Discussing doctrine leads to arguments & division & is fruitless

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone here will welcome a stranger but as soon as they discuss doctrine all of the warm feelings disintegrate and are replaced with rage and hostility.

It's not just here; it's virtually everywhere. There are very few people that can discuss doctrine without becoming triggered and lashing out at their brothers and sisters in Christ.

That's why we need Christ. He is the only one that can remove the plank and transform us into what we are destined to be.

May God bless you all.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Discussing doctrine leads to understanding. Many people read and accept the doctrine that fits their beliefs. They simply ignore the doctrine that doesn't fit their beliefs or counter that doctrine with posts. It can bear fruit. But I guess that depends on how open people are to accepting true doctrine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Selah

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is right to want your children to be strong, theologically - where are you going to get that theology?

Bear in mind that the Devil wants to divide us, no matter what theology we have!

Reactions: Selah and dev553344

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is the only one that can remove the plank and transform us into what we are destined to be.

“For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.” (1 Corinthians 5:12-13)

Reactions: Selah

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not just here; it's virtually everywhere. There are very few people that can discuss doctrine without becoming triggered and lashing out at their brothers and sisters in Christ.
Everybody seems to see themselves as the guardian of the True Faith. But being a heresy hunter gets lonely after a while.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I watch how people react to doctrinal differences (Shields up! Arm the photon torpedoes!), and I wonder, what are we afraid of? Are we afraid that if we've got our own doctrine wrong, God is going to throw us into Hell? Or if we're wrong on one point, our whole belief-system will crumble, leaving us adrift in a sea of meaninglessness?

This is one of the reasons (if not the primary one) why I choose to interpret the word "faith" as "trust" rather than "belief". Trust in a "whom", rather than belief in a "what".

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone here will welcome a stranger but as soon as they discuss doctrine all of the warm feelings disintegrate and are replaced with rage and hostility.

That's why we need Christ. He is the only one that can remove the plank and transform us into what we are destined to be.

May God bless you all.
I think it's possible to disagree with someone without insulting them.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I watch how people react to doctrinal differences (Shields up! Arm the photon torpedoes!), and I wonder, what are we afraid of? Are we afraid that if we've got our own doctrine wrong, God is going to throw us into Hell? Or if we're wrong on one point, our whole belief-system will crumble, leaving us adrift in a sea of meaninglessness?

This is one of the reasons (if not the primary one) why I choose to interpret the word "faith" as "trust" rather than "belief". Trust in a "whom", rather than belief in a "what".
" Or if we're wrong on one point, our whole belief-system will crumble, leaving us adrift in a sea of meaninglessness?" <--- Now this can be very true of my own experience with Calvinism. It has come at me countless times, I was more afraid it was true than not so, I got my own dander up!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
" Or if we're wrong on one point, our whole belief-system will crumble, leaving us adrift in a sea of meaninglessness?" <--- Now this can be very true of my own experience with Calvinism. It has come at me countless times, I was more afraid it was true than not so, I got my own dander up!
Yeah, I remember your well-placed comma. :smilingimp: (I do hope our young brother who was put in eternal time-out is doing better.)

The tight systematic theology of that particular belief system does have its appeal, especially to people like me who want to see the universe as a nice, neat, orderly, logical place. (Engineers and scientists do think like that.) And it works - until it breaks and there's nothing left to believe in. (Especially if you identify with the non-elect.) The counter-reaction can by pretty bad, too. People who are afraid bite and scratch and claw and kick and throw knees and elbows.

• Haha

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember your well-placed comma. :smilingimp: (I do hope our young brother who was put in eternal time-out is doing better.)

The tight systematic theology of that particular belief system does have its appeal, especially to people like me who want to see the universe as a nice, neat, orderly, logical place. (Engineers and scientists do think like that.) And it works - until it breaks and there's nothing left to believe in. (Especially if you identify with the non-elect.) The counter-reaction can by pretty bad, too. People who are afraid bite and scratch and claw and kick and throw knees and elbows.
I forgot all about that one! Lol. It is easy to see how someone who is not stable in their mind can develope theological insanity! Especially if you allow yourself to get so caught up in the "is it?" or isn't it's?"

"The tight systematic theology of that particular belief system does have its appeal, especially to people like me who want to see the universe as a nice, neat, orderly, logical place. (Engineers and scientists do think like that.) "

No wonder you are Methodist, lol!

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tight systematic theology of that particular belief system does have its appeal, especially to people like me who want to see the universe as a nice, neat, orderly, logical place. (Engineers and scientists do think like that.)
No wonder you are Methodist, lol!
Hah!

My earliest memories of church were of a Presbyterian church. Presbyterians, I'm told, always do things in an "orderly and decent" manner.

In my early teens, we attended a Baptist church. This church was big on teaching doctrine, but short on love.

My parents later switched to a Methodist church. This church showed God's love, and taught me to read the Bible so I could discern doctrine on my own. (The Methodist Book of Discipline has 800+ pages and is dry as dust; who has time to read all that?)

We're actually kinda messy - but I'm where I'm supposed to be.

• Love