Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.

Hi @BibleBeliever5 and, welcome to CB,
I casted "probably not" vote as, the KJV is what I started on and kept using for the most part and, it just seems easier to remember verses in KJ speak :)

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Thessalonians 3:1-2 KJV
[1] Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: [2] And that we may be delivered from unreasonable... men

So you think it's from God, can't help that lunacy.

The Douay–Rheims Bible is older and has been around since the 1500 and before that the longest used translation was the Latin Vulgate. So the KJV is absolutely not nothing special.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The KJV is a Church of England translation that was first popular in the early 1900's due to a marketing campaign...

Where it has its good points it also has its detractors.

So to which denomination is the translating going to be bent towards?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its been a while since I have given my thoughts on this, so here they are. I use the KJV solely. Its the one my Pastor preaches from and the one we as a Church use. We have our reasons, but I won't go into them. We simply feel its the best.

While I stick with the KJV, I don't put down other versions nor look down at someone who uses another version. Do I read other versions? Rarely, but sometimes out of interest I do. Sometimes if I am in a discussion with others who are using a different version, out of courtesy I will look at their choice of versions.

So overall, I use the KJV and believe its the best, but I am not snobbish about it. Bow if there is an issue between the KJV and another translation, sure... I am going to agree to look at other translations. Isa 45:7 for example... KJV says God created evil while other versions say he created calamity. Ok, well in that case we do have to look at other versions and multiple verses. I'm ok with doing that.

What I don't agree with is "Bible jumpers": those who go from version to version to pick and choose verses that line up with their doctrine. In other words, they like the KJV for one verse but disagree with it on another... So they find a different version that agrees with them or is at least more palatable. I simply don't agree with that practice and you will not find me doing that.

Next.. The "archaic" language... Sorry folks, thee and thou don't confuse me, hinder me or confuse me. If there's something I don't understand, I have dictionaries, encyclopedias and better yet, google. And I do have to do that at times. But I don't mind doing some work to understand God, so its all good with me.

Somebody mentioned that the KJV already has been revised and talked about the 1611 version. Well, I do have a 1611 edition. Not an original, but it looks like they tried to facsimile the pages to what it was originally. Yea, that's rough! I haven't read it in a while, but I think "v" was used for "w" and "i" for "j". Stuff like that makes it tough. So I am happy at least my regular Bible has updated fonts and letters.

So that's my take on it. No, I don't need another new King James... What would the call it? The Newer King James? The NNKJV? But then again, if you find comfort in it, so be it.

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay. Am I the only person who thinks that God is smart enough to preserve the word He wants us to have in the 21st century?

I use an NKJV btw. I like it.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its been a while since I have given my thoughts on this, so here they are. I use the KJV solely. Its the one my Pastor preaches from and the one we as a Church use. We have our reasons, but I won't go into them. We simply feel its the best.

While I stick with the KJV, I don't put down other versions nor look down at someone who uses another version. Do I read other versions? Rarely, but sometimes out of interest I do. Sometimes if I am in a discussion with others who are using a different version, out of courtesy I will look at their choice of versions.

So overall, I use the KJV and believe its the best, but I am not snobbish about it. Bow if there is an issue between the KJV and another translation, sure... I am going to agree to look at other translations. Isa 45:7 for example... KJV says God created evil while other versions say he created calamity. Ok, well in that case we do have to look at other versions and multiple verses. I'm ok with doing that.

What I don't agree with is "Bible jumpers": those who go from version to version to pick and choose verses that line up with their doctrine. In other words, they like the KJV for one verse but disagree with it on another... So they find a different version that agrees with them or is at least more palatable. I simply don't agree with that practice and you will not find me doing that.

Next.. The "archaic" language... Sorry folks, thee and thou don't confuse me, hinder me or confuse me. If there's something I don't understand, I have dictionaries, encyclopedias and better yet, google. And I do have to do that at times. But I don't mind doing some work to understand God, so its all good with me.

Somebody mentioned that the KJV already has been revised and talked about the 1611 version. Well, I do have a 1611 edition. Not an original, but it looks like they tried to facsimile the pages to what it was originally. Yea, that's rough! I haven't read it in a while, but I think "v" was used for "w" and "i" for "j". Stuff like that makes it tough. So I am happy at least my regular Bible has updated fonts and letters.

So that's my take on it. No, I don't need another new King James... What would the call it? The Newer King James? The NNKJV? But then again, if you find comfort in it, so be it.

Well, I only use the NNNNNNNKJV, so there! Hahaha. I am with you 100% here FHII, I do have an NASB, NKJV, NIV, and an ESV laying around somewhere but...I always go to the KJV. It is much easier to remember verses and, I ascually kind of like the language, the thee's, thou's, and sayest's are not confusing to me either.
To each their own I suppose, oh yeah...and having other versions also can clarify some things, especially from the OT.
Good Post brother

Reactions: FHII

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.
Not sure what the update is about but the KJV is the true Bible in the English language.

The modern Bibles are commentaries.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The NKJV is the closest.

I have used the KJV for over the last 35 of my 46 years with the Lord. I am used to the archaic language, have looked up nearly all their modern counterparts and such, so I am comfortable where I am.

When doing deeper studies, I will use bible hub with its 30+ English translations, but I poke around most in the greek and hebrew.

BibleBeliever5

Jan 30, 2021
The South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi and thanks for all the feedback! I want to let people know that I plan to continue monitoring the poll. So even if this post gets old, please vote at the poll at the top of the page if you have not. :) Thank you for voting!

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing “deep” in the word of God. But man makes it complicated with his vain imaginations.

Proverbs 18:4
The words of a man's mouth are deep waters; the fountain of wisdom is a bubbling brook.

When I mean deeper, I am talking linguistic studies. The KJV is a great Bible, but it still does not do justice to teh original languages in many areas. that requires a deeper study.

also one should be familiar with the culture of when the Bible was written to understand many things that language doesn't convey. It just makes the bible clearer and more alive.

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great question. I don't limit myself to translations. Instead, I open myself up to all translations. If I weren't willing to consider all translations, how could I consider listening to any human? In fact, I'm wildly interested in as many translations as I can get my hands on. I've got the New World Translation from the Mormons, the Jewish Tanakh for the Old Testament, and will one day obtain a Catholic translation. I'd say I currently use about 15 translations so that I can best understand the Word of God.

Enjoy them all!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I had a bit of a laugh whilst I was reading this. Recently I was reading through a Christian book stores catalogue and there were 48 different translations of the bible for sale. One would think that with all that choice we would be well versed and educated about the content of the bible. But no, we are still thrashing around trying to get to grips with what the bible actually says.

Add that to all the books out there (must be millions) and we should be ready, willing and able to welcome the return of Jesus. But no, we are still thrashing around in our denominational dictates which usually bear no resemblance to what is taught in scripture. No wonder people do not believe what we say as we don't even know what we are saying or believe.

If I had my way, I would close down every Sunday morning meeting and change it into a discipling time where the word of God is expounded in all its glory and the people are given a practical task to do that week and report back the next Sunday the outcome of what they did.

P.S. I noticed that Biden has commenced his attack on the unborn, making it easier for them to be murdered.

2nd Timothy Group

Nov 8, 2020
Cashmere
www.youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I had my way, I would close down every Sunday morning meeting and change it into a discipling time where the word of God is expounded in all its glory and the people are given a practical task to do that week and report back the next Sunday the outcome of what they did.

Exactly! However, this would require a Circumcised Heart . . . and very few have ever turned to Christ for the removal of the Curse of Adam and Eve. In fact, most Christians don't realize that they're supposed to be relieved of this Curse. They have no clue that the Bible deals, intently, with the Purification of evil from our Hearts. Those with Purified Hearts have been made to please God. Those who do not please God have not been made, by God, to please God.

Reactions: marksman