Calvinism is a Cult

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? How about these verses.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 Jn 1:9 NIV

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord. Acts 3:19 NIV

“The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!” Mark 1:15 NIV

Is confession necessary or repentance necessary? This is what I mean by it being unclear.
It is important that we combine the verses that speak of what it takes to be saved.

Now I have heard of people who have trusted in the verse, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved;" they believed as the scripture commanded, and the Lord brought them the rest of the way in, working repentance and other things into their hearts that we might deem necessary for salvation from looking at the holy scriptures.

Others had no faith, but they chose to walk in the Lord's commandments; and the Lord brought them the rest of the way in so that they came to faith in Jesus Christ.

Yet others knew that they had to repent and believe in order to be saved; and God would not receive them until they did both.

God works with each person individually; but know this: that when all is said and done, everything that is required will take place in the life of any and every one who enters in to the kingdom of heaven.

We have our whole life to live; so if you have to take it in baby steps then do that; however you should also be fearful; because it is clear from Proverbs 27:1 and Ecclesiastes 9:11 that we don't know what a day may bring forth and that time and chance happen to everything.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We have our whole life to live; so if you have to take it in baby steps then do that; however you should also be fearful; because it is clear from Proverbs 27:1 and Ecclesiastes 9:11 that we don't know what a day may bring forth and that time and chance happen to everything.

Yes, "...Indeed, the 'right time' is now. Today is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 6:2)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luk 6:10, And looking round about upon them all, he said unto the man, Stretch forth thy hand. And he did so: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Rom 8:4, That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The man with the withered hand was enabled to stretch forth his hand because of Jesus' command.

This sets forth a principle that, if God commands us to do something that we were previously unable to do, we will be empowered to do that thing.

Therefore, because of God's command, we are enabled by the power of the Holy Ghost to keep God's command.

Another scripture that sets forth this principle:

Mat 14:28, And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.
Mat 14:29, And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
from WHY CALVINISM IS A CULT

Calvinism is a cult for many reasons. Cult-like behavior is always marked by an idolatrous attachment to the cult itself. You will not find every Presbyterian or Reformed Baptist to be mired down in the cult-like behavior of Calvinism. Many people attend Calvinistic churches for reasons other than Calvinism and such members place little emphasis on Calvinism itself. It is those people who have committed themselves to five-point TULIP Calvinism who are mired in this cult.

Calvinists like to claim that all other theological systems are false. Calvinists have beliefs similar to the early Gnostics, who believed “the elect” were those ‘chosen-ones’ who had the secret knowledge of God. They believe that anyone who does not accept Calvinism must be a ‘non-elect’ and ‘non-regenerate’ person. If you observe a Calvinist carefully, you will see that he has little regard for the true meaning of the Bible message. The only message he will allow or accept is the message of Calvinism. All Biblical passages are run through the Calvinist mill. Any passage which seems to run contrary to his doctrine is ‘reworked’ to fit into his system. Like all cults, the Calvinist will not change his beliefs under any circumstances. Rather than conforming his beliefs to the Bible, the Calvinist tries to conform the Bible to his beliefs. Instead of trying to understand what the Bible really says, he first asks himself how any given passage might impact Calvinism. Then, instead of honestly trying to understand the intended message of any given passage, he develops an interpretation that will suit Calvinism. Thus all interpretations are ‘custom-fit’to suit Calvinism.

The Calvinist serves his belief system and to him the Bible must be interpreted to conform to his belief system. All interpretations of the Bible are subject to doctrines of Calvinism. For example, in the gospel of John, Calvinists interpret the word “world” in John 1:29 and John 3:16 to mean “the elect” or ‘chosen-ones’ (they use the word ‘predestinated’). But at John 17:9, they interpret the word “world” to mean “other than the elect.” Therefore, they give the same word ‘world’ (Greek kosmos), totally opposite meanings from one passage to the next. There are myriads of examples in Calvinism just like this one.

Ordinary Christians do not have such a rigid 5-point system. If a Bible passage comes up that impacts their present beliefs, such Christians will change their beliefs to conform to the Bible. Not so with a Calvinist. The Calvinist (like the Mormon and Jehovah’s Witness) serves his rigid belief system and no Biblical passage is going to change his mind.

The purpose of reading the Bible is to find out what it says and arrive at the intended meaning through understanding the context, the grammar and following accepted objective principles of interpretation. Most people read the Bible to discover the treasures therein, but not the Calvinist. He uses the Bible only to make it suit or ‘custom-fit’ his rigid 5-point brand of Calvinism.

Calvinists do not try to coherently piece the ideas in the Bible together to arrive at the big picture. Rather, they pick up passages that suit them best and either ignore or rework all other passages which do not endorse Calvinism. They gather together a bunch of passages and build for themselves a rigid cult-like doctrinal belief system (called TULIP) which is to their liking. In short, they create their own god, an idol called Calvinism.

Many people would say this language is too strong to describe Calvinism. At one time I would have said so myself. But having studied and observed Calvinists for thousands upon thousands of hours, it is my solemn conclusion that Calvinism is a very dangerous cult and falls into the same bracket of cults like Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormonism. Do not let the fact that they accept regular doctrines like the Trinity and the Deity of Christ fool you either. Observe their behavior in church circles, in theological debates and especially on social networking sites and you will see how correct are my observations that Calvinism is indeed a blinding and life-choking CULT.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

WHY CALVINISM IS A CULT

Calvinism is a cult for many reasons. Cult-like behavior is always marked by an idolatrous attachment to the cult itself. You will not find every Presbyterian or Reformed Baptist to be mired down in the cult-like behavior of Calvinism. Many people attend Calvinistic churches for reasons other than Calvinism and such members place little emphasis on Calvinism itself. It is those people who have committed themselves to five-point TULIP Calvinism who are mired in this cult.

Calvinists like to claim that all other theological systems are false. Calvinists have beliefs similar to the early Gnostics, who believed “the elect” were those ‘chosen-ones’ who had the secret knowledge of God. They believe that anyone who does not accept Calvinism must be a ‘non-elect’ and ‘non-regenerate’ person. If you observe a Calvinist carefully, you will see that he has little regard for the true meaning of the Bible message. The only message he will allow or accept is the message of Calvinism. All Biblical passages are run through the Calvinist mill. Any passage which seems to run contrary to his doctrine is ‘reworked’ to fit into his system. Like all cults, the Calvinist will not change his beliefs under any circumstances. Rather than conforming his beliefs to the Bible, the Calvinist tries to conform the Bible to his beliefs. Instead of trying to understand what the Bible really says, he first asks himself how any given passage might impact Calvinism. Then, instead of honestly trying to understand the intended message of any given passage, he develops an interpretation that will suit Calvinism. Thus all interpretations are ‘custom-fit’to suit Calvinism.

The Calvinist serves his belief system and to him the Bible must be interpreted to conform to his belief system. All interpretations of the Bible are subject to doctrines of Calvinism. For example, in the gospel of John, Calvinists interpret the word “world” in John 1:29 and John 3:16 to mean “the elect” or ‘chosen-ones’ (they use the word ‘predestinated’). But at John 17:9, they interpret the word “world” to mean “other than the elect.” Therefore, they give the same word ‘world’ (Greek kosmos), totally opposite meanings from one passage to the next. There are myriads of examples in Calvinism just like this one.

Ordinary Christians do not have such a rigid 5-point system. If a Bible passage comes up that impacts their present beliefs, such Christians will change their beliefs to conform to the Bible. Not so with a Calvinist. The Calvinist (like the Mormon and Jehovah’s Witness) serves his rigid belief system and no Biblical passage is going to change his mind.

The purpose of reading the Bible is to find out what it says and arrive at the intended meaning through understanding the context, the grammar and following accepted objective principles of interpretation. Most people read the Bible to discover the treasures therein, but not the Calvinist. He uses the Bible only to make it suit or ‘custom-fit’ his rigid 5-point brand of Calvinism.

Calvinists do not try to coherently piece the ideas in the Bible together to arrive at the big picture. Rather, they pick up passages that suit them best and either ignore or rework all other passages which do not endorse Calvinism. They gather together a bunch of passages and build for themselves a rigid cult-like doctrinal belief system (called TULIP) which is to their liking. In short, they create their own god, an idol called Calvinism.

Many people would say this language is too strong to describe Calvinism. At one time I would have said so myself. But having studied and observed Calvinists for thousands upon thousands of hours, it is my solemn conclusion that Calvinism is a very dangerous cult and falls into the same bracket of cults like Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormonism. Do not let the fact that they accept regular doctrines like the Trinity and the Deity of Christ fool you either. Observe their behavior in church circles, in theological debates and especially on social networking sites and you will see how correct are my observations that Calvinism is indeed a blinding and life-choking CULT.
Calvinism is Augustinianism affirmed by the Council of Ephesus in 431 as being true to scripture. They also affirmed "free will" is heresy. So you, as a "Oneness " person strike out on two counts. You are a heretic according to Ephesus on Free Will and Chalcedon on the Trinity.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calvinism is arrogance, and if you defy the arrogance you will draw the ire.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How inflated are believers in free will? Thinking that God saves only the self-righteous such as themselves, who choose God as any good person would?

I have never yet met a 'really' ..."Dead to self" Christian, of and breed, shape, colour or creed. :D

Not dead yet.

D

Dave L

I have never yet met a 'really' ..."Dead to self" Christian, of and breed, shape, colour or creed. :D

Not dead yet.
Paul told us to walk in the Spirit and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Most of my conflict is in the thought realm where I've learned to quell stray thoughts and imaginations while they remain temptations before they become sin. So I consider this being "dead to self".

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never met a humble Calvinist.
Oh, since you said it, it must be true.

Anyone can make unsubstantiated slanderous assertions upon others. That you've chosen to do the above is frankly saddening.

And untrue. But this fact won't stop it from happening.

My "Calvinist" brothers and sisters are godly, humble, and love the LORD and his word.

Concerning our biblical view of salvation, we know nothing good did reside in us, that we were not chosen due to any good, or even our own evil, but by grace; Ephesians 2:8-10; and all to His doing and glory; 1 Corinthians 1:26-311; Peter 1:3; James 1:18. How arrogant. Right?

Those, on the other hand, who deem themselves chosen because God saw in time what they would do ("choose" him out of their "sincere love for him") (which is impossible and unbiblical) is not only a false gospel message, but is the apex of arrogance. Not the person's, mind you, just their message. I still consider them brothers and sisters in the LORD, just misinformed. This, even when they libel us, falsely accuse, and offer inflammatory yet unsubstantiated remarks as you have.

But go ahead, cast more unfounded aspersions, and may God bless you and yours in his grace. :)

- Your arrogant Calvinist brother.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thinking that God saves only the self-righteous such as themselves, who choose God as any good person would?
You should know that false witness is forbidden by God and Christ. Exodus 20:16 - Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Those who reject Calvinism are not saved through *self-righteousness*, as you continue to falsely claim. The ones who are saved by grace through faith are declared righteous by God -- justified by grace. Just as Abraham believed God and it was imputed to him for righteousness.

And every Calvinist had to choose God and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ through obedience to the Gospel. If you did not obey the Gospel you were not justified either.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul told us to walk in the Spirit and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Most of my conflict is in the thought realm where I've learned to quell stray thoughts and imaginations while they remain temptations before they become sin. So I consider this being "dead to self".

My downfall is impatience with others. My besetting sin. Which is more in the 'feeling' realm that the thought realm. :oops:

Reactions: Dave L

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For most the most basic biological urges are our downfalls. Those being food, physical comfort, sex, security and similar.

D

Dave L

My downfall is impatience with others. My besetting sin. Which is more in the 'feeling' realm that the thought realm. :oops:
I probably should have included emotions too. That has been a trial over the years making sure my buttons didn't work when pushed. But oh the thrill when they do not.