Why do some Christians see Christian art as idolatry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Recently, on an other forum, I expressed a desire to start painting and create Christian art. Immediately I was warned that any artworks of Christ etc was a form of idolatry. Upon reading the responses I felt, from my old nature, ashamed for wanting to express my love and wonder for the Truth.

What are your thoughts about this?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recently, on an other forum, I expressed a desire to start painting and create Christian art. Immediately I was warned that any artworks of Christ etc was a form of idolatry. Upon reading the responses I felt, from my old nature, ashamed for wanting to express my love and wonder for the Truth.

You wouldn't by any chance know the interpretation of this passage would you?

Romans 1
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.

Thanks.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, many Christians idolize the Bible, many wear symbols of torture and death around their necks, so what's the diff?
Do what your heart wants to express. Christians would condemn the world if they had the chance!
(My opinions are usually the same as mjrhealth.)

I supplied a demand, so painted many many Buddha faces with the usual serene face
with eyes closed....if people wanted horses I would have painted horses.
What we look at ( a flower, a sunrise, art, a baby..,) can nourish the human heart and soul.
These things can inspire and feed our spirit and sometimes take us to such heights of appreciation and reverence of the wonder of this creation ...
while we are experiencing this smile in our beings...
others can do or say most anything and miss what we are perceiving.
My opinion is who cares about what these bozos think.
tongue.gif

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your kind words.
I'm one of those bozos.
default_sad030.gif
Don't know you enuff to know if this was sarcastic...but it made me laugh
so that's how I'll take it, as cute.
Ps...we're all pretty much bozos!
icon_geek.gif

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Idolatry is worshiping other [material] gods. But in the family of God, art (creativity) is a tradition.

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I guess different strokes for different folks.
I personally don't much like christian art.
I went to a meeting many years ago where they had a man either side of the front stage , and all through the message being given ( in fact all through the service) these two people painted large pictures and abstracts of 'their interpretation' of what was being sung or spoken...most of it was like Picasso art !!!
Okay, each to their own. Why weren't they at the back...why up front and centre where they could draw peoples attention to them and distract?
Does the Lord "need' help in communicating to His people?
I don't think so.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, each to their own. Why weren't they at the back...why up front and centre where they could draw peoples attention to them and distract?

You answered your own question. It's there to distract people away from the truth.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Picasso-esque painters up front. ..would have distracted me...but loud, happy bands distract me, also.
So go figure.
Beautiful art inspires me....not art about battles....or some portrait of a King from centuries ago
that beheaded people!
Beauty....

Reactions: bbyrd009 and aspen

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You ask a tough question. My husband is an artist although he is also an heating and air conditioning guy. The heating and air conditioning he hates but does it to pay the bills. He sees God in things I don't notice...like color, light, movement and expressions. I see God in words. It makes me feel like a hypocrite because I don't believe there was anything within me that caused God to choose me, but then I consider Paul and Peter:

Peter was a fisherman whom God made a fisherman of men. Paul built tents which also God used in the message of the church being not within a building but within a tent which is the body.

In relationship two usually share a common interest. God is Creator and maybe He gives each of us a common interest with Him toward relationship and intimacy with Him. Some relate with Him through numbers, some science, some pictures, some archeological, some time, some biology. If we can't use who we are to express Him then I am not sure what we are to do. All we know are the tools we have in out possession. I know He doesn't need us to express Him but the question is: are we not suppose to?

Whether or not it is considered idolatry...I don't know. If you ask me how I am so convinced that God is real: I would tell you there is no way a man wrote the word of God. It had to be Spirit. If we can share that...I don't know if that's wrong.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know He doesn't need us to express Him but the question is: are we not suppose to?

The answer to your question is in this passage.

Romans 1
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Picasso-esque painters up front. ..would have distracted me...but loud, happy bands distract me, also.
So go figure.
Beautiful art inspires me....not art about battles....or some portrait of a King from centuries ago
that beheaded people!
Beauty....
You may find the Miraculous Image of Guadelupe interesting. It's 4 centuries old with no sign of decomposition. Many things about it that baffles scientists.
4 Literally Awesome Facts About Our Lady of Guadalupe - Mountain Catholic
The Miraculous Image of Guadalupe, a Mystery to Science

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think whenever your Christianity limits you by tapping into fear, you are still trapped in your ego and need to overthrow it, as Paul advises us to do.

Fear is the prison warden/slave master of fallen humanity. Christ tells us to renounce fear and anxiety - Christianity is about freedom.

Therefore, paint with joy and glory to God

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God Is creator. We are created in His image. We are also capable of creating. Its whats on your heart that matters. Not what anyone thinks. Tradition made me hate paintings of Christ. I dont hate them any more I dont think about them in the same way. We are all on a learning curve. Unfortunatly. we have listened to someone we respested and respect there belief way more than anyone elses. And there for base every thing else through what they told us rather than giving God time through waiting on Him and giving Him a chance to talk to us. If you want to paint Christian art splater away to Gods glory in your heart. I believe we are all in different places of different biblical things. I wonder what God would point out to us, what amount of things we all have misunderstanding on.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is any art deemed idolatry by anyone? Is not every person given certain talents or abilities by God?

What we do or do not do with those God given talents is part of what God is looking at, but He is looking into our hearts with regard to why we are or not doing something. Jesus said,

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." Matt 6:24

If our purpose in painting [presuming we have that as our God given talent] is really to give God the glory, how can it be mammon?

Consider also the apostle Paul's words:

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." Col 3:17

If our purpose in painting is really done in the name of the Lord Jesus, how can it be wrong?