Why Did The Haiti Disaster Happen ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

musicworld

Apr 1, 2009
Canary Islands Tenerife
Hi

I understand why there is greed violence murder and wars on the earth, it is due to those who allow themselves to become tempted and deceived by Satan which is why such evil takes place and GOD giving Satan his time allows all of this to happen and will not step in until the appointed time, this I understand. But with regard to occurrences like tornados and earthquakes surely Satan doesn't have the power to evoke these things so what causes them ?

example the Haiti disaster did not have to happen, GOD knowing everything new it was going to happen he could of stopped it before it took place and saved the life’s of tens of thousands of his creations but still he allowed it to be. I understand the whole theme of GOD is love and there is no evil in him so why do these things happen ? being a Christian I believe GOD doesn't make mistakes so there is a purpose why he allows this to be.

I would appreciate other Christian’s comments on this...

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
People can only turn away for so long. Look at all the times in the Bible where God gave chance after chance for people to do what was right. Living in sin = death. We all have consequences when we do not do what He wants of us. We have a price to pay, and a choice to make. Make the wrong choice and we pay dearly.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Read Matthew 24:7 and Matthew 24:8

The generation that were living in where people comstintly dont listen to the father it makes me wonder.

TheUnworthyServant

Jan 30, 2010
Florida
Musicworld: "But with regard to occurrences like tornadoes and earthquakes surely Satan doesn't have the power to evoke these things so what causes them ?"

Is called a tectonic plate shift. Of course God knew it was going to happen but He did not cause it and He certainly wasn't going to stop it. Just like He doesn't stop any natural disaster. He has set it all in motion and it is going to run it's course until the end.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
The Earthquake in Haiti happened due to tecktonic plates giving under pressure along a fault. Nothing more than a mere natural occurance due to the design of the earth.

Was God punishing anyone? Maybe,, but, I'm thinking not so. Are the people in that country worse than anyone else? I seriously doubt it. Did they deserve such a disaster? I don't know,, but in my opinion not any more than anyone else.

Remember when that tower fell on those 15 people in Matthew? Jesus asked if any of the ones that died were worse sinners than anyone else. He told the people "NO" (sorry too lazy to get the scripture right now)

We're told by Jesus that earthquakes and the like are going to happen. We're also told that everyday we have is numbered, we're all appointed to die at a specific point in time, regardless of salvation or lack of.

What I seriously think is that some of those peoples times were up. Even though it's a hard traumatic very sad thing to happen,, there's still more good that came of it than bad IMHO.

People realized how fortunate they are,, more people turned to God,,, More people were sent by God to help,,, Through a natural occuring thing the Lord is glorified.

My view of storms, and earthquakes, and all sorts of natural disasters is that they're not ordered by God to occur as any judgement or anything like that. I believe that all things occur, as they will naturally,, be it by chance of instance concerning life obsticles, or massive disasterous storms and wars and quakes and floods,,, they just happen, and will happen. Where God is in control is that He KNOWS these things will happen, and has developed a plan for the outcome of the thing.

To me, being in control, and in power is knowing what's going to happen, and using that for the Good of those that experience it,, and having a plan, that no disaster can thwart! There's many heartaches, and many things that make even the strongest most faithfull person question God's reasonings,, and we all do it. But, in time, the Lord will show us and comfort us.

Reactions: exodusmin

musicworld

Apr 1, 2009
Canary Islands Tenerife
[quote forgivenWretch
People can only turn away for so long. Look at all the times in the Bible where God gave chance after chance for people to do what was right. Living in sin = death. We all have consequences when we do not do what He wants of us. We have a price to pay, and a choice to make. Make the wrong choice and we pay dearly.

This is about the most positive reply i could have got from this topic, thanks FW, i agree with the above.

Also thanks to everyone else for your comments.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 13:1-5
There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

WK I believe you were talking about the tower of Siloam?

When I saw this thread, this was the verse I immediately thought about. Lots of folks are quick to rush to judgment when things like this happen, and will immediately declare it a judgment from God. I just say be careful about that, because there is one Judge, and he makes the call just as he'll make the call for you and me. Like Christ said here; these people weren't killed because they were chief sinners or horrible people. In that day, you had Pilate putting people to death and then the tower fall, both of which are things which happen on their own. God didn't topple a tower because of 18 really bad sinners that happened to be in the right place. God didn't cause a leader to come and kill - though we know he certainly has both capacities from passages throughout the OT. Christ effectively said children don't worry about your Father striking folks down; worry about where your heart is because things happen and you better be prepared when the day comes. You are all going to leave this Earth whether its an accident, disaster, or natural death.

A friend of mine had his legs ripped off one night in a horrific accident. Did God do that to him or did a terrible, horrible accident occur? I watched family and friends struggle with one of the most difficult questions. Some were even mad at God and stating it aloud. The one thing that accident showed me (and the guy is making quite a comeback) on a personal level is that really bad things happen to people. He certainly wasn't more of a sinner than me, it was something no one here on Earth could prevent and just something that happened. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but God worked in many ways through what happened just as he'll work through Haiti.

It's like a Pastor of mine says; God doesn't get up every morning looking for someone to zap. While those of the world will ultimately stew in their own muck, those killed in Haiti were not necessarily chief sinners. Time on this Earth will end because that's the Earth we live on. Look forward to the day when these disasters will end when our Lord restores.

II Corinthians 4:18
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.