Kingdom culture

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have been meaning to start this thread since the weekend…… better late than never !
I was reading a post by @auntyJane and the following quote got me thinking ……..

“ I’m sorry if I came off as arrogant...but I'm an Aussie and we don't beat around the bush or tip-toe around people's feelings...we cut right to the chase and want to tell it like it is. We are often accused of being rude....but its just honesty, not dressed up as something else, just raw truth. Raw things sometimes need chewing.”

I have AuntyJanes permission to use her quote

I was reminded of Paul’s words where he relayed that there is now no Greek, Jew, male, female ect ……should our cultural traits come under the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit when we come to faith, can we, or should we, use our cultural norms as excuses in how we deal with, communicate ect with others. ………..often as not our cultural norms are so fixed into our attitudes that we perhaps do not notice them……

What should the cultural norm be ‘ In the Kingdom ‘ ….

I have been trying to think about how my Britishness comes across …I am sure it must …….fire away if you see any traits that I need to think about !!

Just curious …..
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rita, I read 1 Thessalonians 5:11–25 this morning in my Daily Bread notes and remembered a question posted on a different site, 'What makes a good forum?' To me this passage is the answer and as to your post I believe that wherever we are from this passage, as well as other similar passages, apply to all Christians at all times.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Rita, I read 1 Thessalonians 5:11–25 this morning in my Daily Bread notes and remembered a question posted on a different site, 'What makes a good forum?' To me this passage is the answer and as to your post I believe that wherever we are from this passage, as well as other similar passages, apply to all Christians at all times.
Great passage Pearl xx
Thank you

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been meaning to start this thread since the weekend…… better late than never !

“ I’m sorry if I came off as arrogant...but I'm an Aussie and we don't beat around the bush or tip-toe around people's feelings...we cut right to the chase and want to tell it like it is. We are often accused of being rude....but its just honesty, not dressed up as something else, just raw truth. Raw things sometimes need chewing.”

I was reminded of Paul’s words where he relayed that there is now no Greek, Jew, male, female ect ……should our cultural traits come under the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit when we come to faith, can we, or should we, use our cultural norms as excuses in how we deal with, communicate ect with others. ………..often as not our cultural norms are so fixed into our attitudes that we perhaps do not notice them……

I have been trying to think about how my Britishness comes across …I am sure it must …….fire away if you see any traits that I need to think about !!

Just curious …..
Rita
I think we are all under the same admonishion, that the love chapter, and the fruit of the Spirit show our correct lifestyle and communications. I think you are right, that we are so used to ourselves we don't pay the same attention.

I think there are strengths and weaknesses in all our different cultures. I have no complaints to offer you, only compliments!

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well... not sure if I am reading the OP properly.... but I think politeness and respect are not contained by borders.
Customs are a different issue altogether... as what we think is acceptable in our countries are not necessarily so in others.

As far as communicating with one another ... I think people are generally LESS careful how to speak behind a keyboard. I think people know when they are being rude or arrogant.

Calling a spade a spade is fine... being honest is fine... being rude is NOT fine... and that seems to be a huge problem in all forums.

I think the problem is often people try to FORCE feed us with the things they THINK we need to CHEW on. Way too many "teachers".

My little two cents worth... OK... maybe it was five cents worth... LOL

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Just curious …..
Rita
I love the Aussies. Careful for folk with stones, though. We live in glass houses, ya know?

Reactions: Aunty Jane and Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, for example, saying things because culturally it is normal to do so is that a biblical principle or a cultural one !?
Or ‘ holding back Stiff upper lip ‘ is that a biblical principle or cultural ?
Both of those things may be something we do because of where we live, or how we have been brought up, but would it be the right thing to do as a kingdom dweller……..now holding back is sometimes the right thing to do, also being open, so what would be a base line to project a kingdom cultural attitude……
Not sure I am explaining this right ! Rita

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So, for example, saying things because culturally it is normal to do so is that a biblical principle or a cultural one !?
Both of those things may be something we do because of where we live, or how we have been brought up, but would it be the right thing to do as a kingdom dweller……..now holding back is sometimes the right thing to do, also being open, so what would be a base line to project a kingdom cultural attitude……
Paul certainly didn't hold back. And if you read what the early church fathers had to say about anyone whose opinions they regarded as heresy, neither did they... nor did the Reformers... the Aussies are extremely mild and awkward compared to any of them. Maybe our culture has just shifted into the "if what you say offends me then it = hate speech" twilight zones.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I really don't think I am understanding things here.... I THINK you are looking for this answer.... Kingdom Culture states we are to love each other.... bear each other's burdens... be kind... patient... long-suffering... encouraging = loving in how we communicate with each other.

What is happening in the forums is often NOT that... but rather people just WANTING to be heard.... at all costs... Too much effort is going in pumping out the facts... and nil effort is going into the people being preached AT.

For me... the issue is trust... that is my personal issue.... I feel/believe I am probably one of the more transparent contributors here... I am not afraid to share my heart... my life... or my issues. It's easy for me to do so.... and what I state on open forum is for all eyes.

When it comes to responding to certain personalities I have deemed as arrogant...( my personal pet peeve )... I am a CLOSED BOOK for them... I do not even acknowledge their existence ( me being BRUTALLY HONEST )... I shut down on many people... and once that happens.... my problem is that I am never able to open up again. I am truly talking with Father about this because I am becoming aware that this is not good for me.

The problem is that I have done this ( shutting down on people I don't trust ) ALL my life... and I don't know how to move on from that point.

If the above is TOTALLY off topic.... and NOT what you mean... then I am sorry and you are all STUCK with an ADDY spillage of feelings... lol

Reactions: Truman and marks

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Paul certainly didn't hold back. And if you read what the early church fathers had to say about anyone whose opinions they regarded as heresy, neither did they... nor did the Reformers... the Aussies are extremely mild and awkward compared to any of them. Maybe our culture has just shifted into the "if what you say offends me then it = hate speech" twilight zones.
Good point…..

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Just curious …..
Rita
Thanks for posting this Rita...it is very good food for thought.
I know that culturally we are all born into certain ways and attitudes that might make us insensitive or even oversensitive to other people’s feelings. In this day and age particularly, when it is an “offence to offend”....I think we have to take our leadership from Jesus and the apostles.

In Jewish culture, it was right and proper to state the truth because a person’s response was their problem. Jesus at times said things that offended people greatly, but that did not stop him from speaking what he believed needed to be said. But as one who could read hearts and thoughts, Jesus was able to discern what response was needed on any particular occasion. For example, when he addressed the Pharisees, he did not hold back, but basically let them have it on many occasions. Were their feelings hurt? You betcha...enough to want to kill him!
Yet to those who were regretful sinners he could be meek and approachable, speaking kindly to those “lost sheep” to whom he was sent, not to condone their sins, but to bring them to repentance and to attain God’s forgiveness. There was “a time to speak and a time to remain silent”....is the truth concerned with our feelings? Do we give them too much importance when perceived insults or rudeness were never intended. Can we not recognise these cultural differences and simply overlook them?

We do not have Jesus’ ability to read hearts or minds....all we have is written words on a screen without tone of voice or body language to balance out the conversations. Sometimes something said ‘matter of factly’ can be taken as rude or insulting, depending on the culture in which we were raised. If there was no intention to offend, but to merely speak the truth, then I would apply Ecclesiastes 7:9...
“Do not be quick to take offense, for the taking of offense lodges in the bosom of fools.”

So from my perspective, raised in the Aussie culture of telling it like it is....if there was no offence intended, then is the one offended being a bit precious about their own sensibilities? When did it become an “offence to offend”? When did people start getting the vapours over something that was said when no offence was intended? Why can’t we speak our truth without treading on eggshells? Who put down those eggshells anyway?

When we are slapped, aren’t we supposed to “turn the other cheek”?
Whatever happened to “sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me”? This was the world I grew up in. When did our backbone become our wishbone? Why are people crippled by their feelings? When did feelings become dictators?

Do we need to recognise and understand that people from different cultures express themselves in different ways and that we should just get over ourselves, and converse about the topic rather than the offence taken?

I am not easily offended which is a by product of my culture as well...we can dish it out but we can cop it as well....

What part should feelings play when the last days are bearing down on all of us and we need to get our act together in order to survive the catastrophe that is looming.....what good are feelings when they get in the way of our understanding the need to get real about where we are in the steam of time....?

Just my few cents worth.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rita

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't think I am understanding things here.... I THINK you are looking for this answer.... Kingdom Culture states we are to love each other.... bear each other's burdens... be kind... patient... long-suffering... encouraging = loving in how we communicate with each other.

What is happening in the forums is often NOT that... but rather people just WANTING to be heard.... at all costs... Too much effort is going in pumping out the facts... and nil effort is going into the people being preached AT.

For me... the issue is trust... that is my personal issue.... I feel/believe I am probably one of the more transparent contributors here... I am not afraid to share my heart... my life... or my issues. It's easy for me to do so.... and what I state on open forum is for all eyes.

When it comes to responding to certain personalities I have deemed as arrogant...( my personal pet peeve )... I am a CLOSED BOOK for them... I do not even acknowledge their existence ( me being BRUTALLY HONEST )... I shut down on many people... and once that happens.... my problem is that I am never able to open up again. I am truly talking with Father about this because I am becoming aware that this is not good for me.

The problem is that I have done this ( shutting down on people I don't trust ) ALL my life... and I don't know how to move on from that point.

If the above is TOTALLY off topic.... and NOT what you mean... then I am sorry and you are all STUCK with an ADDY spillage of feelings... lol

Thank you for sharing your heart.

It was well needed thank you, Addy.

My life isn’t where it needs to be at the moment and it makes me depressed to some degree and am disappointed and dissatisfied by my choices that have lead me down this path which is always involving drugs which am sober now.

Sometimes I can become passionate with the things that other people reject because they believe is would be crazy to believe, and it’s a fault in myself.

Some of the things I dislike in myself living in this body of flesh is when am not really being considerate of others and their situations because of my own ways of not caring which comes all from my flesh. So my depression is there, however am hoping things get better once am able to pass a drug test and finally get back on my two feet.

Miss being around people at work, and wish I had a job to help take care of other people because I do love people just on here when it comes to certain topics I can be very passionate about and people do hate that about me and I hate it about myself too.

God is good and he will help if you let him work on your heart and mind, and be patient waiting on Him but also living by the spirit worshiping God in spirit and truth.

Without faith it’s impossible to please God; faith on the Lord Jesus Christ makes you a child of God who is loved by the Father and no one or thing can separate one from this love. Except yourself.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

No, not off topic…..it’s kind of two sided, but I wasn’t just talking about the forum. Do I reflect Jesus at work, when I am with friends, or when I am on the forum. Culturally many British people can be busy bodies, nosey, gossipy ……at work I can be like that , but was Jesus like that, no. So I show my worldly cultural side more in that arena……
On here that side doesn’t show itself much.
Jesus wasn’t arrogant, but he would put his point across in strong and direct ways at times…….but he knew the truth completely and knew the true state of the people he addressed. So, maybe, that’s what makes the difference in this environment. None of us are Jesus, all knowing, but sometimes we think we are !
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Aunty Jane , for some reason I can’t quote your post.
Thank you for your very apt response, I agree xx

I have been wondering how Jesus would act within the ‘ woke ‘ and ‘ Politically correct ‘ and ‘ cancel culture ‘ environments in the western world right now…..it’s getting ridiculous. People losing jobs over one error of judgement or one comment. Where does forgiveness fit it !?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When comes to the question of what the kingdom culture should look like?

Would say it is living by the spirit. To have love, peace, forgiveness, mercy, patience, kindness, long suffering to any and all people that you come across it only happens when one is abiding in Christ to in which He performs all the actions listed above. It’s nothing we do; it doesn’t come from us but from Him. Without him we can do nothing, that is good. John 15:5

(I don’t get involved with politics or anything like that because this is not my home. Heaven is my home).

Reactions: Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@MatthewG , thank you for your post, sorry it won’t let me quote any of it.
Why would you hate being passionate about what you believe, isn’t that a good thing. The disciples and Jesus were passionate about what they conveyed and believed. I have always seen that as a positive attitude to have, as long as it’s tapered with a humility to listen to what others are equality passionate about and reflect on it all. Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When comes to the question of what the kingdom culture should look like?

Would say it is living by the spirit. To have love, peace, forgiveness, mercy, patience, kindness, long suffering to any and all people that you come across it only happens when one is abiding in Christ to in which He performs all the actions listed above. It’s nothing we do; it doesn’t come from us but from Him. Without him we can do nothing, that is good. John 15:5

(I don’t get involved with politics or anything like that because this is not my home. Heaven is my home).
It let me quote this post ( think my iPad is being awkward )
Agree, although I do get involved in all kinds of threads, but on a personal level I don’t lean towards politics .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it can be dogmatic and not let others have their own way. That is not healthly.

The only thing that should ever really be dogmatic is that without faith in Christ; their is no forgiveness of sins; which have been paid for already.

Everything else is subjective. Like : the last days; the return of Christ; saved by grace or saved by grace and works; is the resurrection we receive spiritual or is it physical; is it doctrinally right to tithe by demand. It’s known to my own stances on these matters for the most part but do those things

Is it about perfecting our flesh or trusting God living by faith in the spirit. There is truth to these matters but like you said to be equal and fair is a must if someone oppose and believes another way that fine if they choose that.

We all have the choices to make at the end of the day, and faith does please God, and the Son is only way to reach God.

Faith and love; not to be dogmatic on certain things and allow leeway for others to believe how they are going to and encourage to look towards God and Jesus and read the Bible for spiritual nutrition or share the word with someone because faith comes by hearing and my understanding it’s all great news when it comes to Christ.

This what all came to my head, Rita.