Unlearning To Learn

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unlearn to learn

Some believers have been so inundated and indoctrinated by the charisma of man, they can't move on in God.
To move on in God they will have to unlearn most of what they know and have been taught as gospel.
Not everything we have been taught is bad, but there comes a time when you are taught only by the HolySpirit.
God has always used man, but man can only take you so far, and sometimes what they have had to say must be overridden by the HolySpirit.
The unlearning process can be one of the hardest things a believer will ever go through.
The thing about understanding is, it can all go on a shelf, good or bad, and what you need for Christian living you can take back in time.
It will not kill you, you may feel like it at the time, but you will live.
It is the pet doctrines that is killing our spiritual growth.
Satan himself being the progenitor of religion, man's doctrine will parallel truth.
The important thing is to go through the unlearning, so you can be taught correctly by the HolySpirit.
It is not an easy process, Christians can spend years trying to make the things they have been taught work, to no avail.
Bits and pieces, and parts have worked, but a far cry from what they read about in the scriptures.
Left waning and wanting to find out how to put it all together.
Then there are those that hear the message and know by the Spirit they must make a change.
They have tried everything and still there is a hunger in their hearts for their Father.
They are the ones that hear His voice calling, deep calleth to deep.
They are the ones ready to surrender all and move on, no doctrine, no man made religion, no man has been able to satisfy that hunger, only the longing heart crying out for their Father, Abba Father, my Father my Father, these have grown up in Christ

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unlearn to learn

Some believers have been so inundated and indoctrinated by the charisma of man, they can't move on in God.
To move on in God they will have to unlearn most of what they know and have been taught as gospel.
Not everything we have been taught is bad, but there comes a time when you are taught only by the HolySpirit.
God has always used man, but man can only take you so far, and sometimes what they have had to say must be overridden by the HolySpirit.
The unlearning process can be one of the hardest things a believer will ever go through.
The thing about understanding is, it can all go on a shelf, good or bad, and what you need for Christian living you can take back in time.
Satan himself being the progenitor of religion, man's doctrine will parallel truth.
The important thing is to go through the unlearning, so you can be taught correctly by the HolySpirit.
It is not an easy process, Christians can spend years trying to make the things they have been taught work, to no avail.
Bits and pieces, and parts have worked, but a far cry from what they read about in the scriptures.
Then there are those that hear the message and know by the Spirit they must make a change.
They have tried everything and still there is a hunger in their hearts for their Father.
They are the ones ready to surrender all and move on, no doctrine, no man made religion, no man has been able to satisfy that hunger, only the longing heart crying out for their Father, Abba Father, my Father my Father, these have grown up in Christ

and what does this have to do with bible study?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
everything, imo; one brings their preconceptions to Bible study, and anyone who has not fallen off the cliff yet reveals that in their interpretation, which will conflict with other Scripture, that they will not want to face or discuss. Afterward one generally seeks these vv

Reactions: Helen

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I actually agree, proper understanding of scripture begins with abandoning pre-conceptions except. Christ as our Lord and saviour, because without him you can not receive the Holy Spirit. Then there would be no one to teach you and you would fall into error.

Reactions: soul man

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unlearn to learn

I totally agree.
I bobbed along very happily for me first 15 years..."learning , listening and adding to my bag of beliefs. It was not until later that the Father started poking His finger at by happy-bag and asking me to take some things out and reexamine them in light of some other scriptures.
With me..after that, everything come back to 'the balance of The Word'.
If we just cherry-pick our pet scriptures to support our favourite and chosen doctrines we stop growing in the Spirit.
The years of unpacking my Bag was painful and challenging...but at the same time it was a period of spending one-one time allowing God to speak things to me in more balance.
Another reason why I personally believe that people who sit under just one favourite bible teacher are in trouble ...the teacher teaches from his own perspective of the scripture.
Prov 11:14 " in the multitude of counsellors there is safety."
Back to the picture of the four blind men feeling their part of an elephant and describing what an elephant was like... 4 different viewpoints ..not one of them with the whole picture themselves...but together sharing a lot of the truth. Balance.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and what does this have to do with bible study?

I would think it was obvious...he is probably thinking that some of us may desire to share scriptures that they used to see one way...and how God corrected their course and showed them deeper truth on the same verse ....or even one which contradicts what they first believed when a young green Christian.
"Bible Study" is a happier place than "Debate"...debates can get ugly and often do. :(

Reactions: Pisteuo

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally agree.
I bobbed along very happily for me first 15 years..."learning , listening and adding to my bag of beliefs. It was not until later that the Father started poking His finger at by happy-bag and asking me to take some things out and reexamine them in light of some other scriptures.
With me..after that, everything come back to 'the balance of The Word'.
If we just cherry-pick our pet scriptures to support our favourite and chosen doctrines we stop growing in the Spirit.
The years of unpacking my Bag was painful and challenging...but at the same time it was a period of spending one-one time allowing God to speak things to me in more balance.
Another reason why I personally believe that people who sit under just one favourite bible teacher are in trouble ...the teacher teaches from his own perspective of the scripture.
Prov 11:14 " in the multitude of counsellors there is safety."
Back to the picture of the four blind men feeling their part of an elephant and describing what an elephant was like... 4 different viewpoints ..not one of them with the whole picture themselves...but together sharing a lot of the truth. Balance.

I dont believe we were wasting time in what ever we were caught in.
We learned, grew, so on, but like you say the time Will come in every believers life where the challenge will come to move on and growth in to the deeper things can begin.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I actually agree, proper understanding of scripture begins with abandoning pre-conceptions except. Christ as our Lord and saviour, because without him you can not receive the Holy Spirit. Then there would be no one to teach you and you would fall into error.
i agree, but the Good Samaritan would not be interested in our pov of Jesus at all though, i guess

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i agree, but the Good Samaritan would not be interested in our pov of Jesus at all though, i guess
He may be interested if our POV corresponds to what God wants to speak to the Good Samaritan.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rightly Dividing the Bible is so much Needed.................. Time Past......But Now ......... Ages to come.......

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unlearn to learn

And i have said this how many times.....

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Once more I do not understand. So be patient..I must be the bane of your life! ha!
Why wouldn't the Samaritan be interested in our point of view? If ours aligns with God's...for in the story the "Certain Samaritan" he had the point of view, he acted out the word of God by binding up the wounds and paying the price of the hotel! He did what Jesus did later...

So, can you clarify for me what your reference to him means here...thanks.
(I obviously missed what Iforrest and Amadeus 'got'....)

Reactions: pia

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Once more I do not understand. So be patient..I must be the bane of your life! ha!
Why wouldn't the Samaritan be interested in our point of view? If ours aligns with God's...for in the story the "Certain Samaritan" he had the point of view, he acted out the word of God by binding up the wounds and paying the price of the hotel! He did what Jesus did later...

well the GS is on the other side of the road from the Priest and the Levite, see, so it becomes a matter of who one identifies with personally; Christ, the Spirit, or Jesus, the Name. Just put "Muslim" in the place of "Samaritan" and go from there, imo

iow Christianity has its own Levites and Priests, so to speak

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Good Samaritan had a better message for us from God than the priests and Levites who passed by the man in need... or than too many who bear the label of Christian.

Reactions: pia and bbyrd009

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A message like this can easily be taken in a wrong way.
Like God doesn't use man, I do not believe that, the scripture teachs different, but then there is that one little scripture that says " you have no need for man to teach you."
I think that can be taken out of context as well.

Reactions: Truth and bbyrd009