Partial preterisim in Revelation Chapter by chapter part 4

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Chapter 20: John sees Satan bound up so that he could not deceive the nations, a symbolic representation of the power of Christ’s sacrifice over Satan’s deception. The “first resurrection” refers to the resurrection of Jesus Christ “the firstfruits”. [1 Corinthians 15.20] Hence, the righteous dead (Rev. 14.13: “blessed are those who die in the Lord from now on”) are described as “sharing” in Christ’s resurrection and rule, in perfect correspondence to Paul’s statements in his letters. [1 Corinthians 15.22; Ephesians 2.6; Colossians 2.12-13] The “thousand years” are symbolic of the era of the Church, and the beginning of the “thousand years” corresponds to the Kingdom of God being established upon the world [Luke 21.31-32; Revelation 11.15], marked by the destruction of apostate Israel. [Matthew 21.33-46] The number 1000 is a symbolic numeral for “completion”. Thus, when the “thousand years” come to their end, the plan of God will be brought to completion. Satan will be released from his binding, bringing about a great deception. The enemies of the world (symbolized as “Gog and Magog”) will attempt to destroy the Church (symbolized as “God’s holy city”), but they will be prevented by the Second Coming of Christ. Satan will be cast into the lake of fire. Christ will sit upon his throne, and he will bring about the resurrection of the dead. All of mankind (and angels) will be judged. John sees the wicked cast into the lake of fire. Finally, John sees Death itself destroyed by Christ. After the resurrection, the final judgment, and the defeat of Death, Christ delivers the Kingdom of God up to the Father in order for it to be consummated. [1 Corinthians 15.23-28,54-55]

Chapter 21: John sees the New Jerusalem, a symbolic representation of God’s perfect Church with imagery drawn from Ezekiel’s description of Eden. [Ezekiel 28.13] Whereas the priestly garments of the Old Covenant had 12 different stones, each with a name of one of the 12 tribes engraved upon it [Exodus 28.17-21], John sees the New Jerusalem built on a foundation of 12 different stones, each with a name of the one of the 12 apostles engraved upon it. Since the New Jerusalem is the Church, it has no temple within it, because the Church is the temple of God, and God resides within the New Jerusalem. John sees that the wicked are not allowed into the New Jerusalem, corresponding to the fact that only those who believe in Christ and repent of their sins become members of the Church, which is the Body of Christ.

Chapter 22: John sees the river of life (Jesus’ salvation) flowing from the throne of God and of Jesus. He also sees the tree of life (eternal life) bearing fruit each month, corresponding to the Church’s growing numbers over time. He states that the tree’s leaves are “for the healing of the nations”, corresponding to how the gospel of Jesus Christ brings healing to mankind. John states that only the “those who wash their robes” [in the blood of Jesus: Revelation 7.14] may enter the New Jerusalem, corresponding to the fact that only those believe in Christ and repent of their sins become members of the Church, which is the Body of Christ. The New Jerusalem, as depicted in Revelation 21-22, is a present reality for the Church [Galatians 4.22-31; Hebrews 12.22], made real by the sacrifice of Christ, but it also awaits perfect fulfillment at the Second Coming of Christ.

Additional Notes: I cannot repeat it enough times: Partial preterists do not believe that the Second Coming took place in 70 AD. God had several, unique “judgment comings” throughout the Old Testament, in which God “came” and destroyed a wicked nation by using another nation as his tool of judgment. Likewise, the “coming of the Son of Man” is interpreted by partial preterists as referring to Christ’s “judgment coming” in 70 AD, in which he “came” and destroyed apostate Israel by using the Roman nation as his tool of judgment. Partial preterists do believe that the Second Coming is still in our future, in which Christ will physically return to the earth.

Partial preterism does not teach “replacement theology”, it teaches “covenant theology”. “Replacement theology” is the teaching that ethnic Israel was replaced by the Church. “Covenant theology” is the teaching that the Old Covenant was replaced by the New Covenant. The Church is considered to be the same thing as Israel. The Church/Israel consists of Christ-believing ethnic Israelites, and goes on to “graft on” Christ-believing ethnic Gentiles. Similarly, the Church/Israel “breaks off” Christ-rejecting ethnic Israelites, and excludes Christ-rejecting ethnic Gentiles.

Reactions: covenantee and APAK

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That passage makes it sound like a person only needs to choose to believe in Jesus to be saved. But as the passages from Paul cited above show, Paul believed that God has pre-selected those who will even be able to believe in Jesus.
"We know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love e the Lord, to those who are called to His purpose.
Do you notice that this does not apply to everyone? Only those who love him and are. Allen to HIS PURPOSE.

Sin distorts, causes defects, mentally, physically and spiritually. Ultimately, the wages of sin is death. God made everything and the rules as well. So it is His final judgment to destroy "both soul and spirit".

Death was necessary for us to have life. God knows that many will not choose to have a relationship with Him, but to be fair, has made every attempt to "draw all men to Himself". Obviously His drawing power can be rejected - go figure. God desires all to come to Him, but all don't.
This sin (defective nature) that we are all born with is in arable of choosing God without His active assistance and perfect plan. Since He knows (foreknowledge) the future, he knows which ones will come to Him and thos6e who will not. It was worth it to save many with the knowledge that many will be lost.

Or does the potter not have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one object for honorable use, and another for common use? Romans 9:21

He created evil too!
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Isaiah 45:7.
In that verse, evil is also translated as disaster, calamities, troubles, doom.
Sovereignty means He is in control of everything, otherwise He is not All Mighty God, which would imply that His will is uncertain. If that were true, we could not really depend on this gift He gives and hope in the future would be marginal - maybe we'll get saved, maybe we won't. Jesus says if you believe in Me you will be saved.

He put that Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden. So it was necessary so that we could know good - but it came with a price. Many would be lost.

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them. EPH. 2:8-10

GRACE > unmerited favor
Faith > a gift
He is the Author of our faith. He chose us, we are the Elect.

So either seek God through Christ or not - your choice!

My father was an atheist most of his life. He was brought up with seven sisters and parents who were Catholic. His Dad got TB when my Dad was 10 years old. My Dad got on his knees and prayed to God for his life. God said no. So my Dad decided there must not be a God and if there is, I don't want anything to do with Him. He held this grudge all his life until in his final years, came full circle, knelt down and prayed again for his own soul. God loved him all along and brought him to that point, old and weak, when he could no longer fight. Death was knocking at his door and so God finally got his attention.
But that does not work that way for everyone. Death comes unannounced sometimes. You can't just assume you'll have the same opportunity ... "I'll wait til my 80's, then open the door."