Is the Word of God only found in scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
example: of the word of God not in the Bible alone!

Lk 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
Or
1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

these are divine revelation!
Inspired by the Holy Spirit!
And the word of God!

why do some only accept them after they are written down?

they are divine revelation and the inspired word of God when they were received, and when they were taught to the people, and when they were written down! Why only accept them in the written form or “Bible alone”???

Where does Christ or scripture say that all the divinely reveled truths are in scripture?
Where does Christ say what is and what is not scripture?
Your name is now "Little Birdy."
Are you trying to get people to doubt the scriptures Little Birdy?

Jesus said,

John 10:34-36

Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Jesus was talking about the Hebrew scriptures in this context. He declares that the Hebrew scriptures are an accurate record of what God said and promised.

You see, Little Birdy, Jesus taught his disciples to trust the scriptures. He teaches them that the scriptures can't be broken.

Peter considered Paul's writings to be scripture.

2 Peter 3:15-17

15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

You see Little Birdy, Peter not only confessed that Paul's writings were scripture, he also confessed that the unstable distort them. He warned us about the error of unprincipled men.

What did Paul say about the scriptures?

2 Timothy 3:15-17

15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Little Birdy, Paul tells you that the scriptures are inspired by God. He tells you that a study of the scriptures is adequate to equip the man of God for every good work. Read, study, and mediate on the scriptures and you will do well.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
example: of the word of God not in the Bible alone!

Lk 3:2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
Or
1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

these are divine revelation!
Inspired by the Holy Spirit!
And the word of God!

why do some only accept them after they are written down?

they are divine revelation and the inspired word of God when they were received, and when they were taught to the people, and when they were written down! Why only accept them in the written form or “Bible alone”???

Where does Christ or scripture say that all the divinely reveled truths are in scripture?
Where does Christ say what is and what is not scripture?
Paul instructs us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Prayer is not only speaking, but more importantly, listening. Trying to understand what the Lord is saying can be a challenge, but reading the Bible, cover to cover, can help us do that.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Jesus said,

Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?

Jesus was talking about the Hebrew scriptures in this context. He declares that the Hebrew scriptures are an accurate record of what God said and promised.

You see, Little Birdy, Jesus taught his disciples to trust the scriptures. He teaches them that the scriptures can't be broken.

15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

You see Little Birdy, Peter not only confessed that Paul's writings were scripture, he also confessed that the unstable distort them. He warned us about the error of unprincipled men.

15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Paul tells you that the scriptures are inspired by God. He tells you that a study of the scriptures is adequate to equip the man of God for every good work. Read, study, and mediate on the scriptures and you will do well.

Little Birdy! How insulting.
And your exegesis is rubbish. You can't even understand the scriptures you quote.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Little Birdy! How insulting.
And your exegesis is rubbish. You can't even understand the scriptures you quote.
Mungo, have you never read 1 Kings 20:11?

I have named him Little Birdy because that is his name. If you favor the process of exegesis, then practice it.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus said,

Little Birdy, Paul tells you that the scriptures are inspired by God. He tells you that a study of the scriptures is adequate to equip the man of God for every good work. Read, study, and mediate on the scriptures and you will do well.

no it’s not against the scriptures
We all agree they are the inspired word of God
I’m mean all even the books and chapters the tradition of men under king James deemed to be chose arbitrarily to be rejected

have you ever read the great faith story of Susana in dan chapter 13???

my point is that is was the inspired word of God and divine revelation when it was received, when they taught it and in scripture not scripture alone

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul instructs us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Prayer is not only speaking, but more importantly, listening. Trying to understand what the Lord is saying can be a challenge, but reading the Bible, cover to cover, can help us do that.

have you read the great story of the faith of Susana? Dan chapter 13

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no it’s not against the scriptures
We all agree they are the inspired word of God
I’m mean all even the books and chapters the tradition of men under king James deemed to be chose arbitrarily to be rejected

have you ever read the great faith story of Susana in dan chapter 13???

my point is that is was the inspired word of God and divine revelation when it was received, when they taught it and in scripture not scripture alone
Little Birdy, are you taking with one hand what you are giving with the other? I think so.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kephas is Aramaic. It means rock. It is what Jesus renamed Simon.
John 1:42
He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter"[c]).
[c] is footnote: From the word for rock in Aramaic and Greek, respectively
Cephas is a transliteration of the actual word in the Greek text which is Kephas. Strong number 2786

From 2786. Képhas

Strong's Concordance
Képhas: "a rock," Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter
Original Word: Κηφᾶς, ᾶ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: Képhas
Phonetic Spelling: (kay-fas')
Definition: "a rock", Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter
Usage: Cephas (Aramaic for rock), the new name given to Simon Peter, the apostle.

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
of Aramaic origin
Definition
"a rock," Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2786: Κεφας

Κεφας, κεφα (Buttmann, 20 (18)), ὁ (Chaldean כֵּיפָא, a rock), Cephas (equivalent to Πέτρος (cf. B. D. (American edition), p. 2459)), the surname of Simon the apostle: John 1:42 (43); 1 Corinthians 1:12; 1 Corinthians 3:22; 1 Corinthians 9:5; 1 Corinthians 15:5; Galatians 2:9; and L T Tr WH also in Galatians 1:18; Galatians 2:11, 14.

Strong's Greek: 2786. Κηφᾶς (Képhas) -- "a rock," Cephas, a name given to the apostle Peter

You are particularly ignoring John 1:42
He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter"[c]).
[c] is footnote: From the word for rock in Aramaic and Greek, respectively.

Jesus renamed Simon Kephas.
Kephas is Aramaic for Rock not stone.

John, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and according to you "well versed in koine greek", says Kephas (Rock) is translated into Greek as Petros (Peter). If Petros meant stone then the Holy Spirit got it wrong.

Πέτρος — 104x
Πέτρου — 13x
Πέτρῳ — 16x
Dictionary Aids
TDNT Reference: Peter (161x), stone (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. Peter = "a rock or a stone"

1. one of the twelve disciples of Jesus
So you have a problem with the Holy spirit then. Cephas is also Kephas is also Petros is also Peter. They all mean rock!

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Peter:

Strongs 4074

Πέτρος — 104x
Πέτρου — 13x
Πέτρῳ — 16x
Dictionary Aids
TDNT Reference: Peter (161x), stone (1x).
  1. Peter = "a rock or a stone"

1. one of the twelve disciples of Jesus.

Rock (further on in this verse)

petra Πέτρος (G4074)
Greek Inflections of πέτρα πέτρα — 2x
πέτρᾳ — 2x
πέτραι — 1x
πέτραιςμ — 1x
πέτραν — 6x
πέτρας — 4x
Dictionary Aids
Vine's Expository Dictionary: rock (16x).
  1. a rock, cliff or ledge

1. a projecting rock, crag, rocky ground

2. a rock, a large stone

3. metaph. a man like a rock, by reason of his firmness and strength of soul.

Similar words describing the same substance (rocks) but mean a vast difference in size.

"Jesus is the christ, the Son of the Living god" Is th erock upon which the Church is built!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've read all the Bible, but I do not remember the details of the story you mention.

that cos the “tradition of men” under king janes deemed it unworthy by a purely arbitrary means

there are not 66 books
But many more books and more chapters and Daniel has 14 not 12

you will have go to bible gateway and select douay-rheims version then dan 13

great story of faith purity and trust in God most people never heard of!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever heard of the faith of Abraham?

of course

Now there was a man that dwelt in Babylon, and his name was Joakim:

2 And he took a wife whose name was Susanna, the daughter of Helcias, a very beautiful woman, and one that feared God.

3 For her parents being just, had instructed their daughter according to the law of Moses.

4 Now Joakim was very rich, and had an orchard near his house: and the Jews resorted to him, because he was the most honourable of them all.

5 And there were two of the ancients of the people appointed judges that year, of whom the Lord said: Iniquity came out from Babylon from the ancient judges, that seemed to govern the people.

6 These men frequented the house of Joakim, and all that had any matters of judgment came to them.

7 And when the people departed away at noon, Susanna went in, and walked in her husband's orchard.

8 And the old men saw her going in every day, and walking: and they were inflamed with lust towards her:

9 And they perverted their own mind and turned away their eyes that they might not look unto heaven, nor remember just judgments.

10 So they were both wounded with the love of her, yet they did not make known their grief one to the other:

11 For they were ashamed to declare to one another their lust, being desirous to have to do with her.

12 And they watched carefully every day to see her. And one said to the other:

13 Let us now go home, for it is dinner time. So going out they departed one from another.

14 And turning back again, they came both to the same place: and asking one another the cause, they acknowledged their lust; and then they agreed upon a time, when they might find her alone.

15 And it fell out, as they watched a fit day, she went in on a time, as yesterday and the day before, with two maids only, and was desirous to wash herself in the orchard: for it was hot weather.

16 And there was nobody there, but the two old men that had hid themselves and were beholding her.

17 So she said to the maids: Bring me oil, and washing balls, and shut the doors of the orchard, that I may wash me.

18 And they did as she bade them: and they shut the doors of the orchard, and went out by a back door to fetch what she had commanded them, and they knew not that the elders were hid within.

19 Now when the maids were gone forth, the two elders arose, and ran to her, and said:

20 Behold the doors of the orchard are shut, and nobody seeth us, and we are in love with thee: wherefore consent to us, and lie with us.

21 But if thou wilt not, we will bear witness against thee, that a young man was with thee, and therefore thou didst send away thy maids from thee.

22 Susanna sighed, and said: I am straitened on every side: for if I do this thing, it is death to me: and if I do it not, I shall not escape your hands.

23 But it is better for me to fall into your hands without doing it, than to sin in the sight of the Lord.

24 With that Susanna cried out with a loud voice: and the elders also cried out against her.

25 And one of them ran to the door of the orchard, and opened it.

26 So when the servants of the house heard the cry in the orchard, they rushed in by the back door to see what was the matter.

27 But after the old men had spoken, the servants were greatly ashamed: for never had there been any such word said of Susanna. And on the next day,

28 When the people were come to Joakim her husband, the two elders also came full of wicked device against Susanna, to put her to death.

29 And they said before the people: Send to Susanna daughter of Helcias the wife of Joakim. And presently they sent.

30 And she came with her parents, and children, and all her kindred.

31 Now Susanna was exceeding delicate, and beautiful to behold.

32 But those wicked men commanded that her face should be uncovered, (for she was covered,) that so at least they might be satisfied with her beauty.

33 Therefore her friends and all her acquaintance wept.

34 But the two elders rising up in the midst of the people, laid their hands upon her head.

35 And she weeping looked up to heaven, for her heart had confidence in the Lord.

36 And the elders said: As we walked in the orchard alone, this woman came in with two maids, and shut the doors of the orchard, and sent away the maids from her.

37 Then a young man that was there hid came to her, and lay with her.

38 But we that were in a corner of the orchard, seeing this wickedness, ran up to them, and we saw them lie together.

39 And him indeed we could not take, because he was stronger than us, and opening the doors he leaped out:

40 But having taken this woman, we asked who the young man was, but she would not tell us: of this thing we are witnesses.

41 The multitude believed them as being the elders and the judges of the people, and they condemned her to death.

42 Then Susanna cried out with a loud voice, and said: O eternal God, who knowest hidden things, who knowest all things before they come to pass,

43 Thou knowest that they have borne false witness against me: and behold I must die, whereas I have done none of these things, which these men have maliciously forged against me.

44 And the Lord heard her voice.

45 And when she was led to be put to death, the Lord raised up the holy spirit of a young boy, whose name was Daniel.

46 And he cried out with a loud voice I am clear from the blood of this woman.

47 Then all the people turning themselves towards him, said: What meaneth this word that thou hast spoken?

48 But he standing in the midst of them, said: Are ye so foolish, ye children of Israel, that without examination or knowledge of the truth, you have condemned a daughter of Israel?

49 Return to judgment, for they have borne false witness against her.

50 So all the people turned again in haste, and the old men said to him: Come, and sit thou down among us, and shew it us: seeing God hath given thee the honour of old age.

51 And Daniel said to the people: Separate these two far from one another, and I will examine them.

52 So when they were put asunder one from the other, he called one of them, and said to him: O thou that art grown old in evil days, now are thy sins come out, which thou hast committed before:

53 In judging unjust judgments, oppressing the innocent, and letting the guilty to go free, whereas the Lord saith: The innocent and the just thou shalt not kill.

54 Now then, if thou sawest her, tell me under what tree thou sawest them conversing together. He said: Under a mastic tree.

55 And Daniel said: Well hast thou lied against thy own head: for behold the angel of God having received the sentence of him, shall cut thee in two.

56 And having put him aside, he commanded that the other should come, and he said to him: O thou seed of Chanaan, and not of Juda, beauty hath deceived thee, and lust hath perverted thy heart:

57 Thus did you do to the daughters of Israel, and they for fear conversed with you: but a daughter of Juda would not abide your wickedness.

58 Now therefore tell me, under what tree didst thou take them conversing together. And he answered: Under a holm tree.

59 And Daniel said to him: Well hast thou also lied against thy own head: for the angel of the Lord waiteth with a sword to cut thee in two, and to destroy you.

60 With that all the assembly cried out with a loud voice, and they blessed God, who saveth them that trust in him.

61 And they rose up against the two elders, (for Daniel had convicted them of false witness by their own mouth,) and they did to them as they had maliciously dealt against their neighbour,

62 To fulfill the law of Moses: and they put them to death, and innocent blood was saved in that day.

63 But Helcias and his wife praised God, for their daughter Susanna, with Joakim her husband, and all her kindred, because there was no dishonesty found in her.

64 And Daniel became great in the sight of the people from that day, and thenceforward.

65 And king Astyages was gathered to his fathers, and Cyrus the Persian received his kingdom.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cephas is also Kephas is also Petros is also Peter. They all mean rock!

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

"Jesus is the christ, the Son of the Living god" Is th erock upon which the Church is built!

Excellent. You finally got there.
What took you so long?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
‘Is the word of God only found in scripture?’
Ahhh, a little insinuation here, a little doubt thrown in there. This tactic is not new .....’did God say.....?’
First you undermine the credibility before planting the poison. We know where that source comes from!
Amen