A serious thread for witnessing to Jehovah

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah, what are we going to say about him, Jehovah ie?

If God is Spirit what is it that we can say about him? and what is our source? Can Jehovah be known and if so what and how?

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means emotion.
Well, it can... :) ... in the spirit of being agreeable... (see what I did there?) :)

But, well, context is everything. After crying out, "It is finished," as recounted by John (in John 19:30), are we to understand that Jesus "gave up His..." emotion?

With all due respect, I think not; I see in that verse Christ offering up His very being, His spirit. It is the simple essence of the person, devoid of all (or at least all grosser) matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting.

Grace and peace to you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our natural man can not understand God, Jehovah, or Yahweh.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our natural man can not understand God, Jehovah, or Yahweh.
Not completely, no. God's thoughts and ways are higher than ours (Isaiah 55), and His knowledge is high and unattainable (Psalm 139). But that does not somehow mean that He cannot be understood at all. Hey, Matthew, don't we all purport to understand Him at least to some extent? And, I would say God didn't give us His infallible, inerrant Word and in so doing at least think to Himself, "Well, they won't understand any of this, but hey, here goes..." :) He does say, through Paul, that "(a)ll Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, reproof, for correction, and for training in righteoousness...", so surely we can all say, in view of 2 Timothy 3:16, that God can be, at least to some extent, understood by man. Yes, it is God Who gives us understanding, however limited ~ or prodigious ~ it may be. True wisdom is a gift of the Spirit and as such "differ(ing) according to the grace given to" (Romans 12) those among His elect, "apportion(ed) to each one individually as He wills" (1 Corinthians 12).

Grace and peace to you.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If God is Spirit what is it that we can say about him? and what is our source? Can Jehovah be known and if so what and how?
The Holy Bible reveals to mankind the charater of God. Jesus cited the Scriptures very frequently, so that is our example.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

QT: you have really pinched on both sciatica nerves of the word of God.....

You have opened up some great intro words/ideas for a book that says God is the source invisible (Col 1:15a, 1 Tim 1:17) spirit (John 4:24a) whom is worshipped in spirit and truth, is the Father, the creator (Gen 1:2b, Exodus 20:11a, Psalms 104:24, Acts 17:24a, Rev 10:6) and never his own created human Messiah (Numbers 23:19, Luke 1:35), his Son, who was and is the perfect image/mosaic (Phil 2:6a) and messenger and 'perfect' agent of his Father's own word(s), thoughts and actions (Heb 1:2), and delivered by his Father's own spirit into him (via the Spirit of God (Gen 1:2b) if you will, of the same single one person we call God or YHWH, per scripture....(Luke1:35..........)

And we know YHWH because we have the spirit of his Messiah within us as the Fathers' Spirit is within him. Our own spirit attests to his/its presence...we have the mind of Christ or have this potential indeed(Phil 2:5) and therefore also of our only one God, with a human spirit and mind.

And we are sustained or live by every word (John 1:1 - The Father God's key attribute or attribute for creation and life, his own word(s) is a part of him) of Father, our only God (Matt 4:4)

This subject can get deep really fast...

Hope all is well down under for you and loved ones, and keep on smiling as usual....

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, it can... :) ... in the spirit of being agreeable... (see what I did there?) :)

But, well, context is everything. After crying out, "It is finished," as recounted by John (in John 19:30), are we to understand that Jesus "gave up His..." emotion?

With all due respect, I think not; I see in that verse Christ offering up His very being, His spirit. It is the simple essence of the person, devoid of all (or at least all grosser) matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting.

Grace and peace to you.
Its simply that you under estimate the power of emotion. When I express the emotion of love towards you, you recieve it in your heart. That one kind deed stays with you eternaly and every other expression of love you recieve then adds to it collectively. The more you collect the more you want to give and when you give it spreads through eternity like a ripple affect from person to person. This is the Holy Spirit. If somone deer to you dies then all the kind deeds that they have done for you continue to live within your heart. This is there placement in Heaven. Heaven is not seperate from the now. Heaven is in the hearts of the living.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its simply that you under estimate the power of emotion.
No, but it seems you over-estimate the efficacy of our human emotions. You probably won't get the full impact of what I mean by that, but I'm going to leave that there.

When I express the emotion of love towards you, you recieve it in your heart. That one kind deed stays with you eternaly and every other expression of love you recieve then adds to it collectively. The more you collect the more you want to give and when you give it spreads through eternity like a ripple affect from person to person. This is the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not human emotion, or empathy, or anything of the sort. He is at work in us believers, for sure.

If somone deer to you dies then all the kind deeds that they have done for you continue to live within your heart. This is there placement in Heaven. Heaven is not seperate from the now. Heaven is in the hearts of the living.
How very New Age... Well, for us Christians, it is true that we have been raised with Christ and our lives are hidden with Him in God (Colossians 3).

Grace and peace to you, Zachariah.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Spirit is greater than emotion.
The pagans created their gods from imagination, replicating the created order.

Zachariah

Mar 20, 2023
Belief in government = belief in slavery.
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, but it seems you over-estimate the efficacy of our human emotions. You probably won't get the full impact of what I mean by that, but I'm going to leave that there.

The Holy Spirit is not human emotion, or empathy, or anything of the sort. He is at work in us believers, for sure.

How very New Age... Well, for us Christians, it is true that we have been raised with Christ and our lives are hidden with Him in God (Colossians 3).

Grace and peace to you, Zachariah.
Spirit means emotion. Period, fullstop the end. It has never ment anything else only people have taken it out of context. Go do your research.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spirit means emotion.
Sometimes, yes, as I said. In the Bible, no. Consider what Paul says in Romans 8, specifically verse 16, where, speaking of Christians, he writes, "...the Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God..." He's saying there is a Spirit ~ the Holy Spirit ~ who is a person unto Himself (a personal pronoun) Who (indicating personhood) bears witness (does something through His working/actions, something only a person can do)... and he's acknowledging that each of us Christians, has a spirit (as a true self). Neither mean "emotion," but actual personhood.

Period, fullstop the end. It has never ment anything else only people have taken it out of context. Go do your research.
LOL!

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited: