Fellowship, what is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:6-7 KJV
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: [7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If people are incapable of fellowship does this mean that the truth of Jesus is not in them?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If people are incapable of fellowship does this mean that the truth of Jesus is not in them?

It might mean that the truth of Christ is not in them, or if they are believer’s they may not be living out from Him at the moment so are incapable of fellowship...

For fellowship is one believer’s personal relationship with Christ talking/sharing/touching another believer’s personal relationship with Christ...

For there are times when as Christians we miss the mark and are incapable of fellowship until we return...

My thinks...

Be blessed as we pursue Him..

A fellow believer, Not me

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It might mean that the truth of Christ is not in them, or if they are believer’s they may not be living out from Him at the moment so are incapable of fellowship...

For fellowship is one believer’s personal relationship with Christ talking/sharing/touching another believer’s personal relationship with Christ...

For there are times when as Christians we miss the mark and are incapable of fellowship until we return...

My thinks...

@Not me
What you say is an area that John's First Epistle is very relevant for.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My thinks...

Thanks to both for sharing. I guess I'm mainly questioning these things tonight due to what I perceive as a lack of fellowship in this world.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:6-7 KJV
If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: [7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Maybe not exactly what is meant, but
most people are 'incapable' of 'finding' fellowship because it is so rare (perhaps hard to find anywhere) . Few ever experience it. (The True Fellowship, Reality of the Creator, abiding in Jesus). With men it truly is impossible.
With God, He Alone Is Able , Capable, of Accomplishing ... .... ....

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks to both for sharing. I guess I'm mainly questioning these things tonight due to what I perceive as a lack of fellowship in this world.

May the Lord bless you with fellowship, as you taste someone’s else’s relationship with Christ, as they taste yours.....

As He becomes more and we less...

In the Beloved, Not me

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
May the Lord bless you with fellowship, as you taste someone’s else’s relationship with Christ, as they taste yours.....

As He becomes more and we less...

In the Beloved, Not me
I'm reminded here of the words of John the Baptist: "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3.30).

Reactions: Philip James

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I'm guessing what typically breaks fellowship is disagreement. I guess the next question would be can we disagree and maintain fellowship with others?

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm reminded here of the words of John the Baptist: "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3.30).

That is where I got the truth..
And such a truth it is...!!

Be blessed as we learn by experience this truth..

A fellow servant of His, Not me

Reactions: farouk

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is where I got the truth..
And such a truth it is...!!

Be blessed as we learn by experience this truth..

A fellow servant of His, Not me
So is this to say we should humble ourselves and wait on the Lord to correct?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I'm guessing what typically breaks fellowship is disagreement. I guess the next question would be can we disagree and maintain fellowship with others?
Sure, happens every day,
but not in Christ Jesus. The World loves all the 'fellowship' the world sees, and likes to make more of it, as if it helps anyone - all the while deceiving them all....
i.e. not "disagreement", rather whatever is born of the flesh, is flesh, and profits nothing. What fellowship has darkness with Light ? The Light came into the world, to save souls, and the people hated the Light, and reject Him, because their lives are evil and their deeds wicked every day.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, happens every day,
but not in Christ Jesus. The World loves all the 'fellowship' the world sees, and likes to make more of it, as if it helps anyone - all the while deceiving them all....
i.e. not "disagreement", rather whatever is born of the flesh, is flesh, and profits nothing. What fellowship has darkness with Light ? The Light came into the world, to save souls, and the people hated the Light, and reject Him, because their lives are evil and their deeds wicked every day.
Well I for one am overwhelmed that the brethren in the first century could all be of one mind. You just don't see this anywhere nowadays.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I see all of the back biting and pit digging on the forum followed by the very scripture I quoted earlier, and I'm also guilty myself at times, still I ask myself how can the light of God be in us and is be in all this discord?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In the end it's the sense and reality of the vertical fellowship that informs in a prior sense our Christian fellowship horizontally. "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ." (1 John 1.3)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the end it's the sense and reality of the vertical fellowship that informs in a prior sense our Christian fellowship horizontally. "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ." (1 John 1.3)
Maybe this is my problem, a need for more vertical fellowship.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There can be genuine fellowship only with genuine children of God. And they also have fellowship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Greek word for fellowship is KOINONIA, which means communion. So fellowship is both spiritual union and communion.

This is outwardly displayed in the Lord's Supper (the Breaking of Bread) where one loaf and one cup are shared by all. Paul expounds on the spiritual significance of this in his epistles.