Thoughts about using a KJV update?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Would you use a KJV update?

• Yes

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Probably

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Probably not

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(20) Acts 9:5–6
KJV
: And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Discrepancy: The bolded part of this scripture is an addition and does not appear in the older manuscripts.

(21) Acts 15:34
KJV: Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts and is worded differently between newer manuscripts.

(22) Acts 13:42
KJV: And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
NASB: As Paul and Barnabas were going out, the people kept begging that these things might be spoken to them the next Sabbath.

Discrepancy The modification to the scripture, removes the names of Paul and Barnabas and changes the present and past tense and then added the word Gentiles into the scripture and changed the word spoken to preached.

(23) Acts 15:34
KJV: Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts and is worded differently between newer manuscript.

(24) Acts 24:6–8
KJV
: Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him.

Discrepancy: This scripture has been re-worded and does not appear in older manuscripts.

(25) Acts 28:29
KJV:
And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

Discrepancy
This verse is an addition and does not appear in the older manuscripts.

(26) Romans 13:9

KJV: For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Discrepancy: Although “You shall not bear false witness” was part of the Commandments…it was not part of this verse….it was added.

(27) Romans 16:24
KJV:
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Discrepancy: This verse occurs twice in the KJV in this chapter; once as the conclusion to verse 20 and again as verse 24. But both are an addition to the scriptures not occurring in older manuscripts.

(28) Colossians 1:14
KJV:
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Discrepancy: The KJV added the words “through his blood” to this scripture. Not in the earlier manuscripts.

(29) 1st Timothy 6:5
KJV:
useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

Discrepancy:
“From such withdraw yourself” the KJV added this to the scripture. Does not appear in earlier manuscripts.

(30) 1st Peter 1:22
KJV:
Ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit.

Discrepancy: “through the Spirit” was added by the KJV. Does not appear in the earlier manuscripts.

(31) Revelation 5:14
KJV:
And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.

Discrepancy: Should read; And the four living creatures kept saying, “Amen.” And the elders fell down and worshiped. Him who lives for the ages and the ages.

The words “And the four and twenty” where added to the scripture and it does not appear in the earlier manuscripts. Part of this is a mis-translation.

(32) Revelation 21:24
KJV:
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

Discrepancy: Should read; The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring glory and honor of the nations of them into it.

Ding ding ding! The KJV is not the only one that got this one wrong.

Any requests for the Old Testament?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You keep bringing this point up about the marginal notes. MARGINAL NOTES ARE NOT THE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD!

I actually agree with limiting marginal notes of a commentary nature. Marginal notes should only be used to explain translational issues!

The marginal notes in the Geneva Bible were ADDED by the translators, not God!

You're contradicting yourself! You wrote," I actually agree with limiting marginal notes of a commentary nature. Marginal notes should only be used to explain translational issues!", which is what the Geneva Bible does. But King James didn't like the translational issues because they didn't glorify him! King James had them removed because they challenged the divine right of kings.

Doesn't the Bible that you use have marginal notes? My KJV is loaded with marginal notes.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is bad comedy.

@Jim B uses the corrupted Alexandrian Texts to “prove” errors in a translation based on the Received Text. How intelligent you must be…

What a gross error.

You're so confused!!! I am not using the "corrupted Alexandrian Texts". I use translations based on the best sources, unlike the KJV.

How intelligent am I? I am a member of Mensa (the top 2% of general intelligence) and Intertel (the top 1% of general intelligence). What are your credentials?

Nice try, Michiah-Imla! You really look foolish!

P.S. You might review posts #921 and #922.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're so confused!!! I am not using the "corrupted Alexandrian Texts". I use translations based on the best sources

Those translations are based on the Alexandrian Text tradition! Which you call the “best sources”.

LOL!!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marginal notes should only be used to explain translational issues!", which is what the Geneva Bible does.

Yes, but the Geneva translators also added commentary into the margins that are not related to translational issues; these commentaries in the margin are what irked King James apparently.

I don’t want commentaries in the margin of my Bible! The KJV does not contain commentary in the margin, just literal renderings and alternate renderings here and there.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those translations are based on the Alexandrian Text tradition! Which you call the “best sources”.

LOL!!

Well you could not be more wrong.
Most of these new translations could care less about some else's work.

What you are describing is how the KJV used faulty sources.....The Catholic Vulgate...the Textus Receptus, the work of Erasmus 1516 AD and the Tyndale Bible.

Why would someone relay on someone else's work when you have some very reliable manuscripts. And if newer discoveries happen with better information, they do not worship their translations, they will make corrections....the search for the truth holds no allegiance to old information or traditions.

Depending on some one else's work is what got the KJV its reputation for inaccuracies.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you could not be more wrong.
Most of these new translations could care less about some else's work.

What you are describing is how the KJV used faulty sources.....The Catholic Vulgate...the Textus Receptus, the work of Erasmus 1516 AD and the Tyndale Bible.

Why would someone relay on someone else's work when you have some very reliable manuscripts. And if newer discoveries happen with better information, they do not worship their translations, they will make corrections....the search for the truth holds no allegiance to old information or traditions.

Depending on some one else's work is what got the KJV its reputation for inaccuracies.

Great post!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but the Geneva translators also added commentary into the margins that are not related to translational issues; these commentaries in the margin are what irked King James apparently.

I don’t want commentaries in the margin of my Bible! The KJV does not contain commentary in the margin, just literal renderings and alternate renderings here and there.

Literal renderings and alternate renderings? Really? So the KJV is not perfect! Thanks for finally admitting that!

You don't own any commentaries, Bible dictionaries, etc? No wonder you don't understand the Bible!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in keeping things in perspective. Here we are mostly discussing the inaccuracies of the KJV and the people that revere it no matter what.

But on the other hand....
I can sing the praises of the KJV.

1. How many millions of people have been lead to the Lord by the KJV Bible?
2. The Protestants used the Geneva Bible and the KJV Bible to separate themselves from all the corruptions and control of the Catholic Church. To get back to the basics. That needed to happen
3. To put the Bible in the hands of the believers.
4. How many miracles are associated with the KJV?
5. For public speaking and ceremonies, can there be a more beautiful reading of the scriptures? Very poetic.
6. Through the years some of these Bibles were the most beautifully illustrated Bibles. Literally works of art.
7. A study of the history of the KJV is a timeline of how Christian beliefs evolved through the centuries and how insistent they were that those beliefs were in the Bible.
8. For the fundamentalists-Bible only Christians, the KJV has been the mainstay for centuries. It is enough to lead you to the Lord and ultimately, that is what matters.

Last edited:

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't own any commentaries, Bible dictionaries, etc? No wonder you don't understand the Bible!

Commentaries and Bible Dictionaries often introduce unbiblical ideas to the scriptures.

Commentaries and Bible Dictionaries are not the pure word of God @Jim B

“A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.” (Galatians 5:9)

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Riddle me this..!

The cult is the people who hate the KJV, and want to demonize it, but there is no such thing as a KJO cult.

This is total nonsense. Where is the cult of people who hate the KJV located? Who is their leader? Is there a newsletter, web site, or publication that the members subscribe to?

I did find this online: The KJV Only cult is comprised of highly divisive people who make extreme and ludicrous declarations about the KJV in their efforts to exalt it as being the only word of God.
This belief is the very foundation of KJVO, but it is also proof that such people have given little or no serious thought to their own position, for to say such is also to imply there was no word of God before 1611. To be aware of this implication discredits the whole KJV Only foundation, for obviously the word of God was available without the 1611 KJV. It also implies there is no word of God in any language other than English! That means there is no word of God in Spanish, Russian, German, French, etc.! Again, this is absurd and obviously wrong.

It's an excellent description of the KJV Only cult. I found nothing about a cult of people who hate (your choice of word) the KJV.
I would not call the multiversionist conspirators a "cult".

They are simple lemmings for the enemy.

James Macbeth

May 17, 2022
College Station
m.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, I would love to hear the community’s feedback about using an update to the King James Version. I love the KJV. But the translation is in the main about 400 years old (spelling changes were made in 1769). So if there were an update that simply and accurately updated the KJV, making no changes except updating the archaic language, would you want to use it? What would be your thoughts generally about such an update? It would be great to hear what you all think. May God be glorified.

*Update April 17, 2022: There is a project going on to update the KJV. www.kjvupdate.com

Total waste of time.
A. The KJB is fine just the way it is.
B. It has already been done by a few times.
C. New better Bibles already exist.
D. As a translator, I can tell you it would be very hard not to add improvements, other than just updating the older English.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are far too many errors in the KJV to list them all here. An excellent clue to why a particular translation is false is to determine why it was created in the first place. If you read my post #912, you will see wwho King James was as a person and why the KJV was created.

Here is two excerpts: Instructions were given to the translators that were intended to limit the Puritan influence on this new translation. The Bishop of London added a qualification that the translators would add no marginal notes (which had been an issue in the Geneva Bible). King James cited two passages in the Geneva translation where he found the marginal notes offensive to the principles of divinely ordained royal supremacy.

the King gave the translators instructions designed to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of the Church of England.
No, what does God's word REALLY say that the KJV translators missed?

I mean, do side by side scripture comparisons with your favorite "God's word" against it for us....

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya got to be careful what you ask for....
A SHORT LIST OF ERRORS, MODIFICATIONS, ADDITIONS THAT APPEAR IN THE KJV FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT ONLY … MANY MORE IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.

As a matter of perspective all of these discrepancies do not originate from the King James Version of the scriptures…many of them were adopted from the Jewish Vulgate Translation, the William Tyndale Bible and the Geneva Bible. At times the translators of the KJV played the Amplified Bible thing LOL where they would add words that they thought clarified the meaning of the verse….

(1) Matthew 9:13
KJV: But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

Discrepancy: The KJV added “to repentance”..ie come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

(2) Matthew 17:21
KJV: Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition and not found in earlier manuscripts.

(3) Matthew 18:11

KJV: For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition and not found in earlier manuscripts. But a longer version of this appears in Luke 19:10.

(4) Matthew 20:16
KJV: …. for many be called, but few chosen.

Discrepancy: An addition and a duplication of Matthew 22:14 and not found in earlier manuscripts.

(5) Matthew 23:14
KJV: Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts. And is an expansion of similar verses in Mark and Luke.

(6) Mark 7:16

KJV: If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

Discrepancy: This verse is nearly identical with verses 4:9 and 4:23. But this verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts.

(7) Mark 9:44 - 46
KJV: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. .. (Both verses identical to each other, and to 9:48, which is still in the main text)

Discrepancy: Both verses 44 and 46 are duplications of verse 48. These verses are additions and not found in earlier manuscripts.

(8) Mark 11:26
KJV: But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Discrepancy: This verse is very similar to Matthew 6:15 but this verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts.

(9) Mark 15:28
KJV: And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, "And he was numbered with the transgressors."

Discrepancy: This verse is similar to Luke 22:37. But this verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts. It does not appear in any manuscript until the 6th century.

(10) Mark 16: 9-20
KJV
Eleven verses added to the ending of the Gospel of mark.

Discrepancy: The KJV adds eleven verses to the end of the Gospel of Mark. Not found in earlier manuscripts.

(11) Luke 4:4
KJV:
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Discrepancy: The KJV added the words; but by every word of God.

(12) Luke 4:8
KJV:
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

NASB: Jesus replied to him, “It is written: ‘YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.’”

Discrepancy: This is an addition and a reworking of the scriptures. Also get behind me, Satan, does not appear in the earlier manuscripts.

(13) Luke 17:36
KJV:
Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

Discrepancy: This verse is obviously a rewording of Matthew 24:40. This verse is an addition….not found in earlier manuscripts.

(14) Luke 23:17
KJV: For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.

Discrepancy: The same verse or a very similar verse appears in Matthew 27:15 and Mark 15:6. But in Luke they are additions. Not appearing in older manuscripts.

(15) Luke 24:40
KJV:
And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition and does not occur in older manuscripts.

(16) 1 John 5:7–8
The infamous Comma johannine Addition

KJV: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Discrepancy: This is a well known reworking of the scriptures to support a theological belief of the time period.

(17) John 8:1-11
KJV: The story of the Adulterous Woman brought before Christ
Reason: This is an addition and no part of it appears in older manuscripts.

(18) The words witch witchcraft and bewitched in the KJV
KJV
Exodus 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. Sorceress here pointed directly women.
Deuteronomy 18:10 The phrase here is practice magic.
1st Samuel 15:23 The word here is divination.
2nd Kings 9:22 The word here is sorcery.
2nd Chronicles 33:6 This verse is reworded from the original. The words here are sorcery and divination and mediums….the words wizards, enchantment, and familiar spirits were added.
Acts 8:9 The word here is amaze or astonish, not bewitched.
Acts 8:11 The word here also is amaze or astonish, not bewitched.
Galatians 3:1 Now this one is interesting, It appears once in the scriptures. Scholars do not agree on its use here or its meaning. Just that bewitched is not in the scriptures…. something like….cast a spell or enchanted.
Galatians 5:20 The word here is sorcery.

Discrepancies: The word witch, witchcraft, and bewitched cannot be in the scriptures because the words did not exist at that time. These insertions contributed to the horrible torture and deaths of millions. The word witch has it own mean(s) and imagery and superstitions associated with them, that are not biblical. The atrocities of the Church, both Catholic and Protestants that were associated with the witch-hunts and inquisitions are so horrible that we cannot discuss them on this forum. Most of the women and men that died were killed for their property, because they would charge them for the torture and executions. Most of the inquisitions were politically motivated or they were killing people of other faiths, not necessity none Christians. The word witch is mostly associated with women. The Catholic Church produced a book called the Malleus Maleficarum …Latin for the Hammer of Witches which was an instruction manual on how to locate and torture and execute witches, mostly female. A lot if the information in the Malleus Maleficarum was a collection of superstitions which eventually made its way into Christianity. First step, strip them and inspect them.

Now in perspective, there are witches….mostly nature witches and satanic witches. The new age beliefs dabble in this. I know Satan witches exist because I have had run in’s with them.

(18) John 9:4
KJV: I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.

Discrepancy: Should be; We must work the works of Him who sent Me….

(19) Acts 8:37
KJV: And Philip said, "If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest." And he [the Eunuch] answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Discrepancy: This verse is an addition to the scriptures….not found in earlier manuscripts.
Did you notice you offered ZERO scriptures from other versions to show the "KJV errors"?

Please do a side by side comparison to fix the KJV with another version comparison(the correct modern translation to fix the broken KJV verses).

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you notice you offered ZERO scriptures from other versions to show the "KJV errors"?

Not zero...LOL Did not want to write a book. I did explain the errors. A lot of them were verses that did not exist and some just added words...take those words out and you are good to go. For the scriptures that were re-written compare them to the NASB or NIV. And you can always take them to a linear Lexicon. And there are pretty good websites. For example;

Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Well "Get thee behind me, Satan" is not in the earlier manuscripts...see below. Now it is not always that simple. There are times that you have to drill down a little. Why are these verses not in the NIV or bracketed in the NASB....Well it is because they are not in the earlier manuscripts. Its not like these translations have issues with certain scriptures, they are just trying to be accurate.

Get behind me satan.JPG

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not zero...LOL Did not want to write a book. I did explain the errors. A lot of them were verses that did not exist and some just added words...take those words out and you are good to go. For the scriptures that were re-written compare them to the NASB or NIV. And you can always take them to a linear Lexicon. And there are pretty good websites. For example;

Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Well "Get thee behind me, Satan" is not in the earlier manuscripts...see below. Now it is not always that simple. There are times that you have to drill down a little. Why are these verses not in the NIV or bracketed in the NASB....Well it is because they are not in the earlier manuscripts. Its not like these translations have issues with certain scriptures, they are just trying to be accurate.

View attachment 22640
That is a Greek redefinitionist's opinion(Strongs etc).

Now, post your very favorite modern translation to prove the KJV is wrong and it is right.

Can't do it because Strongs proves the modern stuff wrong also?

Is Mr. Strong your adopted Bible?

Did you know he was not a linguist by profession(only an honorary PHD)?

Yet you quote him as the Bible debunker...

A Dire Warning About Dr. James Strong

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Commentaries and Bible Dictionaries often introduce unbiblical ideas to the scriptures.

Commentaries and Bible Dictionaries are not the pure word of God @Jim B

“A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.” (Galatians 5:9)
Yes, these extra Biblical works are designed to debunk the Bible.

What a stupid thing to do to Christendom.

I guess these fellers that create these redefinitions are just tools of ....

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a Greek redefinitionist's opinion(Strongs etc).

Now, post your very favorite modern translation to prove the KJV is wrong and it is right.

Can't do it because Strongs proves the modern stuff wrong also?

Is Mr. Strong your adopted Bible?

Did you know he was not a linguist by profession(only an honorary PHD)?

Yet you quote him as the Bible debunker...

A Dire Warning About Dr. James Strong

LOL Just information for you.

As far as linguistic information I recommend the Strong's. For your average person it is cheap and pretty accurate.

But it inherits all the errors of the KJV, because it is tied directly to it.

No harm, no foul. My ministry is to give truth....you do not believe it or do not like it....no offence.

Very little pressure on me...... Johnny Appleseed of Truth.....I plant the seeds.....I leave it up to God to go from there.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, these extra Biblical works are designed to debunk the Bible.

What a stupid thing to do to Christendom.

I guess these fellers that create these redefinitions are just tools of ....

Four legs good, two legs bad...

To write that these extra Biblical works are designed to debunk the Bible is beyond nonsense. Why do you throw scholarship out the window in favor of your own closed mind?

Reactions: Grailhunter