1 Corinthians 11:3

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At 1 Corinthians 11:3 the great majority of Bibles say “the head of Christ is God.” Here are four Bibles from Bible Gateway that have different and interesting wording.

“However, I want you to realize that Christ has authority over every man, a husband has authority over his wife, and God has authority over Christ.”
God’s Word Translation

“But I want you to understand that Christ is supreme over every man, the husband is supreme over his wife, and God is supreme over Christ.”
Good News Translation

“But there is one matter I want to remind you about: that a wife is responsible to her husband, her husband is responsible to Christ, and Christ is responsible to God.”
The Living Bible

“However, I want you to realize that Christ has authority over every man, a husband has authority over his wife, and God has authority
over Christ.”
Names of God Bible

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At 1 Corinthians 11:3 the great majority of Bibles say “the head of Christ is God.” Here are four Bibles from Bible Gateway that have different and interesting wording.

“However, I want you to realize that Christ has authority over every man, a husband has authority over his wife, and God has authority over Christ.”
God’s Word Translation

“But I want you to understand that Christ is supreme over every man, the husband is supreme over his wife, and God is supreme over Christ.”
Good News Translation

“But there is one matter I want to remind you about: that a wife is responsible to her husband, her husband is responsible to Christ, and Christ is responsible to God.”
The Living Bible

“However, I want you to realize that Christ has authority over every man, a husband has authority over his wife, and God has authority
over Christ.”
Names of God Bible

You nailed it Dave, there has always been, and will always be a chain of command sir.

DavidB

Feb 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You nailed it Dave, there has always been, and will always be a chain of command sir.
The language selected by those translators is so vivid. It’s hard to understand how that verse could be understood in any other way.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God’s Word Translation

Good News Translation

The Living Bible

over Christ.”
Names of God Bible
Why would you bring this up?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God’s Word Translation

Good News Translation

The Living Bible

over Christ.”
Names of God Bible
You do realize that "Christ" in this passage doesn't mention Jesus at all, right? The Spirit of Christ is the Holy Spirit and Christ in us, this means His Spirit in us, God in us. In context this passage is about marriage and order of submission. Wives are to submit to Husbands, Husbands are to submit to the Holy Spirit within them and the Holy Spirit is submitted to God, Jesus the Christ, who has been given all authority. This verse only applies to the saints, those who have been born again of His Spirit.

No verse stands alone for private interpretation, but must be understood in light of the entire body of scripture. Christ is not Jesus' name, but means anointed one or Messiah. Everyone who receives the Lord by faith has the same anointing of His Spirit, Christ in us.

But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him. 1 John 2:27

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The language selected by those translators is so vivid. It’s hard to understand how that verse could be understood in any other way.

It is an easy verse to understand Dave. Wouldn't it be nice if they were all that easy.