Traditions of Men - According to the Bible.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are verses you can find in the bible from Isaiah up to 1 Peter, that all have to pertain to the traditions of Men.

As the bible is an enjoyment to look at and read, and seek to understand the things of God and the Lord Jesus Christ - His Son - The Son of God, who is our Lord.

Questions always seem to arise from new believers and even from older people in the faith, about many different topics in the bible.

When asked these questions - Depending on whom may be bring forth the question ; normally as humans we respond by our own perceived and taught notions that come with the territory of learning the bible from others.

Many things are handed down through traditions in families, and also according to the history of the brick and mortar churches that you and I have access to today.

Aside from this notion: There are many people whom are in the faith, that will give answers based of their own understanding, theological belief, viewpoint, and world viewpoint.

These are the bible verses, you can go and look at -: Even the whole Chapter of where they are found to get a grip on the context of what is being spoken of from the bible itself.

You are also freely able to Ask God to help you understand what you are reading, and to have spiritual understanding, and formulate your own thoughts of what the text is saying by the spirit of Christ/Holy Spirit guiding you.​

What you do with this information is totally up to you : These are freely given.

Is: 29: 13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Reading this chapter in context, talks about a place called Ariel; a city where David was dwelling. It goes on to talk about 'God's Judgement on Jerusalem'. It talks about people who are in blindness of disobedience, and may other things. It also talks about the verse here we have now in front of us verse 13: Which was spoken by (Paul?) later on in Romans?

Either way you can see here that the people in that day, were speaking about the Lord with their mouth, even with their lips honouring God, however their hearts were not no where near God at all, and their respect towards God wasn't by teaching what God taught. Instead the people taught what they decided to teach by their own precept - rather than Gods.

Matthew 15:
3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
The very start of the context for this chapter in Matthew 15; is the Scribes and Pharisees who came from Jerusalem, came to Jesus - Asking Him, why Does His disciples transgress the traditions of the elders? (verse 2.) - And Jesus Christ answered from verses 3 to 6.

As you can see, that scribes and Pharisees were trying to pull one over on Jesus Christ - However Yeshua understanding this asked them a question back in response ->

Why do you transgress the commandment of God by your own tradition?

For God commanded saying honor your father and mother - > He that curses father and mother are to be put to death. -> At this point in Jerusalem the people had gone far away from the Law God has made and the scribes and Pharisees there were living by their own rules, so they did not have to be put to death whenever they decided to put their father or mother on hold when it came to helping them by placing and saying I have given to God already what has been done and am to busy for you and can not help now.

So because of them living by their own traditions they made God's commandments null and void -> which was to Love God first, and Love Your neighbour as yourself.

They placed their mother and father last by not helping them which was punishable by the punishment of death according the Law back then which Christ Jesus came and fulfilled.

Mark 7:
3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.

4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.

5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
Okay, so the opening to Mark 7 is : The Pharisees and some of the Scribes came to Yeshua Christ, having come from Jerusalem.

Pay attention to what is being said very carefully through verses 3-8.

You can see that the Pharisees and Scribes are appalled by the Disciples of Yeshua, that they did not wash their hands -> according to the traditions that they had kept and had attained for many years. Washing their hands to be clean before eating, also washing the outsides of cups and plates. All of these things were traditions of Men.

What does washing hands, indicate as a picture? A cleaning of the outside of man. To appear clean but inside they are not clean.

Jesus Christ is the answer, whom makes us clean with-in by God renewing our mind, and renewing our hearts. The cleaning comes from with-in and the outside of us as humans really doesn't mean as much. You can appear as clean as you desire, but can most certainly be inside - dead dry bones - with no warmth and a stone cold heart.

God can restore those things with-in you, by our fleshly mind, and stony heart, with a resurrection of having a spiritual mind, renewed creation in Christ, renewed heart, and renewed mind from spiritual rebirth.

Either way just notice: That these are traditions of men when the scribes are appalled on the account of the disciples are not washing their hands before eating.

Galatians 1:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Here in Galatians you will see Paul speaking about his former life. If you would like more context please start from verse 1 onward. This is talking about how Paul very advanced in Judaism, beyond many other people in his own nation, being exceedingly zealous for the traditions of his fathers before Him.

Paul do believe - persecuted the church, and had people killed being a zealot in his former life before meeting Christ Yeshua on the road to Damascus.

So here you can see even the Apostle Paul speaks against the traditions of men at least what pertained to him, and his own life experience -> Christ Yeshua; And God of course changed him, by the holy spirit.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
This is a warning to the Colossians; in Chapter two Paul is telling the Colossians here to be mindful, not to carry on with the traditions of men, that followed after the rudiments of the world by their own worldly understanding, and philosophy and vain deceit.

They are being warned to be on guard to not fall captive to the thinking of men and the wisdom they had to give ; and instead to focus on Christ Yeshua, and continue having faith in Him, and focus rather on spiritual things rather than the world itself (in a sense of becoming lost in what the world has to give compared to what God has to offer and give unto them - even us as believers now today)

Titus 1:14 : Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
This is a book named Titus wrote by Paul to Titus (am starting to fore tell these things now) - anyway, Titus had a task to do while he was in Crete. One of those jobs was to teach the elders there not to give heed to Jewish fables, - do not give heed to commandments of men - that have turned from the truth of Christ Yeshua.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
This is from Peter, who was writing to exiles scattered abroad remind them how to live before God our Father, of the Lord Jesus Christ. To be careful to not get mixed in with corruptible things (the world), and that is not of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May God get the glory, and may people who desire to learn, go for the learning!

Take care, Amadeus.
Yes indeed my friend but some people are also like children with very short attention spans. When I was younger I read more and longer and deeper. Now, a physically old man, I read slower and cannot easily make myself stay with it. The exception for me is in my Bible reading. I developed the habit of reading and talking with God every morning many years ago. It is the one place where I don't take short cuts because I need it like some people need a good natural breakfast. My early time with Him helps me make it through my day.

Give God the glory!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes indeed my friend but some people are also like children with very short attention spans. When I was younger I read more and longer and deeper. Now, a physically old man, I read slower and cannot easily make myself stay with it. The exception for me is in my Bible reading. I developed the habit of reading and talking with God every morning many years ago. It is the one place where I don't take short cuts because I need it like some people need a good natural breakfast. My early time with Him helps me make it through my day.

Give God the glory!

You are absolutely right about that, because am one of those children haha!

It took a lot of time to go through and type it all up, someone will make it through though if they desire to. Most people in this life like you said have short attention spans, an for me am one of them.

For me Amadeus would like to make it much easier eventually after doing studies and restudying it after typing it and printing it off would like to present it as a teaching of what is founded in the bible when it comes down to - these certain topics.

As this one is pertaining to the traditions of men - which is according to the bible. What profound information this is able to help people decide if they desire to trust in men and their traditions or place their trust in our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

:) Thank you for kind response, and yes absolutely may God, and the Lord Jesus Christ always receive the praise.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions always seem to arise from new believers and even from older people in the faith, about many different topics in the bible.

When asked these questions - Depending on whom may be bring forth the question ; normally as humans we respond by our own perceived and taught notions that come with the territory of learning the bible from others.

As opposed to what; learning from the Bible ourselves? My pastor recently preached on how the Bible is not the thing. The thing is to have the Spirit of God in you. What is your thesis statement in this thread?

Reactions: APAK and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are absolutely right about that, because am one of those children haha!

It took a lot of time to go through and type it all up, someone will make it through though if they desire to. Most people in this life like you said have short attention spans, an for me am one of them.

For me Amadeus would like to make it much easier eventually after doing studies and restudying it after typing it and printing it off would like to present it as a teaching of what is founded in the bible when it comes down to - these certain topics.

As this one is pertaining to the traditions of men - which is according to the bible. What profound information this is able to help people decide if they desire to trust in men and their traditions or place their trust in our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

:) Thank you for kind response, and yes absolutely may God, and the Lord Jesus Christ always receive the praise.
When you have something to present here and it seems too long even to you, consider breaking it into two or three parts, posting each part as one post. I expect you will find that someone who would not read the long single post may eventually read all of the pieces...

Reactions: Wrangler

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Give God the glory!
i can't take in long posts either.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As opposed to what; learning from the Bible ourselves? My pastor recently preached on how the Bible is not the thing. The thing is to have the Spirit of God in you. What is your thesis statement in this thread?

Hello Wrangler,

What do you mean by opposed to what?

What do you mean your pastor preached on how the bible is the not the thing?

What does it mean to you to have the Spirit of God in You?

What do you mean about -> 'thesis statement in this thread'? Opposed to what?

When you have something to present here and it seems too long even to you, consider breaking it into two or three parts, posting each part as one post. I expect you will find that someone who would not read the long single post may eventually read all of the pieces...

Maybe will consider that Amadeus thank you.

Hello Pearl,

Life can be * one long burden. :p Thanks be to God we have peace through faith because of Christ Jesus right? Though we also rejoice in sufferings for Christ Jesus due to hope. Romans 5:1-10.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you God for people who can't read long post, bless them and take care of them anyway.

Hi triump1300.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that I cannot and will not read all of the posts on this forum. One thing I started doing a long time ago was skipping most long posts... especially if they are typed single space with no paragraph breaks.

Forcing myself to read and study that kind of thing when I was still working on a secular job was burning up my brain. That was one reason I took early retirement 20 years ago. I enjoyed the work but that kind of stressful activity was killing me. I won't do that here either. My mind still works after 20 years, but God still has some things for me to do before the end of my course. Without a proper incentive [e.g. the leading of the Holy Spirit] I am fairly consistent in this way of reading on the forum...

Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I suspect the very long posts are "copy/paste" jobs.
(I have done it myself when I thought it was a good answer to a question someone asked.
I did put "quote" in front of it, indicating it was not mine)
I just cannot handle sitting here a long time typing....and English is not my mother language....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know that I cannot and will not read all of the posts on this forum. One thing I started doing a long time ago was skipping most long posts... especially if they are typed single space with no paragraph breaks.

Forcing myself to read and study that kind of thing when I was still working on a secular job was burning up my brain. That was one reason I took early retirement 20 years ago. I enjoyed the work but that kind of stressful activity was killing me. I won't do that here either. My mind still works after 20 years, but God still has some things for me to do before the end of my course. Without a proper incentive [e.g. the leading of the Holy Spirit] I am fairly consistent in this way of reading on the forum...

Thank you for opening up more about yourself. Am the same way, do not plan on reading all the post in this forum, nor will be able to really responded to everyone when it comes to the internet really especially on long post that are 7 tabs deep, can only really answer the first original question give my statement and then leave it at that.

When it comes to internet forums, do enjoy chatting, but also still enjoy teaching regardless of having a job or not - teaching is something that has become something would desire to do to help encourage people in reading the bible, and to grow in the knowledge of Gods will, spiritual understanding and the wisdom that can be found in Christ Jesus.

There are people who are young that might latch on, or new in Christ, or are interested in just the topic of Traditions of Men and what the bible has to say according to it.

Everything we do as humans is a choice. We can or we wont.

I suspect the very long posts are "copy/paste" jobs.
(I have done it myself when I thought it was a good answer to a question someone asked.
I did put "quote" in front of it, indicating it was not mine)
I just cannot handle sitting here a long time typing....and English is not my mother language....

Hello Triumph1300

Normally enjoy doing my own work when it comes to learning about the bible, and sharing it. For a long time now it has been on my heart to desire to continue in teaching the bible.

Thank you for commenting so can give you that information this was all done by my own hand from the help of God by the spirit, and also a Thompson Chain reference bible.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Normally enjoy doing my own work when it comes to learning about the bible, and sharing it. For a long time now it has been on my heart to desire to continue in teaching the bible.

Thank you for commenting so can give you that information this was all done by my own hand from the help of God by the spirit, and also a Thompson Chain reference bible.

Bless you real good, bro!
Job well done.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glory to God never me, maybe people will read and learn about whether or not they will end up trusting men and their traditions or trusting God, and the Lord Jesus Christ and their ways instead of the worldly ways.

Take care, Triumph1300 -> going for a nice walk now do believe.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you God for people who can't read long post, bless them and take care of them anyway.

Yes. Good prayer, Lol.

As a long standing member here who has discussed this issue with others several times, I would suggest you might wanna scale things down for the OP, and maybe introduce the topic with a third of that content to start. You can always add to the thread the rest of it once the discussion gets underway. But on forums, introducing a thread like that is kinda like going up to a person and saying, "Hi, my name is such and such. Have you ever thought about how this situation leads into this problem and then that problem creates a new problem with it's own set of difficulties, and then you are faced with a choice between Option A, which will result in these things happening, or Option B which will result in a whole new set of circumstances? Of course, there's always C, D, E, and F, which all have their own particular set of advantages and disadvantages...." And five minutes later you are still talking.

When you finally stop, you realize whoever you were talking to walked off about four minutes ago.

Just a heads up. You will get more viewership if you shorten your posts.

God bless,
Hidden

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a heads up. You will get more viewership if you shorten your posts.

Btw, I do understand, trust me. I am a teacher, and you have a natural tendency to get the ball rolling and keep it going to build some real momentum. But human nature, especially in the age of the soundbite, makes that rather difficult to do.