Pope meets with Muslims

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
VATICAN CITY (AP) - Catholic and Muslim representatives plan to meet in Rome in the spring to start a "historic" dialogue between the faiths after relations were soured by Pope Benedict XVI's 2006 comments about Islam and holy war, Vatican officials said. Benedict proposed the encounter as part of his official response to an open letter sent to him and other Christian leaders in October by 138 Muslim scholars from around the world. The letter urged Christians and Muslims to develop their common ground of belief in one God. Three representatives of the Muslim scholars will come to Rome in February or March to prepare for the meeting, the head of the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue, Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran, told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano this weekend. He did not give a date for the larger meeting, except to say it would take place in the spring. The agenda, he said, would cover three main topics: respect for the dignity of each person, interreligious dialogue based on reciprocal understanding, and instruction of tolerance among the young. "The meeting with a delegation of some of the 138 Muslims, planned for Rome next spring, is in a certain sense historic," Tauran was quoted by L'Osservatore as saying. Benedict angered Muslims with a speech on faith and reason in September 2006 in Germany in which he cited a medieval text that characterized some of the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad as "evil and inhuman," particularly "his command to spread by the sword the faith." The pope later said he was "deeply sorry" over the reactions to his remarks and that they did not reflect his own opinions. The Vatican has been working ever since to improve relations with moderate Islam. Thirty-eight Muslim scholars initially wrote to Benedict soon after his 2006 speech, thanking him for his clarifications and his calls for dialogue. But the Vatican never officially responded to that initiative, and a year later the number of signatories of a new letter had swelled to 138. In the letter, the Muslim scholars, muftis and intellectuals draw parallels between Islam and Christianity and their common focus on love for God and love for one's neighbor. They also note that such a focus is found in Judaism. "As Muslims and in obedience to the Holy Quran, we ask Christians to come together with us on the common essentials of our two religions," the letter says. "Let this common ground be the basis of all future interfaith dialogue between us." Noting that Christians and Muslims make up an estimated 55 percent of the world population, the scholars conclude that improving relations is the best way to bring peace to the world. Church leaders and analysts have praised the initiative, and Benedict met with one of the 138 signatories in October, when they both attended an interfaith peace meeting in Naples. But that meeting was somewhat soured when some Muslim participants complained in a communique that Benedict had neglected to comment publicly on the open letter, and over published comments by Tauran about the unwillingness of Muslims to critically discuss the Quran. The Vatican No. 2, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, followed up within a month with a formal letter on behalf of Benedict to one of the 138 signatories, Jordan's Prince Ghazi bin Muhammad bin Talal, inviting representatives of the scholars to meet with the pope. The prince, who is a special envoy to Jordan's King Abdullah II, responded by confirming the agenda of the meeting and saying three representatives of the scholars would travel to Rome in February or March to lay its groundwork.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I find it very telling that the Pope will go to all this effort to meet and talk with Muslims who follow a false god and do not believe Christ is the son of god but barely brings himself to have a cordial at best relationship with Israel. If the Pope knew the scriptures as he should he would know that it is Jews who will joined with the church under Christ not Muslims

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
There goes that evil Pope again... trying to get people to live in peace.
rolleyes.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Question is if the Pope followed scripture he would know that you dont make deals with the devil.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Reminds me of...I Thessalonians 5:3 - For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape....although this is talking about the AntichristJagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Ok kriss, Jag,Crooner,unorthodox christian, and anybody else who isn't peacebewithyou.If I walk into a muslim what as a christian should I do.A. Follow Christs words and turn the other cheek, be kind to those who hate me, pray for those who persecute me, and walk two miles in thier sandals.B. slap him in the face spit at him and tell him to go to hell.from what Ive heard you'de all pick B.all I see the pope doing here is follow Christs teachings and make peace with his enemy. and granted he may be trying to do it the wrong way, but at least he is trying to follow christs way.Seriously would you rather have him preaching death and destruction.your brother in christ Ryan Fitz

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
No I would rather have him standing up for the Word of God preaching that if they dont follow Christ they are doomed a Christian that loves his fellow man tells him the truth even if it makes him mad you dont make deals and say your beliefs are fine with me thats called the one world religion of Satan Gods Word is a two edged sword it cuts both ways like it or lump it accept Christ or suffer the consequences no luke warm compromise

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
The Pope is planning to compromise with the Muslims? I could have told you that...

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
You guys seem to want it both ways on hand you want us to believe the Pope is the chosen authority of God on earth on the other hand you want us to think its fine for this Leader to give a heads up to a false religion and a false god When Christ was on earth he cautioned his apostles not to go among the Sadducee's and Pharisees you lie down with dogs you wake up with flees kind of reasoningSo here we have according to your church the Leader of the Christian religion doing exactly what Christ himself said not to do. And wonder why we question your religion and the authority you say he has????????? Sounds like hypocrisy to me and what does God say about hypocrisy HE HATES IT no misunderstanding this scripture

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(kriss;28797)
No I would rather have him standing up for the Word of God preaching that if they dont follow Christ they are doomed a Christian that loves his fellow man tells him the truth even if it makes him mad you dont make deals and say your beliefs are fine with me thats called the one world religion of Satan Gods Word is a two edged sword it cuts both ways like it or lump it accept Christ or suffer the consequences no luke warm compromise
Amen Kriss! I love everyone, but we must do the works of Him that sent Him. We must get as many as we can get them to Christ. We can't force Truth, but we must do it in love. It is free will after all.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Ok Kriss The pope is doing it all wrong. I can't deny that. There are times that he current popes have taken peace before the word of God.but its not in hate of God, its not in denial of God, its in love of God and trying to follow his word. and I'm just sick of hearing a christian talk about another christian as If he's doomed to hell.it doesn't matter if its your next door neighboor or the pope.This is not the way God wanted it to be. His church against his church. In some ridiculous civil war.the catholics are guilty of it too.and this is where the civil war comes from, christians bashing and insulting other christians. What we don't realize is that were insulting ourselves.We are all one body, and one church, it doesnt matter what so called "denomianation we belong. could we start acting like were one church.and stop living this lie that we are 1/33,000 of the church.your brother in christ ( and it doesn't matter if your protestant, a catholic, or nondenominational.Ryan Fitz

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
According to the article posted, they are going to discuss these 3 main points: respect for the dignity of each person, interreligious dialogue based on reciprocal understanding, and instruction of tolerance among the young. How could any of that be a bad thing? If each side goes back to his own followers.. the Pope speaks to Catholics and the Muslims speak to their people encouraging peace - WHERE is the problem? And no, it's not lasting peace.. but if I put down my weapons, and you put down yours and we learn to respect each other as HUMAN BEINGS with a common Creator and teach our youth to respect each other - do you honestly think Jesus has a problem with that?Besides, why do you people care what the Pope does? You think he's practically the anti-christ. (ok, not you Kriss) but you certainly don't respect him in the least so WHY do you care who he meets with? It seems that the only people who have a right to an opinion are fellow Catholics.And we don't. We think encouraging peace is a good thing.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Letsgofishing;28807)
Ok Kriss The pope is doing it all wrong. I can't deny that. There are times that he current popes have taken peace before the word of God.but its not in hate of God, its not in denial of God, its in love of God and trying to follow his word. and I'm just sick of hearing a christian talk about another christian as If he's doomed to hell.it doesn't matter if its your next door neighboor or the pope.This is not the way God wanted it to be. His church against his church. In some ridiculous civil war.the catholics are guilty of it too.and this is where the civil war comes from, christians bashing and insulting other christians. What we don't realize is that were insulting ourselves.We are all one body, and one church, it doesnt matter what so called "denomianation we belong. could we start acting like were one church.and stop living this lie that we are 1/33,000 of the church.your brother in christ ( and it doesn't matter if your protestant, a catholic, or nondenominational.Ryan Fitz
To Muslims and other unbelievers...John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:17 - For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.John 3:18 - He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.To the pope making deals with the devil. (ie false religion and false god, and false prophet)Matthew 7:15 - Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.Matthew 16:6 - Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.We are told by Christ and Paul (II Thessalonians 2:3) not to be deceived. Why must they have to worship Him in vain? (Matthew 15:9) because they either lacking or don't care what He says.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Peacebewithyou;28813)
According to the article posted, they are going to discuss these 3 main points: respect for the dignity of each person, interreligious dialogue based on reciprocal understanding, and instruction of tolerance among the young. How could any of that be a bad thing? If each side goes back to his own followers.. the Pope speaks to Catholics and the Muslims speak to their people encouraging peace - WHERE is the problem? And no, it's not lasting peace.. but if I put down my weapons, and you put down yours and we learn to respect each other as HUMAN BEINGS with a common Creator and teach our youth to respect each other - do you honestly think Jesus has a problem with that?Besides, why do you people care what the Pope does? You think he's practically the anti-christ. (ok, not you Kriss) but you certainly don't respect him in the least so WHY do you care who he meets with? It seems that the only people who have a right to an opinion are fellow Catholics.And we don't. We think encouraging peace is a good thing.
I care because he the Leader of millions of Christains there fore he has a differnt responsability then average person struggling to get it Right If the Pope cant get the Word of God right in the simplist of things what hope does that leave for my brothers and sisters that follow his every word and that bothers me believe it or not.Again you talk out of both sides of your mouth believe us we got it right we are the authority but on the other hand what buisness is but ours if he is wrong you cant have it both ways

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
It's actually a very loving thing - the Pope speaking with the Muslim leaders and trying to find *some* common ground. He is TRYING to encourage peaceful relations. I wonder how many less Chrisitans living in Muslim countries will be murdered for their faith if the Muslims stop being so hostile thanks to their meeting with the Pope? I wonder what those Chrisitans who live in fear every single day would say about their meeting to discuss: respect for the dignity of each person, interreligious dialogue based on reciprocal understanding, and instruction of tolerance among the young. I wonder if they'd say to the Pope: Quit mixing with the Devil - forget about encouraging peace.And besides, the Muslims aren't "the devil" - that is just rude. I was once lost. Was I the "devil" also?

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(kriss;28821)
I care because he the Leader of millions of Christains there fore he has a differnt responsability then average person struggling to get it Right If the Pope cant get the Word of God right in the simplist of things what hope does that leave for my brothers and sisters that follow his every word and that bothers me believe it or not.Again you talk out of both sides of your mouth believe us we got it right we are the authority but on the other hand what buisness is but ours if he is wrong you cant have it both ways
Why specifically can he not speak to the Muslims about peace? Are we not to speak to the lost? Is that it? Or is it that they are Muslims? (the devil?) Do you know how hateful that sounds? They aren't - they are just lost. And keeping the lines of communication open are a good thing. If just ONE of the 100+ Muslim leaders were to come to Christ as a result of meeting the Pope, wouldn't that be.... dare I say it: a good thing?22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(thesuperjag;28814)
To the pope making deals with the devil. (ie false religion and false god, and false prophet)JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.
What "deals" is he making? I missed that in the article.