Were they Jesus's siblings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 are called His "ἀδελφοί" (sing. ἀδελφός adelphos; pl. ἀδελφοὶ adelphoi) and "αδελφαι" (sing. ἀδελφή adelphē; pl. αδελφαι adelphai), translated to "brothers" and "sisters" in English. The aforementioned Koine Greek words have multiple definitions, e.g., "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "a near kinsman/kinswoman, or relative," etc.

The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 shows the meaning "a near kinsman/kinswoman, or relative" applies to Jesus's brothers and sisters. However, a kinsman/kinswoman/relative can be a sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, etc., and information needed to determine the type of kinship that applies here is lacking in those same verses.

I've shown below the type of kinship Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were to Him.
This was accomplished primarily by identifying James.

Early Christian and Scriptural References

I. "Mary the wife of Cleophas or Alphaeus (Clopas), who was the mother of James the bishop and apostle, and of Simon and Thaddeus (Jude/Judas), and of one Joseph." (Papias of Hierapolis [c. 60–130 AD], Fragments of Papias, Frag. 10, cf. Jn. 19:25)

II. "...James, who is called the brother of the Lord ... as appears to me, the son of Mary sister of the mother of our Lord ... after ordained by the apostles bishop of Jerusalem, wrote a single epistle, which is reckoned among the seven Catholic epistles" (cf. Jud. 1:1) and "...Mary who is described as the mother of James the Less was the wife of Alphaeus and sister of Mary the Lord's mother" (Jerome of Stridon [c. 347–420 CE], De Viris Illustribus, De Perpetua Uirginitate Beatae Mariae, cf. Jn. 19:25)

III. Eusebius of Caesarea [c. 260–340 AD] relates the following in his Historia Ecclesiastica:

James, the brother of the Lord, was the "...author of the first of the so-called catholic epistles" and that while it is disputed, "as is the case likewise with the epistle that bears the name of Jude, which is also one of the seven so-called catholic epistles," it is known they have been "...read publicly in very many churches." (Bk. I, ch. 23, cf. Jud. 1:1)

"James ... surnamed the Just ... bishop of the church of Jerusalem. This James was called the brother of the Lord..." and "Paul also makes mention of the same James the Just, where he writes, 'Other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.'" (Bk. II, ch. 1)

"...those of the apostles and disciples of the Lord ... with those that were related to the Lord according to the flesh ... pronounced Symeon (Simon), the son of Clopas ... to be worthy of the episcopal throne of that parish. He was a cousin, as they say, of the Saviour. For Hegesippus records that Clopas was a brother of Joseph." (Bk. III, ch. 11)

"Josephus, at least, has not hesitated to testify this in his writings, where he says, 'These things happened to the Jews to avenge James the Just, who was a brother of Jesus, that is called the Christ.'" (Bk. II, ch. 23)

"...the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James" (Flavius Josephus [c. 37-100 CE], Antiquitates Iudaicae, Bk. XX, ch. 9)

"...James the Just bishop of Jerusalem" and "...but there were two Jameses: one called the Just ... thrown from the pinnacle of the temple ... and beaten to death with a club by a fuller, and another who was beheaded." (Bk. II, ch. 1) (Clement of Alexandria [c. 150–215 AD], Hypotyposes, Bk. VII, cf. Ac. 12:1-2)

"...James the brother of the Lord, succeeded to the government of the Church ... called the Just ..." (Bk. II, ch. 23) and "after James the Just had suffered martyrdom ... Symeon (Simon), the son of the Lord's uncle, Clopas, was appointed the next bishop ... because he was a cousin of the Lord." (Bk. III, ch. 22) (Hegesippus [c. 110-180 AD], Hypomnemata)

Additional Scriptural Support

The teaching that Mary of Cleophas/Clopas (Alphaeus) was the mother of Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus (Cleophas/Clopas), as well as the sister-in-law of Jesus's mother, Mary of Joseph, can be further supported by these verses:

"his (Jesus's) mother's sister, Mary of Cleophas" (Jn. 19:25)
"Mary, mother of James" (Mk. 16:1)
"Mary of James" (Lk. 24:10)
"Mary, mother of James and Joseph" (Matt. 27:56)
"Mary, mother of James the Less and Joseph" (Mk. 15:40)

If, at the very least, you agree that "James" in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 63 and the apostle "James" in Gal. 1:19 were the same person,
consider the following about two of the twelve apostles named "James:"
Apostle James, son of Zebedee, whose brother [sibling] was Apostle John, and their mother is only known to have been the mother of "the sons of Zebedee." It's indisputable that of the two, this James-apostle doesn't correlate with the "James" in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and Gal. 1:19. (Matt. 4:21;20:20;27:56, Mk. 1:19;3:17;10:35, Lk. 5:10, Ac. 12:1-2)

Apostle James, son of Alphaeus, whose brothers [siblings] were Apostle Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) and Joseph. It's indisputable that of the two, this James-apostle correlates more with "James" in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and Gal. 1:19. (Matt. 10:3, Mk. 3:18, Lk. 6:15-16, Ac. 1:13)

Summary

Papias of Hierapolis [c. 60–130 AD] indicated "Apostle James of Alphaeus" and "James the bishop of Jerusalem" were the same person, as well as the brother [sibling] of Simon, Joseph, and Jude (Judas/Thaddeus), and that these four were the sons of Mary and Alphaeus (Cleophas/Clopas). (Fragments of Papias, Frag. 10)

Jerome of Stridon [c. 347–420 CE] indicated "James the bishop of Jerusalem," "James the brother of the Lord," "James the Less," and the "author of the Epistle of James," were the same person. He also said this James was the son of Jesus's mother's sister, Mary the wife of Alphaeus (Cleophas/Clopas, cf. Jn. 19:25), which coincides with Papias's testimony, and thus Jerome would've known he was Apostle James of Alphaeus as well. (De Viris Illustribus, De Perpetua Uirginitate Beatae Mariae)

Eusebius of Caesarea [c. 260–340 AD] indicated "James the bishop of Jerusalem," "James the brother of the Lord," "James the Just," and the "author of the Epistle of James," were the same person. He also said, "Apostle Paul makes mention of the same James the Just, where he writes, 'Other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.'" (Historia Ecclesiastica, Bk. I, ch. 23, Bk. II, ch. 1)

Clement of Alexandria [c. 150–215 AD] indicated "James the bishop of Jerusalem" and "James the Just" were the same person. (Hypotyposes, Bk. VII)

Flavius Josephus [c. 37-100 CE] indicated "James the brother of the Lord" and "James the Just" were the same person. (Antiquitates Iudaicae, Bk. XX, ch. 9)

Hegesippus [c. 110-180 AD] indicated "James the brother of the Lord" and "James the Just" were the same person. (Hypomnemata)

The scriptural verses and crossover agreement between all my sources, even if not every surname is listed by each individual source, collectively show that James in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3;apostle James of Alphaeus; James the Less; James the Just; James the bishop of Jerusalem; James "the brother of the Lord;" and the author of the Epistle of James were the same person, and the son of Joseph's brother, Alphaeus, and his wife Mary of Cleophas (Clopas/Alpaheus), and thus he and his siblings Simon, Joseph, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's cousins.​

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is there some scriptural reason why Jesus could not have had siblings who were the children of Mary and Joseph?

Is there a reason why some insist that these siblings were merely "brethren" or "cousins"?

The only reason would be to support the doctrine of the perpetual virginity of Mary. Nowhere do the scriptures say that Mary was "ever virgin". In Jewish life children were seen as a blessing from God, so the scriptures plainly state that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary (his wife) until after Jesus was born, (Matt 1:25) eliminating all possibility that he was the biological son of Joseph (though he was accepted as the father of Jesus because his wife gave birth to a child which he was also chosen by God to raise.)

Matt 13:54-56...
"After coming into his home territory, he began to teach them in their synagogue, so that they were astounded and said: “Where did this man get this wisdom and these powerful works? 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Where, then, did he get all of this?”

This is a clear statement about the family of Joseph ("the carpenter") who, by the time of Jesus' death had apparently died. Just before he breathed his last breaths, Jesus entrusted the care of his mother to the apostle John, because his siblings were not yet believers. He would not have had to do that as the eldest son, if his father had been alive.

Luke 2:7 also states that Mary "gave birth to her son, the firstborn, and she wrapped him in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the lodging place."
There is no scriptural reason to add to what the Bible says about this.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know, Sigma. Everyone whom believed on the Lord Jesus, Christ is known as a brother and sister, adopted with the Father in heaven taking us in as his children.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know, Sigma. Everyone whom believed on the Lord Jesus, Christ is known as a brother and sister, adopted with the Father in heaven taking us in as his children.

There's those who also believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56 and Mk. 6:3-4 were His siblings. That belief is challenged in the OP.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are those who also believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeuss) and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56 and Mk. 6:3-4 were His siblings. The OP challenges that belief.
Oh okay. Maybe this well help, understand, Sigma.

Mark 3:33-35 English Standard Version 2016 (ESV)
And he answered them, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.”

Reactions: Rockerduck

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesnt Makes sense to fight over stuff like this. You can do what you want though.

Reactions: Pearl

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigma I understand where you’re coming from but people are just sharing what they believe. I don’t care if people believe Jesus had a brother or a sister or a mother in the end they’re going to believe what they’re going to believe therefore, it’s useless to fight and allow them to be even after you present your case, thanks for the reply and God bless you

Jesus said anyone that was willing to do the will of God is his mother brother sister, so that’s what I believe really

It’s an every single one of our nature to fight, especially over beliefs

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The teaching Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and the unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3 were Jesus's siblings is heretical because it's untrue, as the OP shows.
Except he has not shown that those described as Jesus's brother weren't his brothers.
The word used, as he says has different meaning and the meaning is determined by its context. The context shows they were his brothers.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Technically' Jesus had half brothers and sisters. In actuality, Jesus had no relatives at all.
Not true, he was born into a family, he had a father ( not bio.ogical but still legal his father ), he had a mother as well as brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles aunts possible even grandparents.
All because he was born.

Then as Christians we are all his brothers and sister, Co heirs with him.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true, he was born into a family, he had a father ( not bio.ogical but still legal his father ), he had a mother as well as brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles aunts possible even grandparents.
All because he was born.

Then as Christians we are all his brothers and sister, Co heirs with him.
like I said , technically. Yes had an earthy family, but no equal in Heaven and Earth., including those of us that are Born from above in Jesus Christ. Although we are Joint heirs, He has the name above all names.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context shows they were his brothers.

The words "brother" and "sister" have multiple definitions, e.g., "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman," etc. The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 does show the meaning "kinsman," e.g., sibling, cousin, nephew, uncle, etc., applies to Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters. However, information that can help determine the type of kinship between Jesus and those kinsmen and kinswomen is lacking in those same verses.

In the opening post, I've provided evidence that confirms Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 were Jesus's brothers, as in kinsmen, and shows that the type of kinship between them and Jesus was that of cousins, not siblings as you believe. This was accomplished primarily by identifying James.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Sigma, do you think there is just some information in the bible that we do not have?

Reactions: Nancy

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the same as anyone whose children are by a different father, but same mother.

What evidence do you have that shows Mary of Joseph was the mother of Jesus's alleged half-brothers and half-sisters?

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Normally when someone - adopts someone they become their step child (they have step-brothers; step-sisters.)

In a sense the Father adopts people as his children through Jesus, and are heirs of christ if they suffer with him, @Sigma.