Why do some Christians see Christian art as idolatry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has heaven and earth passed away?
default_smile.png

The easiest way to explain it is, Jesus took the physical attributes of the Law and made them spiritual.

The passage from Romans exhibits that spiritual transformation. The Law of the Spirit (new covenant) vs the Law of sin and death (old covenant). Verse 4 mentions "the righteous requirement of the law". If the Law of Moses is abolished and no longer in affect, what law is Paul referencing? The same with love being the fulfillment of the law. What Law is Paul talking about if not the Law of Moses?

Romans 7:25 is another example of spiritual vs physical.

This is just the way I see it...

Maybe it means that the whole point of the Law of Moses was the "righteous requirement", which no one perfectly accomplished except the Lord. So, spiritually, believers have fulfilled the Law of Moses, and are now under the Law of God; which I'm not going to try to define. Others can do that better than me. And, we are supposed to avoid "strivings about the law" according to Titus 3, so I'll stop here!

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it means that the whole point of the Law of Moses was the "righteous requirement", which no one perfectly accomplished except the Lord. So, spiritually, believers have fulfilled the Law of Moses, and are now under the Law of God; which I'm not going to try to define. Others can do that better than me. And, we are supposed to avoid "strivings about the law" according to Titus 3, so I'll stop here!

Ok.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has heaven and earth passed away?
default_smile.png

The easiest way to explain it is, Jesus took the physical attributes of the Law and made them spiritual.

The passage from Romans exhibits that spiritual transformation. The Law of the Spirit (new covenant) vs the Law of sin and death (old covenant). Verse 4 mentions "the righteous requirement of the law". If the Law of Moses is abolished and no longer in affect, what law is Paul referencing? The same with love being the fulfillment of the law. What Law is Paul talking about if not the Law of Moses?

Romans 7:25 is another example of spiritual vs physical.

This is just the way I see it...

People don't realize that this is exactly how Jeremiah defined the new covenant. What Jesus and Paul describes as the letter of the law being fulfilled and made spiritual, Jeremiah describes as the law being written on your heart or in your inward parts. This is what makes you saved, because God see's the righteousness and holiness of the law within you because of its fulfillment by Jesus Christ. This means that when the time comes, it won't be you standing before God next to the common atheist in danger of getting tossed in the fire, because your name is already in the book of life. But, I guess some Christians would like the law to be abolished because they don't like following rules or something.

Reactions: Richard_oti and Job

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Matthew 5
17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

This pretty much says it all regarding the Law and where the line is drawn.

Sadly, many don't understand the meaning of that passage. They believe that when Jesus gave up the Ghost, everything was fulfilled and the Law became null and void. These people are in for a rude awakening.

Sad but true. But let also remember "mercy" [cf Mic 6:8]. For we also once ...

B'ahavah 'akhi. With love to my brother.

Last edited:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Normal people don't worship art as an idol. In fact, I've never met anyone who worships art. The charge is just silly. Iconoclasm is a left over from the reformation and it hangs around like a bad smell.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 1
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.