(37 M.V) Faith without works is dead - James 2:14-26

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is for you to learn about the bible, if you would like to.

It is an Exposition of James 2:14-26 presented for you to the best of my ability; worshiping God in spirit and in truth, though may have some things that might be wrong that were said. Never trust me and always go and read and check the bible for yourself.

You should always ask, who, what, when, where, how when going through the bible; and also check external evidences when you are going to search through scriptures.

God bless you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to evidence his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine.

We need to remember that James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3)

Man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is substantiated, evidenced by works. (James 2:14-24)

Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9)

It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony* :)

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@mailmandan,
Thank you for the clarification that it is the works of Christ - works of God through us. I agree with you.

You should know that I enjoy teaching the scripture to others through the videos that are made by me which has no credit taken by me but for the Glory of God.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not based on the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet faith that justifies does not remain alone (unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine. (James 2:14-24) *Perfect Harmony* :)
and I REPEAT... this is why I LOVE the mailman.....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can always go into more detail through speaking.

You are very limited when it comes to typing.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith "without" Works IS Dead...

Carnal understanding;
A "MAN" must HAVE Faith.
A "MAN" must DO Works.
A "MAN" shall be SAVED "IF":
"the man Has Faith and the man Does Works".

Spiritual understanding;
A "man" must Receive Faith "from" God;
A "man" must Receive Works "from" God;

A man who has ONLY received Faith from God, BUT HAS NOT received Gods Works from God IS 'still' DEAD in his Sins.

Works of God IN A man; is Expressly God changing the man.
Without Gods WORKS IN A man; the man remains DEAD IN HIS SINS.

A mans works, can not save the man.
Period.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You can always go into more detail through speaking.

You are very limited when it comes to typing.
Not sure who that statement was meant for... If it was for me.. then I will explain that my style of contributing varies according to subject... Sometimes... I just like to pop in and sprinkle a bit of humour... the mailman is most familiar with my affection for him... LOL

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one in particular just the truth the typing format is much more limited than speech itself. Though writing format of a pen to paper is extremely powerful. That is all was trying to make a point of, Addy. You have a good day ma'am.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No one in particular just the truth the typing format is much more limited than speech itself. Though writing format of a pen to paper is extremely powerful. That is all was trying to make a point of, Addy. You have a good day ma'am.
That is funny that you mention this... I think I understand what you were implying now... I find the opposite is true for me... My gift of the pen lies in my ability to express myself accurately with words... I prefer typed words over actual talking... I used to love writing letters by hand... but since I have gotten older... I have found it harder to physically write with a pen... I am good at typing so I am usually able to articulate my thoughts at the same rate as my thoughts form.

It's just a preference in style... I would pick an email over a phone conversation any day.... Anyways... you also have a lovely day.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing: some people are just simply that way.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is for you to learn about the bible, if you would like to.

It is an Exposition of James 2:14-26 presented for you to the best of my ability; worshiping God in spirit and in truth, though may have some things that might be wrong that were said. Never trust me and always go and read and check the bible for yourself.

You should always ask, who, what, when, where, how when going through the bible; and also check external evidences when you are going to search through scriptures.

God bless you.

Yes Matt that is very true sir. What works would you say we should be doing?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should always ask, who, what, when, where, how when going through the bible; and also check external evidences when you are going to search through scriptures....Faith WITHOUT works is Dead
Precious friend, Great Idea, so:
(1) To WHOm was "Faith WITHOUT works is Dead" Directly Addressed?

(2) WHAT was God's Context, in which This Was Written?

Rightly Divided
(2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!) From “Things That DIFFER!:

(1) To WHOm was "Saved By GRACE Through faith" Directly Addressed?

(2) WHAT was God's Context, in which This Was Written?

Just wondering...

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The video is there to watch, if you would like to. It is highly informative.