What is the book of Revelation really about?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes most of it was back then
No. Actually most of the prophecies in Revelation remain unfulfilled, particularly those under the 6th and 7th seals. And then we have all the events after the judgments until the New Heavens and the New Earth are established. Therefore for anyone to claim that most of them have been fulfilled is to mislead others. No doubt the events of the first five seals began in the 1st century and continue. But that is only a fraction of the rest.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scholars recognize the emperor cult as the driving force behind Revelation. The Romans required their subjects to offer a sacrifice to Caesar as their lord and god and Christians refused to do so. Actually, the Romans didn't actually expect their subjects to believe in the divinity of Caesar; they regarded the cult as an expression of loyalty to the empire, much like saying the American Pledge of Allegiance, and so, those who refused to sacrifice to Caesar were viewed as political subversives. For Christians, only Christ could be worshiped as Lord and God; so most of them refused to comply, and for that they were persecuted and John was exiled to the island of Patmos.

This helps explain the identity of "the Beast" in Rev. 13, whose gematria number is 666. In Hebrew, letters stand for numbers and "Emperor Nero" in Hebrew adds up to 666. When the Bible was translated into Latin the number was changed to "616" because "emperor Nero" adds up to 616 in Latin. Nero was exiled to Asia Minor and is thought to have committed suicide. But in John's day, it was believed that Nero would arise and regain his throne and there were no less than 3 Nero impersonators. So Christians feared that Satan had restored Nero to life to continue his persecutions. So The real question is whether all the prophecies have already been fulfilled that will be fulfilled or whether Nero is a symbol for a latter-day Neronian figure. John himself certainly did not envisage a long church age for total fulfillment because his Jesus says, "Behold, I am coming soon (22:20)."
u
u

Reactions: Marty fox

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes most of it was back then
It was indeed the final warning to the Christians of that age. This is why He commanded John to write to the angle of the Churches. The angel was the human messenger of the church. God at that time would allow this individual to have an understanding of the symbolism in the book to know how to lead that particular group at that time in history. Take notice how also all the churches were to read all the epistles given.

Reactions: Marty fox

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was indeed the final warning to the Christians of that age. This is why He commanded John to write to the angle of the Churches. The angel was the human messenger of the church. God at that time would allow this individual to have an understanding of the symbolism in the book to know how to lead that particular group at that time in history. Take notice how also all the churches were to read all the epistles given.

Yes I agree. I don’t understand why Christians today always think that it’s all about us today

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scholars recognize the emperor cult as the driving force behind Revelation. The Romans required their subjects to offer a sacrifice to Caesar as their lord and god and Christians refused to do so. Actually, the Romans didn't actually expect their subjects to believe in the divinity of Caesar; they regarded the cult as an expression of loyalty to the empire, much like saying the American Pledge of Allegiance, and so, those who refused to sacrifice to Caesar were viewed as political subversives. For Christians, only Christ could be worshiped as Lord and God; so most of them refused to comply, and for that they were persecuted and John was exiled to the island of Patmos.

This helps explain the identity of "the Beast" in Rev. 13, whose gematria number is 666. In Hebrew, letters stand for numbers and "Emperor Nero" in Hebrew adds up to 666. When the Bible was translated into Latin the number was changed to "616" because "emperor Nero" adds up to 616 in Latin. Nero was exiled to Asia Minor and is thought to have committed suicide. But in John's day, it was believed that Nero would arise and regain his throne and there were no less than 3 Nero impersonators. So Christians feared that Satan had restored Nero to life to continue his persecutions. So The real question is whether all the prophecies have already been fulfilled that will be fulfilled or whether Nero is a symbol for a latter-day Neronian figure. John himself certainly did not envisage a long church age for total fulfillment because his Jesus says, "Behold, I am coming soon (22:20)."
u
u

Yes I agree with this but I think that the coming soon was the judgement on Jerusalem.

I believe almost all has been fulfilled except for the 7th trumpet and the end of chapter 19 through 22

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes, there is a definite formality being observed by addressing each letter as such, so that in each of the seven ekklesias named delegated authority to receive and publically communicate the message that John was instructed to write is given rather than it being put to committee to decide whether or not to allow it through.

Also, the letters to the seven ekklesias reinforce and signpost the simple truth to readers, that predetermined consequences befiitingly await.

Rev 4:1 After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, "Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this."

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes I agree. I don’t understand why Christians today always think that it’s all about us today
Because so far the regional ripples in history that bear similarities to the prophecied catastrophic events of Revelation have been mere fractals that prefigure the fullscale global dynamic prior to the destruction of the old universe and the creation of the new one.

Rev 21:1-4 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. (2) Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (3) And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. (4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
We should not confuse "the day of the LORD" (judgment) with "the Lord's day" (Christian worship). John was in the Spirit on the Lord's day (Rev 1:10). But "the day of the LORD" is not mentioned as such in Revelation. Instead we have the judgments of the 7th seal corresponding to the day of the LORD.

They are both they same ,especially when you consider Christ became sabbath

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
The book of Revelations is a Sister Book to Daniel
The Churches mentioned are the same or should I say a type of the Churches in the end time .

How do most miss one of the most important scriptures in the Word

I Corinthians 10:11 "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."

"Ensamples" in the manuscripts is the Greek word "tupos", number 5179 in the Strong's Greek dictionary. "a sample, or type; i.e. a model for imitation, a fashion, for manner, or form." So Paul is telling us that those things that we read about in the Old Testament, of the events of the prophets of old are examples of what we should be looking for in our day. This is written to alert all people to be aware of how it shall be before Christ returns. What was written in the Exodus, or in Amos is written as examples for our admonition or warning. All of the Scriptures is given as a warning to those who are living in the times of the ends of this world age of the flesh. We will see the end of the flesh age come to a close, and there are many things that will come to pass right before our eyes that were written about in detail way back in the Old Testament time, and Paul is telling you and I to wake up to those warnings.

We are this which that was spoken of , key word being the end times, we are that generation that Christ said would not pass, the generation of the fig tree.

Now a 2nd witness

Ecclesiastes 1:9 "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

Solomon, with the guidance of the Spirit of God, is telling you that those things that have happened before, will happen again. It is important that you understand this. There is no new idea or thing that can happen to man that has not already happened to man. Remember that "under the sun" in in reference to "this flesh body of man".

This point helps us understand the Word of God, and the types that the prophets of old give us in their writings. Paul told us in I Corinthians 10:11; "Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come."

"Ends of the world", means the ends of this earth age, or dispensation where man lives in his flesh body. Paul told us that all those things that were written by the prophets of man's actions, and what happened to them when they either violated God's law, or kept God's law were examples to us, for there is no new thing that will happen to flesh man, that has not already happened to others in the past. We are to study God's Word, and by our understanding of His Word, we can have the peace of mind that comes with God's faithfulness to His Word.

What one needs to do is study those two Churches whom Christ had no fault with and ask yourself why?

Reactions: Keraz

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because so far the regional ripples in history that bear similarities to the prophecied catastrophic events of Revelation have been mere fractals that prefigure the fullscale global dynamic prior to the destruction of the old universe and the creation of the new one.

Rev 21:1-4 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. (2) Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (3) And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. (4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

I did say that this part hadn’t happened yet

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John the Baptist saw the same thing.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes I agree with this but I think that the coming soon was the judgement on Jerusalem.

I believe almost all has been fulfilled except for the 7th trumpet and the end of chapter 19 through 22
Revelation isn't written in chronological order where the later chapters can be placed in time later than the earlier chapters. For example, Revelation 12 covers the entire time period of the last 2000 years in that one chapter. As does Revelation 13. Revelation 11 on the other hand focuses on what many scholars believe is the French revolution which have birth to atheism, which then he into one of the global beasts of the last days. Revelation 14 focuses on just the last couple hundred years, chapter 15 and 16 the very last days, while 17 cubers Shaun the whole last 2000 years.

Reactions: Truth7t7

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I did say that this part hadn’t happened yet
So the exhortation not to be deceived still stands because the man of sin/son of perdition as described has not been revealed, although many Popes have come and gone.
2Th 2:1-4 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, (2) not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. (3) Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, (4) who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the book of Revelation about to you?

Is it mainly about the end of our world or is there a more meaningful deeper message?

Is it a literal interpretation or a more greater deeper spiritual symbolic meaning?

Why was it given back in the first century if it was about events in the far future?

Why was it given to the seven first century church’s if it was about the far future?

What are your thoughts and the I will give to my thoughts?

Thanks
The (Revelation) is a detailed look into the end time events

1) The Great Tribulation
2) The Beast/Antichrist
3) The Two Witnesses, Prophets Returned
Plagues, A Remake Of Moses/Aaron Against Pharaoh Of Egypt
4) Second Coming, Final Judgement
5) New Heaven, Earth, Jerusalem

Last edited:

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The (Revelation) is a detailed look into the end time events

1) The Great Tribulation
2) The Beast/Antichrist
3) The Two Witnesses, Prophets Returned
Plagues, A Remake Of Moses/Aaron Against Pharaoh Of Egypt
4) Second Coming, Final Judgement
5) New Heaven, Earth, Jerusalem

Then why was it written to seven literal past churches?

Reactions: Waiting on him