There was no pre-determination as to who would do anything "before the world existed"...the "world" was the "kosmos"...the world of humankind...it has nothing to do with God planning things at the creation of the planet.
These verses sounds like God was planning things before the creation of the world - Ephesians 1:4 (WEB):

(4) even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and without defect before him in love;​

2 Timothy 1:9-10 (KJV):

(9) Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
(10) But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:​

God had to allow the humans to make their free willed choices before he could act to do anything.
And yet God also had plans for Jeremiah before he was born - Jeremiah 1:5 (WEB):

(5) “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I sanctified you. I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”​

Only after the fall did God implement his plan of action to send "the seed of the woman" to save the children of Adam and his wife,
But he had planned it before the creation began - 1 Corinthians 2:7-8 (WEB):

(7) But we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the wisdom that has been hidden, which God foreordained before the worlds for our glory,
(8) which none of the rulers of this world has known. For had they known it, they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of glory.​

1 Peter 1:20 (KJV):
(20) Who [Jesus] verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,​

Some people find the limitation of 144,000 a bit upsetting because it might mean that they are not among a relatively small, finite number....but the two groups in Revelation are clearly the elect (144,000 of spiritual Israel seen in heaven with Jesus.)
Perhaps we are digressing from the original topic of this thread and shouldn't go off on a tangent about the 144,000. I've discussed it in another thread so I won't copy it all again here! But I'll just point out that the 144,000 are not in heaven. They're only mentioned in two places - Revelation 7 and 14. In chapter 7 they are definitely on the earth - Revelation 7:3 (WEB):

(3) saying, “Don’t harm the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, until we have sealed the bondservants of our God on their foreheads!”​

and the 144,000 were all Jewish, 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of the children of Israel. In chapter 14 they are again on the earth, Revelation 14:1 (WEB):

(1) I saw, and behold, the Lamb standing on Mount Zion, and with him a number, one hundred forty-four thousand, having his name, and the name of his Father, written on their foreheads.​

It says they are all men - there are no women among the 144,000 (Revelation 14:4)! They are the firstfruits from among men, i.e. having been sealed (Revelation 7:3) before the Great Tribulation and the start of the Millenial Age, they are the first to have gained eternal human life. Revelation 14:4 (WEB):

(4) These are those who were not defiled with women, for they are virgins. These are those who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These were redeemed by Jesus from among men, the first fruits to God and to the Lamb.​

Since the resurrected ones are brought back to "paradise" (as the thief was promised) the end of this present world system will see only those who "come out of the great tribulation" (which occurs on earth) as survivors. (Revelation 7:13-14)
The Great Tribulation only lasts about 3.5 years, not for the whole of the Millennial Age. It does not precisely say exactly when the majority of mankind is resurrected (second resurrection), but I suspect it is after the Great Tribulation and after Satan has been bound in the abyss for the 1,000 years. During the 1,000 years Christ will be ruling with an iron rod, and it will be a peaceful time, not a time of tribulation. Then Satan is released again for the final testing. Those saints of the great multitude, who are taken up into heaven after living through (or dying during) the Great Tribulation, are not those who have a part in the second resurrection - those don't have eternal life (complete resurrection) until the final test and judgement at the end of the 1,000 years ("The rest of the dead didn’t live until the thousand years were finished", Revelation 20:5).

Perhaps it's time to stop discussing this now? (Before someone says: :r.u.n: :).)

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those who die at the tribulation are clearly identified by Paul....
1 Thessalonians 1:6-10...
"For after all it is only right for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted, along with us, when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God, and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These people will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes to be glorified among His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—because our testimony to you was believed." (NASB)
That should be 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10 :oops:.

Read those verses carefully.....when Paul says "along with us", he is speaking about his fellow elect, those who also suffer affliction along with them, as followers of Jesus Christ. Paul wasn't/didn't live through the Great Tribulation.
Yes, those suffering at the same time as Paul and the other saints. They were all suffering back then; it wasn't a reference to them, or any other saints/Christians, suffering during the Great Tribulation! I believe the Scriptures teach that the Church will be resurrected or raptured before the Great Tribulation.

Isaiah 26:20-21 (WEB):
(20) Come, my people, enter into your rooms, and shut your doors behind you. Hide yourself for a little moment, until the indignation is past.
(21) For, behold, Yahweh comes out of his place to punish the inhabitants of the earth for their iniquity. The earth also will disclose her blood, and will no longer cover her slain.​

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"Maybe" again? What place does "maybe" have in a Bible discussion where the Bible explains itself?
He who says that he knows anything, doesnt

I deal with what is clearly stated.
go with that then, with my blessings :)

I don't look for hidden meanings because the Bible provides its own answers.....unless of course you are your own teacher.
How is it you did not know I was not talking about bread?

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Everlasting life" is a strong delusion? Really?
tbh i suspect that strong delusion is a great way to express what we now call “dunning-kruger syndrome,” or iow the concept where the more sure one is of their facts, the less likely they are to be correct

Show me where death was ever supposed to be in God's original plan for the human race
i prefer not to, as i already have anyway, and while there are several others, you have chosen to interpret them differently, as is your right, i might add
There is only One Immortal
All go to the same place

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Faith is what eliminates doubt
yes, but belief is what eliminates testing, and most believers seem compelled to conflate faith and belief, for what are now to me understandable reasons; faith is harder to pin down i guess, and accorded some supernatural office, when i could offer any number of mundane examples of “faith”

it strikes me as similar to calling the Bible Word, bc Word is a bit more elusive…to someone not reading their Bible, seems to me anyway

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The same language was spoken by all humans until after the flood
aj, you are…quite gnostic right now, ok? You have pat answers for everything? And its ok with me if those serve you, but they make it more or less impossible to attempt any conversation with you, wadr.

I srsly doubt that the same language was spoken until the flood, and i highly suspect that a different concept was being discussed there, and i suspect that mostly bc playing around with the elements in the frame of mind of what is it? just…led to an understanding that allowed more of the pieces to fit together coherently, but i def cant even broach the subject now, with you, as you have determined (from On High) that “the same language was spoken by the whole world before the flood,” and i would just be contradicting you then, see?

but you might explore the likelihood that there was no literal “worldwide” flood, even though there do seem to be flood mythologies in virtually every ancient society, and what that might mean in terms of gaining wisdom on the matter. And again i wish you the best of luck in your walk, ok; for whatever reason i have many ex-JW friends, one of us is apparently attracted to the other lol, not sure which way that is flowing but there it is. They strike me as still overly legalistic, but great ppl nonetheless

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
"Everlasting life" is NOT "immortality" because it carries the proviso that life can be brought to an end if circumstances warrant it. Both humans and angels can have their lives terminated, but an immortal cannot die under any circumstances.
the contortions believers will go through to justify their beliefs, is what comes to mind here, aj. It is put many other ways in the Bible, thankfully, and if you are convinced that your current belief there is consistent with them, then bam go with that ok. Have a good day.

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I dont know how to help the misled Christian - its such a burden to carry
you might contemplate how even thinking that you might “help” someone is a way to put yourself in a superior position, “they desperately need my help.” Now i am not meaning to say that this applies to you, but i do know that developed societies crank out Codependents like the plague, and it is easy to fall into that kind of thinking purely as a defense mechanism, even.

and fwiw—while i dont expect anyone to literally attempt this—the “sending of the seventy” might be a reply to your perspective, which i guess someone could even do for like an hour a day, to get the gist, possibly.

Reactions: face2face

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a lot to cover here so I'll break it up....

As far as I'm aware there is only one calling, and only one faith:

Ephesians 4:5 (KJV):
(5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Yes, there is, and all must belong to that faith and be baptized as a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ......but there is after that, an anointing with holy spirit for those of the elect, who are chosen from among those dedicated and baptized disciples, for a specific role.....to be "kings and priests".......so for whom do they act in these capacities? Kings do not rule one another and priests need sinners for whom to perform their priestly duties......there are no sinners in heaven so this explains why these alone are given the "first resurrection". (Ephesians 2:6)

The elect become "a new creation" as Paul stated. (2 Corinthians 5:17) They alone are flesh and blood humans who die, and upon their resurrection will be transformed into spirit beings. That is what being "born again" means.....a new birth in a new body.

Romans 12:4-5 (WEB):
(4) For even as we have many members in one body, and all the members don’t have the same function,
(5) so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.
Yes, speaking of the elect..."the body of Christ"...those who will inherit immortal life in heaven like their king, Jesus has. Paul calls them "joint-heirs with Christ".(Romans 6:5; Romans 8:17)

1 Corinthians 12:13 (WEB):
(13) For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all given to drink into one Spirit.
Yes, anointed with holy spirit which takes place after their baptism in water. For the elect, there are two baptisms.
John 3:5...
"Jesus answered: “Most truly I say to you, unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. 6 What has been born from the flesh is flesh, and what has been born from the spirit is spirit."
The water baptism comes first followed by baptism with holy spirit for those chosen for a role in God's Kingdom.
Romans 6:3...
"Or do you not know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death."
This is a baptism that is only for the elect. They will die a death like Christ's....born as a human and died the death of a mortal equivalent of Adam, but raised "in the spirit" not the flesh. In order to return to heaven he had to have a spirit body because flesh and blood can only exist in the conditions God placed them, within the confines of planet Earth.

Ephesians 4:4 (WEB):
(4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you also were called in one hope of your calling;
See there...the "calling" of those with a heavenly hope?.... (Hebrews 3:1)....not everyone has "the calling" because not everyone can be a "king and a priest".....there have to be subjects and those subjects are identified in the Revelation as surviving the great tribulation.

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As Paul said, Romans 14:24-25 (WEB):

(24) Now to him who is able to establish you according to my Good News and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret through long ages,
(25) but now is revealed, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, is made known for obedience of faith to all the nations;
He also reveals another secret, about the resurrection of Christians, 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 (WEB):

(51) Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
(52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.
(53) For this perishable body must become imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
(54) But when this perishable body will have become imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then what is written will happen: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
What was the revealing of the "mystery" that the Jews had to come to terms with, that differed from their original understanding about the Kingdom and who would be the "Kingdom of priests and a holy nation" as God promised? It was the spiritual nature of the Kingdom and its location in heaven, rather than their expectations of it being on earth. No Jew expected to die and be resurrected as a spirit to rule with Christ in heaven....even as Jesus was ascending to his Father, they asked if he was going to establish his Kingdom then and there? (Acts 1:6)
They still didn't understand the spiritual nature of it....which is why Jesus told them to remain in Jerusalem and the holy spirit would anoint them and give them a firm conviction of their destiny.

Also, 2 Timothy 1:9-10 (KJV):

(10) But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:
Again we see "the calling"...if all Christians had the "heavenly calling" who would be their subjects and how many does God need in heaven to accomplish the rulership of his Kingdom successfully?
Was this "calling" necessary "before the world began"?
Adam was not predestined to eat of the forbidden fruit, nor was his wife.....there was a scenario that would determine God's response to what happened in Eden. He obviously had contingency plans no matter what the outcome was, but it depended on what the humans did in response to the devil's temptations that would determine his plan of action.

There were several outcomes that could have altered God's response....
1) the devil gets a grip on himself and changes his mind about lying to the humans, realizing that it is pointless to go against his Creator.
2) the woman rejects satan's offer and tells him that she will remain obedient to God as she was instructed to do by her husband.
3) the woman succumbs to the temptation, but Adam refuses to be tempted, meaning that he would lose his wife, but not his life.
4) all succumb to selfishness and abuse their free will.....and as we all know, that is what happened. The results were devastating...but God saw the benefit of an object lesson that would endure for all time to come. He would allow them to see exactly what disobedience and abuse of free will leads to...and here we are.

So it was not all as cut and dried as some people imagine. Heaven was never meant to be the destination of mortal humans who were promised everlasting life (not immortality) in paradise on Earth.

Yes, it would matter. If God creates a new living being, and that being identifies itself as you, then he/she will no doubt be content. But if it's not actually you then it matters to you! It wouldn't be you waking up, it would be somebody else who just happens to think like you did and has identical memories to those you had.
Read what you just said again..... "But if it's not actually you then it matters to you!" How can it matter if you can identify yourself and your loved ones as who you were before, but you have a new healthy and youthful body?
Who is going to complain??? Will there be anything to be unhappy about? :Agreed: Seriously...?

Would Jesus have been willing to die, praying that God would restore to him the glory that he had previously had, and that he desired the Church to be with him after his resurrection (John 17:5,24), if the resurrected person was just a copy, a new creation? If death is the end of life forever, then it would not matter to that person if God was to create another living being that thought it was you. It still wouldn't be you - your life will have ceased.
But isn't this you trying to give God limitations that he does not have? How do you know that what God resurrects is not you?

Jesus used a word in Matthew 19:21....
"Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth: In the age when all things are renewed, ["palingenesia"] when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

The reference is not to a completely new creation but to a regeneration, or a renewal of what was, by means of which God’s purpose for the earth is fully accomplished. He created mankind to live forever on earth, so what need was there to take any of them to heaven originally?
That information came later as his purpose for "Israel" was unfolding. So those who have been elected are going to be in positions of judgment....like the judges were in ancient times. These were representing Jehovah and the judgments they made were in accord with his laws.
Whom did they judge? The sons of Israel.....
Only one tribe in Israel could be priests, not the whole nation.