How to handle heretics?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were running your own church, then you could be in charge of teaching what you believe to be good theology.

This forum on the other hand, welcomes people with many views. If that bothers you, I would suggest finding a different online venue that suits your preferences.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you were running your own church, then you could be in charge of teaching what you believe to be good theology.

This forum on the other hand, welcomes people with many views. If that bothers you, I would suggest finding a different online venue that suits your preferences.

ever wonder why you see so few reformed folk on here? Theres a reason.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This forum has a ton of bad theology, some heretical, some not. My question is, how should heretics be handled?
I don't like to debate as I already know my beliefs. But if I see something heretical and I feel inclined, I will post my beliefs in there so anyone reading it can get some better doctrine than what is being presented.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will share my belief of how all of us having different views on theology will one day glorify God, but first i want to hear what others think.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This forum has a ton of bad theology, some heretical, some not. My question is, how should heretics be handled?
One man's heresy is another man's orthodoxy. The Catholics think all us Protestants are heretics, and they're the largest Christian denomination in the world.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
**long answer warning**
Despite what some are expecting, this is not a gloomy type question. This may even surprise some of you. The question was how do we deal with heretics, and the best answer i can come up with is, we dont unless primary doctrines are involved.

the WCF larger catechism first question asks “what is the chief and highest end of man?”
Answer: “Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever.”
How can our disagreements lead us to that?

I believe we all want to be as correct as we can concerning God. We want to do right by Him in everything. This is a good attitude, and i do think everyone on here wants to do what makes God happy. I also think we are a fallen people who still deal with pride and want to be correct as to prove others wrong.

i believe the answer to the question is the same no matter what the disagreement is; by us arguing over who is right, it will eventually glorify God in that only He can solve such problems. While we argue, imagine the glory God will get when He fixes all the problems, and we’ll all watch and think “wow, God is like the smartest guy ever.” He will get the glory in the end.

Yet, at the same time, we read in Galatians 2:11 paul “corrected” peter. Now clearly both men were saved, they were apostles, they were smart, and yet both were still fallen men capable of doing wrong. The way that i look at it, if peter and paul made mistakes, any of the rest of us can. Do i think its ok to “correct” wrong theology? Yes, but not at the expense of anothers salvation unless its a primary doctrine of our faith. Baptism isnt a primary issue of salvation, yet people argue over baby baptism. Im ok with that, but not to the point where we would call someone a heretic over it.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
**long answer warning**
Despite what some are expecting, this is not a gloomy type question. This may even surprise some of you. The question was how do we deal with heretics, and the best answer i can come up with is, we dont unless primary doctrines are involved.

the WCF larger catechism first question asks “what is the chief and highest end of man?”
Answer: “Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever.”
How can our disagreements lead us to that?

I believe we all want to be as correct as we can concerning God. We want to do right by Him in everything. This is a good attitude, and i do think everyone on here wants to do what makes God happy. I also think we are a fallen people who still deal with pride and want to be correct as to prove others wrong.

i believe the answer to the question is the same no matter what the disagreement is; by us arguing over who is right, it will eventually glorify God in that only He can solve such problems. While we argue, imagine the glory God will get when He fixes all the problems, and we’ll all watch and think “wow, God is like the smartest guy ever.” He will get the glory in the end.

Yet, at the same time, we read in Galatians 2:11 paul “corrected” peter. Now clearly both men were saved, they were apostles, they were smart, and yet both were still fallen men capable of doing wrong. The way that i look at it, if peter and paul made mistakes, any of the rest of us can. Do i think its ok to “correct” wrong theology? Yes, but not at the expense of anothers salvation unless its a primary doctrine of our faith. Baptism isnt a primary issue of salvation, yet people argue over baby baptism. Im ok with that, but not to the point where we would call someone a heretic over it.
This is actually a very thoughtful post, and I thank you for that, even as I disagree.

I believe that correction of faith comes through the Holy Spirit speaking to that person's heart. It's not by flawed men on an internet forum arguing. In fact, I find that arguing too often breeds entrenchment in each person's stance, feelings of bitterness, pride, and distracts from the most important things. Rather than arguing, I would take a nurturing stance, celebrating in scripture & love, showing a person charity, and bring good things to the table for people to feast on.

Reactions: Lambano

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just as Jesus handled the prideful Jews, the Pharisees, Sadducees and the scribes; and just as all the countless martyrs handled the heretic Roman Catholic teachers of False Doctrine.

They should be diligently and boldly corrected with Scripture.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"What is "bad theology"? And who says so?
What if the ones yelling..."heresy!" are themselves the heretics? How do you identify "heresy"?

If Jesus said that "weeds" would infiltrate the Christian faith and promote a counterfeit version of what Christ taught, and these were sown by the devil in the early centuries....then how would you know?.... Since the counterfeit is convincing and had crept in unassailed by those who were weak in faith and bereft of God's spirit, can you tell the truth from the lies? The liar is a master of deception.
Those whom Jesus rejects at the judgment obviously think that they are true Christians and cannot believe that Jesus is telling them that he "NEVER" knew them......."never means "not ever". (Matthew 7:21-23)
So, not all that pretends to be truth, actually is.....

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"What is "bad theology"? And who says so?
What if the ones yelling..."heresy!" are themselves the heretics? How do you identify "heresy"?

If Jesus said that "weeds" would infiltrate the Christian faith and promote a counterfeit version of what Christ taught, and these were sown by the devil in the early centuries....then how would you know?.... Since the counterfeit is convincing and had crept in unassailed by those who were weak in faith and bereft of God's spirit, can you tell the truth from the lies? The liar is a master of deception.
Those whom Jesus rejects at the judgment obviously think that they are true Christians and cannot believe that Jesus is telling them that he "NEVER" knew them......."never means "not ever". (Matthew 7:21-23)
So, not all that pretends to be truth, actually is.....
Well said Aunty Jane.

Reactions: Cassandra

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ever wonder why you see so few reformed folk on here? Theres a reason.
I think this is a great forum with great people on it, even if we view things differently, the admin is not quick to ban unless you've done or said something really bad, like insult someone or flame someone.

I think it is good that we are allowed to express what we think is right and our religious beliefs, some forums ban you for the slightest of things.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have two options: (1) ignore them and (2) rebuke them. But since you are a dyed-in-the-wool Calvinist, you would not be taken seriously. Calvinism is essentially heresy.