Protestant Leaders and the pope

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well...yes...and...no. Without 'doctrine', there would be no understanding of Jesus Christ. Doctrine is only the word used to paint in the understanding we take from scripture of the God-man we follow. Every time you think on Christ's character or sacrifice. Where he came from or went. When or how he plans to return. Anything. It's all because of scripture...which is all knitted together in doctrines. The two go together in a perfect harmony. So I'd say that if man is using the 'doctrine' of God in any way that is unholy, that is his fault. It's not that doctrine is unhelpful or unnecessary.

Yep. I agree.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I apologize, but how am I supposed to categorize your behaviour? The definition of "hate" is: "feel intense dislike for". If you put all Catholics in bed with the Nazi's, then I must assume you feel intense dislike for them. What else would I call it? You, no doubt would call it nothing but the truth. And it may have elements of truth in it. There are certainly doctrines the RCC have that I strongly disagree with. But you are not engaging directly with those doctrines, you are making over-arching, broad sweeping comments of intense dislike. So...if you have a problem with my terminology...again I apologize, but I don't know that it's me that can be at fault....

I completely agree. Although...there are reasons...good reasons, why the different denominations came to be and still are. We cannot ignore the convictions and understandings we have on particular doctrines. I'd love to say it didn't, and one day it won't. But for now there will always be a ...divide of sorts, between the Protestant and Catholic Churches on matters of Doctrine. My big point is that even if we do differ on these issues, we still gather together around our love of, and devotion to, Jesus Christ. If we cannot behave with love and a certain graciousness towards each other because of that fact...even in disagreement...then what sort of witness are we setting for the rest of the world??

Well...yes...and...no. Without 'doctrine', there would be no understanding of Jesus Christ. Doctrine is only the word used to paint in the understanding we take from scripture of the God-man we follow. Every time you think on Christ's character or sacrifice. Where he came from or went. When or how he plans to return. Anything. It's all because of scripture...which is all knitted together in doctrines. The two go together in a perfect harmony. So I'd say that if man is using the 'doctrine' of God in any way that is unholy, that is his fault. It's not that doctrine is unhelpful or unnecessary.

Thank You for your response, The differences in denominations came to be, as they did during Paul's Ministry! some say I am of Paul, some of Peter, some OF! Paul was at that time trying to get them to understand that Only One Died for them! Now the Enemy in a subtle way had caused division among the Believers, some say because one or the other taught better! So as we are hear today we have these differences, which do separate us, and cause us to be un-united, which weakens the Body as a whole, think about it, if we were united world wide what could be accomplished, through Prayer, by Our Savior. And Yes we should be Able to put aside our differences, for the better cause, and this is the division, because Leaders of other denominations will tell their flock to not listen to different peoples beliefs, kinda like, this is what we hold to, and the others hold to something that is not except-able. You Know that the Catholic's have a Pope!!! and all Protestant's have a Pope behind every Pulpit!!!? sorry but they do have a Authoritative control, and we are not to disrespect our Leaders!!!?

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
43Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a nation producing its fruit.

so i dunno, might be all God cares about. i don't see any "bring the Good Samaritans of the world to your understanding of salvation" anywhere, wadr

Christians burn as well as any other dry stick, i guess!

Yes dry wood and dry bones, they burn, in my experience. you make me LOL

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thank You for your response, The differences in denominations came to be, as they did during Paul's Ministry! some say I am of Paul, some of Peter, some OF! Paul was at that time trying to get them to understand that Only One Died for them! Now the Enemy in a subtle way had caused division among the Believers, some say because one or the other taught better! So as we are hear today we have these differences, which do separate us, and cause us to be un-united, which weakens the Body as a whole, think about it, if we were united world wide what could be accomplished, through Prayer, by Our Savior. And Yes we should be Able to put aside our differences, for the better cause, and this is the division, because Leaders of other denominations will tell their flock to not listen to different peoples beliefs, kinda like, this is what we hold to, and the others hold to something that is not except-able. You Know that the Catholic's have a Pope!!! and all Protestant's have a Pope behind every Pulpit!!!? sorry but they do have a Authoritative control, and we are not to disrespect our Leaders!!!?

Hi Truth. I'm sorry, but I don't quite catch your meaning here...could you clarify a bit? Thanks!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
next time you go into a building with a tower, where you all "speak the same language," imo the imagery should be pretty obvious to anyone who can see
Im on teh top floor of a building at work, and are from many nation, South Africa, South America, New Zealand, phillipines, Europe, etc etc only common language we have is english

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Im on teh top floor of a building at work, and are from many nation, South Africa, South America, New Zealand, phillipines, Europe, etc etc only common language we have is english
not what i had in mind, obviously, but regardless imo the fact that a human could make such an admission provides a virtual pin that we can stick in a timeline, to inform us where we are on our wave, so to speak. Scripture plainly informs us what happens to humans when they come together and build towers "to heaven," all speaking the same language

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
not what i had in mind, obviously, but regardless imo the fact that a human could make such an admission provides a virtual pin that we can stick in a timeline, to inform us where we are on our wave, so to speak. Scripture plainly informs us what happens to humans when they come together and build towers "to heaven," all speaking the same language
the problem is they dont speak teh same language, just think they do.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in another reflection, little kids get Christ no problem, they need no doctrines, right

How do you think it should work?

My issue with folks who oppose science, church, and organization in general is that they tend to remain stagnant/frozen - always the critic, never growing. As risky as it is to creata history, dogma, and chart a course - it is necessary in order for growth to occur. We are not competing with God, we are learning and growing

Reactions: Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
How do you think it should work?

My issue with folks who oppose science, church, and organization in general is that they tend to remain stagnant/frozen - always the critic, never growing. As risky as it is to creata history, dogma, and chart a course - it is necessary in order for growth to occur. We are not competing with God, we are learning and growing
i completely agree, and imo the point may be to observe doctrines (laws) for their good/beneficial/instructional qualities without becoming attached to them as some definition of absolute truth; recognize that every doctrine will fail in some regard, iow

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What Part?

Well, to be honest I wasn't quite sure at the point you were trying to make through any of it, especially this last part:

"You Know that the Catholic's have a Pope!!! and all Protestant's have a Pope behind every Pulpit!!!? sorry but they do have a Authoritative control, and we are not to disrespect our Leaders!!!?"

At the beginning you seemed to be saying that it was a shame that there was division in the Church, but it has been that way from the beginning, through incorrect teaching. I was with you there, but sort of lost track after that.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, to be honest I wasn't quite sure at the point you were trying to make through any of it, especially this last part:

"You Know that the Catholic's have a Pope!!! and all Protestant's have a Pope behind every Pulpit!!!? sorry but they do have a Authoritative control, and we are not to disrespect our Leaders!!!?"

At the beginning you seemed to be saying that it was a shame that there was division in the Church, but it has been that way from the beginning, through incorrect teaching. I was with you there, but sort of lost track after that.

'...division in the Church,..' '...through incorrect teaching.'
Also, according to Paul, through boasting in men; such as the Catholic Church boasting in Peter and the virgin Mary.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sorry I had no intentions of being disrespectful with those that Lead any Assembly. The Catholic Church as a whole follows the Pope's Authority. But, in every Protestant Church Assembly there is a person that leads that Church, and He or She is considered the Authority of that Group or Flock. Thus within all the different Denominations there are different individuals that hold a position somewhat like the Pope.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Catholics in Vancouver, BC are praying to the arm of a dead person:

Catholics flock to pray before St. Francis Xavier relic in Vancouver

Catholics flock to pray before St. Francis Xavier relic in Vancouver. Prayers to a body part.
Mark 15:43; John 19:38 – Joseph of Arimathea sought Christ’s dead body instead of leaving it with the Romans. Joseph gave veneration to our Lord’s body.

Mark 16:1; Luke 24:1 – the women came to further anoint Christ’s body even though it had been sealed in the tomb.

John 19:39 – Nicodemus donated over one hundred pounds of spices to wrap in Jesus’ grave clothes. This is also veneration of our Lord’s body.

Matt. 9:21; Mark 5:28 – the woman with the hemorrhage just sought the hem of Christ’s cloak and was cured. This shows that God uses physical things to effect the supernatural.

Acts 19:11-12 – Paul’s handkerchiefs healed the sick and those with unclean spirits. This is another example of physical things effecting physical and spiritual cures.

Acts 5:15 – Peter’s shadow healed the sick. This proves that relics of the saints have supernatural healing power, and this belief has been a part of Catholic tradition for 2,000 years.

Rev. 6:9 – the souls of the martyrs are seen beneath the heavenly altar. Their bones are often placed beneath altars in Catholic churches around the world.

2 Kings 13:21 – Elisha’s bones bring a man back to life. The saints’ bones are often kept beneath the altars of Catholic churches and have brought about supernatural cures throughout the Christian age.

Rom. 13:7; Phil. 2:25-29; Heb. 3:3; 1 Pet. 2:7 – we are taught to honor the people of God and in 1 Cor. 4:16-17; 1 Cor. 11:1-2; Phil. 3:17; 1 Thess. 1:6; 2 Thess. 3:7; Heb. 6:12; Heb. 13:7; James 5:10-11 – we are reminded to imitate them. Keeping relics of the saints serves both to honor and imitate their heroic faith in Christ (just as keeping articles of deceased loved ones helps us honor and imitate them).

Triumph is to full of prejudice to grasp these biblical concepts, so he tries to smear Catholic practices with his fundie ignorance.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All these scriptures are connected to Jesus Christ and not to some guy who died 500 years ago
who is 8 feet under pushing daisies.....

You make a mockery out of Jesus Christ.

You are worshipping an arm in a plastic box.

Reactions: brakelite