What exactly is the New Creation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation; what is old has passed away; behold, what is new has come!

Galatians 6:15
For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything, but a new creation.

What is Paul teaching above?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not really. Being born again IS being in Christ, and Paul says for those that are in Christ, there is a new creation. What is this new creation?
For years this verse was interpolated as saying; he is a new creation, which is not accurate and definitely changes the impetus of how many people have understood these scriptures.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is this new creation?
We are no longer born of the flesh , but now Born of God, no longer creatures of teh flesh but spiritual beings.. One foot on the earth and the othe rin heave, and now because of what Christ has done.

Eph 2:18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Because we are after the spirit not the flesh

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
Not really. Being born again IS being in Christ, and Paul says for those that are in Christ, there is a new creation. What is this new creation?
For years this verse was interpolated as saying; he is a new creation, which is not accurate and definitely changes the impetus of how many people have understood these scriptures.
I still understand 'there is a new creation' as an observation. He is a new creation, born of water(Jesus resurrection) and Spirit(Indwelling Holy Spirit)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
I still understand 'there is a new creation' as an observation. He is a new creation, born of water(Jesus resurrection) and Spirit(Indwelling Holy Spirit)
But it doesn't say 'he is a new creation', it says 'there is a new creation'. The Greek does not refer to a person in this regard, but to an event or a thing.
The new creation being referred to here and in Galatians is the 'New Covenant'.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The new creation is spiritual, so how is it addreased? Do you refer to someone's spirit by their current name? Or do you refer to it as a thing? It is still you, just new and changed. Stan 2.0

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
The new creation is spiritual, so how is it addreased? Do you refer to someone's spirit by their current name? Or do you refer to it as a thing? It is still you, just new and changed. Stan 2.0
My point is that it is not referring to the person it is referring to the New Covenant. We as members of the New Covenant relate to God in a new way. Not the way our relationship was under the old Covenant by the burden of the Old Testament law. This is the New Covenant and as such we being part of the New Covenant have a new way of relating to God. The renewing of your mind happens on a day-to-day basis afterwards but we are not a new Creation. Born again does not mean born anew. Born again means that we are born into a new spiritual Realm that is called the New Covenant. We are not regenerated because we were never generate in the first place.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
†. 2Cor 5:17 . .Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old
has gone, the new has come.

The Greek word for "new creation" is ktisis (ktis'-is).

Ktisis makes its first appearance in the New Testament at Mark 10:6 where
it refers to intelligent design and the origin of the current cosmos with all of
its forms of life, matter, and energy-- in particular the origin of the now-
obsolete human race; commonly known among advanced Bible students as
the old Man; viz: the original h.sapiens.

The original h.sapiens is identified as "in Adam" which makes sense seeing
as how Adam was its progenitor.

Just as Adam was the progenitor of the now-obsolete human race; so Christ
is the progenitor of the permanent human race; viz: the new Man; which
is a race of supernatural people that has some pretty amazing advantages.

In Adam all have to pass away because God reckons Adam's progeny willing
participants in his disobedience.

In Christ none have to pass away because God reckons Christ's progeny
willing participants in His son's obedience.

In Adam all are unrighteous.

In Christ all are righteous.

In Adam all are capable of sin.

In Christ all are incapable of sin.

In Adam all have human nature.

In Christ all have divine nature.

In Adam all are mortal.

In Christ all are immortal.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Webers_Home said:
-†. 2Cor 5:17 . .Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old
has gone, the new has come.
The Greek word for "new creation" is ktisis (ktis'-is).
Ktisis makes its first appearance in the New Testament at Mark 10:6 where
it refers to intelligent design and the origin of the current cosmos with all of
its forms of life, matter, and energy-- in particular the origin of the now-
obsolete human race; commonly known among advanced Bible students as
the old Man; viz: the original h.sapiens.
s.
2Cor 5:17 properly rendered is; Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

he is is not in the Greek, and the context only allow for insertion of 'a'. The end of this verse makes more sense when reading it in this vein. If someone is in Christ he is part of the New Covenant and the Old Covenant no longer applies.

Yes, κτίσις (ktisis) is used for 'creation', but καινός (kainos) is used for 'new', and in Mark 10:6, Jesus is referring to the physical creation whereas in 2Cor 5:17, Paul is referring to the spiritual Creations the first being the old Covenant the second being the New Covenant.
We are not a new person after salvation but we are part of the New Covenant that Jesus ushered in, where is God writes his laws on our hearts and we are no longer bound by the written laws of the old Covenant. Throughout the New Testament the message is about the New Covenant and who the mediator is of the New Covenant, that being Jesus Christ. If we are in Jesus Christ we are in the New Covenant.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Cor 5:17 properly rendered is; Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new
creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
I haven't been to college to study koiné Greek so I have to rely upon the
expertise of scholars for the best way to translate the Bible into the English
language.

It can't be due to coincidence that the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NAS, NASB, the
Catholic, and even the Watchtower Society, all translate 2Cor 5:17 with
English words and grammar that refer to people in Christ as either new
persons, new creatures, and/or new creations.

No doubt you feel confident your way is the best way to interpret 2Cor 5:17
but you really ought to take into consideration that your way isn't the only
way; and in point of fact, your way isn't even scholarly. Greek lexicons have
their uses, but they aren't meant to be substitutes for an education.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Webers_Home said:
I haven't been to college to study koiné Greek so I have to rely upon theexpertise of scholars for the best way to translate the Bible into the Englishlanguage.It can't be due to coincidence that the KJV, NKJV, NIV, NAS, NASB, theCatholic, and even the Watchtower Society, all translate 2Cor 5:17 withEnglish words and grammar that refer to people in Christ as either newpersons, new creatures, and/or new creations.No doubt you feel confident your way is the best way to interpret 2Cor 5:17but you really ought to take into consideration that your way isn't the onlyway; and in point of fact, it isn't even scholarly. Greek lexicons have theiruses, but they aren't meant to be substitutes for an education.=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Neither have I and I don't think it's just a coincidence. It depends on the style of translation that was being done on these individual translations that you've identified. In my opinion, a 'functionally equivalent' translation would give us the best rendering and as such the NIV is that type of translation. All I did was address what you wrote and what you missed. Paul teaches in Romans 12:2 that we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. That renewing conveys an ongoing work. We are not created as a new person spiritually or physically. That will only happen when Jesus returns and we are made incorruptible.
If as you assert we are actually made New Creations then why do Christians continue to sin? A new creation in the sense of a new spirit differentiated from our carnal spirit would not sin, but in his Epistles, John tells us that we have an advocate with the father and if we sin we just confess it and it will be forgiven. John is speaking to Christians not to unbelievers.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
If as you assert we are actually made New Creations then why do Christians
continue to sin?

Sorry StanJ; no offense, but I really don't think you're conscientious enough
at this point in time to be worth going to the trouble of explaining certain
things about the supernatural characteristics of a genuine Spirit-born
child of God as per John 3:3-12.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Webers_Home said:

Sorry StanJ; no offense, but I really don't think you're conscientious enough
at this point in time to be worth going to the trouble of explaining certain
things about the supernatural characteristics of a genuine Spirit-born
child of God as per John 3:3-12.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Despite your apology I do find your reply totally offensive but this is nothing new for you. This is your normal fallback response to everyone you can't answer, which is why you were on my ignore list for such a long time. I've been making a concerted effort to take people off my ignore list to see if they've maybe changed their tune or not and I can see in your case you haven't changed your tune one bit. You're still as sanctimonious as ever. However I've found I have a lot more patience than I used to have so you'll be getting a lot more responses by me from now on.