Can We as Saved Christians Lose Our Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

And where in the Bible does it say totally surrendered?
Voluntary death to self...I die daily... I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service...Not my will, but thine be done.
If death aint fully surrendered I have no idea what surrender means at all.

Reactions: Phoneman777
D

Dave L

It works like this. The law could not save any more than today's legalistic gospel can save. But it does save physically from the ravages of sin in everyday life. That is, if you are honest, hard working, and obey the laws, you will reap the rewards connected to that. So the legalistic gospel saves at this level. And these might fall away and miss out on the perks of obedience.

But the gospel of grace actually saves effectively all who by grace believe. And having eternal life, these will never perish but overcome sin and persevere in holiness. So you need to consider the gospel of works, heard at a fleshly level and never able to provide eternal life, in contrast to the gospel of grace, heard at a spiritual level through the new birth, that is in itself eternal life.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I repeat, how do we know who keeps his commandments.
The Bible says that we're to be primarily concerned if WE OURSELVES are keeping His commandments, not the other guy. And, trust me, each one of us knows when we're acting contrary to the will of God.
But be careful here, if you're talking about legalism then nobody who tries to keep the law is saved, legalism is death.
If by "legalism" you mean attempting to earn salvation, we should all be fully aware that Jesus proved that impossible in Luke 17:7-10, so it's not necessary to state the obvious.

If by "legalism" you mean the "good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" or "if ye love Me, keep My commandments", you should probably reconsider your position while you still have time to do so.
The Bible says everyone falls short.
No, it says everyone has "fallen short" - past tense.

What does this same Bible say about the redeemed? "...we keep His commandments and do those things which are pleasing in His sight."
And which calls? If the Mosaic they were annulled at the cross.
Yes, the Law of Moses ended at the Cross which is why lamb sacrifices and circumcision are not longer required. Now, publicly declare that we may worship Satan and curse God's name and still go to heaven or declare the saint is as obligated to keep the Ten Commandments now as all the way back in the garden. Which is it?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"If you can lose it, you never had it to begin with" is an oxymoron.

Not really. One may THINK that he/she obtained salvation as a teenager during a Billy Graham crusade and then "lost it" as he/she lived a profligate life. Either that person never really made a commitment to Christ or he/she is saved "but as through fire". (1Corinthians 3:15) We must all appear at the judgment seat of Christ--and our acts as Christians will be rewarded with a "Well done..." or they will be judged as worthless and we will suffer a loss of reward.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Voluntary death to self...I die daily... I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service...Not my will, but thine be done.
If death aint fully surrendered I have no idea what surrender means at all.

But is it total in fact?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says that we're to be primarily concerned if WE OURSELVES are keeping His commandments, not the other guy. And, trust me, each one of us knows when we're acting contrary to the will of God.
If by "legalism" you mean attempting to earn salvation, we should all be fully aware that Jesus proved that impossible in Luke 17:7-10, so it's not necessary to state the obvious.

If by "legalism" you mean the "good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them" or "if ye love Me, keep My commandments", you should probably reconsider your position while you still have time to do so.
No, it says everyone has "fallen short" - past tense.

What does this same Bible say about the redeemed? "...we keep His commandments and do those things which are pleasing in His sight."
Yes, the Law of Moses ended at the Cross which is why lamb sacrifices and circumcision are not longer required. Now, publicly declare that we may worship Satan and curse God's name and still go to heaven or declare the saint is as obligated to keep the Ten Commandments now as all the way back in the garden. Which is it?
Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Not past tense only. That would be fell short.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not really. One may THINK that he/she obtained salvation as a teenager during a Billy Graham crusade and then "lost it" as he/she lived a profligate life. Either that person never really made a commitment to Christ or he/she is saved "but as through fire". (1Corinthians 3:15) We must all appear at the judgment seat of Christ--and our acts as Christians will be rewarded with a "Well done..." or they will be judged as worthless and we will suffer a loss of reward.
"If we can lose it, we never really had it" doesn't make sense in that the only possible way to lose it is if we first have it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Each step of the way with Him we must use what He has given us else what will the judgment for or against us be?

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I should have put "lose it" in quotes. I have fixed the original post.
Well that makes sense to me now. Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well that makes sense to me now. Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom.

Well he/she could but, a friend has said to me, "Why would a Blood-bought, Bible-taught, Holy Spirit-wrought, follower of the Lord, Jesus Christ, ever want to enter that slavery again??" Amen.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We become victors the moment we realize that we love God more than we love ourselves. I don't know why we always want to concentrate on the "rules" when the Lord of Life bids us welcome to His palace and sets a banquet in front of us. We are citizens of heaven--who would ever want to go back to the prison we were in?

Amen!!

...Thumb.gif

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Nope.

< Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom. >

Not possible ..it should read...
< Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom. from the position and rewards of a good and faithful servant. >

Read Rev 3 , only some qualified for the rewards of faithfulness...the rest were not disqualified from the Kingdom!!! :eek:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well he/she could but, a friend has said to me, "Why would a Blood-bought, Bible-taught, Holy Spirit-wrought, follower of the Lord, Jesus Christ, ever want to enter that slavery again??" Amen.
I take your point about the second part of the statement; Romans 8.38-39 comes to mind about the first part.

Reactions: Helen

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it's easier to swim with the current than against it. Plenty of people have turned back because of that. That's why Jesus said, "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold, but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope.

< Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom. >

Not possible ..it should read...
< Still, a saint may turn back to serving sin and disqualify himself as an eternal citizen in God's kingdom. from the position and rewards of a good and faithful servant. >

Read Rev 3 , only some qualified for the rewards of faithfulness...the rest were not disqualified from the Kingdom!!! :eek:
I've heard that backsliding only results in losing jewels in our crown, but not the crown itself...I think Scripture proves otherwise. Any branch that doesn't continue to abide in the Vine is cast into the fire and burned up.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It works like this. The law could not save any more than today's legalistic gospel can save. But it does save physically from the ravages of sin in everyday life. That is, if you are honest, hard working, and obey the laws, you will reap the rewards connected to that. So the legalistic gospel saves at this level. And these might fall away and miss out on the perks of obedience.

But the gospel of grace actually saves effectively all who by grace believe. And having eternal life, these will never perish but overcome sin and persevere in holiness. So you need to consider the gospel of works, heard at a fleshly level and never able to provide eternal life, in contrast to the gospel of grace, heard at a spiritual level through the new birth, that is in itself eternal life.
All this talk about Christian Origination when everyone already agrees that happens only by grace through faith, not of works.

Christian Obligation, however, is the elephant in the room. Antinomianists expose themselves as inconsistent cowards by their refusal to commit to one of the two opposing views:

Either we're free to disregard the Ten Commandments or we're obligated to obey the Ten Commandments - any thinking person knows there's no third option.

D

Dave L

All this talk about Christian Origination when everyone already agrees that happens only by grace through faith, not of works.

Christian Obligation, however, is the elephant in the room. Antinomianists expose themselves as inconsistent cowards by their refusal to commit to one of the two opposing views:

Either we're free to disregard the Ten Commandments or we're obligated to obey the Ten Commandments - any thinking person knows there's no third option.
Paul says love fulfills the Commandments even though they do not bind us.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I've heard that backsliding only results in losing jewels in our crown, but not the crown itself...I think Scripture proves otherwise. Any branch that doesn't continue to abide in the Vine is cast into the fire and burned up.
Ya, let's not forget that those who say they are bought are testifying of themselves, so their testimony is immediately invalidated

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

We shall see my friend, we shall see. :)