The Gift of Discerning of Spirits

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happy Tuesday to my beautiful brothers and sisters in Christ!

Just sharing this week's discussion titled "What is the Gift of Discernment?"
YouTube/ Spotify/ iTunes.

Here are some of the talking points in case this is a topic that interests you:
  • What is a gift of the spirit?
  • What is discernment?
  • Divination Vs. Discernment
  • Do you operate in the gift of discernment?
Discerning of spirits is a wonderful, God-given gift to identify what is and is not of God. While it does, through the grace of God, give the believer insight into the activities of the enemy, the primary role is less about what the enemy is doing and more about what GOD is doing to edify the body of Christ!

If you operate in this gift, I would love to hear about your experiences!

Note: As I have always said, I'm not soliciting for anything (well..maybe just a kind word here and there and sharing the Word with each other). The information provided available to anyone who wants it at no cost. Just doing what I believe God is calling me to do right now and that's help bring understanding and deliverance to the children of God. Everything is 100% Bible-based and I'm happy to back up anything said with scripture :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happy Tuesday to my beautiful brothers and sisters in Christ!

Just sharing this week's discussion titled "What is the Gift of Discernment?"
YouTube/ Spotify/ iTunes.

Here are some of the talking points in case this is a topic that interests you:
  • What is a gift of the spirit?
  • What is discernment?
  • Divination Vs. Discernment
  • Do you operate in the gift of discernment?
Discerning of spirits is a wonderful, God-given gift to identify what is and is not of God. While it does, through the grace of God, give the believer insight into the activities of the enemy, the primary role is less about what the enemy is doing and more about what GOD is doing to edify the body of Christ!

If you operate in this gift, I would love to hear about your experiences!

Hello Misty, and greetings in Christ.

I listened on Youtube, and it seems fairly well presented. I may have one point of disagreement with you, however, and that is that interpretation of dreams and visions would be classified for some as simply discernment. I think discernment is certainly involved (it always will be in interpretation), but if the Lord reveals something to you through a dream or vision it is actually a manifestation of the prophetic. Some say the prophetic is purely predictive, and I know others who teach that true New Testament prophesy is no longer predictive at all. My personal opinion is that it can be predictive but also revelatory, such as when involving the discernment of spirits; sometimes it can be one or the other, and most often times both.

But Joel 2:28 suggests in context that dreams and visions are actually at the heart of how the prophetic operates and will be the end-times, so we may disagree a little bit on the notion that interpreting them, for anyone really, would simply be a matter of operating in spiritual discernment.

Just thought I'd add my two cents, and let you know I watched your video and found it pretty solid.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

Reactions: dev553344

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Misty, and greetings in Christ.

I listened on Youtube, and it seems fairly well presented. I may have one point of disagreement with you, however, and that is that interpretation of dreams and visions would be classified for some as simply discernment. I think discernment is certainly involved (it always will be in interpretation), but if the Lord reveals something to you through a dream or vision it is actually a manifestation of the prophetic. Some say the prophetic is purely predictive, and I know others who teach that true New Testament prophesy is no longer predictive at all. My personal opinion is that it can be predictive but also revelatory, such as when involving the discernment of spirits; sometimes it can be one or the other, and most often times both.

But Joel 2:28 suggests in context that dreams and visions are actually at the heart of how the prophetic operates and will be the end-times, so we may disagree a little bit on the notion that interpreting them, for anyone really, would simply be a matter of operating in spiritual discernment.

Just thought I'd add my two cents, and let you know I watched your video and found it pretty solid.

God bless,
Hidden In Him
Thank you so much for taking time to listen and give us feedback! You have no idea how much that is appreciated.
I would agree with you that dreams and visions are largely prophetic in nature (and many prophets have the gift of discernment)l; however, I would add one point. The Word does say that in these end times, there will be dreaming of dreams and seeing visions. I know, myself, I have seen visions and dreams regarding the activities of God and the plans of the enemy. In that regard, it is related to the spirit of discernment (or at least in my interpretation).

I don't claim to have perfect knowledge (only God does). That is why it is so important for the body of Christ to have these kinds of discussions. Iron sharpens iron, and the insights you have been given by the Holy Spirit are wholeheartedly welcome as we all continue to grow in Christ :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, myself, I have seen visions and dreams regarding the activities of God and the plans of the enemy. In that regard, it is related to the spirit of discernment (or at least in my interpretation).

Ok, that much we can agree on. :)

So are you active on some of the other forums also? If not I could send you a run down of where else you might consider posting.

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, that much we can agree on. :)

So are you active on some of the other forums also? If not I could send you a run down of where else you might consider posting.
A few reddit ones. I would love to have your list.
By the way, as an objective 3rd party who has listened to the podcast, if you have any constructive criticism (i.e. did you find anything boring or it would have been better if we did something a different way, etc.) Some day, we'd like to be live on the video so you can actually see me giving my mother a hard time, haha!
Just curious!
Have a wonderful day!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the way, as an objective 3rd party who has listened to the podcast, if you have any constructive criticism (i.e. did you find anything boring or it would have been better if we did something a different way, etc.) Some day, we'd like to be live on the video so you can actually see me giving my mother a hard time, haha!

Actually that was going to be my first piece of advice is that it really isn't hurting anything with the set screen you have. Watching people's facial expressions and appearance can sometimes be a distraction from the message. I'd definitely do some videos where people can see you so they know who they are listening to as followers, but on more important messages, or when you want to do a lot of editing, set screen is working just fine.

As for the rest, between the two of you it seems to move pretty fast and there's not a lot of dead air. If anything, your mother is very clear. You can sometimes be a little harder to make out, so maybe focus on your articulation a little more. It's not glaring or anything, so keep things natural and all. But I just remember a few times where I had to get used to your voice to make out what you were saying. :)

Give me a second. I'll send you a list.

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, the funny thing is, mom will tell you that she thinks her accent makes her harder to understand and I think she comes through fine. I am originally from NE Maryland so I have to fight my Marylander accent. I usually start out really well and then, when I get comfortable with the conversation tend to slip into not enunciating the ends of my words. As a singer, I've had to focus on doing just that so I need to keep reminding myself to be clear and succinct!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So that's what that is. :p

LOL yep. We're about to upgrade some of our equipment as well so each of us will have our own mic. Right now, we're sharing a mic which inevitably means one of us is louder than the other based on where we're sitting, makes it impossible to edit out some things if we both start talking at the same time, etc.
Really appreciate your insight!
p.s. May be a couple weeks before I can implement your suggestion. We've recorded two weeks in advance since mom is going on vacation (lucky her).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You know, the funny thing is, mom will tell you that she thinks her accent makes her harder to understand and I think she comes through fine. I am originally from NE Maryland so I have to fight my Marylander accent. I usually start out really well and then, when I get comfortable with the conversation tend to slip into not enunciating the ends of my words. As a singer, I've had to focus on doing just that so I need to keep reminding myself to be clear and succinct!
Hi @Misty Williams I think the Maryland panhandle accent is rather different from the one more common in Baltimore/Chesapeake ..... :)

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in Cecil County, about 50 miles NE of Baltimore, right near the Delaware line in a little town called Elkton. My grandmother raised me and she was from Western Maryland, so that may be where I picked up a lot of it.

One thing I've been told is I talk fast, very common for northerners. We used to push words together and remove some consonants in between haha. Like "I don't give" would be "I-own-give" pronounced phonetically. I know when I first started singing, I would hear myself not finishing words, like "more" was coming out "mow". I need to slow my speech just a bit so I can get entire words out haha!

p.s. I told mom what was said on here and she is flabbergasted! She said, "Misty I have a hic accent, how could anyone understand what I'm saying". She is such a goofball :D