When I first Become A Follower of Christ!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ. I led 14 of my friends to Christ, then brought them to Church the following week. They only lasted there for a few months because the youth leader and youth group did not know how to reach out to them and make them feel welcome. I guess this happens when your Church is not ready for the world coming to Christ. :confused:

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ. I led 14 of my friends to Christ, then brought them to Church the following week. They only lasted there for a few months because the youth leader and youth group did not know how to reach out to them and make them feel welcome. I guess this happens when your Church is not ready for the world coming to Christ. :confused:

There is a group I went to high school with that I tried to witness to. I still pray for them to this day. That's incredible that you led 14 of your friends to Christ.
Hearing about your walk with the Lord is tremendous!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aww! You are so lovable. In my heart, you are like a spiritual grandfather.
Thank you dear sister. Actually in the flesh I now have two great grandchildren. I really need to share something here with you, which I hope you can appreciate.

Many years ago, in a town located in California's large central valley my wife used to go out very regularly with a black sister periodically to talk with people about the Lord. That black sister was personally involved in the salvation of nearly 50% of our church's 300 plus members. We met her the first time through her little brother who won us to the Lord by the way he and his family walked with God. To this day, I have never encountered a family who lived for God like they did.

The town was small enough that soon almost everyone gave my wife and her sister in Christ, the nickname of "salt and pepper". Somewhere during those early years while we were in close fellowship that sister begin speaking of herself as my "other wife". It was a standing joke among the three of us and remains so to this day.

She is now in her 80's... several few years older than me and still lives in that same California town while my wife and I have been in Oklahoma for 35 years. She calls my wife on the phone once in a while and if I should answer, she will immediately chime in with something like, "Hello, brother John, this is your other wife. Is Kathy available?" We also remain in touch with her little brother and his wife. They live in another California city.

Reactions: Lambano and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you dear sister. Actually in the flesh I now have two great grandchildren. I really need to share something here with you, which I hope you can appreciate.

Many years ago, in a town located in California's large central valley my wife used to go out very regularly with a black sister periodically to talk with people about the Lord. That black sister was personally involved in the salvation of nearly 50% of our church's 300 plus members. We met her the first time through her little brother who won us to the Lord by the way he and his family walked with God. To this day, I have never encountered a family who lived for God like they did.

The town was small enough that soon almost everyone gave my wife and her sister in Christ, the nickname of "salt and pepper". Somewhere during those early years while we were in close fellowship that sister begin speaking of herself as my "other wife". It was a standing joke among the three of us and remains so to this day.

She is now in her 80's... several few years older than me and still lives in that same California town while my wife and I have been in Oklahoma for 35 years. She calls my wife on the phone once in a while and if I should answer, she will immediately chime in with something like, "Hello, brother John, this is your other wife. Is Kathy available?" We also remain in touch with her little brother and his wife. They live in another California city.

Lol. Salt and pepper. Im glad you still keep in touch.

I really want to find people to go out and witness with. I'm praying I find a way.

Reactions: Lambano and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol. Salt and pepper. Im glad you still keep in touch.

I really want to find people to go out and witness with. I'm praying I find a way.
The goal is a good one, but the Way to it must be simply to continue pressing always toward Him rather the goal. That goal may be part of the "all of these things added" here:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33

If you love God and continue seeking the first things first, He will use you in His time and in His place to accomplish His purpose for you.

Reactions: Lambano

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The goal is a good one, but the Way to it must be simply to continue pressing always toward Him rather the goal. That goal may be part of the "all of these things added" here:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" Matt 6:33

If you love God and continue seeking the first things first, He will use you in His time and in His place to accomplish His purpose for you.

I understand what you're saying. Thank you.

Reactions: Lambano and amadeus

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ, I joined a home group for new believers. It had a variety of different age groups and I enjoyed the fellowship. The HG leader did a study on a subject which ended up being a year long. The following year, he asked me to come again and I felt that I needed to learn how to obey. So after 7 years of the same subject I can truly say to you, that I know everything there is to know about this subject....7 years studying on.....

"The fall of man!" :confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: amadeus and Wynona

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ I was asked to join the worship team because they could tell that I could sing. Unfortunately I seemed to always be placed next to another girl whose parents were in leadership and who was wildly and loudly off key....It was still fun though...:):D

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ I would pray and then open the bible to see where it landed. Not a good way of asking God something...
Heck, I do that now. I just open the internet site and see what it is for the day. I watch daily Mass to get my scripture reading in. But they always have a theme and discussion which is pleasant.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ I would pray and then open the bible to see where it landed. Not a good way of asking God something...
There's an old story preachers like to tell about a young man who used that method for discerning God's will for his life. He opened his Bible, closed his eyes, put his finger on the page, and opened his eyes. His finger had landed on Matthew 27:5: "And he (Judas) went away and hanged himself". That can't be right, he thought, so he tried again. "Go, and do thou likewise". (Luke 10:37) Oh dear. One more time. John 13:27: "What thou doest, do quickly". :p

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's an old story preachers like to tell about a young man who used that method for discerning God's will for his life. He opened his Bible, closed his eyes, put his finger on the page, and opened his eyes. His finger had landed on Matthew 27:5: "And he (Judas) went away and hanged himself". That can't be right, he thought, so he tried again. "Go, and do thou likewise". (Luke 10:37) Oh dear. One more time. John 13:27: "What thou doest, do quickly". :p
Disturbing Lambano. Truly disturbing :p But it does remind me of some of the posts on forums like this. Like how some people figure out their doctrine. Or the way some people form their conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
lol.....foolishness is a witness against itself!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yikes, I tried that a long, long time ago and it just made zero sense, lol. Something abut being in war...no help there! Funny story bro.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We were going to the Dales bible week in a borrowed tent and I was bit worried as I had never camped before - i was 42. Anyway i prayed about it and God showed me a verse that said 'Your tent will remain secure' I don't know which translation it was in but the NIV says: no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. Psalm 91:10.

The day we went was the last day of a long hot period and during the night a storm broke. Everybody on the campsite was out in the heavy rain tightening guy ropes. Everybody except us. My husband and son slept right through all the loud thunder and heavy rain. I woke and just lay there knowing my tent would remain secure and it did. The only casualty was my wooden pepper mill which must have been touching the canvas. It split right down its length but dried out ok apart from the 'scar' which reminds me of that promise every time I use it.

So that was to illustrate how a single verse from anywhere in the bible can give you hope or faith if it is given by God for a specific purpose and time.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had many followers and still does but being a follower doesn't mean you're saved or a Christian.

When all pertinent scriptures are considered relative to salvation, you end up with a short list of the requirements to be saved.
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of your belief as did the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 a sign consistent with Romans 10.9
3. Repentance as dud the Jews on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38
4. Baptism, immersion in water, for the remission of sins, also per Acts 2:38

Doing the above you will be saved, will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, be added to the body of Christ by the Lord which is his church, and be a child of God, a Christian, one that is owned by Christ, paid for by his blood.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus had many followers and still dies but being a follower doesn't mean you're saved or a Christian.

When all pertinent scriptures are considered relative to salvation, you end up with a short list of the requirements to be saved.
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of your belief as did the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 a sign consistent with Romans 10.9
3. Repentance as dud the Jews on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:38
4. Baptism, immersion in water, for the remission of sins, also per Acts 2:38

Doing the above you will be saved, will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, be added to the body of Christ by the Lord which is his church, and be a child of God, a Christian, one that is owned by Christ, paid for by his blood.
Have we turned a response into a requirement?.....it seems so!
....and where is the emphasis? me, me, me ,me.

Emphasis!....is it heard? We know all the scriptures; we know all the 'processes' but do we know the man? The answer is in the emphasis.

What good is it knowing all if Jesus states the reality of ' I never knew you' at the critical time?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have we turned a response into a requirement?.....it seems so!
....and where is the emphasis? me, me, me ,me.

Emphasis!....is it heard? We know all the scriptures; we know all the 'processes' but do we know the man? The answer is in the emphasis.

What good is it knowing all if Jesus states the reality of ' I never knew you' at the critical time?
It's for clarification for those that may not know any better. And yes, it is a requirement of the Lord's. And unfortunately, "we all" don't know the scriptures which is why there's so much division and denominations.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's for clarification for those that may not know any better. And yes, it is a requirement of the Lord's. And unfortunately, "we all" don't know the scriptures which is why there's so much division and denominations.
You haven't heard what I've said DJT, I'm sorry.