When did Abraham begin to walk in the earth that God Would show him?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When did Abraham begin to walk in the earth that God Promised He would show him?

I was pondering on this question this morning and wondered how people would respond with their understanding?

Surprise me.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When did Abraham begin to walk in the earth that God Promised He would show him?

I was pondering on this question this morning and wondered how people would respond with their understanding?

Surprise me.

Did Abraham begin to walk before he arrived in Haran or after he left Haran.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Abraham met Shem or his son. (Noah's kid) that was when it began.
The prophecy was the start...and he was told to go West.
The whole Fertile Crescent (or whole known world) was what was promised to Abraham.

Yeah, I'm not with everyone else on this.

But essentially the whole world is promised to Abraham's descendants.

Reactions: Jay Ross

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Top of my head Jay, and I'm probably going to get some details wrong, it was when he arrived in Canaan or Sechem and resided there. Thus, after he left Haran, for his stay there was not noteworthy, we thus conclude that the promise was not precipitated at that moment (was he not told to leave Haran, anyhow?). He left Canaan due to famine and thus sojourned in Egypt for a time, and then returned to Sechem, in Canaan, and gave birth to Ishmael & Isaac. I would conclude that definitively, upon the birth of Issac, that he was inhabiting the land of the promise. Which, of course, is further substantiated by both Issac's & Jacob's tenure there, plus the eventual 12 Tribes and Monarchy being delineated and established there. The Land of Milk and Honey.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@JohnDB, @DNB

Stephen in Acts 7 tells us that God entered into the Abrahamic Covenant with Abraham before he left Ur, that his father, Noah, died before he left Haran and that he had no possession in the land of Canaan, and that God would give him and his descendants the whole earth at sometime in the distant future. (Dan 7:26-27 confirms this.)

Acts 7:2-5: - 2 And he said, "Brethren and fathers, listen: The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran, 3 and said to him, 'Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.' 4 Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell. 5 And God gave him no inheritance in it, not even enough to set his foot on. But even when Abraham had no child, He promised to give it to him for a possession, and to his descendants after him.​

I am still posing the same question.

Shalom

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm guessing but it apparently was after a bit of time. Not too long but as Abraham was from a family of traders I'm sure that he wouldn't give up on his contacts and established trading partners. (Especially if he inherited the business from his father)
So he made preparations to extend his trading lines and began to slowly work west.

Stephen's speech/sermon is "glossed" over scriptures. He is speaking in Greek and not actually quoting the Hebrew scriptures in spots but glossing from the Septuagint. With a little Talmud and Sifre thrown in for good measure.
This style of recitation really incensed the council.
Where it's essentially true it's not a precise recital of the Hebrew scriptures.
First because it's not in Hebrew
Second because it's not a strict recital of scripture
Third... he was blaming them for their role in crucifying Jesus.

As such the council was convinced that Stephen (Hellenistic Jew) was such a corrupt person, guilty of moral turpitude, that they stoned him.

It's a speech of dedication and defiance.
Dedication to Jesus but...

Stephen knew he was in trouble. The Blind man in John who had been born blind...his parents were scared to death of testifying before this council and wouldn't say anything that they didn't absolutely have to. People who upset the council got stoned. They wanted to live. Just being a witness was more than enough to get someone killed.

So Stephen knew the rules...but didn't care. He knew that the outcome that day was not going to be rainbows and lollipops. So, since he was gonna die he thought "Let's go out with bells on baby!" And let them have it both barrels.

The most gripping thing in that story was when he said that he seen Jesus standing...standing to honor his arrival in heaven.
From being a reject in the world for being Jewish...then to be a reject amongst the Jews for being Hellenistic...then to be somewhat snubbed amongst the Christians...
To being heralded and honored by Jesus...

It's an amazing testimony.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@JohnDB, @DNB

Stephen in Acts 7 tells us that God entered into the Abrahamic Covenant with Abraham before he left Ur, that his father, Noah, died before he left Haran and that he had no possession in the land of Canaan, and that God would give him and his descendants the whole earth at sometime in the distant future. (Dan 7:26-27 confirms this.)

Acts 7:2-5: - 2 And he said, "Brethren and fathers, listen: The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran, 3 and said to him, 'Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.' 4 Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell. 5 And God gave him no inheritance in it, not even enough to set his foot on. But even when Abraham had no child, He promised to give it to him for a possession, and to his descendants after him.​

I am still posing the same question.

Shalom
Yes, but your question was, when did he walk on or enter the land of promise? The promise was clearly made prior to its acquisition, same with David and Christians. You asked when was the promise fulfilled. I believe that it was when he resided in Canaan - which, of course, was clearly the territory of the twelve tribes or 'land of milk and honey'.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The best question is "When did God fulfill his promises?"

The answer is before you would think...

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first thing came to mind was the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.
And I suppose it depends on which promised land, the physical or spiritual.
Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Abraham is on his way to sacrifice Isaac on the mountain.
Along the way:
Gen 22:4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.

It's the "afar off" caught my attention.
Abraham looking forward and the rich man looking back.

And there is a gulf that is fixed, (I think I found another pearl :) )
The word fixed is sterizo
To make stable, set fast, place firmly, fix
To strengthen, make firm
To render constant, confirm one's mind.

It's the confirming one's mind..hmm

Let this mind be in you... the mind of Christ... renewing the mind.
Kind of fits with the rich man going through the eye of the camel.
You can't get there from here.

Firm - a - ment.
Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

So I think that gulf between Heaven and Hell is your mind.
YOUR mind.
Your mind is the veil that divides.

Now Abraham walked by faith not by sight.
His mind was fixed on the promised land.
And on the 3rd day, of course, God showed him the promised land.
And on the 3rd day Jesus rose from the dead.
On that day Abraham reached the place to sacrifice Isaac, God provided "HIMSELF'
Gen 22:7
And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
Gen 22:8
And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

The lamb was Himself.
What about the ram? I haven't got that far yet.

I believe the Day Jesus rose again.

The (pearl) to me is the Mind. And the mind is the firmament which divides.
And if you don't have Christ's mind , then you can't get there from here.

I'm rambling..
Hugs

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm guessing but it apparently was after a bit of time. Not too long but as Abraham was from a family of traders I'm sure that he wouldn't give up on his contacts and established trading partners. (Especially if he inherited the business from his father)
So he made preparations to extend his trading lines and began to slowly work west.

Since Terah died 60 years after Abraham left Haran, Abraham did not inherit the business of his father, Terah.

It is not good to guess about what happened in the story of Abraham.

When did Abraham begin to walk in the earth that God was going to shown him?

In Gen 15:6 we are told that because Abraham believed the Lord that it was countered to him as righteousness. For Abraham to be countered as righteous, he had to have been walking in God's earth at that time.

So this verse suggest that Abraham had already begun to walk in God's earth.

So the question still remains, When did Abraham begin to walk in God's earth?