Understanding the Unquenchable Fire.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets look in scripture as many look at it and think the fire from God burns forever.
Mark 9:43-44
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Some ask what is the unquenchable fire that scripture speaks about that burns the wicked? Doesn't that mean it will never go out? Of course, it doesn't. To quench means to extinguish or put out. No one will be able to put out the fire of hell. That is the strange fire of God. No one will be able to escape from it by extinguishing it.

We see it also in “But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the Sabbath-day, and not bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath-day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.” Jeremiah 17:27.

But is it still burning today, we need to read and see how the Bible uses the word "quench." It does not mean fire that will never go out. Isaiah says of that fire, "Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor a fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14. After it has accomplished its work of destruction, that fire will go out.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is that eternal fire does not mean a fire that will never go out as we find same expression is used in Jude concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrha. "Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 7.

In this use for the fire of "eternal" "everlasting" many are applying modern definitions without reference to their ancient contextual usage and violates one of the most fundamental rules of interpretation.

Sodom and Gomorrha are not still burning today, yet they burned with "eternal fire," and we are told that it was an example of something. So what example is it of?

"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly." 2 Peter 2:6.

The eternal fire which brought Sodom to ashes is an example of what will finally happen to the wicked. So the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrha will also burn the wicked in the lake of fire. This is a eternal fire as like Sodom and Gomorrha they will be no more as it will burn the wicked to ashes.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife and rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lets look in scripture as many look at it and think the fire from God burns forever.
Mark 9:43-44
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Some ask what is the unquenchable fire that scripture speaks about that burns the wicked? Doesn't that mean it will never go out? Of course, it doesn't. To quench means to extinguish or put out. No one will be able to put out the fire of hell. That is the strange fire of God. No one will be able to escape from it by extinguishing it.

We see it also in “But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the Sabbath-day, and not bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath-day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.” Jeremiah 17:27.

But is it still burning today, we need to read and see how the Bible uses the word "quench." It does not mean fire that will never go out. Isaiah says of that fire, "Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor a fire to sit before it." Isaiah 47:14. After it has accomplished its work of destruction, that fire will go out.

Interesting Hobie. Isn't it strange how we can read and study the Bible then one day a light bulb seems to bring greater or better light of simple little things we've probably read many times! Without searching out 'quenching' for myself, off the top of my head I must say this is a reasonable and logical conclusion that I'm inclined to agree with. Now I'll go search out quench for myself. Thanks.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So for the wicked, the fire is unquenchable, because it will not be quenched, or caused to cease, till it has entirely devoured them. Thus will they perish in the fire and brimstone in the lake of fire at the end, and we see the Bible confirm this.

Psalm 37:20
But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.

Malachi 4:1
For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

Malachi 4:3
And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

The eternal fire burns up eternally, so the wicked will die forever, they will cease to exist for eternity.

• Love

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting Hobie. Isn't it strange how we can read and study the Bible then one day a light bulb seems to bring greater or better light of simple little things we've probably read many times! Without searching out 'quenching' for myself, off the top of my head I must say this is a reasonable and logical conclusion that I'm inclined to agree with. Now I'll go search out quench for myself. Thanks.
I think everything will be unveiled at the end, so its just who has their eyes and ears open..

• Love

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact is that eternal fire does not mean a fire that will never go out as we find same expression is used in Jude concerning the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrha. "Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Jude 7.

In this use for the fire of "eternal" "everlasting" many are applying modern definitions without reference to their ancient contextual usage and violates one of the most fundamental rules of interpretation.

Sodom and Gomorrha are not still burning today, yet they burned with "eternal fire," and we are told that it was an example of something. So what example is it of?

"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly." 2 Peter 2:6.

The eternal fire which brought Sodom to ashes is an example of what will finally happen to the wicked. So the fire that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrha will also burn the wicked in the lake of fire. This is a eternal fire as like Sodom and Gomorrha they will be no more as it will burn the wicked to ashes.

I always found myself in an inconsistent state of mind when the question of what the lake of fire shall be for those who are cast there. I've always had an emotional problem of the wicked being tormented forever in the lake of fire. I remained on the fence between verses that appear to say the suffering in the eternal fire for the wicked would never end, and those verses that say the lake of fire is the second death. You've helped me to better understand, and for now I can say that I believe the fire that non will be able to extinguish will completely burn up the wicked cast there and that they shall be no more forever. It seems logical to say there will be anguish and gnashing of teeth, as Christ tells us, but I now think it will not be without end. Again, thanks for shedding greater light for me.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Revelation 14:11​

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Annihilation is another lie of satan to deceive the ppl whom seek after God. God's word is truth, man's/women's are lies!

Judgment will be as God says and he does not lie!

Those cast in the lake of fire will burn eternally, just as God's children will live eternally!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always found myself in an inconsistent state of mind when the question of what the lake of fire shall be for those who are cast there. I've always had an emotional problem of the wicked being tormented forever in the lake of fire. I remained on the fence between verses that appear to say the suffering in the eternal fire for the wicked would never end, and those verses that say the lake of fire is the second death. You've helped me to better understand, and for now I can say that I believe the fire that non will be able to extinguish will completely burn up the wicked cast there and that they shall be no more forever. It seems logical to say there will be anguish and gnashing of teeth, as Christ tells us, but I now think it will not be without end. Again, thanks for shedding greater light for me.
Amen my brother, we must search Gods truth with all our heart and mind and see what He has for us..

Reactions: rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the eternal lake of fire.

Then why is the lake of fire the second death?

Revelation 20:14 (KJV) And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe he words of Jesus==

Matthew 25:46​

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Can you reconcile this verse with Rev 20:14, that there is not contradiction of Scripture? This is the problem with dogmatic beliefs, because IMO Scripture does not clearly confirm the opinion of everlasting punishment throughout.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that cannot understand and reject the very words of Jesus are far beyond my help.

Jesus says===46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that cannot understand and reject the very words of Jesus are far beyond my help.

Jesus says===46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

So why don't you believe Rev 20:14? Or do you say do, and yourself do not?

The lake of fire is the second death! These two verses must be reconciled or there is contradiction found in Scripture. It seems you cannot reconcile them, which is why I do not support no suffering and torment at all, nor do I support punishment that never ends??? Therefore, through what I've learned in this thread, there is a way the two can be reconciled which is, there is suffering and torment, and there is also death with the end of suffering and torment. So, the punishment of death is everlasting, none who go into the lake of fire will escape the everlasting punishment of the second death. Why? Because they shall be utterly burned up in the everlasting punishment of the second death.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First death is physical death second death is separation from God for eternity in the lake of fire.
Revelation 20:10, 14-15 tell us that the lake of fire never stops burning. It burns day and night

And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. Revelation 20:10 (NASB)
Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. Revelation 20:14 (NASB)
And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Revelation 20:15 (NASB)
Revelation 20:10 adds that the lake of sulfur fire burns forever and ever.