Hello! Just joined. I don’t think I’ve been to this one before.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm finding that I can't concentrate on anything for very long. I used to love to read all day but now every few pages or couple of chapters I have to get up and do something else. Also I can't seem to concentrate for long on praying. It worries me a little. Not the reading but the praying.

Totally agree .
I struggle to get through one chapter of any book in one sitting…whereas, like you , I used to read for hours on end.
Neither can I concentrate on the old classics any more . :oops:

Now I know why my old mum and dad used to re-read old favourite books ….I have turned into them!! Haha!

Reactions: Pearl

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is a serious question , not tongue in cheek.
We were once in a Movement ( you may remember me talking about it years ago)

They taught us that our life and moments of our days and our interests , must only be a life of prayer and Bible reading/ study , like Jesus.

So my question is to you and anyone else @Hidden In Him , @APAX , @ScottA @Pearl @amadeus …etc etc etc …

just how do we do that? I cannot…

I am a believer in Sonship …( the overcomers who follow the Lamb wheresoever He goes) and I believe that the proof of sonship is how we spend our time . So , on that score, I will end up as an “ also ran” but not an overcoming son. :oops:

for all of our early years in following the Lord …we would never watch Tv , or read any secular books …Bible only , worship and prayer . But, that said …when we got old and no longer in the church ministry ….we have little to do other than eat , sleep , worship, prayer , go on forums ( haha) etc , so yes …I guess we sold out to “ The Grey “ …

It's a miracle you remained a Christian.

I sought to do this same thing and couldn't either, and it was not because someone was telling me to, just because I wanted to. But I just found it impossible. It felt like watching paint dry. That's not to say we shouldn't give as much time to the Lord as possible, especially in prayer, but I believe these things grow in a believer's life in accordance with their growth, particularly in ministry. To think people can just "do it" from the earliest stages of their walk with God is ludicrous in the extreme to me. Just creates a bunch of people who think they can't live out "Christianity," and that tends to cause many to simply give up.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

I sought to do this same thing and couldn't either, and it was not because someone was telling me to, just because I wanted to. But I just found it impossible. It felt like watching paint dry. That's not to say we shouldn't give as much time to the Lord as possible, especially in prayer, but I believe these things grow in a believer's life in accordance with their growth, particularly in ministry. To think people can just "do it" from the earliest stages of their walk with God is ludicrous in the extreme to me. Just creates a bunch of people who think they can't live out "Christianity," and that tends to cause many to simply give up.
John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

i think that the Philippians verse helps us to understand what living life to the full is all about.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I see it as a workout. I get weak and just watch something else. I dedicate about a half hour to an hour a day to the Lord and do other things. Like my projects. But what I notice is that it isn't easy giving time to the Lord. The flesh gets weak and fights it.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But what I notice is that it isn't easy giving time to the Lord. The flesh gets weak and fights it.

That's correct. Prayer is actually work, and if one fails to account for that fact because they're already worn out from earthly affairs, they likely won't have much energy left for spiritual "labor." Paul even compared it to labor and toil, and "travail."

Same goes for intensive study. If we would learn as we ought to then it will require seeking the Holy Spirit to illuminate our minds, and letting Him guide our thoughts along the way. These things are why the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all your heart, and all your soul, and all your mind, and all your strength. It takes energy to serve the Lord with everything you have.

Reactions: dev553344

Marine0311

Jun 26, 2022
New Roads , Louisiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen
Do you think Jesus never sat down and enjoyed the company of friends, never had a laugh, never enjoyed the world around him and what it had to offer within the culture at the time.
What struck me we’re the words ‘ They taught us ‘ ………….
Tv is seen as a bad thing by many, along with other technology ( which is the basis of what you convey, had the internet been available or computers or phones back then, they would probably also have been frowned upon because they do not constitute a life of prayer , study. ) Yet there are many good things that have come from all of these things. Look at how we can communicate with one another instantly and spend time together. You and Dave have always been two people I respect and lookup to over the years, but without modern communication we would never have met.
I am pleased that you consider that there are those who live very black and white lives and are always serving the Lord, always praying , always studying. ( it’s a shame that some of those who proclaim that here don’t deal with their constant judgments over others, so I guess many who think they are not in the grey are internally as they Lord it over others all the time and promote themselves as being ‘ way more spiritual )

I admit I get the wrong balance at times, however I know that when I look back over the year or months I know that the Lord is dealing with me, changing me, teaching me……I know that I am growing , despite of sometimes being in the grey at times, and the only reason I used the word ‘ grey ‘ was because I know there have been times when I have chosen to watch something on tv because I got hooked and it took up more time than intended.
You know I am impacted in a negative way more by the constant bad attitudes on this forum towards one another than anything on tv ……..
I know I am not where I should be, but It’s the Lord that has the right to correct me and change me, not the opinions of others on what I should and shouldn’t do……….
Rita

plus often the “corrections” we receive are not actually from the Bible, but culture and preferences. Many fill up scripture with their own preferences created by their limited culture. The biggest problem though is there seems to be many here that respond without actually reading the posts. It’s a bit annoying when you see questions answered in your very first post lol. You know they are literally just reacting and not attempting to actually hear someone out.

Reactions: Rita and bbyrd009

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever read Genesis ? Either God created as He said He did or He lied, and God cannot lie so that means evolution is a lie.
Evolution as most people think of it is a lie. But just think about it - things still evolve naturally. God created things as per the account in Genesis and then continued - and still continue - to evolve through time. But monkeys didn't evolve into humans. No way!!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..You know I am impacted in a negative way more by the constant bad attitudes on this forum towards one another..

Ah but it's FUN correcting them in a nice polite way..:)
For example we could say that their quarrelsome negative vibes are very unchristian, so shame on them-
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.And the Lord's servant must not quarrel, instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Timothy 2:23-26)

Reactions: Rita

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Evolution as most people think of it is a lie.
i cant imagine how you might be so sure of that, pearl
But just think about it - things still evolve naturally. God created things as per the account in Genesis and then continued - and still continue - to evolve through time. But monkeys didn't evolve into humans. No way!!
i cant find a scientist who ever thought that we did?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I struggle to get through one chapter of any book in one sitting…whereas, like you , I used to read for hours on end.
Neither can I concentrate on the old classics any more
MCT oil for that
works wonders, takes a couple months
dont od at first, just wet lips basically

how ya been btw helen? :)

Reactions: Helen

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yahweh made this earth for us to enjoy. We can enjoy so much. The world that we are wanted against is not the actual physical earth and all it’s beauty and challenges, but we are asked to avoid evil. Avoiding evil means one thing. Turning from sin and sin is acting unrighteously.

our entire lives are dedicated to the lord. It’s far more than prayer , studying the Bible and so on. We also need to be in fellowship. Which is where the horror really comes into play with my loves. Stranger Things was mentioned for example. Season 4 of ST was a fantastic time for me because me and several friends from church watched it in person together, and we watched it at the same time as with dozens of other disciples across the world and talked about it, it’s tropes, it’s patterns and so on. Was a fun time to fellowship.

every Halloween me and several other disciples from nearby , including across different denominations, gather together and we sit around a campfire at a local nature preserve and we listen to horror stories from podcasts together. Tell some of our own. We make several vegan pizzas during the day. We often finish up and head out to one of our houses and will watch a horror film together and do a Bible study focused on one of the horror stories from the Bible.

Marine0311

Jun 26, 2022
New Roads , Louisiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can second yourself but many folks actually have reading comprehension skills, and many also pray with study of the Bible and depend on God ( not men) for understanding of His word.The dangerous assumption is to trust men when they clearly call God a liar.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm finding that I can't concentrate on anything for very long. I used to love to read all day but now every few pages or couple of chapters I have to get up and do something else. Also I can't seem to concentrate for long on praying. It worries me a little. Not the reading but the praying.
Fight back dear sister . There is nothing good in our flesh and it will do all now to distract us . FIGHT back dear sister .
You will be prayed for as well .