Banned !

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ah, what's your point?

lol, im oyou can frame it like that if you want, but i don't think trust should even be the frame, it's more like you trust ppl to tell you what they believe is true, but you shouldn't ever trust anyone to tell you truth, bc that assumes they knew it in the first place, which they didn't. All you can ever get from a person is a perspective. i've been asking for anyone to state a single 'truth' other than God for a year now, see, no takers yet
My point is that we're reading the bible.
We trust the persons who translated it.
Trust has to begin somewhere.
I did say I'm like the Bareans.
Acts 17:11

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Paul never disagrees with Christ, not anywhere imo; he is just on a diff mission in the Book
I agree. I didn't say otherwise.
I said if a conflict arises between two persons speaking and one quotes Paul, I always quote Jesus.
See how difficult it is to speak about scripture.

So what kind of truth are you looking for that no one has answered?
God is truth.
I'd give it a go if I knew what you meant...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I'd give it a go if I knew what you meant...
well, we have what are termed "doctrines" now that are believed to be absolute truths, even though that is not what doctrine really means anyway, but they might be one example of what many would call "absolute truths" that are nonetheless not only not truths, they are not absolute either, the doctrine of OS, trinity, etc, on and on. pretty much all of them, i guess

Reactions: Helen

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting.
So how do YOU learn theology?
Exegesis?
Hermeunetics?
I dont even know what two of them are. But I tell you what I do know.i know Jesus. I love Him He loves me. I want to live for Him and you. I dont want to get out of my bed for me. I want to rise each morning for everyone else. I ask God for His heart to love my city. So the only one i have a little knowledge on is theology. And I am quite sure I dont need the other two.

I dont want to know about Him I want to know Him.
I dont want to sing about Him I want to sing to Him.

PS God tells us in His word, You have need of no man. TheHoly Ghost will teach you all things.

Now watch for the people who think they are theolgons come and try and tell me I dont understand that very simple verse lol. So funny looking at there posts. That only make sense to them.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I got a make-over. Like?

th

I agree with all you've said except that when you post on bible study it's required --- I think.

AND, if someone says something weird or that I never heard before, I do ask for scripture.

Otherwise, yes, we should be speaking from the heart...
The heart is decitfull beyond measure. God said.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting.
So how do YOU learn theology?
Exegesis?
Hermeunetics?
Those last underlined two words of yours I never learned in high school or college. When I came to the Internet many years ago someone used them and I had to look them up. I still don't remember their definitions. I have to look them up each time.

As to my learning of God's Word I have always looked to this verse:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

But... then again it was on the Internet I was told that that verse was not directed to me. It was too late I was already learning than way...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is a time to gather stones, and a time to scatter them i guess
And there is also a time to gather the stones that clog the road to allow people to pass...
"Go through, go through the gates; prepare ye the way of the people; cast up, cast up the highway; gather out the stones; lift up a standard for the people." Isaiah 62:10

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
well, you do i guess; i translate from the Lex myself

fruit, still not a secret, still hasn't changed imo
OH!!

Well !!
You should have told me that before!

I don't speak Latin or Hebrew or Greek.
So I have to trust the translators, but knowing that they're a bit biased in each version. I use the YLT a lot and I also check out Italian bibles, And I read more than one version. I have all the important ones, and I'm trying to get The Translation, as soon as I can find it for under $71.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
well, we have what are termed "doctrines" now that are believed to be absolute truths, even though that is not what doctrine really means anyway, but they might be one example of what many would call "absolute truths" that are nonetheless not only not truths, they are not absolute either, the doctrine of OS, trinity, etc, on and on. pretty much all of them, i guess
Oh. I see.
Yeah. I don't think a doctrine is an absolute truth.
I could agree with one over another, but that's about it.
Of course, I base my belief in how I understand the bible and, of course, to me it seems that I AM RIGHT. But that's about it.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I dont even know what two of them are. But I tell you what I do know.i know Jesus. I love Him He loves me. I want to live for Him and you. I dont want to get out of my bed for me. I want to rise each morning for everyone else. I ask God for His heart to love my city. So the only one i have a little knowledge on is theology. And I am quite sure I dont need the other two.

I dont want to know about Him I want to know Him.
I dont want to sing about Him I want to sing to Him.

PS God tells us in His word, You have need of no man. TheHoly Ghost will teach you all things.

Now watch for the people who think they are theolgons come and try and tell me I dont understand that very simple verse lol. So funny looking at there posts. That only make sense to them.
OK. But I said this.
You're a blessed person and I also knew Jesus before I knew anything else.

It's just that some of us had to actually learn stuff.
Stuff that, in the end, does NOT MATTER much.
What matters is that we're going to be with HIM in heaven one fine day.

And if this is all that is required of you, well, God bless you.
You won't get any argument from me.

Jesus came upon this earth to set up the Kingdom of God, right here.
Looks to me like you're in it. That's what counts.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The heart is decitfull beyond measure. God said.
Right. In the O.T. the heart really meant the Soul.
It's just a way of saying that we speak truthfully.

The conscience is a part of the soul.
And you're right, we CANNOT trust our conscience UNLESS it was properly taught and brought up knowing the laws of God.

See. The Holy Spirit teaches us well, even without study.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Those last underlined two words of yours I never learned in high school or college. When I came to the Internet many years ago someone used them and I had to look them up. I still don't remember their definitions. I have to look them up each time.

As to my learning of God's Word I have always looked to this verse:

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

But... then again it was on the Internet I was told that that verse was not directed to me. It was too late I was already learning than way...
Two comments:

1. ExeGESis ... "Geez, what does this mean!!"
Hermeunetics is the other one:::

Exegesis [ < Greek exègeisthai (to interpret) < ex- (out) + hègeisthai (to lead). Related to English 'seek'.] Definition: To interpret a text by way of a thorough analysis of its content. When you do exegesis, you are an exegete who is exegeting the text. What you are doing is described as being exegetical. In its most basic Bible-relevant meaning, exegesis means finding out what the Spirit originally was saying through its author in that Bible passage.

Exegesis is what comes out of the Bible, as against what gets read into it.

hermeneutics [ < Greek hermeneu(te)s (interpreter). ] Definition: The science of interpretation of a story or text, and the methods used in that science.

For Bible study, hermeneutics is about the ways you discover meaning in the Bible for your life and your era, faithfully taking its intents into today's world. The Bible is not meant to be a lazy read. When you read it, you use ways to figure out what it means and how to live out what you've learned. There's a science and an art to that: hermeneutics. Most hermeneutical methods are done from inside a Christian's (or a Christian community's) own desire to learn more of what God tells us in the Bible. (There's a page on this site that has more on doing this.) You use a hermeneutic, even if you think you don't. Hermeneutics are a type of discernment process, ways of mining for God and God's truth. We're exploring what is endless and beyond our ability to comprehend, so there is some practical use of heuristic tools (like trying out ideas or using 'rules of thumb') in order to live it.

And while we're at it, the very bad...

Eisegesis
Eisegesis [ < Greek eis- (into) + hègeisthai (to lead). (See 'exegesis'.)] Definition: A process where one leads into study by reading a text on the basis of pre-conceived ideas of its meanings. It is rare for someone to be called an 'eisegete', because eisegesis has a well-earned negative reputation.

Eisegesis is what's being done when someone interprets the Bible according to notions that were born outside of the Bible. In eisegesis, we read stuff into Scripture. For instance, the idea of the United States as a "Christian Nation" is the creation of egos who gloat over being powerful. It has no basis in history or fact, but more important, it has no basis in the Bible. Thus it arises from eisegesis. Yet some leading US politicians and pastors interpret the Bible through this notion.

To some extent, eisegesis is unavoidable. We don't come to the Bible with a blank slate.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't speak Latin or Hebrew or Greek.
Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek are the Lex originals, but see Strong's has translated every word in the Lex for you, even the corrupted Strong's online is better than a single translation, imo. Reading multiple translations surely helps, i did that for a few years first, but going to the Lex just became easier for me, not that you have to of course. Of course then when you read "Holy Scripture" you will get lied to without knowing it too though, right. See you can't translate words into the Lex like that

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
have to, huh, hmm
Can't lean two new languages now.
I could have done this when I first became Christian but I had never even read a bible back then. Who woulda known??
The Italian helps a little.
I know peeps that can help me with Koine Greek AND Latin.
But I hate to bother him, although he does love to talk theology.
A priest, BTW. He taught Greek, lived in Syria.
Did something change on this forum? It looks different?