Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think that reading any translation of the bible is a complete waste of time unless you intend doing what it says.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Probably too late for me - have read/studied the lovely KJV for 43 years, so have
already updated the archaic language for myself. Now I just simply keep reading,
studying, and believing/living by:

"Every Word That Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth Of God!" Amen?

GRACE And Peace...

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.
What concerns me about different translations of the Bible is if they are using the KJV as their source....meaning if there is an error in translation then the next translation includes that error and more than likely adds additional errors.
Example if the NIV was published to make reading the KJV easier to understand in our modern tongue and they didn't use the original source to translate then all they did was created an easy read Bible full of errors.
Jm2c

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed, especially with misleading statements like this:

"The New King James Version is not a strict update of the KJV, for it was
re-translated from the original languages and differs from the KJV in places."

GRACE And Peace...
Exactly, all the world needs these days is another book of "Biblical corrections".

Egad!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Probably too late for me - have read/studied the lovely KJV for 43 years, so have
already updated the archaic language for myself. Now I just simply keep reading,
studying, and believing/living by:

"Every Word That Proceedeth Out Of The Mouth Of God!" Amen?

GRACE And Peace...
I have always read the KJV. And I have heard the Lord bring the Word back to my remembrance in modern day language.

Example: In 1997, one day, having been under extreme attack for many weeks, I cried out to God to take me Home. I heard Him say, "You life is hidden with Christ in God." I said, "What did You say?!" And He said it again... "Your life is hidden with Christ in God!"

Colossians 3:3
[3]For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What concerns me about different translations of the Bible is if they are using the KJV as their source....meaning if there is an error in translation then the next translation includes that error and more than likely adds additional errors.
Example if the NIV was published to make reading the KJV easier to understand in our modern tongue and they didn't use the original source to translate then all they did was created an easy read Bible full of errors.
Jm2c

Modern translations use a far better collection of ancients manuscripts than the KJV translators, thousands vs "a handful". The NIV was based on excellent translation science. They did not use the KJV as a source.

A team of 15 biblical scholars, representing a variety of evangelical denominations,worked from the oldest copies of reliable texts, variously written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Each section was subjected to multiple translations and revisions, and those assessed in detail to produce the best option. Everyday Bible readers were used to provide feedback on ease of understanding and comprehensibility. Finally, plans were made to continue revision of the Bible as new discoveries were made and as changes in the use of the English language occurred.

New International Version - Wikipedia

For 10 years, Long and a growing group of like-minded supporters drove this idea. The passion of one man became the passion of a church, and ultimately the passion of a whole group of denominations. And finally, in 1965, after several years of preparatory study, a trans-denominational and international group of scholars met in Palos Heights, Illinois, and agreed to begin work on the project – determining to not simply adapt an existing English version of the Bible but to start from scratch with the best available manuscripts in the original languages. Their conclusion was endorsed by a large number of church leaders who met in Chicago in 1966.

A self-governing body of fifteen biblical scholars, the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT) was formed and charged with responsibility for the version, and in 1968 the New York Bible Society (which subsequently became the International Bible Society and then Biblica) generously undertook the financial sponsorship of the project. The translation of each book was assigned to translation teams, each made up of two lead translators, two translation consultants, and a stylistic consultant where necessary. The initial translations produced by these teams were carefully scrutinized and revised by intermediate editorial committees of five biblical scholars to check them against the source texts and assess them for comprehensibility. Each edited text was then submitted to a general committee of eight to twelve members before being distributed to selected outside critics and to all members of the CBT in preparation for a final review. Samples of the translation were tested for clarity and ease of reading with pastors, students, scholars, and lay people across the full breadth of the intended audience. Perhaps no other translation has undergone a more thorough process of review and revision. From the very start, the NIV sought to bring modern Bible readers as close as possible to the experience of the very first Bible readers: providing the best possible blend of transparency to the original documents and comprehension of the original meaning in every verse. With this clarity of focus, however, came the realization that the work of translating the NIV would never be truly complete. As new discoveries were made about the biblical world and its languages, and as the norms of English usage developed and changed over time, the NIV would also need to change to hold true to its original vision.

And so in the original NIV charter, provision was made not just to issue periodic updates to the text but also to create a mechanism for constant monitoring of changes in biblical scholarship and English usage. The CBT was charged to meet every year to review, maintain, and strengthen the NIV’s ability to accurately and faithfully render God’s unchanging Word in modern English.

The 2011 update to the NIV is the latest fruit of this process. By working with input from pastors and Bible scholars, by grappling with the latest discoveries about biblical languages and the biblical world, and by using cutting-edge research on English usage, the Committee on Bible Translation has updated the text to ensure that the New International Version of the Bible remains faithful to Howard Long’s original inspiration.

New International Version (NIV) - Version Information - BibleGateway.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Modern translations use a far better collection of ancients manuscripts than the KJV translators, thousands vs "a handful". The NIV was based on excellent translation science. They did not use the KJV as a source.

A team of 15 biblical scholars, representing a variety of evangelical denominations,worked from the oldest copies of reliable texts, variously written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Each section was subjected to multiple translations and revisions, and those assessed in detail to produce the best option. Everyday Bible readers were used to provide feedback on ease of understanding and comprehensibility. Finally, plans were made to continue revision of the Bible as new discoveries were made and as changes in the use of the English language occurred.

New International Version - Wikipedia

For 10 years, Long and a growing group of like-minded supporters drove this idea. The passion of one man became the passion of a church, and ultimately the passion of a whole group of denominations. And finally, in 1965, after several years of preparatory study, a trans-denominational and international group of scholars met in Palos Heights, Illinois, and agreed to begin work on the project – determining to not simply adapt an existing English version of the Bible but to start from scratch with the best available manuscripts in the original languages. Their conclusion was endorsed by a large number of church leaders who met in Chicago in 1966.

A self-governing body of fifteen biblical scholars, the Committee on Bible Translation (CBT) was formed and charged with responsibility for the version, and in 1968 the New York Bible Society (which subsequently became the International Bible Society and then Biblica) generously undertook the financial sponsorship of the project. The translation of each book was assigned to translation teams, each made up of two lead translators, two translation consultants, and a stylistic consultant where necessary. The initial translations produced by these teams were carefully scrutinized and revised by intermediate editorial committees of five biblical scholars to check them against the source texts and assess them for comprehensibility. Each edited text was then submitted to a general committee of eight to twelve members before being distributed to selected outside critics and to all members of the CBT in preparation for a final review. Samples of the translation were tested for clarity and ease of reading with pastors, students, scholars, and lay people across the full breadth of the intended audience. Perhaps no other translation has undergone a more thorough process of review and revision. From the very start, the NIV sought to bring modern Bible readers as close as possible to the experience of the very first Bible readers: providing the best possible blend of transparency to the original documents and comprehension of the original meaning in every verse. With this clarity of focus, however, came the realization that the work of translating the NIV would never be truly complete. As new discoveries were made about the biblical world and its languages, and as the norms of English usage developed and changed over time, the NIV would also need to change to hold true to its original vision.

And so in the original NIV charter, provision was made not just to issue periodic updates to the text but also to create a mechanism for constant monitoring of changes in biblical scholarship and English usage. The CBT was charged to meet every year to review, maintain, and strengthen the NIV’s ability to accurately and faithfully render God’s unchanging Word in modern English.

The 2011 update to the NIV is the latest fruit of this process. By working with input from pastors and Bible scholars, by grappling with the latest discoveries about biblical languages and the biblical world, and by using cutting-edge research on English usage, the Committee on Bible Translation has updated the text to ensure that the New International Version of the Bible remains faithful to Howard Long’s original inspiration.

New International Version (NIV) - Version Information - BibleGateway.com
That's good to know...I wasn't picking on the NIV....that was the first one that came to me and only for an example.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gen 25:29 for an example. Since the Bible doesn't actually exist, it is usually beneficial to compare versions, especially when trying to understand a particular passage. A Strong's concordance can prove invaluable as well.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Before you update an old version, you need to fix its errors first. That means you have to have a very good understanding of all of the context that is expressed in the source texts.

Gen 25:29 for an example.

As for Gen 25:29, the writer was providing a brief outline of what was taking place and relying on the Oral Tradition to fill in the back story, if needed, of what was going down. Comparing what the understanding of what the other translation versions provide, does not necessarily reveal the actual back story such that we gain an understanding what was going down. In this story verses 29-34 provides all of the context that is needed without knowing the backstory from which Moses wrote these verses. Some people like to complicate things that do not need to be complicated by their lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would I use a translation that is not based on the best available manuscripts?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would...what do you think an updated version would contain that might be offensive?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before you update an old version, you need to fix its errors first. That means you have to have a very good understanding of all of the context that is express

As for Gen 25:29, the writer was providing a brief outline of what was taking place and relying on the Oral Tradition to fill in the back story, if needed, of what was going down. Comparing what the understanding of what the other translation versions provide, does not necessarily reveal the actual back story such that we gain an understanding what was going down. In this story verses 29-34 provides all of the context that is needed without knowing the backstory from which Moses wrote these verses. Some people like to complicate things that do not need to be complicated by their lack of knowledge.

You ain't kiddin Jay. But because of verses like Gen 25:29 you see the need for updating, as languages evolve. Being 68 yrs old I know a cult is a religious organization, most picture it as a church of satan. I believe being gay is happy go lucky feeling, whereas many associate it with homosexuality. A faggot is a bundle of sticks, etc.

Reactions: Jim B

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ain't kiddin Jay. But because of verses like Gen 25:29 you see the need for updating, as languages evolve. Being 68 yrs old I know a cult is a religious organization, most picture it as a church of satan. I believe being gay is happy go lucky feeling, whereas many associate it with homosexuality. A faggot is a bundle of sticks, etc.
The word of God must evolve?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

No more than what you do, with your no kidding statements. I did not introduce Gen 25:29 into the conversation, you did Robert.

As for being 68 years old, and having a good handle on the "slang" that has and is being used is not the question I was answering. The question I was hinting at was why was Esau so willing to sell his birthright to Jacob in this short account provided. The author of Genesis did not attempt to provide an answer to this question, he only pointed out that Esau was willing to sell his birthright and then some twenty or so years later claim that Jacob had stolen his birthright from him years earlier.

I would humbly suggest to you that all of our English translations have contextual errors written into them, but, be as that may be, our present fallible translations are still our best means of getting an understanding about God at this present time.

As for referring to other translations to try and get a better understanding of what has been written into our favourite translations, this "checking of other translations" for a clearer understanding of the context of the passage in questions falls short when the same error has been written into all of the translations. Just because a number of translation provides the same contextual information does not make that contextual information true with respect to the source document's contextual understanding.

The problems that we have are the various interpretations that the teachers of Christianity religion vary so much that only confusion can prevail.

Shalom

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word of God must evolve?

Translations must keep pace with the changes in language. That is the main area where the KJV fails. Nobody on the planet speaks/reads/writes in early 17th century Englyshe.

See my post below...

Last edited: