Environmental Rights (and Wrongs)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Should the environment, animate and/or inanimate, be assigned rights? Or has God already assigned these, and we just need to work out what they are?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oceanprayers

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should the environment, animate and/or inanimate, be assigned rights? Or has God already assigned these, and we just need to work out what they are?

Best wishes, 2RM.
On a rant today....

World philosophical and biblical views all rolled up into one....

We are given this earth and all that it contains to keep it, as good stewards. To understand the physical environment(s) we experience as each one is different. To generally treat all of it as God's gift to us and therefore we should not do violence or undue or unnatural harm to it.

And we know the rest of the story...we blew it as keepers of the garden and the animated creatures it contains.

Therefore I vote we use and treat the environment as a living organism, to care for it, with all its various ecosystems and creatures and species. To know that when the Spirit within us drives us to pick up the litter we have thrown down and the debris we place in the waterways and the out-of-season kill we make, we are seared and we learn from it and stop doing it in the future. It is a learning experience.

Now who is going to tell the unspiritual, the deliberate spoilers of God's green earth, those generally without the Spirit of God, the greedy, the power hungry, the rich and and usually the non-Christian, to do the same?

These just mentioned are quick to place rights on the environment for all to abide by, so to keep us from it, or curtail our enjoyment of it, for their own selfish agendi. To control and keep it for themselves as they keep blaming the rest of us for killing it off as they continue with their violence and harm and attack on God's creation.

So no, no official world sanctioned rights should be given to the environment so that the heathen are enabled and continue to capitalize on this policy really for themselves. And yes, yes to internally spirit-driven rights for the environment, given to us in our hearts as commandments from God.

So as you said at the end, God has already assigned the rights to the environment, and we do have to work them out as children. Although many of us are not aware of this or we are not listening. It's a mess, indeed

Bless you..APAK

Jan 24, 2022
Redding California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God made the Earth (and everything else) God controls the weather, not man. He can make it rain or not make it rain. Global climate change is Gods doing. The move to "Fix" the environment is the "other guy's", making us believe we are greater than God and can make the weather better. The answer is prayer as a Nation and maybe the world to ask God for forgiveness for "the imaginations of our hearts", a trait that ("the other guy") always sways us with.

Reactions: Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a rant today....

We are given this earth and all that it contains to keep it, as good stewards. To understand the physical environment(s) we experience as each one is different. To generally treat all of it as God's gift to us and therefore we should not do violence or undue or unnatural harm to it.

And we know the rest of the story...we blew it as keepers of the garden and the animated creatures it contains.

Therefore I vote we use and treat the environment as a living organism, to care for it, with all its various ecosystems and creatures and species. To know that when the Spirit within us drives us to pick up the litter we have thrown down and the debris we place in the waterways and the out-of-season kill we make, we are seared and we learn from it and stop doing it in the future. It is a learning experience.

Now who is going to tell the unspiritual, the deliberate spoilers of God's green earth, those generally without the Spirit of God, the greedy, the power hungry, the rich and and usually the non-Christian, to do the same?

These just mentioned are quick to place rights on the environment for all to abide by, so to keep us from it, or curtail our enjoyment of it, for their own selfish agendi. To control and keep it for themselves as they keep blaming the rest of us for killing it off as they continue with their violence and harm and attack on God's creation.

So no, no official world sanctioned rights should be given to the environment so that the heathen are enabled and continue to capitalize on this policy really for themselves. And yes, yes to internally spirit-driven rights for the environment, given to us in our hearts as commandments from God.

So as you said at the end, God has already assigned the rights to the environment, and we do have to work them out as children. Although many of us are not aware of this or we are not listening. It's a mess, indeed

Bless you..APAK

Totally brought these lyrics to mind, your post did.

"God of creation
There at the start
Before the beginning of time
With no point of reference
You spoke to the dark
And fleshed out the wonder of light
And as You speak
A hundred billion galaxies are born
In the vapour of Your breath the planets form
If the stars were made to worship, so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You've made
Every burning star
A signal fire of grace
If creation sings Your praises, so will I
God of Your promise
You don't speak in vain
No syllable empty or void
For once You have spoken
All nature and science
Follow the sound of Your voice

And as You speak
A hundred billion creatures catch Your breath
Evolving in pursuit of what You said
If it all reveals Your nature so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You say
Every painted sky
A canvas of Your grace
If creation still obeys You, so will I
So will I
So will I
If the stars were made to worship, so will I
If the mountains bow in reverence, so will I
If the oceans roar Your greatness, so will I
For if everything exists to lift You high, so will I
If the wind goes where You send it, so will I
If the rocks cry out in silence, so will I
If the sum of all our praises still falls shy
Then we'll sing again a hundred billion times..."

:)

Reactions: APAK

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God made the Earth (and everything else) God controls the weather, not man. He can make it rain or not make it rain. Global climate change is Gods doing. The move to "Fix" the environment is the "other guy's", making us believe we are greater than God and can make the weather better. The answer is prayer as a Nation and maybe the world to ask God for forgiveness for "the imaginations of our hearts", a trait that ("the other guy") always sways us with.

I shouldn't say that God is directly responsible for climate change. I think He just set up the system such that it would result in destruction if we abused the environment, which seems to be what is going on right now. Mankind has agency; we can fix the mistakes we are making if that is what we choose to do. Assigning and policing environmental rights could be seen as the first vital step in the process, particularly if they take precedence over property rights, and transcend national borders.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On a rant today....

We are given this earth and all that it contains to keep it, as good stewards. To understand the physical environment(s) we experience as each one is different. To generally treat all of it as God's gift to us and therefore we should not do violence or undue or unnatural harm to it...

I couldn't agree more with this. The problem is, others suffer from our mistakes, and we suffer from theirs. I think this God's way of saying 'love your neighbour as yourselves. Or else!' 2000 years since Jesus, and we all still don't seem to have absorbed this simple message.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I couldn't agree more with this. The problem is, others suffer from our mistakes, and we suffer from theirs. I think this God's way of saying 'love your neighbour as yourselves. Or else!' 2000 years since Jesus, and we all still don't seem to have absorbed this simple message.

Best wishes, 2RM.
That is also my style.....love others, and even other things in places as you would yourself and your own property....a very personal and spiritual attitude. We do overlook the obvious question we sometimes make internally at times, if we have a conscience...Why do we care? There must be something to it, right?

Have a great Day, from this side of the Pond

Reactions: 2ndRateMind

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why do we care? That's a humdinger of a question! I guess the proximate cause of our caring is evolution. We evolved to care, firstly for our family, then for our tribe, and then by extension of empathy and sympathy, for all of humanity, and other species. In other words, caring is our default state, and we have to persuade ourselves not to care. The more genes we share with the object of our attention, and the greater our degree of familiarity with it, the deeper the tendency to care, and the more violence we do to our spiritual stature when we decide not to care. Or so it all seems to me.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Best wishes, 2RM.
I learned the other day that of all the effort people make to recycle, 90% of all plastic ends up in the dump or our oceans. And our oceans are perilous traps because of discarded nets from the fisheries industries. These nets trap and drown everything from sea turtles to whales.

Cruise ships, military vessels, submarines, empty their heads, septic waste, into the seas that are fished for the seafood industry. Garbage, plastic, human feces.

You are what you eat.
Anyone have a hankering for lobster?

Corporate interests clearcut swaths of the amazon forrest. One of the biggest offenders being McDonald's. Because it's cheaper to raise herds of cattle there than on the American plains.
We pollute our air, foul our soil, irrigate commercial food crops with human waste water, factory farm our meat animals, and because supply can't meet demand we pump them full of steroids that are illegal for human consumption because we need bigger meatier food sources at a faster rate of growth than God normally allows.

I think for overlong our species has made it very obvious we've decided and behave in a way that proves the environment has no rights. Because we believe we have the right to exploit it as we deem fit. The absurd notion of our dominion has atrophied common sense.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
...We pollute our air, foul our soil, irrigate commercial food crops with human waste water, factory farm our meat animals, and because supply can't meet demand we pump them full of steroids that are illegal for human consumption because we need bigger meatier food sources at a faster rate of growth than God normally allows...

...I think for overlong our species has made it very obvious we've decided and behave in a way that proves the environment has no rights. Because we believe we have the right to exploit it as we deem fit. The absurd notion of our dominion has atrophied common sense.

You are quite right to notice that humanity is fast approaching (or has already reached and exceeded) the ecological carrying capacity of Spaceship Earth.

I would just like to enter a plea for human faeces and urine (humanure), however. They are both biodegradable, and (after processing) would make valuable organic fertilisers should we choose to use them that way. Thus we would close the circle: animals produce waste - plants use that as food and produce waste - herbivorous and omnivorous animals use the plant waste as food, and produce waste, etc, etc.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Last edited:

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think for overlong our species has made it very obvious we've decided and behave in a way that proves the environment has no rights. Because we believe we have the right to exploit it as we deem fit. The absurd notion of our dominion has atrophied common sense.

I would agree with this. Hence my question in the OP. Should we assign such rights, or has God already assigned them, for us to discover?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Oceanprayers

Jan 5, 2022
Panama City
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would agree with this. Hence my question in the OP. Should we assign such rights, or has God already assigned them, for us to discover?

Best wishes, 2RM.
I thought he'd already issued such rights that protect his creation, the environment that sustains his human creation.
In Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy,Isaiah,
And Numbers 35:33-34 You shall not pollute the land in which you live, for blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made for the land for the blood that is shed in it, except by the blood of the one who shed it. You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell, for I the Lord dwell in the midst of the people of Israel.”

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.​

2ndRateMind

Aug 18, 2021
Bristol,UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I thought he'd already issued such rights that protect his creation, the environment that sustains his human creation.
In Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy,Isaiah,
And Numbers 35:33-34 You shall not pollute the land in which you live, for blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made for the land for the blood that is shed in it, except by the blood of the one who shed it. You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell, for I the Lord dwell in the midst of the people of Israel.”

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.​

Thanks for those verses. What, then, do you think God makes of carbon emissions? Are climate change and global warming His judgment upon us?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Reactions: Oceanprayers