Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?
According to the following verse I’d say that Christ clearly shows that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did. Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Hmm, we have to rethink some of these ideas on it being done away with..

If you look, Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules. Christ clearly shows He did not abolish it in what He said..
Matthew 5:17
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God..
Mark 7:6-9
"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition..."

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus! I won't.

Reactions: mailmandan

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?
According to the following verse I’d say that Christ clearly shows that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did. Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Hmm, we have to rethink some of these ideas on it being done away with..
You make a cardinal error in understanding the Scriptures.

1. god inspired the Scriptures.
2. We must keep things in context.
3. We must ask teh six basic questions to understand communication--who ,what, where, when, why.
4. The context of this verse is written to jews on the Mount of Olives and of Israel.

Teh Sabbath was ordained for Israel alone as a sign between god and Israel.

Why all Scriptures are equally inspired, not all Scriptures are equally applicable to all people in all ages.

Reactions: mailmandan

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath was ordained for Israel alone as a sign between God and Israel.

Actually it was Saturday sabbath that was ordained for Israel alone as a sign between God and Israel.

There is a sabbath under the New Covenant but it is not limited to just one day a week as some suppose.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Spoken to Jews living in Israel... to Whom the Law of Moses was given to

Not applicable to Christians
Sure - take yourself as example <the Law is not applicable to> you. That is very clear!
- take yourself as example you're not a <Jew living in Israel>? That is very clear!
- ever asked yourself <the Law spoken to Jews living in Israel> BY WHOM?... <the Law given to Moses> BY WHOM?
By the God <Not applicable to Christians>.
Come on, that's what YOU say: <Not applicable to Christians>.
Then WHICH God is it whose Law is spoken to you?
Tell him to speak harder, it seems only you can hear him. Or better, speak you on his behalf, help the poor fellow man!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus can help you out with that....

Luke 16:16
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time
the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Why can't Jesus help you out with it that "the kingdom of God is preached ... since that time the law and the prophets were, until John," by Jesus Himself?
9:44 PM · Feb 15, 2024

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Luke 16:16 "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time
the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it", has one meaning, which is not Big Boy Johnson's, but is "God's Eternal Purpose in Christ", that: "The Kingdom of God since the Law and the Prophets UNTIL John" (the Baptist who was the "last of the prophets"), was peached. "THE KINGDOM OF GOD WAS PREACHED."

What was preached since the Law and the Prophets, until John, was the Kingdom of God. O you blind who lead the blind into the darkness of eternal hell!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did the New Covenant take effect?
The New Covenant "took effect," so to speak, as soon as Christ pledged Himself to die for the sins of mankind.

The Bible says that Christ is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Revelation 13:8)

No one has ever been saved without the provisions of the New Covenant.

The "Old" and "New" Covenants are not anywhere near as much a matter of history as they are stages in a person's spiritual life.

Everyone is born with the tendency to make provision for their own existence, survival, and—as the reality of mortality unfolds—eternal life. This is the working out of the Old Covenant.

When the realization comes that the wages of sin is death and that we have no price to bring, we realize we must cling to the Cross of the New Covenant.

This view is by no means a popular one but, you asked. :)

'
google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

'

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it was Saturday sabbath that was ordained for Israel alone as a sign between God and Israel.

There is a sabbath under the New Covenant but it is not limited to just one day a week as some suppose.
Sabbath was ordained as a day of rest for Israel. We have entered into a permanent Sabbath.

Reactions: rwb and mailmandan

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sabbath was ordained as a day of rest for Israel. We have entered into a permanent Sabbath.
Says Ronald Nolette. But has no Scripture for, to say. Which is long since, over-boring overbearing, and without initiative or origin-ality I could compose a song on two yes 2 notes for all its words and kakaphonic repetitions in the world.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then WHICH God is it whose Law is spoken to you?

I live under the New Covenant under the Law of Christ... which says
nothing about Christians being required tro rest and worship on Saturday. disagree.gif

Feel free to live under the old covenant under the law of moses.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Why can't Jesus help you out with it that "the kingdom of God is preached ... since that time the law and the prophets were, until John," by Jesus Himself?

The Lord Jesus has me on the straight and narrow path living under the New Covenant under the Law of Christ... thank you so much for your misguided concern! I know you mean well, but trying to lead people away from the Lord isn't not going to work on me.

Maybe you can try with others and see how it goes.

What was preached since the Law and the Prophets, until John, was the Kingdom of God. O you blind who lead the blind into the darkness of eternal hell!
laughing2.gif
That's exactly the opposite of what Jesus said!

And here we go again... the claim that those that don't follow SDA doctrine are doomed to hell
That's hilarious! laughing4.gif

Exactly! Those under the law of moses only had rest from without and just one day a week.

New Covenant Christians have rest within by the indwelling Holy Spirit at all times, not just one day a week

Says Ronald Nolette. But has no Scripture for, to say. Which is long since, over-boring overbearing, and without initiative or origin-ality I could compose a song on two yes 2 notes for all its words and kakaphonic repetitions in the world.
poo.gif
You have NO scripture saying New Covenant Christians are required to only rest and worship the Lord on Saturday clueless-doh.gif

Would you like to backup and punt, or try again? clueless-scratching.gif

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I live under the New Covenant under the Law of Christ... which says
nothing about Christians being required tro rest and worship on Saturday. View attachment 41677

Feel free to live under the old covenant under the law of moses.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

The Lord Jesus has me on the straight and narrow path living under the New Covenant under the Law of Christ... thank you so much for your misguided concern! I know you mean well, but trying to lead people away from the Lord isn't not going to work on me.

Maybe you can try with others and see how it goes.

View attachment 41678
That's exactly the opposite of what Jesus said!

And here we go again... the claim that those that don't follow SDA doctrine are doomed to hell
That's hilarious! View attachment 41679

Exactly! Those under the law of moses only had rest from without and just one day a week.

New Covenant Christians have rest within by the indwelling Holy Spirit at all times, not just one day a week

View attachment 41680
You have NO scripture saying New Covenant Christians are required to only rest and worship the Lord on Saturday View attachment 41681

Would you like to backup and punt, or try again? View attachment 41682
There is my answer to you and your billions of Sunday worshippers who RAPE Scripture, God's Holy Written Word where Jesus the Living Word of God SPEAKS: in Luke 16:16.
1. First YOU ALL RAPE Jesus' Word by divorcing verse 16 from its context verses 13 to 18 at least.
2. You gangrape Jesus' Word by divorcing/dividing/severing/BREAKING apart God's EVERLASTING COVENANT OF GRACE through Jesus Christ ONLY, and THRUSTING IN / PRESSING IN causing division where unity and continuity are perfect in particular as well as in whole :
16 The-law-and-the-prophets-*were until-John,
16 Ὁ-νόμος-καὶ-οἱ-προφῆται-μέχρι-Ἰωάνου

since then=when:
the kingdom of God is preached=was to be preached and INDEED WAS PREACEHED unchanged, unaltered, "the Everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ" "THE KINGDOM OF GOD".
ἀπὸ τότε· ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ Θεοῦ εὐαγγελίζεται.

3. WORSE: You gangrape THE GOD OF THE ONE KINGDOM OF GOD, and serve two masters worshipping as it were two gods, practicing IDOLATRY--verse 13 hating the Father of "the Kingdom of My Father" as you "despise" the Son of "the Kingdom of His Dear Son" --verse 14.

4. "Ye cannot serve God and mammon" says Jesus. "Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts." The Kingdom of God is not DIVIDED against itself like the kingdom of darkness and the devil's is. Since the Law and the Prophets until John The Same God of the UNINFILTRATED BY EVERY MAN same Kingdom of God is preached IN THE SCRIPTURES UNCONTAMINATED AND UNADULTERATED BY MEN "highly esteemed among men" who are "adulterers" in fact and an "abomination in the sight of God".
Jesus' WORD concerning such men who divorce the Husband from his only spouse the true Church of the Living God is final: "17 Indeed it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail."

O adulterers who while divorcee yourselves marry adulteresses.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians have entered into a permanent Sabbath rest, a "sabbatismos" rest (Hebrews 4:9) in contrast with Israel keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law. (Exodus 31:16-17; 35:1-3; Deuteronomy 5:15)

Reactions: rwb and Spyder