Why do some people not like the idea of OSAS?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is in everyone hands if they choose to turn to the Lord and follow Commandments, Statues and Judgements. A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (Matthew 19:16-19).
Salvation by keeping the law? Seriously?
The law that was given to the Israelites alone through Moses. ???

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what you are talking about.

That's obvious by you admitting you do not believe and accept the plain reading of scripture!

Why are you so dogmatic about it?

Simply because.... the Lord has issued WARNINGS in His Word saying that it's possible for one to get saved and then turn away from the Lord and go to hell.

Everyone else can play footsies with each other and believe whatever, I'm going to look at all the things God said about salvation and believe Him and not the false teachers who are nobodies because they teaching things that are in opposition to God's Word. Really simple.

That's solid gold right there

Except he is ignoring God's warnings that tell us one can lose their salvation... it's known as suffering from Cherry Pickers Syndrome, also known as CPS

This is where people find a select few bible verses that fit their preconceived ideas and then they ignore or explain away all other things the Lord says on the subject.

There's lots of CPS going around these days!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation by keeping the law?

Not the OT law... but the Law of the Spirit of Life In Christ Jesus

In the New Testament, many mentions of “the law” is actually referring to Law of Christ (aka the Law of Liberty) and is not talking about the old testament law. Christians are NOT called to keep or live under the old testament law, but we ARE called to live under the Law of Christ.

Ultimately this means we are called to abide In Christ which is living after the Spirit and not after the flesh, or to be spiritually minded and not carnally minded (see Romans 8). As we see in Romans 8, to be spiritually minded is life and peace but to be carnally minded is death which is separation from the Lord.

Galatians 6:2
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:21
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

James 2:12
So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thought it was a great post until I got to the last sentence.
Eternal security is a delusion? A delusion with biblical support.
How does that work? Is it a delusion because you don't subscribe to it?
Eternal security is not in the scriptures. Some text in the absense of other text would result in a figment of OSAS. That is adding and subtracting from the Scriptures. If the doctrine of OSAS requires adjusting the verses, it is sure sign of delusion

2 Thessalonians 2:8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Delusions come from willful blindness of truth. There are many verses that refute OSAS. And granted there are many verses that a support it. Two diametrically opposed statements means one meaning must poetically understood while the other is the core truth. The poetry is the nuance and the hard simple prose must be the core truth as the wriggling would make it nonsensensical. The bible is not nonsense. Bible inerrancy demands it.

I am a married bachelor and a little pregnant.
Because I love you, you can't leave me. (because I gonna use magic handcuffs or I gonna make you love me)

i

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eternal security is not in the scriptures. Some text in the absense of other text would result in a figment of OSAS. That is adding and subtracting from the Scriptures. If the doctrine of OSAS requires adjusting the verses, it is sure sign of delusion

2 Thessalonians 2:8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Delusions come from willful blindness of truth. There are many verses that refute OSAS. And granted there are many verses that a support it. Two diametrically opposed statements means one meaning must poetically understood while the other is the core truth. The poetry is the nuance and the hard simple prose must be the core truth as the wriggling would make it nonsensensical. The bible is not nonsense. Bible inerrancy demands it.

I am a married bachelor and a little pregnant.
Because I love you, you can't leave me. (because I gonna use magic handcuffs or I gonna make you love me)
Not one iota of that last analogy relates to this topic.

Eternal Security is scripture. Or, Jesus was a liar, as is God, and Jesus died a failure.

At this stage that is precisely what unbelievers are putting forth. They are unbelievers in the Gospel that teaches God's grace gave us irrevocable eternal salvation by God's choice, not our labors to earn it.

This fact is all through Jesus ministry. It is not diminished by unbelievers in it. It does not become less because unbelievers do not see it.

In fact, unbelievers are a blessing in that their fixation with denying sinners are washed clean forever and are grace filled and irrevocably saved so not to perish as a dead in sin sinner, prove other parts of the true words of Christ.

The natural (sinner) mind cannot understand the things of God. Because they are spiritually discerned.

Those who have the Holy Spirit and are forever saved from perishing under sins, do understand the things of God. Like eternal irrevocable salvation by grace of our Father.

We won't reach those natural minded folk. And they shall never, no matter how many threads they start, shall speak over God's truth of eternal irrevocable salvation.

It is a shame they try. However, it is also a condition afforded sin nature, natural, worldly, minds that think God needs their help and consent to keep his word. That they believe they can overcome by choice and deed at any time. Making human behavior able to overcome divine covenant.

That's sad. And shall always be error.
"OSAS" Isn't heresy. It is divine favor. Unbelievers will never see that. Unless the Holy Spirit changes their mind. Him! Not us.

And that's it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where people find a select few bible verses that fit their preconceived ideas and then they ignore or explain away all other things the Lord says on the subject.
That saw cuts both ways.
Isn't that exactly what you are doing?
Why would you criticize others?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those who have the Holy Spirit and are forever saved from perishing under sins, do understand the things of God. Like eternal irrevocable salvation by grace of our Father.

We won't reach those natural minded folk. And they shall never, no matter how many threads they start, shall speak over God's truth of eternal irrevocable salvation.
Exactly!!!....In Jesus Name!...Amen!!

Praise God that all those who are , repeat , all those who are truly Born Again...can NEVER lose their salvation.

Why....because we received HIS and only HIS WORD..straight to our HEART!!!..

God’s word must be spoken to the heart...that’s why we understand each other.

Imo and belief.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a great topic. Thanks.

Unfortunately OSAS is a derrogatory term against eternal security. (the real issue here)

The unfortunate result of the rejection of OSAS is eternal in-security. (the wait and see life of fear)
Here's my position as stated before on the forum.

We cannot, by an act of our own will, undo that which only God could do in the first place.

Did we save ourselves? (nope) Then we can't un-save ourselves.

Even in the case of reprobation, it is God's choice. And I don't believe it equals a loss of salvation.
So sad to see a religion of fear being promoted here. Eternal in-security.
This is a denial of the finished work of the Atonement on our behalf.
Perhaps a person can't be saved if they deny that? (the Atonement)
Which is what we are seeing here. (and no, the Atonement is NOT limited)

1 John 2:2 NIV
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly!!!....In Jesus Name!...Amen!!

Praise God that all those who are , repeat , all those who are truly Born Again...can NEVER lose their salvation.

Why....because we received HIS and only HIS WORD..straight to our HEART!!!..

God’s word must be spoken to the heart...that’s why we understand each other.

Imo and belief.
These well-meaning folks have traded hope for hope-so.
Traded robes of righteousness for the rags of despair.
Surrendered confidence for fear.
Using the Bible to incite their spiritual poverty on others. Sick.

Tragic.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
These well-meaning folks have traded hope for hope-so.
Traded robes of righteousness for the rags of despair.
Surrendered confidence for fear.
Using the Bible to incite their spiritual poverty on others. Sick.

Tragic.
From what I read..

Lip service.

No Spirit of truth in “ their” words..fleshy words.

The Spirit talks to his Born Again, Through HIS....Living Word.

The flesh that is talking from a few here, imo/ belief...cannot and NEVER will penetrate our heart...why, because what they say is a LIE from the Devil...

You can only mature in God’s words , if you are Born Again....I see a few on here...maturing in their own words..which of course falls straight to the ground as it can’t and won’t be able to penetrate the heart of a Born Again...as we have his seed in our hearts...he was the one who planted that seed....Praise God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can only mature in God’s words , if you are Born Again....I see a few on here...maturing in their own words..which of course falls straight to the ground as it can’t and be able to penetrate the heart of a Born Again.
We have a 20-something lecturing us about spiritual maturity.
I was a church Elder before they were a twinkle in their mother's eye.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 20-something lecturing us about spiritual maturity.
I was a church Elder before they were a twinkle in their grandmother's eye.
LOL....I wonder if they actually understand what ...to be in the flesh means?

Also what being in the Spirit means?

Thankfully we have been given discernment, that can only come from being Born Again....which for some reason a few never ever mention being Born Again.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if you reject eternal security, what are you left with?

Wait and see?
A life of fear, knowing you could lose your salvation at any moment?
Or the fear that you were never saved in the first place?
Or that you would arrive in judgement thinking you had done everything right
only to be rejected on a technicality? Or that late in life you may lose
your mental faculties and disqualify yourself?
Madness.

Do you have the Holy Spirit?
(his seal of ownership... as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come)

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 NIV
Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us,
22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit,
guaranteeing what is to come.
Bears repeating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wait and see?
Madness.

22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit,

Last edited:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I don't think the devil or man can snatch people out of God's hand. But I do believe they can leave willingly.

I think if a person leaves their Christian faith, that they were never really born again by the Holy Spirit.

Wait and see?
Madness.

So true. Resting in the finished work of Christ, what a wonderful blessing.

op: some don't like the idea of osas?

Because the fallen human nature cannot humble itself enough to admit that they can "DO nothing,"
and believe That Christ DID It All On The Cross?

Amen.

So true. Like the old hymn...Jesus Paid It All.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if a person leaves their Christian faith, that they were never really born again by the Holy Spirit.
That's well-worth discussing.
What does it mean to leave the Christian faith?
Some leave Christianity, or the church, but not God.
Is that what we mean when we say "leave the Christian faith?"
Does the Good Shepherd not leave the ninety-nine to go after the one?

Your post infers the statement in 1 John 2:19 which is the common response of the church. (quoted below)
The church is like a hospital that sends its wounded to the morgue. As if the ER is run by a Coroner.
When questioned about why they are embalming the living, they reply,
"By coming to the ER they proved that they were never alive."

Look at verse 18. This is reference to specific individuals at that time. "... even now many antichrists have come..."
These are the "they" in verse 19. IMHO --- The antichrists referenced here came out of their church.

1 John 2:18-19 NIV
18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming,
even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.
19 They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us,
they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.